PDA

View Full Version : How many of you Leftys are using a BA RH rifle?

Darklyte27
08-19-2013, 5:32 PM
Im wondering how many by choice you are using a righty rifle but are a lefty?

Im a lefty and all my bolt actions are lefty's. I have seen some videos where lefty's are using right handed rifles pretty fast with the support hand.

ar15barrels
08-19-2013, 5:49 PM
We have leftys that shoot righty rifles at our matches.
In prone, where the gun is fully supported, it's probably faster that way than to shoot a lefty rifle since you keep your cheekweld and your firing hand on the stock.
When you are unsupported, you have to keep using the support hand to hold the rifle and give the rifle a "reach over" which is slower than shooting a proper lefty rifle.

skurzhun
08-19-2013, 5:50 PM
I'm left handed but shoot my r700 right handed.

Fjold
08-19-2013, 5:59 PM
The only use that I have for right handed rifles is for the kids and grandkids to use. (This is an old photo)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Lefties.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Fjold/media/Lefties.jpg.html)

Chefantone
08-19-2013, 9:41 PM
After having used righty BA rifles in the past I got the chance once to shoot a lefty BA. I just picked up my lefty Savage 111 this past Friday. :party:

CSACANNONEER
08-19-2013, 9:51 PM
The only two lefty rifles I own are my AR50L and an older 700 in .270 I just found at a shop for $450 so, I couldn't pass it up. All my other bolts are right handed.

russ69
08-19-2013, 10:03 PM
I only have a few LH rifles the rest are right hand. I seldom shoot them as repeaters.

vintagearms
08-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Left bolts in all my BA's.

dfletcher
08-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm left eyed but right handed and use all right handed bolt action rifles. Shooting off a bench it's very convenient, the shells just drop right in front of you. I can rattle off 10 rounds from an Enfield pretty quickly too - left hand on the trigger, right hand on the bolt handle.

In the field I use my right hand to keep the rifle to my shoulder and do a little "twist to the left & reach" to work the bolt. Seems to work fine.

The "left handed" Remington 788 pictured above (6mm?) is unusual in that the ejection port is kept on the right hand side. Made that way due to economics no doubt, it works out pretty well for "left eyed" shooters though.

Untamed1972
08-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I'm lefty.......mine are RH. I've never even tried a LH one. But using RH has never been an issue for me. Never shot one in competition or anything though so speed has never been an issue I've factored in.

In prone at least....I think it's kinda handy. I can keep the buttstock shouldered, hand on grip (finger out of trigger guard), maintain sight picture thru scope and work the bolt handle with my right hand. tail end of bolt juuust misses the tip of my nose when all the way back.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-20-2013, 6:32 PM
Using a Mossberg MVP right handed only 'cause they don't make a left handed version. I have a Romanian M65 .22 in the safe, but I never shoot it, it's a loaner/guest user rifle.

smle-man
08-20-2013, 7:00 PM
I cleaned up in some action rifle matches back in the Midwest in the 80s shooting my #4 Lee Enfield from the left shoulder against others who shot right handed rifles from the right shoulder. I had speed, accuracy, and reloading speed over the rest of them. I've only owned one LH bolt rifle and didn't like it, traded it off for something else. I think a lot of it is what you grow up with. I shot prone .22 match with a Winchester 52D in high school, left shoulder, RH rifle. I was the #2 shooter in the state in my senior year and I missed #1 not because of the rifle!

tankerman
08-20-2013, 7:08 PM
The only righty bolt actions I shoot are milsurps.

Calplinker
08-20-2013, 8:28 PM
Lefty here. Post #2 provided the answer. Off a tripod, bag or prone, a RH action gives us a distinct advantage.

Standing rested or offhand and I'd go with a LF action every time. Envision Ruger Gunsight Scout in action on a course of fire.

Try it out and you will quickly understand. :)

AGGRO
08-20-2013, 8:35 PM
Lefty BA but with ambi AR charging handles no problem.

Fjold
08-21-2013, 4:34 PM
I'm left eyed but right handed and use all right handed bolt action rifles. Shooting off a bench it's very convenient, the shells just drop right in front of you. I can rattle off 10 rounds from an Enfield pretty quickly too - left hand on the trigger, right hand on the bolt handle.

In the field I use my right hand to keep the rifle to my shoulder and do a little "twist to the left & reach" to work the bolt. Seems to work fine.

The "left handed" Remington 788 pictured above (6mm?) is unusual in that the ejection port is kept on the right hand side. Made that way due to economics no doubt, it works out pretty well for "left eyed" shooters though.

That 788 is a 308.

Mr. Magoo
08-21-2013, 4:39 PM
I write with my left but do pretty much everything else right handed. I can shoot right or left. I bat right, pitch left. Golf right. Frisby right. Maybe I should just polish everything to be efficient either way.

WTF is wrong with me!! Haha...

Springfield45
08-21-2013, 11:26 PM
I shoot lefty and all my rifles are righty's. Dose not bother me very much.

corcoraj2002
08-21-2013, 11:59 PM
My AR is lefty but my BA is right handed. The rate I shoot at, it does not really come into play. I hunt with my r700 and have never had a issue, prone or unsupported.

joefrank64k
08-22-2013, 6:48 AM
I've adapted to RH guns for so long (and do other things RH like bat & golf) that using a LH BA seems strange. In a pressure situation like competition, I would flounder a bit because I would constantly be reaching for the bolt handle on the "wrong side" of the rifle.

epic1856
08-22-2013, 6:54 AM
All BA I have are left handed, except my C&Rs.

deckhandmike
08-22-2013, 9:21 AM
My only bolt is a .300 win mag so I bought lefty. I would be a little nervous about shooting that round with an ill fitting stock.

Quickdraw559
08-22-2013, 12:37 PM
I prefer RH bolt action rifles. As stated, it's easy to shoot supported and keep a cheek weld and sight picture.

TheExiled
08-22-2013, 2:57 PM
I've been thinking about the opposite, meaning I've been thinking of trying a lefty rifle being a righty due to the support hand etc