PDA

View Full Version : AK parts kit - all created equal?

nat
01-01-2008, 8:40 PM
Hi there, I am a newbie to calguns, but I have been a lifelong shooter. I am great with tools and have a well stocked shop. An AK build seems like a lot of fun. I have been searching and reading and I have a couple questions.

Is there a preferred vendor to buy a parts kit from? Any country of origin that I should stay away from?

For a receiver flat, who is the best vendor? Any site that just gives the dimensions?

Thanks!!

FEDUPWBS
01-01-2008, 8:55 PM
Location? Sounds like you need to use the search button. And Google too

nat
01-01-2008, 9:02 PM
I am in Santa Cruz County. I found some big lists of vendors, just wondering who people like to use.

Builder
01-01-2008, 9:08 PM
I am in Santa Cruz County. I found some big lists of vendors, just wondering who people like to use.Building from a flat is not a trivial matter.
A Romy G parts kit works very well with an NDS-3 receiver. It takes about an hour to remove the remenants of the old receiver from the trunions. My first build was a screw build and has since been converted to a TIG weld. The last 3 have all been TIG builds. I prefer this as the barrel does not need to be removed. Many others prefer a rivet build. For the rivet build the barrel is removed.
Thanks,
Builder

FEDUPWBS
01-01-2008, 9:12 PM
Do lots of reading here http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php? and then decide weather to build or buy.

nat
01-01-2008, 9:29 PM
I definitely want to build one.

wilit
01-01-2008, 9:58 PM
Unfortunately you're a few months too late for the $99 Romanian G parts kits. Because of the 2005 barrel importation ban, prices have been going up steadily for the past year or so.

I just got a 1982 Romy G kit from Copes (www.copesdist.com) for $139 and it's a REALLY nice numbers matching kit. Pretty much any kit you get now will be $139 or more. I've also build a Yugo underfolder, but Yugo kits have gone WAY up in price, and the kits are generally well worn (they were actually used in their civil war and they look the part). But they're a great piece of history. There are some Yugo virgin kits out there, but they're generally $450 or more.

As for flats, I've never bent one, but I've heard Tapco flats aren't the best. I think most people order theirs from www.ak-builder.com. I too enjoy building things with my hands, however, unless you already have access to a bending jig, buying one and the spot welder can greatly increase the cost of building 1 or 2 AK's. I suggest buying a receiver from www.nodakspud.com and building from there. It saves so much headaches IMO.

nat
01-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the reply...........Copes was one place I was considering.

I have my own mill, welder, lathe, etc and I was thinking about making my own jig, but I may buy a receiver for the first time.

wilit
01-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Also, here are the two best online tutorials on how to build an AK.

http://pookieweb.dyndns.org:61129/AK/docs/construction/construction.htm

http://gunsgutsandgod.com/index.htm

The two most important tools you'll need (especially if doing a Romy build) is a 20 ton press and the bolt cutter/rivet smasher. There's a how-to on the pookieweb site on how to build the rivet smasher.

nat
01-02-2008, 7:51 AM
Nice links, thanks.

One thing I do not understand and have not seen mentioned.......

These rifles when put back together...........are they SA or FA?

MustangO4
01-02-2008, 8:32 AM
If you are still asking this you need to do a LOT more reading. Just start here on the home page www.calguns.net and read ALL of that stuff. You can get on the wrong side of the law quick. You have to do your homework to get into this.

nat
01-02-2008, 9:32 AM
I admit that the legal stuff is very confusing. I have read the stuff on the home page. What I get is that an AK is never going to be legal, as there is no way to load it with stripper clips.

The way to get around it and have a detachable magazine (no more than 10 rounds), is to change the stock to one that has no real hand grip or thumb hole.........plus 30" in length.
Oh and a receiver from a FFL, plus 6 US made parts.

Is my understanding correct?

