PDA

View Full Version : Best small tool kit for range bag?

Mbiker_101
08-19-2013, 9:38 PM
Was at my local 3gun competition couple weeks ago and had an issue with my shootgun barrel clamp being a touch too tight. the shells would jam in the end and needed a Allen wrench but don't have one handy and luckily another 3gunner had an allen wrench so I could ditch the clamp.

So with this issue and a few other previous close calls I decided to go on the hunt for a small tool kit for my range bag.

Found a kit at an auto parts store but it didn't have sockets?

What kits do you carry? Open for suggestions.

Thanks

ExtremeX
08-21-2013, 2:13 AM
Best small tool kit is one you make specific to the bolts, nuts, screws, and other hardware in sizes which are on your firearms…

I just found a small zip up bag around the house and started populating it with various tools I may need in the field. I generally make note of what size tools and bits I would need so I don’t have to break up tool sets in the garage. Then start buying items individually or in kits which I don’t mind breaking up.

Mine includes various screw driver multi-bit tools, Allen bits, torx bits, along with a torque wrench for action screws and scope mounting.

The Borka Tools kit isn’t a bad way to start, and just keep adding things as you go along and when you find various items not in the kit.

amd64
08-22-2013, 6:03 PM
Depends what guns you take to the range. After enough range trips and issues, you'll know what you need.

I usually bring:

Torque screwdriver, bits, allen wrenches (retorque loose mounts, rings)
Sectional cleaning rod (stuck casings).
Broken shell extractor (rare, but it happens).
Front sight adjustment tools.
Pencil or grease marker (witness marking).
Punches.
Pliers.
CLP.

Blademan21
08-25-2013, 9:36 PM
Leatherman Wave with extra attachments. Enough said.

norcal.xd
08-25-2013, 11:38 PM
I just got a leatherman mut and im waiting for the extra bit extender and bits in the mail. Im hoping that will do the trick for me.