PDA

View Full Version : Is it even worth the $$$ for 10rd mags?

TacoTuesdays
08-19-2013, 1:26 PM
I found a decent price on some 10 round mags, but there's a fairly good chance that they're just as likely to be as illegal as 10/30s here soon. Trying to do the "right" thing, but whats the point?

Just looking for some levity. Is it better to just keep using converted 10/30s and wait and see, risking not being able to find any later when hi-cap "looking" mags become illegal. Or, spend the money and just toss them in the trash later if detachable mags become illegal altogether?

Just feels like damned if you do and damned if you don't...

tal3nt
08-19-2013, 1:31 PM
Don't ever toss your mags in the trash!

hcbr
08-19-2013, 1:32 PM
Just go for it, I bought some for my AR and SCAR rifles, and it's just more convenient to haul around anyways! considering that all these stupid politicians are just making things worse, it's better to be prepared, then to go around panicking and crying to pay 5x for what you could of got them for.

russ69
08-19-2013, 1:34 PM
Buy them cheap and stack them deep.

TacoTuesdays
08-19-2013, 1:35 PM

I was speaking figuratively.

Fryall4
08-19-2013, 1:38 PM
Buy them cheap and stack them deep.

Well put Russ :) I agree. Nobody knows what the legislation will read like till it's done. Get em now, while you still can.

Leatherneck714
08-19-2013, 1:42 PM
Magazines will be grandfathered? Am I wrong?

I'm buying both 10rds and 30 pinned to 10rds magazines. If I'm grandfathered I'm good. If not grandfathered than they are going up on gunbroker.

motodog57
08-19-2013, 1:46 PM
buy them now i just bought 10 just in case, if the law don't change i will stack them on the shelf

SOAR79
08-19-2013, 1:49 PM
i'm in the same boat

ChrisC
08-19-2013, 1:55 PM
I found a decent price on some 10 round mags, but there's a fairly good chance that they're just as likely to be as illegal as 10/30s here soon.

10/30's are not illegal, and what makes you say that 10 rounders will be illegal. Is there any new laws coming out stating that? Are there any bills being looked at that state that 10 round magazines are going to be illegal?

TacoTuesdays
08-19-2013, 2:35 PM
10/30's are not illegal, and what makes you say that 10 rounders will be illegal. Is there any new laws coming out stating that? Are there any bills being looked at that state that 10 round magazines are going to be illegal?

I'm basing this on what is currently being voted on to send towards Brown's desk, strictly as I understand it:

SB 374 would essentially redefine AW and make any semi-auto rifle with a detachable mag illegal for sale or future ownership (unless you register one to be grandfathered and forever non-transferable) this is why I say 10rd mags COULD become illegal-because any detachable mag would be.

SB 396 would make any mag with the appearance or overall body capacity beyond 10 rounds illegal. Which is why it may be a good idea to stock up on straight 10 rounders- if the above doesn't pass.

None of these are law yet and who knows how it will go, but they all seem to be on the fast track to Moonbeam's desk. I'm not an expert by any means and I may even be incorrect on the particulars above. I don't know what it will mean for registered grandfathered rifles. I'm just looking to stay ahead of the panic buying, or rather, do some pre-panic panic buying...

autoduel
08-19-2013, 3:05 PM
I'm basing this on what is currently being voted on to send towards Brown's desk, strictly as I understand it:

SB 374 would essentially redefine AW and make any semi-auto rifle with a detachable mag illegal for sale or future ownership (unless you register one to be grandfathered and forever non-transferable) this is why I say 10rd mags COULD become illegal-because any detachable mag would be.

SB374 is concerned only with the features of the semiautomatic weapon. Fixed magazine capacity is just a defining feature. More than 10 is the operative word.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Nowhere does it ban magazines themselves.

Squidward
08-19-2013, 3:13 PM
Is it worth it? Yes it is!

How many people think nothing of dropping several hundred dollars on a new firearm? Maybe one that's a duplicate of one they already own.. How many mags (and ammo) could that have purchased? In the long term it may be a better investment.