MustangO4
01-02-2008, 11:00 AM
You are getting there, but also wrong on other stuff. Check out here
www.thegunwiki.com it has a lot there too.

Utha Schleigle
01-03-2008, 9:02 PM
"Quote From NAT"

Nice links, thanks.

"End Quote"

Semi Auto. Get new trigger group ( semo auto ). You will only be able to buy SA stuff any way.

Read Read Read - Start planning your around the Fed and State of CA requirements.

FA only heats and burn out barrells and you can a lot of fun with SA. Just go to AK forum and search bump fire and double/triple tap. Also after 3 to 4 rounds one would have readjust aim any way. So there is no practical reason for FA unless you want/need quality time with the DA.

Good Luck and have FUN.

oaklander
01-03-2008, 9:12 PM
You need to do more research on this topic. Full-auto rifles in California are illegal (except in certain rare circumstances).

You will be building a semi-auto rifle.

For your first AK, I suggest getting a WASR-10. I would not choose an AK as a first build (start with a FAL, or an AR).

Nice links, thanks.

M. Sage
01-03-2008, 9:13 PM
The way to get around it and have a detachable magazine (no more than 10 rounds), is to change the stock to one that has no real hand grip or thumb hole.........plus 30" in length.

I should really get around to taking and posting a picture of myself holding my Romy AK at arm's length, in one hand, by the MMG...

nat
01-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I do realize that full auto is illegal in california. My question was more about how they come into the US. I was curious if abroad they made semi-auto or if everything was full auto.

I should have been more clear in my question.

MustangO4
01-04-2008, 12:10 PM
They come with the reciever hacked up and the one you will buy will be SA. Some times some of the FA parts come with the kit, but they don't fit and if you are smart you will destroy them and pitch 'em. You have to buy some US parts to be legal anyway, and the fire control group is easy and the most common. Hope this helps. Sorry to push back, but this stuff is out there you just have to find some good sources (some listed above) and read till your eyes bleed. I feel your pain. I want to build a couple of guns that are new platforms to me and it is tough to sort through all the stuff. Start by reading and understanding the law, then the gun specific info makes sense.

Winn R
01-07-2008, 6:42 PM
You are getting there, but also wrong on other stuff. Check out here
www.thegunwiki.com it has a lot there too.

10. I want to build an operational AR-class lower from an 80% blank. This wouldn’t be on the list, so that’s legal, isn’t it?
No, no, no! Walk away from this - there’s too much chance this may not be legal. At best, it’s a murky situation.
The Harrott decision indeed protects off-list AR and AK series receivers. The problem is that there’s really no practicable way that homebuilt AR and AK receivers could ever be listed individually by “make and model”, and thus these may fall out from the scope of Harrott: the Harrott decision, after all, was all about practicality and uniformity.

If these receivers are not Harrott-protected, there’s a chance they could fall back under Kasler, making possession of such receivers a felony.
For now, you should only acquire off-list AR and/or AK series receivers from normal commercial production.

Some of this conflicts directly with "standard proceedure" here. Is this concern, regarding 80% and flats, no longer an issue?

MustangO4
01-07-2008, 6:54 PM
Some of this conflicts directly with "standard proceedure" here. Is this concern, regarding 80% and flats, no longer an issue?

Some folks think 80% recievers are too close to the line to accept the risk. Others don't. It kinda depends on how you look at the whold 80% issue. Homebuilts are okay and for AKs not too tough, but the flats sure make it easy. Lots of folks here build on flats, lots say build from scratch or not at all. If you have the tools and skill to bend, shape, and build from a flat, you can build from scratch, it's just tougher and gives you more chances to screw it up. There you have it then.

Winn R
01-08-2008, 11:20 AM
The 80% receivers on a Federal level are pretty well established although arbitrary; the Halo 80% 1919 side plate being a good example of capricious bureaucracy.

I was a little unclear about Cali regs on AK flats, it's good to know the consensus is they appear to be ok.