PDA

View Full Version : Buy a Remington 700 Action? Good Idea? Where to Buy?

mega4ce
08-18-2013, 1:22 PM
I'm looking to eventually build up a precision rifle. I am a bit short on funds for toys right now but would rather get something prior to the registration deadline in 2014.
I was thinking of just buying a Remington 700 action for the moment and eventually building it up properly once funds are more readily available. Is this a good idea? Is it even feasible to find an action for sale? I have just searched via google and have not seen too many places selling them.

CK_32
08-18-2013, 1:26 PM
It's cheaper to buy a factory rifle than to buy the action.

Baseline 700s are about $425...

700 action alone is usually about $300 to $400.

Also it's almost a better investment to just buy a GAP Gladiolus or higher end factory "custom" rifle than have a local smith do it.

Dee_Dub
08-18-2013, 1:26 PM
bass pro has a couple of 700s for 599 ( no Glass included ). I might be wrong but I think Bolt guns are exempted from the reg deadline, I think its just semis.

mega4ce
08-18-2013, 1:42 PM
bass pro has a couple of 700s for 599 ( no Glass included ). I might be wrong but I think Bolt guns are exempted from the reg deadline, I think its just semis.

I believe it is all long guns. "AB 809 mandates long-gun registration, starting January 1st, 2014. The bill does this, essentially, by treating long guns the same as handguns." - http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0801-0850/ab_809_bill_20111009_chaptered.html

postal
08-18-2013, 1:54 PM
Cheapest 700 you can find- or get a custom action like stiller/defiance/badger etc

Cypriss32
08-18-2013, 1:57 PM
Whats the back log on a custom action? 6 months, 1 year now? Whats the cost on one? 1000-2000? Buy a 700 off the market place if you are worried about having one before there's a rush. Sell off parts and have a build done.

RugerNo1
08-18-2013, 1:59 PM
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/one-piece-receivers/remington-700-receivers-prod32498.aspx

Thorax
08-18-2013, 2:00 PM
In stock, ready to ship to your FFL.

http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/category/actions/product/pierce-action

Also, check out their titanium action

russ69
08-18-2013, 2:00 PM
The old rule was that if you bought a Remington action and had it blueprinted that were better off starting with a custom action, cost wise. If you aren't going to have it fully trued, then a complete gun gives you a lot of parts you won't have to buy later. A cheap way to make a good gun is to screw on a custom barrel and drop in a good trigger and stock. You'll have a very good shooter after that.

motorwerks
08-18-2013, 2:03 PM
find a used one. I just found a Remington 700 chambered in 7mm (so long action) that needs a bolt for $100.00 All I want is the action and maybe the trigger to get me by for a while.

mega4ce
08-18-2013, 2:04 PM
The old rule was that if you bought a Remington action and had it blueprinted that were better off starting with a custom action, cost wise. If you aren't going to have it fully trued, then a complete gun gives you a lot of parts you won't have to buy later. A cheap way to make a good gun is to screw on a custom barrel and drop in a good trigger and stock. You'll have a very good shooter after that.

The plan currently is to have it blueprinted, but it sounds like the better move is to just start with a custom action?

vintagearms
08-18-2013, 2:04 PM
A cheap way to make a good gun is to screw on a custom barrel and drop in a good trigger and stock. You'll have a very good shooter after that.

That's what Im doing Remington SPS Tactical in .223. Ditching the factory barrel and stock. Have a Bartlein barrel ready to be installed once AR15barrels) Randall gets back to me ( hint hint) and got a Timney trigger and Manners T2 stock ready to go.

postal
08-18-2013, 3:16 PM
The plan currently is to have it blueprinted, but it sounds like the better move is to just start with a custom action?

Depends on what your budget/time frame is. And what you want in the end.

Want to shoot *NOW* and start cheap? Get the cheapest 700 you can find- used is even better.

You can upgrade parts as your budget allows, and be able to shoot in the meantime.

A tuned up 700 action is no slouch. Though people say a full custom action from a good maker is superior.

RugerNo1
08-18-2013, 4:04 PM
Look into Stiller, Borden, Pierce and Defiance for excellent customs. They also have stocking dealers if you would rather have a more generic "production" action from a custom maker.

ar15barrels
08-20-2013, 2:15 AM

Buy a complete gun like an SPS varmint.
Shoot the factory barrel for a year or two while you learn what you really want in a custom gun.
Then build your custom gun...

ar15barrels
08-20-2013, 2:27 AM
Have a Bartlein barrel ready to be installed once AR15barrels) Randall gets back to me ( hint hint) and got a Timney trigger and Manners T2 stock ready to go.

I have answered all pm's and emails that looked like they needed a reply in the last few weeks.
If you have not heard back from me in more than a couple days, perhaps there was not a specific question in your communication for me to answer.