Many folks get spun up by having to use a 10 round mag in their handgun or carbine. Not, me. I buy them whenever funds allow.

In the past, when a question was asked on what to buy, the reply was usually, "hookers and blow". Now the answer should be, "mags and ammo"!

TacoTuesdays
08-19-2013, 3:20 PM
SB374 is concerned only with the features of the semiautomatic weapon. Fixed magazine capacity is just a defining feature. More than 10 is the operative word.
(a) Notwithstanding Section 30510, “assault weapon” also means any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that does not have a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept no more than 10 rounds.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

Nowhere does it ban magazines themselves.

I see that now. Thank you. Upon re-reading it, it looks more like its about how a magazine is considered removeable, i.e. BB, rather than the mag itself.

Thanks all. I'm gonna pull the trigger on it (pun only partially un-intended...)

SonofWWIIDI
08-19-2013, 3:52 PM
Magazines will be grandfathered? Am I wrong?

I'm buying both 10rds and 30 pinned to 10rds magazines. If I'm grandfathered I'm good. If not grandfathered than they are going up on gunbroker.

I believe that SB-396 (should it pass) would ban and confiscate any and all magazines that hold or at one time could hold more than ten rounds. So if it passes, any magazine that even looks like it can hold more than 10 rounds would be a no-no. Even those in current possession.

BrassCase
08-19-2013, 4:34 PM
I just bought 6, 10 rnd Pmags from JoeBob's for $13.99 each. I'd like to keep adding to my mag inventory while I can.

jasonnorcal
08-19-2013, 6:20 PM
No, its not worth it. So lame! I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy 2, 10 round pmags while I still can get them at a decent price. Only 2 though.

lt05deluxe
08-19-2013, 6:40 PM

You can always give them to a fellow Calgunner.

timbo399
08-19-2013, 6:44 PM
Whatever happens w legislation, I bought six 5.56 C Product 10 rounders last week so now have total of around 11 of them, although my 10/20's which I have a lot of "look better" I like fact can store 10's more easily in my safe or wherever and never had an issue w function on my C Product 10 rounders. Love em!

totus44
08-19-2013, 6:59 PM
Everyone should be building 458 SOCOM uppers. ;)

SB1964
08-19-2013, 7:10 PM
I shoot a lot, so yes! I bought a dozen 10 round PMAGS recently. They come apart easily for cleaning etc, unlike the pinned 10/20's or 30's. Mags & ammo, never too much.

Calplinker
08-19-2013, 7:11 PM
Above is correct. SB-374 has nothing to do with mags.

However, SB-396 if passed into law would ban all mags that either hold more than ten now or ever could have. That means no more 10/20 or 10/30 nags and there is no grandfathering clause.

Buying 10 round mags is not a bad idea.

TacoTuesdays
08-19-2013, 8:45 PM

However, SB-396 if passed into law would ban all mags that either hold more than ten now or ever could have. That means no more 10/20 or 10/30 nags and there is no grandfathering clause.

This was my mistake. I was confusing it with SB 47.

GM4spd
08-20-2013, 4:19 AM

Ammo carry and accessibility makes 10/30s about useless in our world.Pete

glock7
08-20-2013, 5:10 AM
Is it worth it? Yes it is!

How many people think nothing of dropping several hundred dollars on a new firearm? Maybe one that's a duplicate of one they already own.. How many mags (and ammo) could that have purchased? In the long term it may be a better investment.

Many folks get spun up by having to use a 10 round mag in their handgun or carbine. Not, me. I buy them whenever funds allow.

In the past, when a question was asked on what to buy, the reply was usually, "hookers and blow". Now the answer should be, "mags and ammo"!

classic....mags and ammo. do it do it now.

CWDraco
08-20-2013, 5:27 AM
buy them. even if the bill doesnt get vetoed, (which it will) court action is going to toss it out.

G21Shooter
08-20-2013, 7:32 AM
Dude, there is no bill to ban the use and possession of 10 round mags in rifles, so long as they look like 10 round mags.

