PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas - Refuse UPS Delivery?

Elysium
08-19-2013, 2:00 PM
Hey Gang,

I ordered a bunch of Herters Steel Cased for $4.99 a box.

I'm hearing a lot of negatives on steel cased thats got me spooked.

Anyone refused an ammo delivery from Cabelas? Will I get a refund?

Should I just keep it?

gogohopper
08-19-2013, 2:07 PM
If it's not an error on the sellers part, why would you refuse it?

Man up.

realgreenfire
08-19-2013, 2:15 PM
keep it, shoot it, if it works you have some cheap plinking ammo, if it doesnt shoot through your rifles than put it on the marketplaces for your cost including shipping and tax and it will be bought up pretty fast and you can get some brass cased that will shoot..

refusing a shippment like that will undoubtably lose your shipping money and incur a restocking fee.. and they are usually pretty steep at most places.

third option, call cabellas and tell them you messed up in your order and that you didnt realise it was steel cased and ask them what they would like you to do in order to make a return, im sure it happens all the time with a big retailer like them.

1Archie76
08-19-2013, 2:16 PM
Just like gogohopper said...man up :) keep them ammo for rainy days

Elysium
08-19-2013, 2:26 PM
Keeping it. Thanks Gents.

hcbr
08-19-2013, 2:30 PM
ditto on what everyone says, Just use it on one of your "eats everything rifle" and save it when you dont' feel like shooting your good stuff (i.e. when another panic ensues, etc. etc. )

0351USMC
08-19-2013, 2:33 PM
Herters 7.62x39 is GTG,I dont know about .223

tal3nt
08-19-2013, 2:34 PM
Seriously?

Is it 762x39? Gtg

I've never even had a problem with the hundreds of herters 223 I've shot out of my ar

problemchild
08-19-2013, 2:34 PM
Whats kind of optics you running? If its an Acog I will give you half price for the explosion sale after you shoot.:D

jonc
08-19-2013, 2:35 PM
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Elysium
08-19-2013, 2:38 PM
Whats kind of optics you running? If its an Acog I will give you half price for the explosion sale after you shoot.:D

LOL. Nice.

I'll let you have the one point sling if its not soaked in blood.

Thomkat
08-19-2013, 2:44 PM
Keep it, resell...

negolien
08-19-2013, 4:13 PM
Stop reading intraweb myths dude and just shoot the freaking ammo. 99% of us that have used it have 0 issues don't listen to the lemmings. :TFH:

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee472/Negolien/lemming_pledge2_zpsc41a3560.jpg (http://s1229.photobucket.com/user/Negolien/media/lemming_pledge2_zpsc41a3560.jpg.html)

G21Shooter
08-19-2013, 4:40 PM
No online vendor can/or will accept returns on ammo. Keep the stuff, try it in your gun, if it does not work sell it on here.

Cabelas Herters is rebranded Tula, and I have had zero issues with Tula in my CMMG carbine length upper. My mid length does not like Tula though.

If you have a carbine length upper you should be fine, just clean the chamber well afterwards.

Elysium
08-19-2013, 5:08 PM
Thanks all. I'm keeping it.

Negolien: thanks for the confidence.

BrassCase
08-19-2013, 5:32 PM
I bought Herters 223, 62 gr, FMJ from Cabelas during the panic at $7.99/box. Just ran the last of the 100 rounds through my AR yesterday. No issues to report. My groups tightened up when I used it as opposed to the 556 PMC 55gr. X-Tac That I had been shooting before it.

sl0re10
08-19-2013, 6:46 PM
Seriously?

Is it 762x39? Gtg

I've never even had a problem with the hundreds of herters 223 I've shot out of my ar

Its probably rebranded tula this time.

454kahuna
08-19-2013, 7:28 PM
Remember reading that it is tula ammo that has been repackaged under herters. I believe Herters is a brand name only sold by cabelas.

SB1964
08-19-2013, 7:40 PM
I have some Herters, PMC, Rem. .223, Tula & Wolf I bought when I had (& saved) very little 5.56. Next time outdoors I'm gonna break in my new 80% pistol I built & shoot it all up. I got 57 pounds of mostly 5.56 & .45 today! I'm gonna order a bit more soon & get rid of all the cheap stuff, I prefer proper 5.56!

Keep it, you'll use it!

BZB
08-19-2013, 7:52 PM
You ordered it, you should keep it, it's not Cabela's fault. If you cannot shoot it in your area, just save it for a rainy day.

SloChicken
08-19-2013, 9:27 PM
You ordered it, you should keep it, it's not Cabela's fault. If you cannot shoot it in your area, just save it for a rainy day.

Yeah, I mean really.
What the hell is that!

tal3nt
08-20-2013, 2:21 PM
Yes, Herters is Tula. It says Tula right one the bottom of the casings.

The only thing that I noticed with all russian steel (223) is that the POI is considerably lower than the PMC Bronze I used to zero, even at 25yds. Like 3-4 inches lower. No jams though.

