PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500 tactical question

Lester53
08-15-2013, 8:58 PM
I just jailed a Howa 1500 tactical and now I need to start looking for a scope.

Does anyone know if the rail on the tactical is a standard Picatinny rail or is it something different?

This is my first bolt action (.308) and I'm looking to try some medium range target shooting. Any suggestions on scopes. One person suggested a Redfield and I understand they are pretty good. I want a decent scope, but it's obviously not a high-end rifle so I would like something reasonably priced.

Xtracrispy
08-15-2013, 9:05 PM
Should be standard picatinny.

I recently bought a Remington 700 308 and mounted a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 on it. From my research it seemed like a good scope to get my feet wet in long range and fit my budget. I'm happy with my choice.

But, be prepared to hear a ton of different opinions.

In before the "buy a scope that cost at least as much as you rifle" crowd :)

CobraRed
08-15-2013, 9:15 PM
You'll be spending about a dollar for every yard you want to shoot accurately with it.

Lester53
08-15-2013, 9:16 PM
Thanks man.

I know I've opened a can of worms by asking about scopes. I definitely don't want to spend a ton. This is my first scope and I don't know how frequently I will really get out to do med/long range shooting.

I'm looking for something decent that's affordable to, as you said, get my feet wet. :33:

Should be standard picatinny.

I recently bought a Remington 700 308 and mounted a Bushnell Elite Tactical 10x40 on it. From my research it seemed like a good scope to get my feet wet in long range and fit my budget. I'm happy with my choice.

But, be prepared to hear a ton of different opinions.

In before the "buy a scope that cost at least as much as you rifle" crowd :)

ar15barrels
08-16-2013, 12:56 AM
I'm looking for something decent that's affordable to, as you said, get my feet wet. :33:

Define "affordable" using only numbers with a dollar sign in front of them.

Lester53
08-16-2013, 6:42 AM
Define "affordable" using only numbers with a dollar sign in front of them.

That's a fair question, affordable is kind of open-ended.

I paid about $500 for the rifle and at this point I would definitely not want to pay more than that for the scope. I would probably prefer something closer to $250 - 350.

I fully understand that the price range I'm talking about is not going give me a super high quality scope. I'm sure that some would probably argue that I'm throwing away money and should save and put this toward a higher quality scope.

Basically I'm looking to test the waters and see if this is something I'm going to get into and do more frequently. If I love it, I'll upgrade gear in the future. If I don't, I won't be out that much.

I'm looking for something that is decent quality and gives me decent range. I would like something that will be good enough that scope quality won't turn me off (and scope won't fall apart after 10 shots), but at the same time, it doesn't have to be high enough quality to satisfy an expert marksman either. I certainly don't qualify as that. This is my first bolt action rifle and my first scope (other than a 1x red dot).

jetman624
08-16-2013, 8:54 AM
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Scopes-C1719.aspx

I don't know that these can be beat for the money.

I got the fixed 12x with MRAD adjustments for my 700P in .223. Haven't taken it to the range yet... If you do some research you will see that many agree these are REALLY tough to beat for the money...

One thing I did find in my research is that there were some complaints about some of the higher power SWFA fixed scopes being a bit fuzzy-- that is why I stuck with 12x.

ar15barrels
08-16-2013, 10:58 AM
I paid about $500 for the rifle and at this point I would definitely not want to pay more than that for the scope. I would probably prefer something closer to $250 - 350.

My standard recommendation in that price range is a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with side focus and mildot reticle.
It's got good quality glass and most important is that the mechanics are very good quality.
That means that when you dial 2moa of elevation, the bullet actually moves 2moa on target.
When you dial back to zero, the scope returns to zero.
The scope is made in Japan so you won't have to worry about it falling apart like the chinese low-end scopes...

Stepping up to $350 gets you into a bushnell 5-15x40 tactical model.
This one is also made in Japan, tracks accurately and will have nicer target knobs than the Nikon, but the focus is moved forward to the objective.

