PDA

View Full Version : Just met the worst fake LEO.

Waingro
01-04-2008, 1:17 AM
So a friend of my wives calls me. She is in her early 20's and she is upset she just got a speeding ticket. She tells me she knows a guy who is a CHP officer. He is at a bar and she asks me to come with her. I always decide to go given these situations because she is young and I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to her. For some reason she thinks this guy can help her.

We get in the bar and the "CHP Officer" and I are introduced. We sit down and she is complaining and shows him the ticket. He spouts out the obvious about fighting it and if the cop doesn't show up then it's fine. We get to talking and I get the feeling he is not really a CHP officer. I ask him "What kind of gun do you carry on duty" his reply was, "A Smith and Weston 40 millimeter with a 15 round clip" At that point my friend and I went out side to smoke a cigarette and I said, "How do you know this guy is CHP?" She replied, "He showed me his badge." I told her that I do not believe he is really a LEO.

We go back into the bar and sit down. He then alerts us that he was in the navy. I asked him what level vest he wore during duty as a CHP, his reply was, "A 3 plus." I know that vests have letters after them sometimes so I said, "I have a class IIA" His reply was, "Yeah - that's what I wore in the Navy" - Now if I am not mistaken the Cass IIA is the lowest level of protection one can get next to a leather jacket.

So by this point I felt it was pretty obvious that he was just using a CHP and Navy line to pick up on girls. So I had to mess with the guy, "So in the Navy was your issued side arm a Ruger PX49?" His reply: "Yes, along with an M16."

He asked about my guns I told him I am about to pick up a Desert Eagle and he said, "You ever play the game or see the movie Hitman? He has two Desert Eagles" Now I am sure you guys have seen the posters - there 2 1911's. Anyone can tell. Someone posted on here they were AMT Hardballers Longslide.

This guy was so bad it was amazing, I didn't call him out on his lies I just went along with it. But why CHP and Navy as a pickup line? Lawyer? Doctor? Come on - if your going to do something stupid at least go big with it.

Figure you guys would get a kick out of it - gotta head off to bed now. Too much excitement for one night.

brianm767
01-04-2008, 1:35 AM
I wish my CHP issued S&W 4006 held 15 rounds, but try as I might, I can only shove 11 in there.

Hey was his name Frank Poncherello? I think I've seen that guy!

I'm surprised he didn't say he flew F-18's while in the Navy, thats my usual line, Blue Angels lead solo, thats me!! thats how I get the girls!!!!

Waingro
01-04-2008, 2:10 AM
I wish my CHP issued S&W 4006 held 15 rounds, but try as I might, I can only shove 11 in there.

Hey was his name Frank Poncherello? I think I've seen that guy!

I'm surprised he didn't say he flew F-18's while in the Navy, thats my usual line, Blue Angels lead solo, thats me!! thats how I get the girls!!!!

Damnit - I should of asked him what kind of airplanes he flew. Man, if I was certain he was still there I would go back. "So did you ever get to fly the Alpha Zulo Niner 53682 Fighter Jet?" - "Yeah! howed you know!?"

metalhead357
01-04-2008, 2:22 AM
What a ......................

I woulda been tempted to look at his badge; short of that--woulda looked at his licence plate while leaving and given the local LEO a call.....sounds like a clear cut case of Impersonating an officer if he aint one.....

Shoulda asked if he was packing while in the bar;)

bluestaterebel
01-04-2008, 2:26 AM
tell your friend not to talk to that guy. he sounds like bad news.

The SoCal Gunner
01-04-2008, 2:50 AM
Sure sounds fishy though not all cops or military guys are gun savvy. You guys are also at a bar so depending on how many drinks the guy has had, he might just be talking out of his *** anyway.

tacticalcity
01-04-2008, 6:15 AM
I try NOT to tell people I was in the military. They always ask what I did. They never believe me, so I don't tell them.

Most people think all the Air Force does is fix and fly planes.

The only people that are ever impressed are fellow Air Force guys, they are the only ones that get it..and only about 20% of them at that. Most have never heard of a Mobile Aerial Port Squadron much less what all is involved. When I describe the training we get, and the typical missions we perform they look at me like I am the biggest liar they have ever seen.

