PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here know the duty ammo of the LACSD?

Ech0Sierra
01-01-2008, 11:51 AM
The reason why is that if I need to defend my life, I don't want some idiot prosecutor raving about how I was using teflon-coated-high power-exploding-black talon-cop-killing bullets. If I use the duty ammo of my local LEOs, this point is moot. Anyone here know? Any replies would be appreciated.

Rob P.
01-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Use, and practice with, whatever tool is necessary to defend and preserve your life. Any arguments about whether a 10lb hammer is really necessary when a 5 lb one will do the job is superfluous BS.

And, of course, the odds are you'll never need to make the counter argument anyway.

CaliGunOwner
01-01-2008, 2:51 PM
As I understand it the LASD use Ranger ammo in their duty guns. As nice as the Winchester Ranger might be, it is suppose to be stricley for LE use only and relatively tough to find for the civilian populous :rolleyes: If you use a quality factory defensive ammo (like Hydrashoks, Golden Speers, et al) you'll be fine ;)

Ech0Sierra
01-01-2008, 3:17 PM
HAHA, that's one of the ammos I've tried, still got half a box left, I'd normally use .40 Hydra-Shok, but Ranger I can just get at Cabela's.com or CTD. Hydra-Shok is what my Beretta 96 loves though...

MedSpec65
01-01-2008, 3:45 PM
Just avoid the stuff with hairy names like "Extreme Shock", etc. Most of this stuff is frangible ammo anyway and has minimum penetration and maximum fragmentation upon impact.

retired
01-01-2008, 3:45 PM
EchoSierra, I believe I can answer that as I spent 27yrs. with the dept (actually referred to as LASD;)). I've been retired for only 4 1/2yrs and know they still carry the same ammo as I go to the range at Biscauliz to buy it. Also, just a fyi, I spent 10yrs. at the station in your area.

They do use 147gr Winchester Ranger SXT LE in the 9mm and 230gr +P in 45. Even tho it says LE on the box, it is not restricted to le. If you want to find some, there are several sites on the net where it is available. One that I'm familiar with is http://xdtalk.com

Go to the Ammo Can forum once there and do a search for it. There is a guy named hotpig who sells Winchester Ranger ammo.

Also, you do not need to buy what the local le in your area uses to be safe in a legal shooting; legal being the operative word. There are numerous robust handgun rounds available and I will provide you a link to a site that does extensive ballisitic ammo testing. Dr. Gary Roberts is a recognized expert in the field and does testing for the military and le. The link is from 2005, but is still valid.

You will note at the bottom that he points out that Federal Hydroshok is an outdated ammo and not recommended. Federal makes much better ammo (HST for one) that has better penetration of clothing, which Hydro was lacking (think of a bad guy wearing multiple layers of clothing in a cold enviroment). So, stay away from the Hydoshock.

Here is the link:

http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bin/tacticalubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=78;t=000964

Ech0Sierra
01-01-2008, 4:16 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

radioactivelego
01-01-2008, 9:46 PM
The reason why is that if I need to defend my life, I don't want some idiot prosecutor raving about how I was using teflon-coated-high power-exploding-black talon-cop-killing bullets. If I use the duty ammo of my local LEOs, this point is moot. Anyone here know? Any replies would be appreciated.Uh, case precedent? And if you are already in court for killing someone in self defense, what type of ammunition you used would be the least of my worries.

Max-the-Silent
01-02-2008, 5:33 AM
The reason why is that if I need to defend my life, I don't want some idiot prosecutor raving about how I was using teflon-coated-high power-exploding-black talon-cop-killing bullets. If I use the duty ammo of my local LEOs, this point is moot. Anyone here know? Any replies would be appreciated.

The ammo type question is more of a Massad Ayoob worst-case lawsuit scenario than a criminal issue. Ayoob likes to hear the sound of his own voice. ymmv.

Use whatever ammo your pistol likes best and practice with it until the cows come home.

tyrist
01-02-2008, 4:54 PM
winchester ranger SXT

.38 spl uses gold speer.