I have used both of these scopes to win competitions and continue to use them on my budget-minded guns where I'm not going to spend $2800 for a US optics scope.

sigstroker
08-16-2013, 1:21 PM
That's a fair question, affordable is kind of open-ended.

You can get a budget Made in the U.S.A. Leupold for that much.

ar15barrels
08-16-2013, 1:27 PM
You can get a budget Made in the U.S.A. Leupold for that much.

Show us a picture of the scope where it actually SAYS "made in the USA" on the scope.
There are govt regulations concerning marking products.
Products have to be produced with more than 51% USA sourced parts/materials.
The low-cost Leupolds are using so many foreign parts in them now that they can no longer be marked "made in the USA".

They might be marked "Assembled in the USA" which pretty much designates that more than 51% of the parts are foreign and that the scope was assembled here.

"Made" and "Assembled" are VERY different concepts...

Lester53
08-16-2013, 1:44 PM
Thanks Randall. I really appreciate you taking the time to provide your inut.

My standard recommendation in that price range is a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 with side focus and mildot reticle.
It's got good quality glass and most important is that the mechanics are very good quality.
That means that when you dial 2moa of elevation, the bullet actually moves 2moa on target.
The scope is made in Japan so you won't have to worry about it falling apart like the chinese low-end scopes...

Stepping up to $350 gets you into a bushnell 5-15x40 tactical model.
This one is also made in Japan, tracks accurately and will have nicer target knobs than the Nikon, but the focus is moved forward to the objective.

I have used both of these scopes to win competitions and continue to use them on my budget-minded guns where I'm not going to spend $2800 for a US optics scope.

sigstroker
08-16-2013, 9:49 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Leupold-VX-1-2-7x33mm-Riflescope/22049020

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA

ar15barrels
08-16-2013, 10:05 PM
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Leupold-VX-1-2-7x33mm-Riflescope/22049020

Assembled in Country of Origin: USA
Origin of Components: USA

That's the best you have?
How abou just show me a picture of the scope tube that says "made in the USA" on it?

Merc1138
08-16-2013, 10:16 PM
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-1-riflescopes/

Sure, they're probably designed in the US. Sure, they're probably finishing(machining) some components in the US. Sure, they're probably assembling them in the US. Yet oddly enough, they can't simply state "made in the USA".

Even the box for my VX-3(which happens to be sitting on a shelf not too far from my computer) has zero text about "made in the USA" on it. Nor does any of the paperwork in the box state that it's made in the USA. I'm pretty sure that if they can't claim a VX-3 is made in the USA, they aren't making VX-1's here either.

Oh, and oddly enough, Bushnell doesn't seem to have a problem listing where they make their scopes right on the packaging. Yet Leupold oddly leaves that out while sticking "America's Optics Authority®" on the box.

Arnelcheeze
08-20-2013, 12:43 PM
your rifle is only as good as the optic that sits on it.
check this thread there is a good deal on a good value optic.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=805556&highlight=howa+1500

FUBAR
08-20-2013, 5:29 PM
Get a Super Sniper 10x scope from SWFA.

wsmc27
08-22-2013, 3:37 PM
I just jailed a Howa 1500 tactical ...

Please let us know how you like it? :)

We are considering adding one of those in .308

Lester53
08-22-2013, 7:47 PM
Thanks all.

I got a Redfield Revenge scope on here for a great deal and I'm going to give that a try and see how things go.

I can rescue the Howa from jail on Monday and hopefully I'll be able to head out somewhere to shoot before too much time lapses.

ODub
08-22-2013, 7:59 PM
Nice post, Lester. I just jailed the same rifle and I'm in a very similar situation as you. Everyone pitched in with some good info, so thanks to all.

Lester53
08-22-2013, 8:16 PM
Nice post, Lester. I just jailed the same rifle and I'm in a very similar situation as you. Everyone pitched in with some good info, so thanks to all.

Hey man. Good luck to you.

I'm sure you're as excited about getting yours and I am mine. These darned waits are like torture.

ExtremeX
08-22-2013, 8:52 PM
Personally I would have went with the SWFA fixed 10x, or Randalls recommendation on the bushnell 5-15x40.