Then when I tell them that what I am describing as what I did is nothing compared to say what a Combat Controller or Pararescueman actually does, and I describe their typical missions they look at me like I am really crazy. They have no clue the Air Force does any of this stuff.

Nobody has worse public relations than the Air Force. Even our own people have no clue what roles we perform in the modern age.

In all fairness, I was only assigned to the Mobile Aerial Port for two years before I stupidly volunteered for what was supposed to be a temporary assignment that resulted in involuntary cross training into the worst job I ever had...that one I don't tell people about. If they had left me in my original career field, assigned to a Mobile Aerial Port I would still be in the military. Amazing job. Best time of my life. ;-)

Waingro
01-04-2008, 7:35 AM
Sure sounds fishy though not all cops or military guys are gun savvy. You guys are also at a bar so depending on how many drinks the guy has had, he might just be talking out of his *** anyway.

Logic can diticate him not being a LEO and Navy. If he said, "I carried a Glock For-tay" I would of been more inclined to believe him. He was not intoxicated.

Spaceghost
01-04-2008, 8:36 AM
I'm surprised he didn't try to say was SEAL while he was in the Navy. Once someone starts lying about themselves, they generally go way overboard.

11Z50
01-04-2008, 8:38 AM
I've met some LEOs that are straight-up dorks, and maybe that's the case here. Most LEOs won't discuss beating tickets or disputing criminal charges as a matter of professional courtesy.

There are loads of military imposters out there, just check out the many websites that deal with exposing these idiots. SPECSEC is a good one as is the POW Network.

Soldier415
01-04-2008, 8:41 AM
Its like when someone tells you they werein the Army/Marines...you ask them what they did and they say "Cook" or some such...

Wow every other former marine i;ve talked to was recon...this is a first

ohsmily
01-04-2008, 8:52 AM
So a friend of my wives calls me.

You must be Mormon.

Were you in the Navy or are you an LEO? Not everyone in the military is a 'trigger puller' and MANY cops don't know much about firearms other than how to present from the holster and pull the trigger (and sometimes not even that ;) )This guy could be an officer who doesn't know much about guns. I find it likely that what this guys said is being exaggerated inadvertently or otherwise. Maybe you wanted to be the one to help this girl out, and not this 'fake cop guy' :confused:).

But, who knows, perhaps he isn't a cop. However, that is a pretty big lie to be living if you are friends with someone.

CalNRA
01-04-2008, 9:00 AM
You must be Mormon.

or a wealthy Saudi industrialist. :p

on topic, the guy is a fake and should probably get arrested for posing as a CHP. I hope he runs into a real cop one and get what he deserves.

30Cal
01-04-2008, 9:02 AM
Actually, if his primary training in firearms came from the Navy, then he may be legit. The firearms instructors always used the incorrect word "clips" instead of "magazines." I heard an amazing amount of misinformation every time we went to shoot. I will say that they were pretty good when it came to safety and making sure that the firearms used daily for quals were cleaned. Our sailors were given just enough useful information to reduce the risk of someone getting shot accidentally.

Early in 2000, they took my ship's 1911s and replaced them with the 9mm and a good portion of the crew was still confusing them several years later. We had several vests which we called "flak vests" but nobody really knew what they were. One of them was international orange and came almost down to the knees.

One of the guys that shoots Highpower around here is CHP. He says the rank and file have just a cursory knowledge about firearms. Sounds like an average cop to me.

Paratus et Vigilans
01-04-2008, 9:16 AM
"I'm a doctor, I'm a lawyer, I'm a movie star . . .

I'm an astronaut, and I own this bar . . . "

Gag.

How sad . . .

Like the fake CIA guy in "True Lies" who keeps wetting himself . . .

Soldier415
01-04-2008, 9:29 AM
Like the fake CIA guy in "True Lies" who keeps wetting himself . . .

Classic movie. If you ask me, Tom Arnold stole the show from Ahnold

magsnubby
01-04-2008, 9:35 AM
Lots of LEO's and former military personal have no knowlage of firearms.

I was in a local gun store awhile back when a young couple walked in. The guy tells the owner:
"I'm looking for a backup gun. I don't want anything smaller than a .40. I know absulutly nothing about guns."

Turns out he WAS a CHP. But he did know what type and caliber his duty weapon was.

