PDA

View Full Version : my scout hunting rifle (rare setup)

kielbasavw
08-10-2013, 9:40 PM
I recently got ahold of very rare leupold scope and mount for my winchester 94.
The scope is a m8-2x which is currently listed as a handgun scope, but back in the 70s it was originally a true IER scope, made to go with leupolds "detacho" base and rings.

Base attaches to rear sight dove tail and you need to drill and tap rear barrel band for 1 tiny mounting screw. It also has a built in rear iron sight if the scope ever fails, quick detacho removal allows to use iron sights.

I have never shot a gun with any kind of scope, the scout setup kind of intrigued me, especially when I found out about leupoldleupold vintage setup.

Scope has standard thin crosshairs, eye relief of around 9-10inches. When I look through the scope sometimes I have a hard time keep the picture in the scope, I have to keep moving my head around to find it again, is this a common issue with scout setups? I do know I should use a cheek rest as I have to keep my face sorta lifted off the stock to see the image through scope.

Here she is (still need to mount to the barrel band and looking for a vintage sling to go with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130807_112722_zps5fe1c507.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130801_161737_zps1c100bd1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130801_161706_zps5ec49315.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/ezkiel/20130801_162054_zps1b5e7a70.jpg

kielbasavw
08-11-2013, 12:12 AM
Maybe this should be in the scope section? Curious if anyone know about this leupold setup, and about scout setups in general. Kinda annoying to lose sight picture and scope turns black. Is this because of needing to keep my check semi liftes off the stock? Or is there something else to it

anti
08-11-2013, 1:10 AM
I looooove vintage setups. That is freaking awesome, dude. And I've always liked leather stock saddles.

eviioiive
08-11-2013, 1:28 AM
Tighten those rings

kielbasavw
08-11-2013, 10:02 AM
I made that leather butt cover myself postes a thread about it along with a few other pieces I made recently, thanks.

As far as the rings go, I'm not even finishes attaching the mount, need to drill and tap the rear barrel band.

Any idea what I should be tightening these screws too? These rings are a quite different then what I've seen

Fjold
08-11-2013, 4:53 PM
The Winchester was designed during the blackpowder days when you shot with your head held more upright to keep you eyes back from all the black powder flash from pans and caps. Even though the 94 was designed for cartridge ammunition it usually took 20 or more years for the stocks to change.

It's going to be hard to use a scope on a 94 unless you get used to more of a chin mount on the stock.

Thorax
08-11-2013, 5:08 PM
Leupold made, and continues to make LER and EER scopes (long eye relief and extended eye relief).

They are common as ants in the northern states like Michigan and Maine.

I have a newer Leupy M8 4x LER on my 44mag ....Uhh, pistol, super Blackhawk.

kielbasavw
08-11-2013, 5:58 PM
The m8 2x currently is listed as a pistol scope with 18 eye relief. Back in 60s 70s the scope was originally a 9in relief. Late 70s early 80s sometime they discontinued the ier setup, and turned it into a handgun scope.

Thorax
08-11-2013, 6:34 PM
That is the difference between long eye relief and extended eye relief, they still make both.

kielbasavw
08-11-2013, 8:34 PM
Find a current production m8 2x intermediate eye relief leupold and post a link here.

Ler and eer are are used by different manufacturers. Leupold makes standard eye relief, intermediate (ier), and extended (eer). Other companies use long eye relief (ler).

As far as I know... I did my research on this current setup I have extensively, in order to find it.

ar15barrels
08-11-2013, 9:25 PM
Curious if anyone know about this leupold setup, and about scout setups in general. Kinda annoying to lose sight picture and scope turns black. Is this because of needing to keep my check semi liftes off the stock? Or is there something else to it

They call this a scopes "eye box".
When your eye gets out of the "box", you won't see an image through it.
The farther a scope is from your eye, the generally smaller the eyebox will seem to be.

You need to put some cheekrest/spacer on the stock so you can get a solid cheekrest that puts your eye in the eyebox.

ar15barrels
08-11-2013, 9:26 PM
Any idea what I should be tightening these screws too?

20-25 inch-lbs for 6-48 screws with at least 5 full threads of engagement.

ar15barrels
08-11-2013, 9:29 PM
Find a current production m8 2x intermediate eye relief leupold and post a link here.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/fixed-power-riflescopes/fx-ii-scout-ier-2-5x28mm/#tab-specs

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 11:56 AM
That's a completely different model. And also different power and objective. Nice try though.

Thanks for the info about eye box and torque. Scopes are very new to me and don't know all the terminology yet.

Thorax
08-12-2013, 4:08 PM
It's the same scope.

Unless you expect a manufacturer to never make upgrades for 50 years.....oh wait, your user icon is a type 1 VW.....

