PDA

View Full Version : Wild Sports & others in Sac..

ViPER395
01-01-2008, 11:14 AM
In frequenting this shop for quite awhile, every month or two, i've noticed something:

Their handgun selection is shrinking. It is half what it used to be. They used to carry something I wanted, but I went in there recently and they don't carry any of what I was interested in. Their window is nearly half empty.

Can anyone with some experience or knowledge confirm or rather, explain this?

Are they hurting or what?

-

I've noticed the same thing since Badger Johns moved. In their old place it seems like they had alot more pistols and revolvers. Just in their shop last week and they had very little.

Pulsar
01-01-2008, 11:20 AM
I think it's got a lot to do with Sportsmans Warehouse, they can sell new guns cheaper than any local store ever could. I know you can buy a brand new Ruger 10/22 from them cheaper than the normal dealer cost to local stores. As for used guns I haven't seen much of a drop off if any at all at the shop I work at, but I don't really get out to check the other shops out either.

ViPER395
01-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I know Wild Sports doesn't meddle with used guns.

One thing i've noticed lately in there are people actually asking if they can help me. That's new to Wild Sports.

About Sportsman Warehouse... Awesome place. 30min from me, but i'll make the drive just to look around. Looking at the handguns in there, they don't have exactly what i'm looking for...
Anyone know if they order custom models?

rg_1111@yahoo.com
01-01-2008, 11:35 AM
Could some of the pistols been droped off the safe handgun list?

ViPER395
01-01-2008, 11:45 AM
Not the ones I was looking for.

They used to have them. That window used to be full I swear!

MrTuffPaws
01-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, their stock as been sucking as of late. I noticed it before Sportsman's Warehouse went in. I wonder if they are moving away from handguns in general? They had really good prices, so they weren't making huge profits from them, and now with the competition, they will make even less.

daveyclimber
01-01-2008, 3:18 PM
It most likely is an inventory issuse. Less inventory means less overhead. These shops are probably more than willing to do special orders. Gun shops will stock and sell something they can turn quickly ( like most biz) and make a respectable profit.

CA357
01-01-2008, 4:21 PM
I was in Wild Sports last week. Their service is still spotty to put it charitably. Their handgun selection has gotten progressively smaller. They still have "sale ammo" at reasonably decent prices, although prices have gone up. They've also cut the number of boxes you can buy in half from ten down to five.
I live in town and it's no longer worth my time to drive there. I'd rather drive an extra fifteen minutes or so and go to Sportsmans Warehouse.
I buy the majority of my ammo, guns and firearms stuff at River City Gun Exchange.

MadMex
01-02-2008, 6:31 AM
I’d rather spend a bit more for quality service than tolerate a place like Wild Sports. I hope Sportsman’s puts those mofos out of business. I also hope they have read every comment posted about them on this forum.

scootergmc
01-02-2008, 9:53 AM
From my over the counter gun store intel, Sportsman's Warehouse has taken quite the bite out of Wild Sports' business.

Also, I don't know how Badger John's can afford that property they're now in.

I too frequent River City Gun Exchange for the majority of my purchases.

ViPER395
01-02-2008, 1:15 PM
From my over the counter gun store intel, Sportsman's Warehouse has taken quite the bite out of Wild Sports' business.

Also, I don't know how Badger John's can afford that property they're now in.

I too frequent River City Gun Exchange for the majority of my purchases.

I agree with you about Badger Johns. I hope he makes it. Inventory seems really sparse in there and he's been in that location for 5 months now. Seems like they'd have filled some more in by now.

Never been to RCGX, maybe this week since I am in the market for a handgun. Is it really crowded in there on the weekdays like i've heard? The guys in there friendly and talk or do they just stare at you like when i'm in Wild Sports?

Again i'll pose the question: Does Sportsman Warehouse do special orders for firearms?

scootergmc
01-02-2008, 1:59 PM
Never been to RCGX, maybe this week since I am in the market for a handgun. Is it really crowded in there on the weekdays like i've heard? The guys in there friendly and talk or do they just stare at you like when i'm in Wild Sports?

Again i'll pose the question: Does Sportsman Warehouse do special orders for firearms?

RCGX just moved (two doors down) and have at least twice the space as the old place. They're still getting everything set up. They've always been helpful. Go check it out and form your own opinion. I've been well-served. My weekday experiences have always been less-crowded, as opposed to Saturdays. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays. They'll order anything you want.

As far as Sportsman's Warhouse, I believe they will do special orders. They offered to do one for me when I was in the market for my Ruger Alaskan.

RDG
01-02-2008, 5:04 PM
I live very close to Sportsman's Warehouse, but I'll drive to River City. I prefer it to any other gun store and over the years I've done a lot of business there. I'm completely satisfied with their products, pricing and especially happy with their service.
Bob

ViPER395
01-02-2008, 5:32 PM
I live very close to Sportsman's Warehouse, but I'll drive to River City. I prefer it to any other gun store and over the years I've done a lot of business there. I'm completely satisfied with their products, pricing and especially happy with their service.
Bob

Looks like i'm definately going to have to hit up RCGX tomorrow or Friday. Maybe I can have my first handgun by the end of January!

586L-Frame
01-02-2008, 7:08 PM
Looks like i'm definately going to have to hit up RCGX tomorrow or Friday. Maybe I can have my first handgun by the end of January!

Like my prior post on Wild sports.
They suck and they will never get my business again.

Just picked-up my 1st handgun for 2008 at River City Gun Exchange.
Great place to stop by and chat with staff as well as customers,
and to check-out their latest inventory.
Stop by, you might like it.

586L-Frame

EOD Guy
01-03-2008, 7:39 AM
I buy the majority of my ammo, guns and firearms stuff at River City Gun Exchange.

I was there last Saturday and saw that they had moved a few doors down from their former location and have double the space they used to have.

Rust
01-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Wild sports is a little weird to deal with. Good prices generally but the staff and their redundant rules are a pain in the ***. Badger Johns is right up the street from me, but I've stopped going in there because their trying to pay that rent by charging more than any other shop in town on just about every item in the store. I think the staff is decent, and particularly like the old man who works in the reloading department, but even for me to drive clear down to Sportsmans Warehouse I save money. I can't say much for the shops on the other side of town as I only head to one if I'm trying to find something specific. So far the ones I've been to have been decent in my dealings with them.