I had what I thought was a stuck casing/FTE in the chamber once, but it was actually a hard primer that failed to ignite. The cartridge however was indeed stuck in the chamber, maybe because the chamber was hot from previous rounds fired? Anyways so I removed the rear takedown pin, separeted the upper from the lower, manually recocked the hammer, reattached the upper, and pulled the trigger downrange. Stuck round went off that time and ejected the casing just fine.

CK_32
08-20-2013, 2:49 PM
Remind me never to do a PPT/Sale with you...

Because your getting cold feet doesn't mean cabelas should now eat the bill. Should have done that research pre purchase. Glad your keeping it but you need to get that mentality out of your agenda quick cause that's kinda shady.

I know I'd be pissed if I found out a buyer pulled that on my business or sale.

Elysium
08-20-2013, 6:38 PM
Remind me never to do a PPT/Sale with you...

Because your getting cold feet doesn't mean cabelas should now eat the bill. Should have done that research pre purchase. Glad your keeping it but you need to get that mentality out of your agenda quick cause that's kinda shady.

I know I'd be pissed if I found out a buyer pulled that on my business or sale.

:)

I've got some Herters for cheap if you want it.

shinzen
08-20-2013, 6:59 PM
Stop reading intraweb myths dude and just shoot the freaking ammo. 99% of us that have used it have 0 issues don't listen to the lemmings. :TFH:

99.99%. It's fine.

fmunk
08-20-2013, 7:50 PM
Hey Gang,

I ordered a bunch of Herters Steel Cased for $4.99 a box.

I'm hearing a lot of negatives on steel cased thats got me spooked.

Anyone refused an ammo delivery from Cabelas? Will I get a refund?

Should I just keep it?

And you believe everything you read on the internet? I have beachfront property in the desert I'd like to sell you for a good price.

DanHuuN
08-20-2013, 8:27 PM
And you believe everything you read on the internet? I have beachfront property in the desert I'd like to sell you for a good price.

I'll take it.

Elysium
08-20-2013, 8:53 PM
Looks like some beautiful beachfront property in the middle of desert to me.

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/maxfx/maxfx0808/maxfx080801147/3400274-aerial-view-of-lake-las-vegas.jpg

fmunk
08-20-2013, 10:56 PM
And all that could be yours! Call now or suffer regret!

DanHuuN
08-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Were you really debating on not "accepting" delivery? Doesn't make "selling" or "buying" from you via CG or any other forum seem credible at all. I'm waiting for the thread where (USER "*****") received check and cleared - but "I" have yet to receive item......

Elysium
08-21-2013, 12:02 AM
Were you really debating on not "accepting" delivery? Doesn't make "selling" or "buying" from you via CG or any other forum seem credible at all. I'm waiting for the thread where (USER "*****") received check and cleared - but "I" have yet to receive item......

There's plenty of those already, I don't plan on add to the list.

As for credibility, that's the risk I took posting this. We all run a risk when buying or selling to anyone on this forum, even if a poster has been vetted on the site for a prolonged amount of time.

Ordered the ammo last week confident after reading lots of good reviews on herters. Went to my LGS where the guy at the counter told me a bunch of horror stories about his steel cased experiences which got me spooked.

Thanks all for the kick in the a**, sage advice, and some cheap shots.

fmunk
08-21-2013, 12:10 AM
Some gun shops are full of idiots. Most don't even know the laws, let alone give advice on guns or ammo. Some people still insist that you should never shoot steel ammo in an AR, as if the AR platform is so delicate and fragile. Yet, more often than not, the same people would say the AR is the greatest rifle platform on earth. Such beliefs defy common sense.

It's not steel you are shooting down the barrel. There's no way the steel casing would erode the chamber either. If it moves in the chamber enough to erode it, then you've got bigger issues than ammo choice.

Some rifles have issues shooting steel because of their tighter than normal chambers, which cause the steel casing to not eject. When that does happen all you have to do is tap it out with a cleaning rod or "pogo" the rifle like a soldier. (Note: no, don't ride the rifle like a pogo stick, that's not what it means). The fix is fairly simple too, just have to hone the chamber to get the correct tolerance. Lots of info on how this is done online.

IIRC, Herter's is just repackaged Wolf (or is it Tula? can't remember which exactly... doesn't matter). Perfectly fine to shoot out of an AR. If anyone else tell you not to, slap them with a large trout.

Silver Bear, Brown Bear or Golden Tiger are also fine.

negolien
08-21-2013, 12:20 AM
Damn some harsh replies on here. Glad to know were all friends here eh. I almost edited my response because I thought it might come across as rude LOL.

Hope you enjoy the plinking I haven't been able to recently due to tight money situation :<(... Cant wait to get out to Sac Valley sometimes this winter.

stix213
08-21-2013, 1:03 AM
Update the shipping address online to my place

SonofWWIIDI
08-21-2013, 1:38 AM
I've got some that I haven't tried yet, but I'm not really worried about it. It will work in one of my guns I'm sure.

fmunk
08-21-2013, 7:49 PM
Damn some harsh replies on here.

It's all about a hobby. Can't take things too seriously.