PDA

View Full Version : Archangel Polymer Stock for Mosin Rifles (AA9130) Installation & Review

RoundEye
08-19-2013, 11:06 AM
UPDATE: Written Review for Guns.com can be found here (http://www.guns.com/2013/10/29/archangel-aa9130-detachable-magazine-conversion-stock/).

I was finally able to get my hand on one of the recently released Archangel Mosin Stocks and some of their 10 round magazines to review. It's a little long, but I hope you enjoy it. Part II will be coming from the range, and Part III will be from the wild while hunting hogs.

86oj6hDlsLw

*A special thanks to Mike Ballard of Archangel for making this possible.

pc_load_letter
08-19-2013, 12:55 PM
Great video! Thanks for posting.

I am hoping to pick up a spare Mosin and trying out this stock asap.

I couldn't quite see but does it come with a bipod stud?

Also, does ProMag\Archangel offer a top mounted rail system for the mosin?

Thanks again.

CWDraco
08-19-2013, 1:17 PM
I don't have an issue with you loading live ammunition and using that live ammo for the feed testing of a rifle in room not designed for that test, but I can foresee others are going to have a problem with that.

Great video.

RoundEye
08-19-2013, 7:08 PM
Great video! Thanks for posting.

I am hoping to pick up a spare Mosin and trying out this stock asap.

I couldn't quite see but does it come with a bipod stud?

Thanks again.

Thanks! Yes, it does come with an optional front sling stud that can be installed for the use of a bipod. I forgot to mention it as we did the pilot drilling all off camera, and I just forgot. I'll make sure I mention it briefly in one of the follow up videos. As for the rail system, as far as I know they do not. The challenge is the Mosin's vertical bolt handle, so unless you change that you're stuck with a scout type of optic. There is a company Rock Solid Industries, that makes a combined angled bolt handle and scope mount for about $160 and it's pretty much plug and play.

I don't have an issue with you loading live ammunition and using that live ammo for the feed testing of a rifle in room not designed for that test, but I can foresee others are going to have a problem with that.

Great video.

I'm glad you enjoyed the review. You're the second person that mentioned something about that. In all honesty we were as safe as we could be and there are somethings that would just be harder to do at the range. I didn't violate any of the safety rules, so I don't think there is really much to harp on. I am sure everyone at some point has loaded and unloaded a firearm at a place other than a range.

cfusionpm
08-19-2013, 8:13 PM
Looking good. Waiting to see more about the Remington 700 Archangel stock now!

RoundEye
08-19-2013, 9:25 PM
Waiting to see more about the Remington 700 Archangel stock now!

I know what you mean, that one with the built in bipod? It's pretty awesome. Thanks for the request, and I'll see what I can do. :D

lt05deluxe
08-19-2013, 9:28 PM
great video!

Manpants
08-19-2013, 9:55 PM
I'm still trying to find one of those stocks :(

muritku
08-19-2013, 10:04 PM

+1 I saw the stock for the R700 on sale at tacticalvantage.com but not sure if that comp/site is legit.

the stock is also posted at slickgun.

cfusionpm
08-19-2013, 10:12 PM
I know what you mean, that one with the built in bipod? It's pretty awesome. Thanks for the request, and I'll see what I can do. :D

I'm not a big fan of the built-in bipod, IMO, because it looked flimsy and non-adjustable. I got to handle it at SHOT Show back in January and liked everything else though. Just waiting for them to be released. I have the Archangel M1A stock and this looks to be the best value for money when coming to adjustable LOP and cheek riser. I just want to be able to attach my own Harris bipod at the front.

RoundEye
08-19-2013, 10:16 PM
I'm not a big fan of the built-in bipod, IMO, because it looked flimsy and non-adjustable.

It seemed like a pretty solid piece when I was fondling it at SHOT, but I hear ya, to each their own. I am sure you can easily attach a sling stud for an aftermarket stock if it doesn't come with one.

skimack
08-19-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the video. I will be looking forward to a range review.

My brother just got an archangel ak stock, and I was impressed with its quality and features. Hopefully this stock will be a similar story.