VX = variable power
FX = fixed power

M8 = a very common scout scope from the 50-60s
Google up scout scope, click images.

This took me 5 seconds.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465010

ar15barrels
08-12-2013, 4:46 PM
That's a completely different model. And also different power and objective. Nice try though.

VW changed the US market beetle significantly in 1998, but it's still called the beetle...

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 5:20 PM
Hmm, m8 2x20: 2x power, 20mm objective.
Fxii 2.5x28 2.5x power, 28mm objective.

That's 2 different models and two different specs. They are not the same. That's like saying a ford mustang and a chevy corvair are the same.

That vw comment does not make any sense. They changed the car completely when they came out with the new beetle, still had the same name. That's like leupolds m8 2x20 ier in the 70s vs leupolds changing of the m8 2x20 in the 80s into a eer.... same model, changed few specs. Just like first second third gen chevy blah blah..

When the model name is changed and specs are completely different. Its not the same. Period.

By the way, vw type one, vs vw new beetle are completely different models. They continued the type one in Mexico all they up till 2005. Completely different car. And official model was a type 1 back in the day. They were nick named bugs and beetles.

Just like a vw thing is really a type 131, bay window bus type 2, notch back square back fast back type 3.

I don't understand your fairy tale logic..

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 5:30 PM
That link never metioned vintage m8 ier scope.. talked about new fxii ier scope briefly.... I never metioned that ier scopes are uncommon or rare. The 60s m8 ier scope is what's uncommon

Thorax
08-12-2013, 5:46 PM
VW type 1
1935'ish till about 1980'ish.
Same junk air cooled, split cased, emission belching, garbage.

Never a single significant change in those years....stagnation....stick in the mud....lack of creativity.

Do you expect every company to have that same frame of mind ?

Ah, yes, it seems you do.

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 5:53 PM
Not the same what so ever. They changed things constantly year after year. So sorry your too nieve to notice.

And if you read m8 and fx are two different model numbers woth their own set of specs. Just like a ford mustang and ford falcon... both cars but completely different.Now stop blasting nonsense because this thread is about the vintage leupold detacho setup on my rifle. Not cars. That you apparently don't know much about.

Thorax
08-12-2013, 5:56 PM
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7801015/FS_Vintage_Leupold_M8_2x_Scope

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=leupold%20m8%202x&clk_rvr_id=509701255428&adpos=3t3&crlp=23405258372_2416792&MT_ID=70&tt_encode=raw&keyword=leupold+m8+2x&geo_id=10232&adgroup_id=5276847332&crdt=0

And....
Is your Google-fu really that weak ?

Thorax
08-12-2013, 5:58 PM
Not the same what so ever. They changed things constantly year after year. So sorry your too nieve to notice.

And if you read m8 and fx are two different model numbers woth their own set of specs. Just like a ford mustang and ford falcon... both cars but completely different.Now stop blasting nonsense because this thread is about the vintage leupold detacho setup on my rifle. Not cars. That you apparently don't know much about.

The word is NAIVE swifty....

And exactly what did they change ?
Ohhhh single to dual port....flippin wow.

Same thing with different paint is the same thing.

ar15barrels
08-12-2013, 6:36 PM
And exactly what did they change ?
Ohhhh single to dual port....flippin wow.

Same thing with different paint is the same thing.

There were little changes in trim, bumpers, lights, hubcaps etc every couple years.
66 to 68 were the big changes, dual ports, IRS, 12v electrical systems, dual circuit brakes, bubble windshields, plastic dashes etc.
You have to be a vw geek to know them all, but it's easy to spot the differences from year to year if you know what to look for...

Thorax
08-12-2013, 6:51 PM
Believe me I know more than most what the differences are.

It remains though, that at least 90% of the vehicle was unchanged from 1935 Hitler design peoples wagon fulkenwagen.

It also remains that an old Leupold M8 is not rare.

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 6:52 PM
There are huge obvious body changes as well. But again, this thread is not about volkswagens...

And what do those links prove? That you found some? Congrats so did I.... I asked of anyone else knows about these scopes not how truely rare they are. I can find you lots of rare things...

I can also tell you if the m8 2x has all numerical serial # its a true ier scope.... like I said I did my research I'm glad you are doing yours...

jasonnorcal
08-12-2013, 7:58 PM
Its the same scope, just the newer model. Still ier. Just because the exit pupil is slightly bigger and it has a tiny bit more magnification you act like it's a completely different scope. You already answered your own question, you need a cheek rest cuz old scopes don't have a very forgiving eye box. I bet the new 1 is better

kielbasavw
08-12-2013, 9:44 PM
That's like saying leupolds and burris scout scopes are the same just because they are both ier. They are not. Discontinued model vs a newer model. Not the same.

That's like the people saying hk45 is the same gun as the usp but just newer and better. Different model different specs different item.