I get blank pm's and emails sometimes and I figure people just hit send before they should have and will send another one eventually.

I answer 40-50 emails, pm's and text messages a day so its hard to keep track of individual projects when you work in that kind of volume...

safety-1st
08-20-2013, 10:12 AM
I see you guys talking about a 2014 deadline? What exactly is this bill referring to? If there is a condensed summarized link you can direct me too I would highly appreciate it. The actual link to the bill is pretty intimidating to read and I don't speak lawyer lol

ar15barrels
08-20-2013, 10:35 AM
I see you guys talking about a 2014 deadline? What exactly is this bill referring to? If there is a condensed summarized link you can direct me too I would highly appreciate it. The actual link to the bill is pretty intimidating to read and I don't speak lawyer lol

Starting january 1st 2014, all long guns will be registered like handguns or assault weapons.
If you want to own any more long guns that are not registered, you need to get them this year...

safety-1st
08-20-2013, 4:28 PM
Oh I see so unlike the ARs or handguns with the background checks dros, you can just go and buy a 700 Remington with no wait?Just purchase and walk out with one? I would assume of such a bill is passed you would have to register your rifle anyways right?

ExtremeX
08-20-2013, 4:46 PM
All guns in CA require DROS / wait period except private party C&R.

If you buy a Remington 700 today its no different than buying an AR or any other long gun from a dealer. Not sure where you came up with this R700 cash and carry idea.

ExtremeX
08-20-2013, 4:49 PM
OP... I went down the same road... I would just start with a base model 700 like an ADL model or an SPS Tactical or Varmint.

Not much savings over buying just the action. Plus you get to beat on the OEM barrel and have a functional rifle until you are ready to start getting some work done.

russ69
08-20-2013, 4:50 PM
Oh I see so unlike the ARs or handguns with the background checks dros, you can just go and buy a 700 Remington with no wait? Just purchase and walk out with one? I would assume of such a bill is passed you would have to register your rifle anyways right?

Technically rifles are not registered with the state. The 4473 is still available and can be viewed anytime LE wants. For most gun nuts, we have multiple guns registered and the feds have copies for prior sales for the stores that went belly up. There are only a few people that have everything "off record" in California and they are dying off fast.

ar15barrels
08-20-2013, 5:10 PM
Oh I see so unlike the ARs or handguns with the background checks dros, you can just go and buy a 700 Remington with no wait?Just purchase and walk out with one? I would assume of such a bill is passed you would have to register your rifle anyways right?

You currently have to do the background check, DROS and wait for long guns or handguns.
They just do not report the long gun info to the state.
Only the dealer knows the make/model/serial.
Handgun purchases are fully reported to the state.

So, if some govt agent looks up your name in the database, he can see the make/model/serial of each handgun and assault weapon that you currently have registered.
He currently can NOT find a list of the rifles and shotguns you own.
Starting next year, any new long guns you purchase will also be instantly available in the database.

NorCalFocus
08-20-2013, 5:14 PM
I picked up my 700 Varmint SPS for $619 at the Bass Pro, Just FYI

safety-1st
08-20-2013, 5:29 PM
Ah ok makes sense thanks for clearing it up ar15barrels

Thanks extreme for the input. I wasnt making anything up. I was asking a question with a scenario only because I did not understand the law.

Thanks again everyone.

LynnJr
08-20-2013, 5:37 PM
Mega4ce
If you want to build it into a precision rifle buy a bare receiver for $215 without the bolt or trigger as they won't be used and upgrading them cost more than new.
Next go to Pacific Tool and order a bolt with the correct face size for whatever chambering you plan on using. 0.378 0.473 0.532 Then tell them you want the body of the bolt at 0.704 so when the receiver is bored to 0.705 you have 0.001 clearance.
You might as well order up the coned boltface while your at it and the Sako extractor as well.
You definitely want the 0.062 firing pin rather than the huge factory pin so you don't blank primers.
If you did all this work to a factory bolt it would cost over $400.
From Pacific it runs about $238 for everything including the bolt and a handle of your choice.
You should get the handle tig welded on and Dan Armstrong at Accu-Tig is welding two for me right now.
You end up with everything new and built to custom action specs for a fraction of the cost.
I have done this many many times.

Cypriss32
08-20-2013, 6:47 PM
Mega4ce
If you want to build it into a precision rifle buy a bare receiver for $215 without the bolt or trigger as they won't be used and the upgrading them cost more than new.

Who has those?