But i highly doubt this guy was anything more than total jackass.

high_revs
01-04-2008, 9:50 AM
isn't it against the prk law to impresonate a leo? could you have called the cops on him? i would've done that. seems fake officers also pull people in san joaqin in a minor web search i did.

(a) Any person other than one who is by law given the authority of a peace officer, who willfully wears, exhibits, or uses the authorized uniform, emblem, device, label, certificate, card, or writing, of a peace officer, with the intent of fraudulently impersonating a peace officer, or of fraudulently inducing the belief that he or she is a peace officer is guilty of a misdemeanor.

CaliGunOwner
01-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Whenever my BS-meter goes off, I simply ask for ID...dude is better off on craig's list trolling :rolleyes:

Stormfeather
01-04-2008, 11:51 AM
i would have shot down all of his lies. some times its fun being a .... blocker

I dont get it. . . are you playing football? what kind of blocker are you talking about? :D

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l128/Strmfeathr/CockBlocker.jpg

4 Brigada
01-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Then when I tell them that what I am describing as what I did is nothing compared to say what a Combat Controller or Pararescueman actually does, and I describe their typical missions they look at me like I am really crazy. They have no clue the Air Force does any of this stuff.

And we like to keep it that way:D

01-04-2008, 12:43 PM
I would have acted like I was interested in his job and asked to see what his ID looked like.

Waingro
01-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Even if I did not know anything about guns I would know that 40mm is a pretty big bullet compared to a 9mm. It's just common sense. A made up Ruger model as his military sidearm? This guys demeanor was not like any LEO or military person I have ever met, he was on his first beer. He was from East LA and was in the Long Beach area, he was also dressed like a bumb - and I am not very stylish.

I am not the guru of guns - I don't know a whole lot. I have 1 handgun and 1 shotgun and I am waiting on 1 more handgun. He said he shoots at a private range and he asked where I go. I told him I go to a few places - I mentioned LAX shooting range in Inglewood. He replied "They let you shoot there, LAX?" and I said "LAX Shooting Range" his reply was, "I thought they were not open to the public."

I am not the kind of guy to call the cops on the fellow for two reasons, 1) I am not 100% sure he is fake. I am only 99.5% sure. 2) He is not doing harm, he is just trying to get laid. If he was pulling people over and such then I would have called the police.

He was telling "cop stories" as well. Most of them much like the movie "Supertroopers" It was really bad guys - you should of seen it.

magsnubby
01-04-2008, 6:15 PM
He is not doing harm, he is just trying to get laid.

Until he runs across some psycho woman with a grudge against cops, takes him home and says "Hey, you know what would be fun? If i handcuffed you to the bed."

Waingro
01-04-2008, 6:25 PM
Until he runs across some psycho woman with a grudge against cops, takes him home and says "Hey, you know what would be fun? If i handcuffed you to the bed."

That's called karma. And What woman doesn't have a little psycho in them?:p:D

USN CHIEF
01-04-2008, 6:25 PM
This guy was so bad it was amazing, I didn't call him out on his lies I just went along with it. But why CHP and Navy as a pickup line? Lawyer? Doctor? Come on - if your going to do something stupid at least go big with it.

He picked Navy cause we Sailors get all the girls:43:
And Girls love Sailors:43:

psriley
01-04-2008, 6:43 PM
As has been noted, maybe the dude knows nothing about firearms, but is legit. I know a guy in the BP who has access to A2s, and is qualified on them, who once referred to them as "those Vietnam-y rifles with the handle thingies". He also referred to his issued .40 cal HK USP as "40mm". Typically, only gun geeks like us (both professional and amateur) give a crap about proper syntax anyway.

Maybe the dude in the bar figured the quickest way into your friend's pants (i.e. getting rid of you) was to proffer his limited knowledge on firearms embellished with stuff he's heard here and there, then agree with just about anything else you said.

Carpenters probably don't give a crap what a hammer is made out of, as long as it drives nails.
Hell, half of what I profess to know about what I do for a living is B.S. The only thing that's true is that I actually do get paid for it. :cool2:

Look up the penal code for whatever a common traffic citation is, then try to catch him out that way.