I am just making the assumption since I don’t know which exact scope you picked up, but I assume the Redfield is missing some key features one would want in a target scope. If anything it may make your first experience with a bolt action rifles less desirable.

I think a ranging reticle in MOA or MRAD with matching turrets is a must. So much of the experience and learning comes from the optics side of the rifle and cartridge ballistics. I think a BDC / Hunting scope may not be the best fit if you intent to use this as a target rifle.

Either way, upgrades are always fun too, enjoy the rifle; let us know how it shoots.

InterSpool
09-05-2013, 9:54 PM
Any update on this? Did you find a scope?

I am SUPER tempted to grab one of these Howa 1500 Tactical's in .308 from Turner's for $579.99. I held one the other day when I picked up my new G26 and it felt amazing. The action is very crisp and that is a HUGE deal to me. The Howa 1500 and Savage 10FP are the only bolt actions I'm considering.

ar15barrels
09-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I am SUPER tempted to grab one of these Howa 1500 Tactical's in .308 from Turner's. I held one the other day when I picked up my new G26 and it felt amazing. The action is very crisp and that is a HUGE deal to me. The Howa 1500 and Savage 10FP are the only bolt actions I'm considering.

I can smooth out most bolts except a savage by tuning of the cocking piece and bolt.
Of the two you are looking at, go with the Howa.

6mmintl
09-06-2013, 2:29 PM
Try out the bushnell 3200 10x tactical with mildot reticle in MOA knobs (don't buy mildot knobs) for around $200-$225.

Great scope for 100-800 yard shooting with plenty of elevation/windage adjustment.

Lots of military rifle silhouette shooters are using these around the bay and Sacramento.

6mmintl
09-06-2013, 2:33 PM
On another note you said its not a "High End" rifle, I would have to disagree, the actions are extremely well made and dimensionally excellent for building up into a much better accuracy platform, its the barrels that are not as good as other more notable rifles like Savage or Remington.
If you pulled off the barrel and looked at the breach machining its a thing of beauty/machining.

ExtremeX
09-06-2013, 2:49 PM
On another note you said its not a "High End" rifle, I would have to disagree, the actions are extremely well made and dimensionally excellent for building up into a much better accuracy platform, its the barrels that are not as good as other more notable rifles like Savage or Remington.
If you pulled off the barrel and looked at the breach machining its a thing of beauty/machining.

I almost bough a Howa 1500 yesterday in .223 until I found out it was 1:12 twist…

I never thought I would consider a Howa 1500 but after checking it out in the store the action does feel pretty nice and looks well made. I just wish it was a 1:9 or 1:8 twist so I wouldn’t be tempted to re-barrel it right out of the box.

ar15barrels
09-06-2013, 8:42 PM
I almost bough a Howa 1500 yesterday in .223 until I found out it was 1:12 twist…

I never thought I would consider a Howa 1500 but after checking it out in the store the action does feel pretty nice and looks well made. I just wish it was a 1:9 or 1:8 twist so I wouldn’t be tempted to re-barrel it right out of the box.

I have a Bartlein 1:7 twist 0.224" 5r barrel blank on the shelf if you want to make it into a gun that can shoot the 90gr 0.224" bullets...

6mmintl
09-07-2013, 5:47 AM
Kendog4570 has rebarrelled two of these for me with Krieger's and they shot 1/2 MOA consistently.

Std. Remington takeoff barrel was used on one action with modification.

We modded one for m14 mags

MeatyMac
09-08-2013, 6:21 AM

I concur, the Nikon Buckmasters scopes are a good, repeatable scope for the money.

cruddymutt
09-08-2013, 5:20 PM
I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 mounted on my sons Howa 1500 in 223. The rifle is used 100% for coyote/bobcat hunting and has held up excellent. I got it at BPS for $200

23 Blast
09-09-2013, 2:43 PM
You'll be spending about a dollar for every yard you want to shoot accurately with it.

Dangit. Now I need to find a range that has a 39.95-yard line! :D