LynnJr
08-20-2013, 7:06 PM
If you go to www.Benchrest.com and look in the classifieds there is a poster there that separates 700's into pieces and sells them as parts.He isn't there all the time but he is there most of the time.
Here is a typical ad.This one is $30 more.
http://benchrest.com/class/index.php?a=2&b=6616

beenawhile
08-20-2013, 7:47 PM
Add says no shipping to Ca. WTF?

milotrain
08-20-2013, 9:39 PM
Buy a complete gun like an SPS varmint.
Shoot the factory barrel for a year or two while you learn what you really want in a custom gun.
Then build your custom gun...

Very good shooters I know followed this path and are very happy. However if you are sold on a bare action then I'll recommend this:

blueprinted actions for $615 (http://www.nwactionworks.com/#!components/c23j7)

LynnJr
08-21-2013, 7:57 AM
The actions posted above don't have the 0.062 firing pin so that adds $75 to the $615 base price brings the cost up to $690.
They also don't have dual sleeves on the bolt body which runs $125 minimum plus shipping so now your up to $690 + $125 or $815 and you still have no coned bolt.

thomashoward
08-21-2013, 4:32 PM
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/one-piece-receivers/remington-700-receivers-prod32498.aspx

this
plus you will need the bottom metal

6mmintl
08-27-2013, 7:18 AM
WTS Remington 721 LA .308 Win. In MacMillan stock, C & R
Brand new Remington 26” .308 Winchester 1x12” varmint weight barrel fitted+ .003” on Sami Go Gage.
Fluted/polished firing pin, tuned Remington 700 trigger breaks’ at 2.75lbs.
MacMillan Anschutz silhouette stock pillar bedded and two sling/bipod studs/aluminum posts, epoxied into fore stock.
Scope/rail mount (700SA) and Bipod not included as these are personal preference items for Buyer.
$900 C & R FTF
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL149/8996569/24008199/405301442.jpg
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL149/8996569/19640107/404790943.jpg http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL149/8996569/19640107/404790944.jpg

Wrangler John
08-27-2013, 10:56 AM
Bare Remington 700 receivers are available here:

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-amp-action-parts/receivers/one-piece-receivers/remington-700-receivers-prod32498.aspx They come and go in stock, requiring checking back occasionally.

I prefer to purchase them this way rather than mess with cannibalizing a new or used rifle. The new actions are accurately machined so that the do not need truing. You can have them trued if you have a mind, spending a little at a time, but read the review under #767-000-818WB Standard 700 SA Blued:

Comments about REMINGTON 27553 700 S/A RH W/308 BOLT FACE:

I spent some considerable time checking dimensional accuracy and alignment in anticipation of truing it.
The receiver face is perpendicular to OD to .0001", the bolt face is true to better than .0001", the threads are parallel to the axis to .0008" in 6", the locking lugs mate perfectly when bluing compound is applied and the bolt rotated. In short, there is not one dimension on this action that needs fixing or that is not as good as the very best custom action.

This was my experience also. The advantage of the Remington action is that parts are available and will be well into the future, including accuracy enhancing parts and accessories. If you break a part on a limited run custom action parts may not be as easily replaced. I have rifles built on custom actions, but they offer no significant accuracy gains for my purpose of varmint hunting.

I sent my current project action to Greg Tannel and had the bolt double sleeved, a precision double pinned recoil lug installed (for swap barrel application), the firing pin bushed and the locking lugs matched (not lapped). The cost at the time was $310.00. I also installed a Jewel Trigger myself. None of this was necessary as I have unmodified Remington actions that shoot as well.

As for barrels, I use Pac-Nor SS Super Match barrels manufactured with the RemNut that allow me to install them with the Savage barrel nut wrench http://www.pac-nor.com/. The nut allows all the barrels to be swapped between various Remington 700 receivers and rifles in my collection of the same cartridge family. This current build has three barrels, a Bergara Spanish manufacture varmint contour in .22-250 Remington, a Pac-Nor Sendero Countour Super Match 1:9" twist in .22-250 Ackley Improved with a Pac-Nor muzzle brake, and I am awaiting a Pac-Nor Super Match Sendero countour 1:10" twist polygonal rifling barrel in .308 Winchester with a Vais muzzle brake. I will not purchase another barrel without the nut.

The Remington 700 action coupled with a Tannel (or other brand) recoil lug for aluminum bedding chassis stocks http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-553/bell-carlson-medalist-tactical/Detail that drops in with no fitting and a drop-in M4 tactical detachable box magazine http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/the-473/Wyatt%27s-Outdoor-Detachable-Magazine/Detail allows swapping between a sporting and tactical configuration. You build it yourself.

The only competition to the Remington 700 Action, is the bare Savage Precision Target Actions, single shots, which need absolutely nothing, other than a barrel and stock, to shoot fantastic groups. Both actions can be ordered from a FFL dealer.

AlliedArmory
09-13-2013, 5:07 AM
If I were going to build a custom 700, I would start with a custom action. After all the money you will put into it, you can just buy a nice custom receiver for nearly the same price.