PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1895

Emdawg
08-18-2013, 2:35 PM
Has anyone bought a new one (Remington made) recently?

Local gun shop had one new and it looked very nice, not the Frankenstein that I have heard of.

Has the quality improved?

Nooner7
08-20-2013, 5:01 PM
I bought a new Marlin 336C a couple years ago and it was/is not up to par. The machining is sloppy and I keep having jams that I haven't been able to remedy. I won't buy another Remigton made marlin until I see quality improving.

devster55
08-20-2013, 5:36 PM
I have a 1895G that is a newer one and it is tight and smooth and have never had a issue. I did change the hammer spring to a lighter spring too.

Sheepdog1968
08-20-2013, 5:59 PM
2011 when I last looked at new ones showed me quality was lacking. Personally I would look for a used one.

devster55
08-20-2013, 6:14 PM
Mine was made in 08 I thought it was newer sorry.

drh777
08-20-2013, 6:50 PM
I have a 336ss made in 2010. It had a share of problems. Wood has a few small gaps, nothing as bad as some I've seen. The front sight it's not exactly at noon. More like 11:50 or so? And the action was a little rough. It was a Xmas present from the lady so I want to keep it. So I shined up the furniture a little... Looks nice and the gaps aren't so bad you notice. The sight isn't fixed but I'm just dealing with it for now until I ever decide how I'm going to tackle it. And a couple hours inside the action polishing everything and its slicker then snot now with no reliability issues. It's one of my favorite rifles now.

I've been looking for an 1895 as well. I've seen some that were pretty good. And some that were total crap. If you want it I'd say just give it a good once over and see how it looks. See if you can live with the flaws, can fix them, or actually found one of the good ones.

cannon
08-21-2013, 5:34 AM
I went over a brand new one at the gun shop last week. Fit and finish were very good. The action was a little rough but you cat have a Smith smooth or just shoot it smooth.

MakeYaBootyBurn
08-21-2013, 6:06 AM
I just bought a 336 04/13 love it, shoots great! no FTF no FTE. the sights are dead on

Springfield45
08-21-2013, 10:32 PM
I just got a New Marlin 1895W beginning of the year. It is a very nice rifle. Like someone else said it was a little rough feeling at first. After levering it for about a week and then shooting about 10 rounds through it it smoothed up a lot. It is very fun to shoot.

saki302
08-23-2013, 12:44 AM
I picked one up here on Calguns.

The action smoothens out with use, or manually (I aided the process!).

As far as fit and finish, mine is quite nice- no problems with the wood or external finish at all.

The hardware (screws) are on the crappy (brittle) side for some reason though, you have to be careful to only use hollow ground screwdrivers with these, and even then you will mark them.

Other than the screws, I've been happy with mine 100%.

-Dave

Emdawg
08-23-2013, 8:32 PM
Oh! I thought this thread was dead in the water.

Anyways, I just put down on one at my LGS. He had it new and on sale for a good price.

My dad bought a Marlin 1894C in .357 and that thing was stiffer than new leather.

nastyhabts26
08-23-2013, 9:05 PM
I bought an 1895 in December.
Action was rough.
There is a thread in the marlin owners forum on how to smooth out the action.
I performed that ritual and used a dremmel with 600 grit wheel to smooth out all the rough edges and then used a polishing wheel and polishing compound to polish all the parts.
I changed out the Hammer spring and lever detent spring then oiled the whole mechanism heavily and worked the lever about a thousand time, wiping off the excess oil after every 100 lever thrown.
Took it down again and cleaned and lubed it and now it is as smooth as any lever action you ever saw.
The trigger pull is much better too light and crisp.
I highly recommend this treatment if when you get your gun.
Oh and by the way take it out and shoot it to see how hard it kicks first thentake it to a competent smith and have a pachmayer decelerator pad put on it.
I shot it without and damn near wrecked my shoulder the 1st day I got it, next day in it went for the pachmayer pad and now it is a pleasure to shoot.

Emdawg
08-23-2013, 9:13 PM
Yeah, we did a process on the 1894 carbine. That thing is a great little shooter now.

The 1895 rifle I picked up has a decently smooth action.

I bought an 1895 in December.
Action was rough.
There is a thread in the marlin owners forum on how to smooth out the action.
I performed that ritual and used a dremmel with 600 grit wheel to smooth out all the rough edges and then used a polishing wheel and polishing compound to polish all the parts.
I changed out the Hammer spring and lever detent spring then oiled the whole mechanism heavily and worked the lever about a thousand time, wiping off the excess oil after every 100 lever thrown.
Took it down again and cleaned and lubed it and now it is as smooth as any lever action you ever saw.
The trigger pull is much better too light and crisp.
I highly recommend this treatment if when you get your gun.
Oh and by the way take it out and shoot it to see how hard it kicks first thentake it to a competent smith and have a pachmayer decelerator pad put on it.
I shot it without and damn near wrecked my shoulder the 1st day I got it, next day in it went for the pachmayer pad and now it is a pleasure to shoot.

Epaphroditus
09-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Anyone got any tips on keeping the front sight hood front floating away? I lost like three of them suckers!

I'm about to order yet another one and JB weld that sucker on ...

cannon
09-25-2013, 6:14 PM
Anyone got any tips on keeping the front sight hood front floating away? I lost like three of them suckers!

I'm about to order yet another one and JB weld that sucker on ...

That hood is to protect the front sight in storage. You are supposed to take it off for shooting.

I like the hood on during shooting so when I reload I move it back in place.

scarville
09-25-2013, 7:55 PM
I have two Remlins -- a 336 and an 1895 -- and both have problems that I never saw on the older Marlins. Both are mechanically sound but other issues have made them "project guns". The 1895 has some problems with the loading gate and the foreend was very poorly fitted. The 336 has an extractor problem I haven't been able to cure yet. Much as I hate to say it -- I love the Marlin designs -- unless you want to tinker a lot then my best advice is to NOT buy a current production Marlin.

If we levergunners are lucky, Remington will contract with Miroku to make Marlins. I have three Miroku made Brownings and they are superb rifles. Yes, I'd rather they be made in America but I'd rather they be high qualtiy more.

Epaphroditus
09-26-2013, 11:57 AM
That hood is to protect the front sight in storage. You are supposed to take it off for shooting.

Never knew that, thanks. I much prefer it on during shooting, too. JB Weld it is!

Bruce
09-26-2013, 12:53 PM

:facepalm:

Cypriss32
09-26-2013, 1:22 PM
Had one it went further then most people's Alaska and Canada. I sold it this year and bought a 375 ruger with open sights and a 20" barrel. It's got a mcm htg on order for it. As someone that hunted with one, I think there are better choices. They really are an open sight gun. I learned quick my 350gr tsx load will do anything the 45-70 can and give me better range. My marlin was a pre remy rifle. Quality was wonderful and if you are dead set buy a guide gun pre buyout. If you want a cool lever, look at the Chiapa kodiak. Looks solidly built with the 1886 style action.