If you currently own a detachable magazine rifle, you can keep it and use all the 10 round mags you want.

Its the 10/20 and 10/30, "blocked high capacity mags" that are on the chopping block.

JackRydden224
08-20-2013, 7:34 AM
Buy it and then sue the state for reimbursement if they make it illegal.

G21Shooter
08-20-2013, 7:35 AM
classic....mags and ammo. do it do it now.

No freaking kidding.

We have 22 more months(until July 1 2015) to order ammo online, take advantage of it and get it while you can.

I'm hoping there is a "sweet spot" between now and D-day where .22 lr, 9mm, and popular calibers are available at reasonable prices.

renardsubtil
08-20-2013, 7:49 AM
Yeah 10 rounders are worth keeping around...I don't know what kind of rifle you've got but recently I found that I (luckily) kept my 10 rounders for my M1A which was nice to have on a hunting trip...I hadn't even bought the M1A for the purpose of hunting but my buddy got me into it and it's the only large-ish caliber rifle I've got available lol!

SloChicken
08-20-2013, 8:12 AM

Smartest thing I have heard all week.

Nothing like a nice long 10 round magazine ...

thrillhouse700
08-20-2013, 8:21 AM
I actually prefer my 10 rounders when I am shooting my 308 AR, the 20's hit the bench when I am working on distance shooting. Its still BS tho.

tnlrat37
08-20-2013, 8:22 AM
My buddy said 10 rd pmags were selling for 44$ at the gun show this weekend!!! so you can imagine what they'll cost if that's all we can use in the future. Buy all that you can afford you can always sell them later and probly get your $ back or make a huge profit off the procrastinators.

CK_32
08-20-2013, 8:23 AM
It's sad so many gunners are accepting and waiting for the fact that they are going to ban just about ANYTHING gun related.

I'm pretty sure out moral against anti guns is about out.

This is the 9th thread I've seen about waiting for them to just make another hanus law to ban more stuff. Sad sad times

omnitravis
08-20-2013, 8:31 AM
I believe that SB-396 (should it pass) would ban and confiscate any and all magazines that hold or at one time could hold more than ten rounds. So if it passes, any magazine that even looks like it can hold more than 10 rounds would be a no-no. Even those in current possession.

Grandfathering goes with it, yes. We would have until July 14, 2014 I believe, to turn them in or sell them. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

zfields
08-20-2013, 8:34 AM
Grandfathering goes with it, yes. We would have until July 14, 2014 I believe, to turn them in or sell them. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

Option 3. 55 gallon drum and a shovel.

ENTHUSIAST
08-20-2013, 8:42 AM
It's sad so many gunners are accepting and waiting for the fact that they are going to ban just about ANYTHING gun related.

I'm pretty sure our moral against anti guns is about out.

This is the 9th thread I've seen about waiting for them to just make another hanus law to ban more stuff. Sad sad times

And these are CGers not regular folks why don't you all just go turn in all your mags over 10 rounds to your local PD right now and stop making threads.

http://www.premier1supplies.com/img/species/splash/1.jpg

JackRydden224
08-20-2013, 8:46 AM
Honestly 10 round magazines serve their purpose even in free states. They are great for bench or prone shooting. I remember trying to bench rest a 10/22 with the BX-25 mag and that just did no work at all and it's the same thing for normal capacity AK/AR mag.

ENTHUSIAST
08-20-2013, 8:47 AM

^^^ Notice how defiance in the face of tyranny sounds versus the other responses?

ENTHUSIAST
08-20-2013, 8:49 AM
Honestly 10 round magazines serve their purpose even in free states. They are great for bench or prone shooting. I remember trying to bench rest a 10/22 with the BX-25 mag and that just did no work at all and it's the same thing for normal capacity AK/AR mag.

Would you guys also be justifying getting castrated so you can be more "high speed low drag" when doing run and gun drills with your new state mandated 10 rounders?

