PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant women and shooting?

Waingro
01-01-2008, 6:23 PM
Can pregnant women shoot guns safely? Noise? Gasses? Recoil?

I am not talking about a .50BMG or anything crazy like that of course, just the usual.

Ech0Sierra
01-01-2008, 6:29 PM
I don't think rifles would be a good idea, and during pregnancy, lead in the mother’s blood can pass freely to her unborn child. High blood lead levels can affect the unborn child’s developing brain and cause developmental problems. If a mother has been exposed to lead in the past it may have been stored in her bones and can be released, along with calcium, during pregnancy.

scoutpup99
01-01-2008, 6:35 PM
My wife went shooting we me all the way up to the final month of the pregnancy. Her doctor told her as long as it was at an outdoor range with good ventilation it would be alright. Our daughter came out fine. The baby is very well protected in the womb.

Daniel

Waingro
01-01-2008, 6:35 PM
Could she shoot a Desert Eagle since you are do not use led in those? I would imagine the sound would be the worst.

scoutpup99
01-01-2008, 6:39 PM
as long as you are at an outdoor range she should be alright. During my wifes pregnancy she was under the care of a perenatoligist (sp?) which is a highrisk pregnancy doctor and he had no problems with it. just my 2 cents.

Daniel

Waingro
01-01-2008, 6:40 PM
So no indoor ranges? Shucks.

USN CHIEF
01-01-2008, 6:40 PM
My wife went shooting we me all the way up to the final month of the pregnancy. Her doctor told her as long as it was at an outdoor range with good ventilation it would be alright. Our daughter came out fine. The baby is very well protected in the womb.

Daniel

We got the same answer from two Docs.... :)

Japedo
01-01-2008, 6:42 PM
I took my wife up until the 6 month mark, she was shooting a pistol gripped shot gun, and a 38 with a 2 inch barrel. I would have continued taking her but it seemed she had to use the restroom every 20 minutes, so she decided to stay home when I would go on trips.

bluestaterebel
01-01-2008, 6:44 PM
pregnant woman shooting? thats hot

knuckled
01-01-2008, 6:50 PM
What do y'all think of:

"21 No pregnant women allowed inside the range. The noise will damage the fetus."

http://www.thelosangelesgunclub.com/rules.html

Satex
01-01-2008, 6:55 PM
I would advise against it because the developing fetus is surrounded in liquid which is an excellent acoustic conductor. We haven't found any established research on this topic so we decided to error on the side of caution.

Xenophanes
01-01-2008, 8:54 PM
EPA says no

http://www.epa.gov/region02/waste/leadshot/bmp3_7.pdf

metalhead357
01-01-2008, 10:24 PM
I would advise against it because the developing fetus is surrounded in liquid which is an excellent acoustic conductor. We haven't found any established research on this topic so we decided to error on the side of caution.

that'd be about what I was gonna say....... but if ya' *must*...I would certainly do it outside/well ventilated...minimal calibers...

And No, I aint a doc...but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express about a month ago.:)

Always error on the side of caution...................