OIF0708
08-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Nice video, I got mine about two months ago. Install was easy just like yours but I had to wait on my ten round magazines. I think they anted to make sure the magazine issue was fixed before shipping them out. When I emailed them about them missing in the order when it arrived I was told that they simply ran out. They didn't think the demand would be that high. HELLO, that was the MAIN selling point. There were already plenty of other stocks already available, just none with the ten round detachable magazine. But alas, the UPS man arrived the other day with a little brown box full of ten round mags, makes a man happy, happy, happy. It did have the five round mag when it arrived. Can't wait to shoot it. Good luck with yours.

baka
08-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Nice video - Looking forward to the others!

Ian

ixta70
08-20-2013, 12:34 PM

X2 seems like a great stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

interstellar
08-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Nice T-shirt.

Nrai2020
08-22-2013, 11:01 PM
So with this stock the mosin can accept 10 round mags?

Are mosins considered to be pretty accurate rifles?

OIF0708
08-22-2013, 11:13 PM
So with this stock the mosin can accept 10 round mags?

Are mosins considered to be pretty accurate rifles?

Yes and some can be.

Cadre
08-23-2013, 12:55 AM
a friend of mine has one ,feeding problems with mags 5 or 10 rounds.

UberPatriot
08-23-2013, 1:19 AM

I have the Archangel Mosin stock.
My mags did have a feeding problem too.
There are three things you can do to remedy the issue.
1. Return the defective mags to be replaced free of charge.
2. Oil the follower and inside the magazine to reduce friction.
3. Remove the follower and spring, wedge the follower in the magazine vertically slightly spreading the magazine walls, heat in oven at 250 for 15 minutes then cool in cold water.
This will cause the mag to re-set a little bit wider and not have the friction/ feeding issue.
I just oiled mine and they work fine.

RoundEye
08-23-2013, 10:47 AM

Yes, there was a known issue that Archangel corrected earlier on in the manufacturing process which is why it took so long to get some of the pre-orders out. I made sure that I got the newer magazines for T&E so this would not be an issue.

I have the Archangel Mosin stock.
My mags did have a feeding problem too.
There are three things you can do to remedy the issue.
1. Return the defective mags to be replaced free of charge.
2. Oil the follower and inside the magazine to reduce friction.
3. Remove the follower and spring, wedge the follower in the magazine vertically slightly spreading the magazine walls, heat in oven at 250 for 15 minutes then cool in cold water.
This will cause the mag to re-set a little bit wider and not have the friction/ feeding issue.
I just oiled mine and they work fine.

Yep, that's pretty much the instructions straight from Archangel Manufacturing.

RoundEye
10-30-2013, 9:16 PM
Update. Guns.com picked up my review, and it is now linked in the first post (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=12103936&postcount=1).

Part 2 is in the works and should be up in the next month or so.

CK_32
10-30-2013, 9:21 PM
For $200 they need to get some structure and at least put in bedded pillars or something. Especially with a 54r rifle. Might look cooler but I don't think that offers much of a performance accuracy wise.

Hopefully they think about putting some in if they ever do a v2.

RoundEye
10-30-2013, 9:35 PM
For $200 they need to get some structure and at least put in bedded pillars or something. Especially with a 54r rifle. Might look cooler but I don't think that offers much of a performance accuracy wise.

I'll have to check with them regarding the metal lining. It is really strong though and could easily double as a club with or without the rifle in it. The bbl is fully free-floating, so I am not sure what you're worried about flexing.

I've only had a chance to take it the range once, but I loaded up 10 rounds of 174gr .311 SMKs and it shot a 2MOA group at 100yds on a cold bore. I'm sure if I spend a little more time working up my load, and dialing it in it should be capable of 1MOA.

fmunk
10-31-2013, 5:15 PM

Why? that would only add additional cost to the stock and most people buy Mosins because they are cheap. Plus, it's a moot point as they are surplus rifles with barrels in wide range of conditions. Not saying it can't be accurate; one rifle can be very different from one right next to it.

