PDA

View Full Version : What is it with blanking out serial numbers?

OC Speedball
08-16-2013, 1:13 PM
I just bought my first AR a week ago, and picked it up yesterday :D. Before I post pics though, I was wondering why about 50% of people cross out their serial numbers and the other 50% don't.

Is it some sort of fear that the government will see the serial number and register it? (Which isn't an unreasonable fear this day in age). Just wondering why some do and some don't.

Cheers

russ69
08-16-2013, 1:15 PM
Normal paranoid behavior.

DBADRAT
08-16-2013, 1:15 PM
I usually do just so anyone lurking cant find anything about the gun or me. Some do block the last several numbers to show the time built. Some don't care.

Gutz
08-16-2013, 1:17 PM
What serial numbers? :D

Milsurps
08-16-2013, 1:19 PM
I just bought my first AR a week ago, and picked it up yesterday :D. Before I post pics though, I was wondering why about 50% of people cross out their serial numbers and the other 50% don't.

Is it some sort of fear that the government will see the serial number and register it? (Which isn't an unreasonable fear this day in age). Just wondering why some do and some don't.

Cheers

Or others for nefarious reasons. :TFH:

OPSEC ! ;)

gun toting monkeyboy
08-16-2013, 1:31 PM
They do it because all of the gun magazines did it for years. There is no real reason to. But because they have seen somebody else do it online, many people assume that there is a reason to do it, and so they blank it out in their own photos. And the cycle perpetuates itself.

-Mb

bohoki
08-16-2013, 1:38 PM
well if i post serials of guns registered to me then certain people might find out who i am and call in an airstrike of my current coordinance

VictorFranko
08-16-2013, 1:42 PM
They do it because all of the gun magazines did it for years. There is no real reason to. But because they have seen somebody else do it online, many people assume that there is a reason to do it, and so they blank it out in their own photos. And the cycle perpetuates itself.

-Mb

Ummmm, no.

Many of my firearms are registered with the manufacturer through the serial number for warranty purposes. On file referenced by that serial number is my name, address and phone number. Why would you put any traceable information about yourself on a public forum for the whole world to see?

Danodog
08-16-2013, 2:03 PM
Some of these people take photos with their smart phones with location services enabled. They won't cough up their serial number, but in some cases they are giving a road map.

GunsNGirls
08-16-2013, 2:13 PM
I try to do it sometimes, but I really don't see how someone could take advantage of that information.

gabe123
08-16-2013, 2:32 PM
there is no benefit in showing the serial number. But then it could be harmful, now or in the future. Once you release that information on the web, there is no going back. Then why do it?

bighead
08-16-2013, 2:42 PM
Ummmm, no.

Many of my firearms are registered with the manufacturer through the serial number for warranty purposes. On file referenced by that serial number is my name, address and phone number. Why would you put any traceable information about yourself on a public forum for the whole world to see?

Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would a manufacturer randomly give out a customers name and adress, knowingly or not? I ask because it seems highly improbable.

JohnnyPark805
08-16-2013, 2:44 PM
ever been on 4Chans /k/ board? post a pic of your gun with the serial number showing and you'll quickly realize in fact why its always a good idea to hide your serial number

bighead
08-16-2013, 2:50 PM
Who in the **** would put any personal info on 4chan lol?

SOAR79
08-16-2013, 3:02 PM
I wouldn't post anything on here that might be traced back to me

GunsNGirls
08-16-2013, 3:06 PM
ever been on 4Chans /k/ board? post a pic of your gun with the serial number showing and you'll quickly realize in fact why its always a good idea to hide your serial number

What the hell can they even do other than troll the manufacturer with your serial number or if anyone were stupid enough, make a false police report that it is stolen.

And why would you put anything personal on 4chan?!

SonofWWIIDI
08-16-2013, 3:14 PM

Who in the **** would put any personal info on 4chan lol?

I believe that JohnnyPark805 was not saying "put personal info on 4chan", I believe he was alluding to some people on 4chan taking the serial number you might post and digging up your personal info.

