View Full Version : Cleaning My New XD9

01-03-2008, 3:37 PM
I just got this gun brand new, it's my first handgun and my second gun i've ever owned. How often should I be cleaning it (after X amount of rounds through it), and should I do anything to it before I shoot it the first time? Thanks!

01-03-2008, 3:40 PM
Clean it after each trip from the range.

01-03-2008, 4:24 PM
I also have an XD-9 and a XD-45gap, I run a few patches thru 'em after every trip to the range and a deep cleaning about every 10th time. No need to go overboard.

c good
01-03-2008, 4:34 PM
They are sometimes a little dry when they come out of the box. I'd do a quick strip of the slide (use caution with the take down lever, and follow the instructions explicitly or one can mar up the slide pretty good!) and put a little bit of light oil on the recoil spring/guide combo. A little bit of light oil or fine layer of grease on rails of slide, and a little dab of grease on underside center rail of slide where it goes over the striker to reset it. A little bit of light oil on the barrel where it locks up in the top of slide and that should do it. Make sure bore is clean and free of obstructions. Reassemble and go have fun. The more you shoot it you will see little wear areas as it breaks in. Just a little dab of light grease or light oil in these areas will prevent excess wear in the long run. Have fun! c good

The SoCal Gunner
01-03-2008, 6:38 PM
I like to clean them after every trip because I don't know how long it will be before I go shooting again. Sometimes it is a few months before I get to go out and play again so I prefer not to run the risk of rust or other issues. Leaving them a week or two wouldn't be an issue but I'd at least wipe them down with a silicon cloth.

03-08-2008, 9:23 PM
I like to clean them after every trip because I don't know how long it will be before I go shooting again. Sometimes it is a few months before I get to go out and play again so I prefer not to run the risk of rust or other issues.

Same here, plus my guns look quite dirty after couple hundred round at the range..

03-08-2008, 9:54 PM
With any new gun, field strip it and wipe off all factory grease. When you're done with that, give it a good light coat of oil, wiping away excess. Running a patch, or boresnake through the barrel once or twice probably doesn't do any harm either. A user on the HKPro board took a P2000 out to the range without removing the grease and the slide encountered too much resistance to cycle properly.

04-14-2008, 10:37 PM
My new xd-40 from factory looked good it was lightly oiled so i left it like it was. It shot great!

Black Majik
04-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Most like to clean after every range trip. I clean after every 500 rounds. I'd run out of solvent and oil regularly if I cleaned after each time since I shoot weekly.

But, go by what you prefer, everyone has different intervals to clean. I used to clean after every range session, every time. I didn't want to sleep until all my guns were clean. But someones after coming home and looking at the pile of guns you brought back from shooting, you just wanna go to bed instead.

Just properly maintain it and keep it well lubed and it should be a-ok :)

04-14-2008, 11:34 PM
I don't know about the newer xd's but the older "blue" ones had issues with being fairly rust-prone. If you don't clean it after every range trip, wipe the outside down with an oily rag or silicone cloth after every range trip or it might be a bit rusty the next time you bring it out.

04-15-2008, 7:01 PM
Where's the pictures!

04-15-2008, 9:48 PM
Here is a stock pic.

04-16-2008, 1:57 PM
Nothing to add to the cleaning advice adready given - it's all good stuff!

But when you do get around to taking her *all* the way apart you might want these links:

Frame exploded view: http://xdguys.com/images/XDframeparts.jpeg
Slide exploded view: http://xdguys.com/images/XDslideparts.jpeg
Disassembly steps: http://www.xd-hs2000.com/disassembly/disassembly.html

You only need a couple different size punches, a nylon hammer, a set of needle nose pliers, and a flat head screwdriver (carefult not to scratch!). It doesn't take too long if you follow the instructions closely ;)

Good luck - enjoy your XD! Now all you need to do it buy on in every caliber and barrel length :)

04-16-2008, 11:03 PM

04-20-2008, 5:36 PM
So whats the best way to get rid of smoke residue on the gun. After 200 rounds at the range, I had quite a bit on the end of the gun. Just wipe it off? I got an XD45acp Service model last week, Im in love. Honestly like it better than sig 226 :eek:

04-21-2008, 9:40 PM
For the residue on the muzzle, I just wipe down the slide with Hoppes to clean it, dry it off with a dry patch, and then wipe it down with some CLP. My XD9 has a tad over 6,000rds and it still looks like the day I bought it. :D