JackRydden224
08-20-2013, 9:06 AM
Would you guys also be justifying getting castrated so you can be more "high speed low drag" when doing run and gun drills with your new state mandated 10 rounders?

I think you are reading too much into what I wrote. I simply said 10 round magazines have an advantage over 30/40 rounders when shooting from a bench or in prone. I never said anything about being OK with the normal capacity ban.

Also not everybody kicks and whines about the situation. Some of us will do what we can do such as writing, emailing and calling then just live with what happens because live goes on. You just need to know that just because some people down play it does not equate to accepting it.

ENTHUSIAST
08-20-2013, 9:18 AM
I think you are reading too much into what I wrote. I simply said 10 round magazines have an advantage over 30/40 rounders when shooting from a bench or in prone. I never said anything about being OK with the normal capacity ban.

Also not everybody kicks and whines about the situation. Some of us will do what we can do such as writing, emailing and calling then just live with what happens because live goes on. You just need to know that just because some people down play it does not equate to accepting it.

I have heard the bench shooting response so many times before it now feels like a defeatist attitude.

I wish there were more kicking, whining and shovel option responses in addition to the writing, emailing and calling it is the "just live with it" type posts that make me sad for us all.

monk
08-20-2013, 9:27 AM
Don't worry buddy; I'll take the felony hit for you. Send me your 10/30's and I'll send you some ASC 10 rounders to replace them. :D

PhillyGunner
08-20-2013, 9:27 AM

For those of us in 'nuisance' law town... the ten rounders are best for the range, anywhere in 'public', etc. You know keep a low profile, and not get quality 10/30s pinched accidentally/on purpose by LEO looking to 'keep the 'streets safe ' for the real badguys.

As for "high speed/low drag"... if they outlaw my balls, I'll just get a size small jock strap and be careful when I bend down. :rolleyes:

parksmart
08-20-2013, 9:57 AM
I have heard the bench shooting response so many times before it now feels like a defeatist attitude.

I wish there were more kicking, whining and shovel option responses in addition to the writing, emailing and calling it is the "just live with it" type posts that make me sad for us all.

And you've donated how much to the CGF and CGN?

ENTHUSIAST
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
And you've donated how much to the CGF and CGN?

Just cause I don't have a CGN contributor tag next to my name doesn't mean I haven't donated.

I have organized a car shoot at a build party where several hundred was donated in one day I have also made donations of my own money on more than one occasion.

Thanks for your generous contribution and thanks for asking.

parksmart
08-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Just cause I don't have a CGN contributor tag next to my name doesn't mean I haven't donated.

I have organized a car shoot at a build party where several hundred was donated in one day I have also made donations of my own money on more than one occasion.

Thanks for your generous contribution and thanks for asking.

Thanks for your efforts as well.

JackRydden224
08-20-2013, 10:28 AM

I don't want the gun laws to bother me everyday and everywhere. I have a life outside of guns so I try to think as positive as I can. We all want the same thing just with different approaches.

hcbr
08-20-2013, 10:54 AM

The Walter White/Heisenberg Way! lol ;) (FYI you need to see "burried" episode of Breaking Bad hahaha :D ....)

russ69
08-20-2013, 11:27 AM
I have heard the bench shooting response so many times before it now feels like a defeatist attitude. I wish there were more kicking, whining and shovel option responses in addition to the writing, emailing and calling it is the "just live with it" type posts that make me sad for us all.

I've been in this fight since the 70s. It's no use trying to change something that can't be changed, not at this time anyway. It's not a defeatist attitude to know when you have a good chance to change things or to know when you don't have a chance. It's a waste of money and energy if the political climate is stacked the wrong way. Yes we need to be more pro-active but we also have to be at the right place at the right time. Beating your head against a wall doesn't do your head or the wall any good.

TMB 1
08-20-2013, 8:36 PM
I've been in this fight since the 70s. It's no use trying to change something that can't be changed, not at this time anyway. It's not a defeatist attitude to know when you have a good chance to change things or to know when you don't have a chance. It's a waste of money and energy if the political climate is stacked the wrong way. Yes we need to be more pro-active but we also have to be at the right place at the right time. Beating your head against a wall doesn't do your head or the wall any good.