Turbinator
01-04-2008, 8:19 PM

Yeah, girls love sailors 'cuz they have submarines, and these subs are wet, long, hard, and full of seamen. :D

Turby

ar15barrels
01-04-2008, 8:54 PM
gotta head off to bed now. Too much excitement for one night.

I think you mean too much excrement for one night? ;)

ar15barrels
01-04-2008, 9:00 PM
Most have never heard of a Mobile Aerial Port Squadron much less what all is involved. When I describe the training we get, and the typical missions we perform they look at me like I am the biggest liar they have ever seen.

A friend of mine flew Predators.
I was never much into video games, but that would be fun.

Sam Hainn
01-04-2008, 9:16 PM
You must be Mormon.

Were you in the Navy or are you an LEO? Not everyone in the military is a 'trigger puller' and MANY cops don't know much about firearms other than how to present from the holster and pull the trigger (and sometimes not even that ;) )This guy could be an officer who doesn't know much about guns. I find it likely that what this guys said is being exaggerated inadvertently or otherwise. Maybe you wanted to be the one to help this girl out, and not this 'fake cop guy' :confused:).

But, who knows, perhaps he isn't a cop. However, that is a pretty big lie to be living if you are friends with someone.

Very true: I know more than one LAPD officer, or ex-officer, that can not either name the model of Beretta or Glock they carried or can not remember the caliber of gun they carried. I'm NOT kidding - that's MORE than one. You could ask them "So... you carried a Remington New Model Army in .44?" And their answer would probably be "Uh, yeah, uh I think so... I remember we had a Remington something or another" (in their blurry recollection of their Remington 870). Same goes for some guys that have been in the Army or Navy - now a Marine always knows his gun, but I've met plenty of bonafide Army/Navy friends, old and young alike, that seem to get glassy eyed and foggy trying to remember the equipment they were issued. In fact, I'm willing to bet very few CHP and LAPD couldn't give two winks about guns, their identification, or have any enthusiasm for firearms or shooting sports to any degree. It's illogical that I get to the range more often than most any single average officer on the entire LAPD or CHP force, in some cases, more often than many of them combined!

Ech0Sierra
01-04-2008, 9:25 PM
Eh, for some people in the force, shooting is a requirement, not a hobby, like PT, Code 3 driving, form completion, and wearing a ballistic vest.

tyrist
01-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Most officers don't identify themselves to somebody they barely know. If they do something somebody else does'nt like while off duty it can turn into complaints and internal affairs investigations. It's also a good way to get shot off duty as well.

I call BS. They guy could have a security badge or like another incident could be using his fathers badge.

Greg-Dawg
01-04-2008, 11:35 PM
I said, "How do you know this guy is CHP?" She replied, "He showed me his badge."

FYI: Anyone can get a badge. Even mall ninjas have badges that look like the real thing. The real deal is their LEO photo I.D. card.

That dude's a fake.

MKE
01-04-2008, 11:52 PM
tacticalcity: Just curious what AFSC you were involuntarily cross-trained into...btw, I was stationed there at McClellan AFB 1986-88. There used to be a detachment of PJ's there.

ar15barrels: I used to work with a Major who was going to operate the predator...he was KC-135 pilot of McConnell and was re-assigned to Nellis AFB, NV. He didn't sound like he was too thrilled with his new job though. I can see why - flying an aircraft or being in a simulator-type workstation....:eek:

Rumpled
01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
The dude's all wrong and has bad game. Everybody knows that FD gets all the chicks ever since 9/11!

tacticalcity - PJ, eh? That's one tough MOS, more power to you.

FreedomIsNotFree
01-05-2008, 4:16 AM
Maybe the guy was thinking..."Who is this dude? I bet he thinks he is here to check me out...I'm gonna have some fun with him..."

See...he could be on the forum of his interest telling stories about how he screwed with this guy that showed up with his date to check him out....

;)

tacticalcity
01-05-2008, 5:33 AM

Sure they do. Most young, hot chicks are liberals. He would have gotten more play saying he was a peace activist.

Think I'm jaded much?

tacticalcity
01-05-2008, 6:52 AM
"tacticalcity: Just curious what AFSC you were involuntarily cross-trained into...btw, I was stationed there at McClellan AFB 1986-88. There used to be a detachment of PJ's there."