I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.
:)

BumBum
08-16-2013, 3:20 PM
I asked an FFL recently, and he said the reason is because if you have a full serial number, some idiot can report it stolen. And if you ever have some otherwise peaceful contact with law enforcement who checks your guns, they will run a check and find you have a "stolen" firearm.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
08-16-2013, 4:34 PM
Because what you put out on the Net stays on the Net forever. Why publish personal information that you don't have to? In short, personal OPSEC.

Dsal_13
08-16-2013, 4:47 PM
Identity theft! :facepalm:

Actually I dont know why they do it... but I can see why and why not... Me? I dont really care...

toby
08-16-2013, 4:49 PM
...:willy_nilly:......:laugh:

Byrd2000
08-16-2013, 5:14 PM
So thuh guvmint can't getchyer foil hat.

JohnnyPark805
08-16-2013, 6:08 PM
I believe that JohnnyPark805 was not saying "put personal info on 4chan", I believe he was alluding to some people on 4chan taking the serial number you might post and digging up your personal info.

I'm sure he will correct me if I'm wrong.
:)

/K/ is their gunboard, have some really cool stuff on there, the issue is someone having your serial number, a picture of it, a description, and then reporting it stolen. just to make your life harder.

briguy64
08-16-2013, 6:12 PM
I do it because I see it done everywhere else, besides, it can't hurt you to do it, so why not?

deckhandmike
08-16-2013, 6:16 PM
All it takes is for someone to report the gun stolen with your serial number and then wait for LEO contact. Watch who the gun gets returned to. Not you!

dls
08-16-2013, 6:23 PM
Can't people with the skills to track you down with a S/N# just as easily track you with IP or email or stock you online to gather enough intel, then lurk outside you're bedroom window to see what your doing in there ?

brassburnz
08-16-2013, 6:25 PM
well if i post serials of guns registered to me then certain people might find out who i am and call in an airstrike of my current coordinance

This for the win!

barrage
08-16-2013, 6:25 PM
Because when we said Obama would come after our guns with a vengeance after he got re-elected, people said we were being paranoid.

And when we said the government was recording our phone calls, email, and digital communications, people said we were being paranoid.

And now, when we declare that gun registration will lead to confiscation, those same people are still saying we're being paranoid.

Hell, I'm half considering filing the ****ers off since just owning a gun is going to be a crime in America at some point soon and I'd prefer not having a bunch of pictures of me and/or my guns on the internet with serial numbers displayed for organizations like the NSA to catalog in the personal file they have on me.

toby
08-16-2013, 6:26 PM
All it takes is for someone to report the gun stolen with your serial number and then wait for LEO contact. Watch who the gun gets returned to. Not you!

I would bet on this not happening.

riceman
08-16-2013, 6:36 PM
What do you mean serial number all the ones I have bought don't have a sn#:oops:,wasn't supposed to say that huh?
Only kidding, really.

anti
08-16-2013, 6:40 PM
Most people blank them because they see others do it, and for peace of mind. I personally do it because I get my peace of mind.

killshot44
08-16-2013, 6:56 PM
Hell, I'm half considering filing the ****ers off since just owning a gun is going to be a crime in America at some point soon

Defacing/removing the serial number IS a crime, Mr Paranoid.

barrage
08-16-2013, 7:43 PM

Am quite aware of that.

anti
08-16-2013, 7:46 PM

You think that's bad? Try ripping off that tag on your mattress! :eek:

bohoki
08-16-2013, 8:46 PM
i basically have like 4 classes of gun

A. guns that are registered to me such as pistols, assault weapons, and 50 bmg

B. guns that bought new meaning they came directly from the distributor to my ffl to me (a skiptrace would really be quick)

C. used guns transfered through ffl (harder to trace but paperwork exists with my name on it

D. cash and carry c&,r homebuilds ,pre 1899, guns made before 1968 with no serials

hambam105
08-17-2013, 1:45 AM
That last post of yours, wasn't that the gun I just loaned to you....hummm? Or, Hey! You never paid in full for that gun and now I want it back.