Besides, each owner can glass bed on their own with readily available kits.

vincewarde
10-31-2013, 6:17 PM
Why? that would only add additional cost to the stock and most people buy Mosins because they are cheap. Plus, it's a moot point as they are surplus rifles with barrels in wide range of conditions. Not saying it can't be accurate; one rifle can be very different from one right next to it.

Certainly true - but an additional factor is the availability of very cheap ammo. Right now, surplus 7.62x54r is not much more expensive than the currently inflated cost of .22 LR. Bedding the original stock will probably help, but the Archangel stock has provision for "tuning" the barrel via a movable barrel block. In theory, this should enable the user to get the maximum possible accuracy out of the ammo. It would be shocked if it does better than 2 moa, but that's still a huge improvement.

fmunk
10-31-2013, 6:24 PM
Certainly true - but an additional factor is the availability of very cheap ammo. Right now, surplus 7.62x54r is not much more expensive than the currently inflated cost of .22 LR. Bedding the original stock will probably help, but the Archangel stock has provision for "tuning" the barrel via a movable barrel block. In theory, this should enable the user to get the maximum possible accuracy out of the ammo. It would be shocked if it does better than 2 moa, but that's still a huge improvement.

Are you adding to my comment or correcting me? Cost of ammo has nothing to do with why I think expecting Archangel to include pillar bedding to be unrealistic and unreasonable.

Anyone expecting a stock with adjustable cheek rest and detachable magazine at the $200 price point to also have bedding pillars is being unrealistic and not familiar with the market. These are all features found in much more expensive stocks.

Bainter1212
10-31-2013, 6:45 PM
Bedding pillars for the Mosin are cheap and easily with a Google search.

vincewarde
11-01-2013, 2:23 PM
Are you adding to my comment or correcting me? Cost of ammo has nothing to do with why I think expecting Archangel to include pillar bedding to be unrealistic and unreasonable.

Anyone expecting a stock with adjustable cheek rest and detachable magazine at the $200 price point to also have bedding pillars is being unrealistic and not familiar with the market. These are all features found in much more expensive stocks.

Adding to your comment. My point is that the reason one might choose to make the most of a Mosin is that the ammo is available dirt cheap - at least for now. One interesting feature is the "barrel tuning block", which enables some adjustment of barrel harmonics.

My impression of the stock is that it is a cut above the typical injection molded stocks that cost $50.00-100.00, but below the more expensive stocks. I agree that if you want pillar bedding at this price, you would need to add it yourself.

My biggest concern is not the stock, it's the quality of the magazines. Pro-mag does not have a sellar reputation......

fmunk
11-01-2013, 2:25 PM
My biggest concern is not the stock, it's the quality of the magazines. Pro-mag does not have a sellar reputation......

True, but reviews online so far don't complain about the magazines. Nice thing about bolt guns... they are less picky.

SOAR79
11-01-2013, 2:31 PM
looks great!

desert dog
11-01-2013, 3:23 PM

Why would anyone waste a 700 by putting it in one of these???? They are cheap plastic stocks with small aluminum pillars. Honestly, just get a $250 B&C Medalist stock with a good aluminum bedding block and you will be lightyears ahead of a Pro-Mag stock.

I can see throwing an old Mosin in one to mess around with, but a 700????

vincewarde
11-03-2013, 7:38 PM
True, but reviews online so far don't complain about the magazines. Nice thing about bolt guns... they are less picky.

Actually the manufacturer has admitted that the initial batch of mags had problems, and many owners reported this as well, including some here. To their credit, they seem to be on top of this and have redesigned the mags and offered to exchange the old ones as well as given directions for a fix. I'm waiting to see how well the new mags work and hold up over time.

CK_32
11-03-2013, 7:46 PM

Im just saying for $200 you'd think there would be alumi pillars or something to help accuracy. If not to improve accuracy then whats the point of upgrading the stock for? Besides looking cooler obviously.

Just a thought to maybe inspire the makers to give us a little more bang for the buck and make it a bit more rigid and help with accuracy and put it on the market with other MORE accurate rifles for $350 - $400 where this stock would about put it when said and done. IMO with out that the idea is kinda moot again with some factory rifles in that range with decent accuracy. like the Ruger American.