PDA

View Full Version : Korean 30-06 Surplus

SMarquez
08-16-2013, 1:52 PM
Shot some out of my M1 this morning. It shot pretty good, with my week eyes groups were 1" at 25 yd. sight in and 6-8 at 100. The thing that was weird was how the cases ejected. It seems like the first 2 went to 1 o'clock and the next 6 went straight out at 3 o'clock. My hand loads go to 3-4, some new old stock FN went 2-3 consistently. Has anyone else found that effect from their M1 and Korean surplus?
FWIW I don't think the ammo will make my barrel fall. I'm just interested in the ejection pattern.
P.S. Peep sights are no fun with weak eyes.

P220
08-16-2013, 2:24 PM
Are they corrosive ammo??

Justintoxicated
08-16-2013, 6:58 PM
Do you mean Greek HXP out of your Korean imported Garand? Did you sort your HXP by datestamp?

M1NM
08-16-2013, 7:34 PM
Korean ammo is corrosive - clean your bore with Windex first. Take the gas plug out and gas cyl off to clean. don't forget the face of the op rod.

Steve_In_29
08-17-2013, 12:37 AM
My Korean ammo varies it's ejection pattern from my Garand as well.

Orlando
08-17-2013, 5:13 AM
Korean ammo is corrosive - clean your bore with Windex first. Take the gas plug out and gas cyl off to clean. don't forget the face of the op rod.

PS Korean headstamp is not corosive , KA headsamp is corrosive

bob_e95482
08-17-2013, 5:45 AM
The Korean I've been buying is advertised that it MAY be corrosive. And that it MAY also have a couple of steel cased rds.

Orlando
08-17-2013, 5:55 AM
You need to look at the headstamp to know for sure, KA headstamp IS CORROSIVE no matter what the vendor tells you

SMarquez
08-17-2013, 7:06 AM
My Korean ammo varies it's ejection pattern from my Garand as well.

This is the info I was looking for. I know how to clean a rifle after using corrosive ammo.
I ain't skeered.
Thanks

smle-man
08-17-2013, 11:29 AM
You need a water based solvent or just plain hot water to dissolve and flush the salt in the corrosive primers. Dry and then follow up with a solvent to take care of the carbon and copper fouling. The gas cylinder needs to be pulled off and the gas port area on the barrel cleaned. The gas cylinder is stainless steel but it should still be cleaned. The oprod tip is stainless but about 2" length from the end is susceptible to rust from corrosive primers. Don't forget the chamber of the barrel and bolt face too! All of these are areas that neglected M1 rifles show pitting from improper cleaning from corrosive primed ammunition.