Since the 70s how many of the firearms laws that went into effect have been changed back?

BigPimping
08-20-2013, 8:50 PM
Keep buying til the libs say we can't.

foxtrotuniformlima
08-20-2013, 8:52 PM

There is no language in SB396 that could possibly be interpreted as confiscation. STOP SPREADING FUD !

You are correct sir!

Rickrock1
08-20-2013, 9:05 PM
I just bought 6, 10 rnd Pmags from JoeBob's for $13.99 each. I'd like to keep adding to my mag inventory while I can.

Joebob's Is a good store, I recently picked up a stack and got free shipping and fast delivery.

russ69
08-20-2013, 9:37 PM
Since the 70s how many of the firearms laws that went into effect have been changed back?

Well, I can't think of one thing...oh, there is one, we don't sign of handgun ammo anymore. Other than that it's been a down hill ride. I cried uncle and I have a home in Arizona and California now. I wont live long enough to see a change here in California, but the young guys are really helping us out, and there is still hope for some common sense.

sigstroker
08-20-2013, 10:20 PM

Aren't ex post facto confiscation laws without compensation ripe for court challenges? Everyone knowing that, seems like it's unlikely to become law.

pistol3
08-20-2013, 11:12 PM
Aren't ex post facto confiscation laws without compensation ripe for court challenges? Everyone knowing that, seems like it's unlikely to become law.

The magazine grabbers are saying that because the law won't go into effect for a year, that will give everyone plenty of time to either sell their scary looking magazines to someone in a freer state, or turn them into the government to be destroyed. They think this will cover them in any court challenge.

deckhandmike
08-21-2013, 10:13 AM
From the arguments in the 2A forum the conclusion is ex post facto does not apply if they give you a time frame to comply to new law. It's a new law you would be violating vs being charged for something you had in the past.

barrage
08-21-2013, 10:41 AM
So what about the millions of Californian's that simply won't comply with or recognize such laws? I sure as hell am not going to sell or relinquish any of my equipment and I've yet to meet a single person who plans to either.

pistol3
08-21-2013, 11:25 AM
So what about the millions of Californian's that simply won't comply with or recognize such laws? I sure as hell am not going to sell or relinquish any of my equipment and I've yet to meet a single person who plans to either.

What do you mean? This bill would make those people criminals.

barrage
08-21-2013, 11:39 AM
What do you mean? This bill would make those people criminals.

What I mean is that the rhetoric is about either the laws passing and people obeying them or them not passing and life goes on, as if there won't be millions of people out there who value being Americans more than being law abiding citizens. It's sort of in line with the Progressive way of thinking that if you make something illegal, it's magically physically impossible for someone to do.

So, we're criminals now for being free men? Sweet! I'll stick in my cap and call it macaroni.

Losd619
08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
Just picked up 5 pmag 10 rounders. Going to continue to do so every couple of weeks

desrt2
08-21-2013, 2:09 PM
The Magpul 10 round magazines are very nice. Same quality and great design as all the rest of theirs.
When they launched, they were impossible to find but when supply caught up I was able to buy them at MSRP or less. Had to be something like $13/ea or somewhere around that.
Easier to throw in a dump pouch or range bag.

Tok36
08-21-2013, 3:10 PM

hehe, low drag :rolleyes:

smittty
08-21-2013, 3:51 PM
I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy 2, 10 round pmags while I still can get them at a decent price. Only 2 though.

What makes you think you won't be able to buy 10-rounders in the future, for a decent price? Nothing on the books is targeting 10-round mags. The only reason 10-round Pmags have been priced high is because they are new. Give it some time and they'll be instock most every place that sells mags, and for normal price.

deckhandmike
08-21-2013, 5:06 PM
They are normal price. Shop around, I don't think they are going to drop significantly below 12.99 or so. Maybe on sale for 10.99 in bulk. I bought 3 for now and will pick up more when they go on sale. Figured I'd have at least three for the range in case SB396 goes into effect. If it does expect ten rounders to be on backorder from months to a year.

Losd619
08-22-2013, 2:19 AM
What makes you think you won't be able to buy 10-rounders in the future, for a decent price? Nothing on the books is targeting 10-round mags. The only reason 10-round Pmags have been priced high is because they are new. Give it some time and they'll be instock most every place that sells mags, and for normal price.

there is something in the book thats targeting the 10/20 and 10/30 mags. So with the panic of all of these people having useless and illegal 10/20's and 10/30's, those normal 10 round shorties will be a hot item

Norcalkid
08-22-2013, 7:48 AM
Last time there was an AW ban you had a window to register your guns and you were allowed to keep and use what you had prior to the ban. I am guessing this time will be similar(SB47). So I would just buy what your guna want 10 years from now and not worry about it till the laws actually pass.

Socalman
08-22-2013, 4:01 PM

Pending legislation could make all detachable magazines illegal without any grandfathering. Two bills are under consideration that address this: SB 374 and SB 396. Write to your state legislators and Gov. Brown and urge opposition to these two bills.

Actually there are others that are just as horrible to gun owners: SB 108 - mandates that all guns be unloaded and locked whether you are home or not.

SB-53 bans online sales of ammo and requires a permit to buy ammo. Also required would be a fingerprint with every ammo purchase.

SB 293 gives BUREAUCRATS the power to ban handguns.

HAVE YOU CONTACTED YOUR LAW MAKERS? IF NOT, DO IT. AFTER THE CLOWNS PASS THESE AND OTHER LAWS IT IS TOO LATE.

xmikex
08-22-2013, 6:35 PM
Grab any magazine so when us cal gunners get tired of this BS everyone will have enough ammo and mags..... I'm joking but I would get any mag I could get my hands on, no downside to having more mags they are cheap and you can always use them

barrage
08-22-2013, 8:27 PM
You guys just need to let these *******s repeal the 2nd Amendment as their true intentions are, otherwise people are going to continue thinking that writing lawmakers about about things like preserving natural rights is a viable way of going about things. Your rights have already been all bit nullified and you're just begging for someone to throw you a bone, actually celebrating the loss of only a few rights at a time instead of many. Don't get me wrong, it might have been effective 100 years ago, but the United States of today is hardly the Representative Democracy that it used to be and more of an Orwellian pseudo police state.

Just let it go and embrace the idea of subservience or revolution, because those are the only two things that are in this nation's future.

ENTHUSIAST
08-22-2013, 10:26 PM
You guys just need to let these *******s repeal the 2nd Amendment as their true intentions are, otherwise people are going to continue thinking that writing lawmakers about about things like preserving natural rights is a viable way of going about things. Your rights have already been all bit nullified and you're just begging for someone to throw you a bone, actually celebrating the loss of only a few rights at a time instead of many. Don't get me wrong, it might have been effective 100 years ago, but the United States of today is hardly the Representative Democracy that it used to be and more of an Orwellian pseudo police state.

Just let it go and embrace the idea of subservience or revolution, because those are the only two things that are in this nation's future.

^^^ Well put barrage.

Zedrek
08-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Why do people live their lives under assumptions? It's bad enough that the government screws us over with their stupid laws but now they have you so paranoid that you are "following" a law that doesn't exist or maybe won't exist.

autoduel
08-23-2013, 11:40 AM
Why do people live their lives under assumptions? It's bad enough that the government screws us over with their stupid laws but now they have you so paranoid that you are "following" a law that doesn't exist or maybe won't exist.

You mean not buying up lowers before the SB47 passes?
Or stocking up on ammo before SB-53 passes?
Ordering parts kits before AB-48 is signed?
Waiting til the rush or when it's OOS or too late?

AKSOG
08-23-2013, 11:46 AM

Yup. It's to bad they are not more readily available