PDA

View Full Version : Remi 1100 Tac2 vs Benelli M1S90

savasyn
12-31-2007, 9:37 PM
Ignoring price for the moment, is there an advantage one way or the other between the Remington 1100 Tac2 and the Benelli M1S90(pistol grip version).

The Remi has the mag extension but the Benelli has better sights. Can rifle sights or ghost rings be fitted to the 1100?

Thanks!

Ech0Sierra
12-31-2007, 9:45 PM
http://xssights.com/store/shotgun.html

ar15barrels
12-31-2007, 11:56 PM
Benelli holds more rounds in a shorter package due to ghost loading.
Benelli cycles faster (not a real advantage, but a fact)
Benelli allows for selective loading by simply racking open the bolt and dropping another cartridge into the chamber
(you can't do this on a remington as it will feed the next cartridge automatically and you have to clear that before you can load something else)

90%+ of the shotguns on the racks at major 3gun competetions are benelli.

krby
01-01-2008, 5:59 AM
The big difference is the 1100 is gas operated vs. the Benelli being recoil operated. The Benelli is cleaner, I just sorta swab it down more like a break action. Many people say they have problems with the Benelli cycling light loads. I've never had a problem with mine, but the only light loads I've fired through it are the reduced recoil slugs and light target birdshot loads.

Do they still sell the M1S90 new? IIRC, Benelli calls it the M2 now with the M1 being the 20ga version. You get an an M2 Field or an M2 tactical (magazine extension, 18.5" barrel) and there are a few stock options on either.

randy
01-01-2008, 11:44 AM
The Benelli will run when the Remmy is down for repairs and maintenance. Maintenance on a Benelli is cleaning. Maintenance on a Remmy is replacing parts.

Benellis don't break at all compared to a Remmy. The best 3 gun shooters shoot Benelli.

The site thing doesn't matter. Learn to shoot your gun and the ghost ring rifle site thing will just slow you down.

Benellis have a chrome lined barrel if that means anything.

Sgt Raven
01-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The Benelli will run when the Remmy is down for repairs and maintenance. Maintenance on a Benelli is cleaning. Maintenance on a Remmy is replacing parts.

Benellis don't break at all compared to a Remmy. The best 3 gun shooters shoot Benelli.
The site thing doesn't matter. Learn to shoot your gun and the ghost ring rifle site thing will just slow you down.

Benellis have a chrome lined barrel if that means anything.

The really, really fast shooters are pulling the trigger faster than the Benelli can cycle, that’s one reason some of them switched to the Winchester/Browning ‘cause they cycle faster than the Benelli.

3GunFunShooter
01-01-2008, 1:31 PM
Remington supports the 3 gun sport.
Benelli?

savasyn
01-01-2008, 4:05 PM
Cool. That saves me from having to go looking for a new shotgun, then. I have a pistol gripped M1S90 with the short mag tube. I see Benelli has a new ComfortTech stock available for the M2s. Will that fit on the M1? I'd rather have the straight stock and long mag tube for competition use so I can avoid any 922r issues.

I'll have to do more testing with mine, as mentioned by someone above, it has failed to cycle with birdshot before. It's mostly had buck through it since then, so I'll have to give it another try.

Any idea where I can get the straight stock? Benelli doesn't list it as a separate item for sale on their site.

Thanks!

Timberland
01-01-2008, 4:32 PM
How much should used m1s90 go for used?

randy
01-01-2008, 5:09 PM
SGT I shoot with the best 3 gun shooter in the world he shoots a Benelli. Can it be out run sure. If you are out running it you aren't hitting them anyway.

Look at the top 15 in the results at a big match. Benelli is at the top. But I've seen more people go away from Browning Golds, Winchester Super X, and Remingtons to Benelli than the other way. Are people shooting other brands sure.

I don't think anybody at the top is shooting a stock gun either.

In stock configuration, with a mag tube added the Benelli is the best. If you want to shoot something else go ahead.

The comfort tech stock might fit but it won't fit correctly. The receiver has been redesigned on the m2 where it meets up with the stock.

http://www.uspsa2.org/match_results/match_disp.php?match=20071216&club=X3 At least 5 of the top 10 were using Benellis. It was a small turnout but at least 7 shooters in the match were shooting Benellis

krby
01-01-2008, 7:19 PM
I see Benelli has a new ComfortTech stock available for the M2s. Will that fit on the M1?

No, the M1 and M2 receivers are slightly different. It might "work", but it won't fit.

I'll have to do more testing with mine, as mentioned by someone above, it has failed to cycle with birdshot before. It's mostly had buck through it since then, so I'll have to give it another try.

I hope you didn't get that from my post. I have shot a lot of 7.5 and 8 birdshot (both regular and "light target loads") as well as buckshot and slugs (reduced recoil and regular). What I meant was: "I've never had a problem with my M2 cycling, but I haven't tried a huge variety of loads."

Any idea where I can get the straight stock? Benelli doesn't list it as a separate item for sale on their site.
Maybe ask around on the benelliusa.com forums (http://www.benelliusa.com/forum/). Or, get friendly with a dealer. They can order anything and may show you the parts list. I got a longer black M2 barrel (longer, has a bead) for mine, not something listed in the catalog. Be prepared to wait many months.

Sleepnosis
01-01-2008, 8:04 PM
I loved mine before I attached a recoil pad and now that its done I love it even more. It's a sweet rig that has fired every time I pull the trigger. If and when it becomes incapable of cycling light loads, I will send it out to TSS and have them lighten the bolt carrier and smooth everything out.