I will PM you since these guys don't care. Their all former Marines and Sailors...they hate us "Flyboys".

Even their built in smilie was a sailor! :chris:

kermit315
01-05-2008, 10:19 AM
just to clarify, we dont hate you........totally..lol

j/k but seriously, no matter what branch, we ARE all one big family and I would bend over backwards to help any fellow service member, whether Air Force, Army, Navy/Marine Corps, Active, Reserve or Nat. Guard.

I have a feeling that most here feel the same way.

USN CHIEF
01-05-2008, 10:26 AM

j/k but seriously, no matter what branch, we ARE all one big family and I would bend over backwards to help any fellow service member, whether Air Force, Army, Navy/Marine Corps, Active, Reserve or Nat. Guard.

You forgot about the "Brown/Mud Water Navy". The CG.

kermit315
01-05-2008, 10:47 AM
dammit, your right....its still early and I worked 20 hours yesterday, so i am still dragging a little a** this morning

CG Included, definately

U2BassAce
01-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Lots of LEO's and former military personal have no knowlage of firearms.

I was in a local gun store awhile back when a young couple walked in. The guy tells the owner:
"I'm looking for a backup gun. I don't want anything smaller than a .40. I know absulutly nothing about guns."

Turns out he WAS a CHP. But he did know what type and caliber his duty weapon was.

But i highly doubt this guy was anything more than total jackass.

I have a friend who trains LEO. He says that over 80% "if not higher" entering the academy have never fired a gun.

The days of ex military/veterans joining LE is gone in general.

VeryCoolCat
01-05-2008, 11:01 AM
Just a thought...

Maybe he meant .40 S&W, some cops are totally oblivious to guns despite requiring to use them. I mean... look at doj special agent iggy chin (who was an oakland? pd officer) claiming a 22 can pierce through bullet proof vests :p

Maybe he was navy MP and his lack of knowledge of guns made him not know his sidearm.

Its not COMPLETELY unheard of....

Shoulda got a first and last name and ask to see his badge.

Maybe you coulda asked a CHP guy here to confirm.

ar15barrels
01-05-2008, 11:41 AM
I used to work with a Major who was going to operate the predator...he was KC-135 pilot of McConnell and was re-assigned to Nellis AFB, NV. He didn't sound like he was too thrilled with his new job though. I can see why - flying an aircraft or being in a simulator-type workstation....:eek:

My friend had no prior aviation experience.
The air force trained her.
She was also stationed at Nellis for a while.

ar15barrels
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
no matter what branch, we ARE all one big family and I would bend over backwards to help any fellow service member, whether Air Force, Army, Navy/Marine Corps, Active, Reserve or Nat. Guard.

Except those coasties right...

:rofl2:

Mssr. Eleganté
01-05-2008, 11:52 AM
From my conversations with police officers here in San Francisco, I'd say that 1/3 of SFPD carry 40 caliber side arms, 1/3 carry 40 millimeter side arms, and 1/3 just have some gun they are forced to carry.

All of them use clips to hold bullets.

kermit315
01-05-2008, 12:04 PM

damn, where is the ball busting smilie...lol

Fjold
01-05-2008, 1:10 PM

He said "service member". :D

They used to be part of the Department of Transportation but now they're part of the Department of Homeland Security.

retired
01-05-2008, 2:30 PM
It's illogical that I get to the range more often than most any single average officer on the entire LAPD or CHP force, in some cases, more often than many of them combined!

Sam Hainn, thanks for not lumping LASD with them.:D

Next time you see this "CHP" guy, ask him what 12500(a) and 12951(a)vc are. Tell him you get those mixed up. If he is a real CHP, he'll have those two memorized.

hawk81
01-05-2008, 8:54 PM
Who cares, don't waste your time on it. There are a lot of liars in the world, just remember that.

rorschach
01-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Sam Hainn, thanks for not lumping LASD with them.:D

Next time you see this "CHP" guy, ask him what 12500(a) and 12951(a)vc are. Tell him you get those mixed up. If he is a real CHP, he'll have those two memorized.

Better yet, ask him what a 415 or MRE is. If he gives you some crap about disturbing the peace and lousy food in brown pouches, respectively, he was never a CHP officer.

DNA
03-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Actually... guy could be for real. There is a shooting range at LAX that is not open to the public, but is open to several other law enforcement agencies (one of which is CHP), not to be confused with the LAX Shooting Range on Manchester/Olive.

But then again, how many of the guys at clubs that pose as LAPD or just recruits? Must be interesting when they hit day zero and see some familiar DIs.

But then again, you could just ask him what stations he's worked?

But then again, if the dude is flashing badge and whatnot, feel free to dime him out to LBPD, I'm sure they'll be more than happy to take care of the um... "problem".

Dan

hkfooey
03-01-2008, 11:56 PM
I would tell him that I carry a GLOCK 7. :devil2:

It doesn't show up on airport X-ray machines,
and it costs more than he makes in a month. :clown:

Stormfeather
03-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Necro-Posting is bad. . . . . .

on a positive note. . . 1800 posts! wtf do I do with my time?!?!?

brokestudent12
03-02-2008, 12:46 AM
wow. you should take the detective's test. you're good.

yzernie
03-02-2008, 9:02 AM
I would have called the guy onto front street. As someone above said, most cops I know want to keep the fact that they are cops on the down low. Sure, there are your typical youngster cops who use that fact to "impress" the ladies but anyone who has been around a while keeps it low profile.

Also, to be charged with impersonating a cop (at least in this county) you must be actively involved in some overt act of law enforcement...not just lying to some chick hoping to get a glance at her thong.

E Pluribus Unum
03-02-2008, 10:25 AM
Thats cool.. CHP is issued a 40mm grenade launcher? Remind me not to speed.

battleship
03-02-2008, 1:41 PM
Darn it, and i wanted to put my british accent on and tell the girls im in the S.A.S. now the cats out the bag, still my bulging tummy line doesnt add to the desperate lie. hmm perhaps he was in the CHP training and part way through didnt make the cut but learnt enough to get by with on a Saturday night, probably pulls his SW out at night in front of the bathroom mirror, shouting out, do you feel lucky punk - did i fire six shots or only five, who hasent done that, wright? anyone your all lying if you say no.

tattooed_freak
03-02-2008, 3:21 PM
can I say I'm LEO if my name is Leo? :King::kest::90::punk:

rorschach
03-03-2008, 8:22 PM
Thats cool.. CHP is issued a 40mm grenade launcher? Remind me not to speed.

They keep 'em locked up in the big motorhome.

M5police
03-04-2008, 12:06 PM
15 rounds!!! That is quite funny. S&W 4006 TSWs with the rail cant hold that much. Maybe the guy skipped the CHP Academy in West Sacramento and went straight in lateral cause he was such a bad arse in the Navy(SEAL Team and all). What a Whiskey Tango. Sounds like you need to dial 1-800- TELL-CHP about this guy. As with any badge they are usually stamped not valid without valid credentials on the back. Ask to see his ID. Better yet...tell him to describe how the 3% at 50 works in the CHP.

ar15barrels
03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
tell him to describe how the 3% at 50 works in the CHP.

OK, I'll bite...
What's the 3% at 50?

scootergmc
03-04-2008, 12:32 PM
OK, I'll bite...
What's the 3% at 50?

Retirement plan.

BLACKWATER
03-04-2008, 1:14 PM
Basically it is the amount of years you have been in the CHP times 3% and that is your retirement. At 50 is when you can begin to think about retirement from the CHP.

tyrist
03-05-2008, 11:26 AM
40mm "grenade launcher" is for less lethal.

Dragonfly
03-05-2008, 9:29 PM
And we call those girls who fall for the "I'm a police officer" line a badge bunny.......No, I'm not one....

As for LEOs keeping it on the down low - that all depends on the person. I've worked with both. The ones who are looking for one nights advertise their job and then there are ones who keep it to themselves....I think the latter are better, you get to know them for who they are and not their job...

I've got myself a former Marine now Army guy.....;)

Paradiddle
03-06-2008, 11:35 AM
This is right out of True Lies....

Bizcuits
03-07-2008, 7:13 AM
This is right out of True Lies....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B9fEvgzO0Q

:D

smithsrus
03-10-2008, 9:29 PM
should take lessons from these guys

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=2bTnpoTWIvk&feature=user