Okay, okay okay okay oohhhhkkayyyy.

Anyone who would like to post the serial numbers of any or all of their guns have my permission to do so.

desertexplore
08-17-2013, 2:11 AM
All the years of talking about this subject, not once have I seen someone actually report an incident from posting their serial number online.

VictorFranko
08-17-2013, 5:25 AM
Out of curiosity, under what circumstances would a manufacturer randomly give out a customers name and adress, knowingly or not? I ask because it seems highly improbable.

In today's age of information and identity theft? Who's talking about them 'giving out' your information?
Heck, I had to buy some special medicine, only one time, from a major national pharmacy that delivers the medicine to your home or infusion center the day of your treatment. Some hacker cracked their computer security and stole patients personal info, which of course included SSN numbers. I was one of the lucky few whose info was known to be stolen.
Banks and the FBI can not keep people from cracking their security, you think Ruger or SA can?
bighead, it's time to pull your head out (sorry, that line was just begging to be used here considering your screen name :)) and protect your identity at all times.
If you are looking for people who own guns, what a better place to come than Calguns.

Clever
08-17-2013, 6:15 AM
Block them out. Your gun is clean right? The serial numbers can be copied and carried as a clean gun. (Duplicated) Not reported stolen or anything.

bender152
08-17-2013, 7:11 AM
Since I'm resizing the picture in a photo editor anyway, I'll take the extra 20 seconds and blur out the serial.

thomashoward
08-17-2013, 3:16 PM

probably the same circumstances that phone company's and computer companies have due to government spying. It ain't random.
They'll cough it up in a heartbeat if demanded. Not so improbable now is it?

Dattebayo
08-17-2013, 4:38 PM
I was under the impression so people can't take your serial and engrave it onto another identical firearm and committing a crime with such firearm.

kkp
08-17-2013, 4:48 PM
Since I'm resizing the picture in a photo editor anyway, I'll take the extra 20 seconds and blur out the serial.

^^ This. Although it doesn't take me 20 seconds to do, more like 3. ;) (Photoshop content-aware fill FTW!)

There could be harm done, if someone was motivated to do so, by releasing the serials. Considering it takes a truly negligible amount of time and effort to blank out the serials, why not?

Norcalkid
08-17-2013, 9:31 PM
I was shopping for a car this summer and noticed that a lot of adds even blocked out the license plates. :batman:

Motor Man
08-17-2013, 10:25 PM
What the heck is 4chan .com or whatever it was?

EL_NinO619
08-17-2013, 11:09 PM
Because when we said Obama would come after our guns with a vengeance after he got re-elected, people said we were being paranoid.

And when we said the government was recording our phone calls, email, and digital communications, people said we were being paranoid.

And now, when we declare that gun registration will lead to confiscation, those same people are still saying we're being paranoid.

Hell, I'm half considering filing the ****ers off since just owning a gun is going to be a crime in America at some point soon and I'd prefer not having a bunch of pictures of me and/or my guns on the internet with serial numbers displayed for organizations like the NSA to catalog in the personal file they have on me.

WORD!

five.five-six
08-17-2013, 11:11 PM
why would you put anything personal on 4chan?!

For the Luls :shrug:

EL_NinO619
08-17-2013, 11:14 PM

Its not paranoia, wake up buddy. What will it take for you not to call it paranoia, when the D**k of dictatorship is up your A**

POLICESTATE
08-17-2013, 11:15 PM
For the Luls :shrug:

LULZ

:rolleyes:

POLICESTATE
08-17-2013, 11:18 PM

Cheers

Because you never know who is on CGN, besides all the law enforcement and government monitoring. I'm sure we have more than a few weirdos on here.

It's up to you, you either worry about it or you don't. There's no point debating whether it's really necessary or not.

Might as well debate which tastes better: Dark or Milk Chocolate.

For the record it's Dark Chocolate btw. :D

Germz
08-18-2013, 1:15 AM
What serial numbers? :D
+1 :D