PDA

View Full Version : Flying out of NY with a long-gun?

BaronW
12-31-2007, 10:39 AM
A friend of mine inherited a shotgun in NY (his grandfather passed on), and he'd like to bring it back with him when he flies home. What're the laws for New York? I'm not sure which airport he's flying out of.

Soldier415
12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Don't fly with it, UPS it to your destination. Less chance of it getting lost (or stolen by baggage handlers getting paid minimum wage). Especially around the holidays and with the big snowstorms going on right now, lotís of bags getting lost.

BaronW
12-31-2007, 3:26 PM
Oh, that hadn't occurred to us. Thanks.

cartman
12-31-2007, 6:04 PM
If your flying out of nyc I know its illegal to travel in the city limits with a gun. People have been arrested at the airports checking in guns. But I don't know if that means handguns or all guns. When I left Connecticut I drove all the way to Newark to be sure.

BaronW
12-31-2007, 6:10 PM
If your flying out of nyc I know its illegal to travel in the city limits with a gun. People have been arrested at the airports checking in guns. But I don't know if that means handguns or all guns. When I left Connecticut I drove all the way to Newark to be sure.

He assured me he's not going to fly out of NYC.

RAD-CDPII
12-31-2007, 6:11 PM
OK, is this related to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80601, I would think one post would be enough. You guys need to talk more.

BaronW
01-02-2008, 4:15 PM
OK, is this related to: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80601, I would think one post would be enough. You guys need to talk more.

yeah, that would be him. I wasn't expecting him to register here. Sorry!

Soldier415
01-02-2008, 4:22 PM
Oh, that hadn't occurred to us. Thanks.

I love it, guy asks for advice and then makes smart remarks when someone takes the time to try and help.

A real class act you are

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

BaronW
01-02-2008, 10:09 PM
I love it, guy asks for advice and then makes smart remarks when someone takes the time to try and help.

A real class act you are

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I was being sincere! It really hadn't occurred to either of us.

Soldier415
01-02-2008, 10:12 PM
I was being sincere! It really hadn't occurred to either of us.

My bad, I took it the wrong way. I read it while I was at work and in the middle of 4 things.

sorry bout that :D

In any case, is he the legal owner of the firearm already? If not, please disregard my advice of UPSing, as that would be illegal.

BaronW
01-02-2008, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I've talked to him more since posting this thread. Apparently the gun wasn't written to him in the will, so his grandmother is the legal owner. He's going to transfer it through Ade's.

Army
01-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Federal law allows you to transit through any state or municipality with firearms, regardless of state or local regulations.