PDA

View Full Version : Update on Palmer v. DC

Al Norris
08-11-2013, 12:04 PM
Concerning the long overdue adjudication of the Palmer (carry in DC) case, just yesterday, Alan Gura filed a Motion To Expedite. The docket (http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.dcd.137887/gov.uscourts.dcd.137887.docket.html) has been updated and the motion (doc #44) and memorandum in support (doc #44.1) have been made available.

This case was filed back on Aug. 6, 2009 and was assigned to DC District Judge Henry H. Kennedy. A MSJ (by the Plaintiffs - doc #5) was filed on Aug. 26, 2009 and a cross motion for MSJ (by defendants - doc #6) was filed on Sept. 9, 2009. Briefing was complete on Jan. 29, 2010.

After waiting some time for Judge Kennedy to order hearing or publish an opinion, C.J. Roberts ordered the case transferred to Judge Frederick J. Scullin, of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York, on Jul. 18, 2011.

Since that time, numerous notices of supplemental authorities have been filed and a hearing on the MSJ and Cross-MSJ have been held (Oct. 2012). As the latest motion affirms:

This case is now in its fifth year before this Court. Over three and a half years have passed since the Court first heard argument on the parties’ cross-motions for summary judgment, and nearly a year has passed since the Court re-heard those arguments.

Hopefully, this will prod the court to act.

fizux
08-11-2013, 1:13 PM
Knowing our luck, expect the case to be dismissed for failure to prosecute.

smn
08-11-2013, 4:15 PM
:twoweeks:

I wish.

Rossi357
08-11-2013, 5:03 PM
I am expecting a rational basis decision.

Apocalypsenerd
08-11-2013, 5:03 PM
So am I reading this right? The case has sat on 2 judges desks for the better part of 4 years?

ccmc
08-11-2013, 5:10 PM
For clarity - this one involves carry in DC whereas Heller involved possession?
How long did it take before Heller reached SCOTUS?

ziegenbock
08-11-2013, 5:15 PM

Did you read heller?

Chatterbox
08-11-2013, 5:27 PM
Did you read heller?

I also am expecting a "rational" scrutiny decision masquerading as "intermediate" scrutiny decision.

Chatterbox
08-11-2013, 5:33 PM
For clarity - this one involves carry in DC whereas Heller involved possession?
How long did it take before Heller reached SCOTUS?

Heller was filed in 2003, accepted by SCOTUS in 2007, ruled in 2008.

curtisfong
08-11-2013, 5:35 PM
I also am expecting a "rational" scrutiny decision masquerading as "intermediate" scrutiny decision.

yep.

CCWFacts
08-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Glad he's giving them a poke.

Me too.

sholling
08-12-2013, 12:01 AM
It's very likely that Judge Scullin will require an additional 1-2 years to ponder the Motion To Expedite, plus a year or two to ponder each of the notices of supplemental authorities that will pile up while he ponders the Motion To Expedite, and still more years to get back to pondering the original case once he rejects the motion to expedite. But at least he has various court of appeals blessed examples of rational basis dressed up as intermediate scrutiny to use as a boiler plate rejection.

coryhenry
08-12-2013, 12:33 AM
I'm expecting this to be drug out for many more years.

Rossi357
08-12-2013, 12:35 AM
Did you read heller?

Of course I did.
See post #8 by chatterbox.

Paladin
08-13-2013, 10:39 PM
I hope this works and they don't have to go w/a PI at this stage of the game....

Amazing how federal judges are against securing our RKBA that is supposed to not be "infringed" upon acc to the 2nd A. I used to hold federal judges in higher esteem than state judges -- not anymore.

I've got a feeling these next 12 months are going to be an emotional roller coaster with all the 2nd A cases in play.

RRangel
08-13-2013, 11:11 PM

Rational basis is not involved when fundamental rights are concerned.

Gunsmith Dan
08-13-2013, 11:36 PM
Yes Heller took awhile before it got to the SCOTUS because it had to go up the line of courts to get there.

This case after 5 years in the courts, sitting in front of 2 district court judges has not gone anywhere, basically after 5 years this case has not even crossed the STARTING line let alone run in the race. If either side appleals and it does go up to SCOTUS as this rate might be 15+ years to get there.

What troubles me is that this case, which is for DC was reassigned from a DC district court Judge to a NY district court judge who I have no idea if he liberal leaning or not.

Apocalypsenerd
08-13-2013, 11:42 PM
Liberal leaning or not, a judge should be impeached for sitting on a case for 2 years with no movement.

SemperFi1775
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
where can we find a Shira Scheindlin to review the case?

anthonyca
08-14-2013, 12:09 AM
Did you read heller?

Too bad many lower court judges didn't.

curtisfong
08-14-2013, 4:41 PM

In CA, if that fundamental right is incorporated via the 2nd, even strict scrutiny is equivalent to rational basis.

krucam
09-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Supplemental Authority (re: People v. Aguilar in IL) was submitted by Gura last week in Palmer.

http://www.archive.org/download/gov.uscourts.dcd.137887/gov.uscourts.dcd.137887.45.0.pdf

With IL turning Shall-Issue, DC is rightfully called out as the sole jurisdiction with no Carry provision whatsoever.

Kestryll
09-17-2013, 1:19 PM
It's very likely that Judge Scullin will require an additional 1-2 years to ponder the Motion To Expedite, plus a year or two to ponder each of the notices of supplemental authorities that will pile up while he ponders the Motion To Expedite, and still more years to get back to pondering the original case once he rejects the motion to expedite.

What is he, a freakin Ent!?!?!

Can a judge be sued for intentionally delaying a case to deprive people of civil rights?

bussda
09-17-2013, 1:23 PM

Can a judge be sued for intentionally delaying a case to deprive people of civil rights?

Not an Ent. And no, they cannot be sued, Which has been cited several times on other threads where cases have gotten bogged down...

p7m8jg
09-17-2013, 1:30 PM
Liberal leaning or not, a judge should be impeached for sitting on a case for 2 years with no movement.

Good luck getting rid of any federal judge. Once they're appointed for life, they're god in their courtroom. Only politicians can remove them and we know how hard they work on the people's business. NOT..:facepalm:

Paul S
09-17-2013, 3:59 PM
Rational basis should not be involved when fundamental rights are concerned.

FIFY..that is certainly a main part of the problem. Although it should not be... it is...and no one not even the Supreme Court seems able to do anything about it. :(

curtisfong
09-17-2013, 4:36 PM

Currently, in CA, there is no difference between rational basis and strict scrutiny when it comes to firearms legislation.

sholling
09-17-2013, 10:33 PM
No self respecting Ent is that slooooooow. No, he's just stubbornly stalling his decision for as long as humanly possible to delay Gura's appeal of his eventual rational basis rejection of carry as a right until after Obama or Hillary appoint two more antis to the SCOTUS. I figure he can get away with it for at least another 2-3 years.

speedrrracer
09-18-2013, 7:52 AM
I figure he can get away with it for at least another 2-3 years.

Why only 2-3 years? Why not forever? :shrug:

sholling
09-18-2013, 8:25 AM
Why only 2-3 years? Why not forever? :shrug:
Remember he's the 2nd judge to ponder the case, the first was replaced for his endless pondering. The supervising justice will eventually get tired of the 2nd judge's endless stalling but will also be well aware that switching judges yet again will add still more years of catch up pondering before the new judge renders a verdict, so he'll let the current judge stall another 2-3 years in the hope that he eventually reaches a verdict before giving up and replacing him with a 3rd judge. That judge will of course need 2-3 years of catch-up pondering before rendering a verdict in favor of the government.