The maintenance factor for me is very important, because I don't have just one firearm to clean and inspect every time I use it. Though as someone else said "I do break down and clean it when I feel guilty".

I run a PG because thats what I'm used to. I wouldn't mind picking up another one later on either. When I was looking for my second, I found the tactical and sporting styles similar in price. I passed over a lot of sporting with the longer vent ribbed barrels, and straight stocks.

PLINK
01-01-2008, 8:37 PM
How much should used m1s90 go for used?

I just bought a very good condition M1S90 field with a 28 inch barrel, 5 chokes, tool and no case for $675 plus tax and DROS. While this may or may not be a good deal, it was cheaper than buying a new M2 field w/ 24 inch barrel that I originally wanted. I wanted a SG that I can use for hunting and USPSA. Now I just have to find a mag extention and shorter barrel.

gose
01-02-2008, 9:48 PM
Cool. That saves me from having to go looking for a new shotgun, then. I have a pistol gripped M1S90 with the short mag tube. I see Benelli has a new ComfortTech stock available for the M2s. Will that fit on the M1? I'd rather have the straight stock and long mag tube for competition use so I can avoid any 922r issues.
Thanks!

You can't avoid 922(r) by using a straight stock. As soon as you go over 5 rounds in capacity, you hit 922(r).

savasyn
01-03-2008, 9:34 AM
You can't avoid 922(r) by using a straight stock. As soon as you go over 5 rounds in capacity, you hit 922(r).

That's interesting. I was under the impression that they still imported straight stocked Benellis with the long tube.

I guess I'll be getting the American made tube after all.

922r has got to be the stupidest and most annoying of all the stupid and annoying laws they've ever made!

gose
01-03-2008, 9:45 AM
That's interesting. I was under the impression that they still imported straight stocked Benellis with the long tube.
I guess I'll be getting the American made tube after all.
922r has got to be the stupidest and most annoying of all the stupid and annoying laws they've ever made!

It doesn't matter if you get an American or foreign extension tube, since the extension doesn't count as a part. You would have to replace the whole tube, not just the extension, to be able to deduct a foreign part. Even after doing that, you would still have 11 parts (if my memory serves me right) with the straight stock, so you would have to replace at least one more part to be compliant. The follower is probably the easiest thing to get and it only costs a few $.

savasyn
01-03-2008, 10:00 AM
Does anyone in the US make a full mag tube? I've only seen extensions, all of which come with followers.

ar15barrels
01-03-2008, 10:04 AM
Where can I see which specific benelli parts apply to the 922(r) list?
Please take my list below and bold the items that are counted against a benelli.

(1) Receiver.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions.
(4) Mounting blocks, trunion.
(5) Muzzle attachments.
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carrier.
(8) Operating rod.
(9) Gas pistons.
(10) Trigger housing.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstock.
(16) Pistol Grip.
(17) Forearms, handguards.
(18) Magazine bodies.
(19) Followers.
(20) Floorplates.

savasyn
01-03-2008, 10:14 AM
Here's a copy of the letter from the DOJ regarding this exact gun. The list you are looking for is in the 2nd part. Note that he lists the pistol grip as a separate part but then goes on to say that it only counts as one part with the stock. Now that I read it closer, it doesn't matter if it has the straight stock or pistol grip as he says at the bottom that the pistol grip stock is counted as one part. Nice!:

http://www.stuff2see.net/images3/benelli_M1_letter_1.jpg

http://www.stuff2see.net/images3/benelli_M1_letter_2.jpg

ar15barrels
01-03-2008, 10:54 AM
So 10 imported parts are acceptable.

(1) Receiver.
(2) Barrels.
(3) Barrel extensions.
(4) Mounting blocks, trunion.
(5) Muzzle attachments.
(6) Bolts.
(7) Bolt carrier.
(8) Operating rod.
(9) Gas pistons.
(10) Trigger housing.
(11) Triggers.
(12) Hammers.
(13) Sears.
(14) Disconnectors.
(15) Buttstock.
(16) Pistol Grip. does not count if part of stock
(17) Forearms, handguards.
(18) Magazine bodies.
(19) Followers.
(20) Floorplates.

Replace the follower and install a Surefire forend and you have 10 imported pieces.
The real question is how did Benelli import and sell them with full length magazine tubes?

savasyn
01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I was trying to avoid the SureFire forearm for cost reasons, but in the end, it would be good to have anyway.

gose
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Replace the follower and install a Surefire forend and you have 10 imported pieces.
The real question is how did Benelli import and sell them with full length magazine tubes?

Don't know exactly what happened, but I guess that someone at ATF woke up one morning and decided that Benellis weren't sporting anymore and told them to stop importing them with 5+ tubes. Unfortunately that's all that's needed :(

There is hope though :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75515

ar15barrels
01-03-2008, 12:42 PM
There is hope though :)

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75515

I remember that thread.
Are the M4 fire control parts common to the M1 as well?

ar15barrels
01-03-2008, 12:47 PM
Don't know exactly what happened, but I guess that someone at ATF woke up one morning and decided that Benellis weren't sporting anymore and told them to stop importing them with 5+ tubes.

Perhaps they consider the magazine extension to be THE 922(r) part and not the actual magazine tube as the magazine tube is part of the receiver?
If so, then you can install any size magazine extension as long as it's US made.
By NOT using the foreign made Benelli magazine extension tube, you would be eliminating a 922(r) part. ;)

Even so, the shotguns STILL exceed the 10 piece count, but they were probably exempted due to the "sporting uses" clause.
Going over 5 rounds capacity makes you not able to use "sporting uses" clause to import and also seems to trigger 922(r). :confused: