PDA

View Full Version : Starbucks Appreciation Day

Zedrek
08-09-2013, 6:03 AM
Anyone else go to Starbucks today? I don't like coffee but I still went and got iced tea and pumpkin bread while sporting my Modern Musket hat.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/8/coffee-cup-in-hand-gun-in-holster/

heedless619
08-09-2013, 6:07 AM
Every day is Starbucks apperication day for
Me

fizux
08-09-2013, 6:17 AM
Since we can't OC here in the PRK, is there a suggested alternate method of tying today's purchase to sbux policy?

Empty holster, or just thanking the clerk after getting your coffee?

SURVIVOR619
08-09-2013, 6:22 AM
Since we can't OC here in the PRK, is there a suggested alternate method of tying today's purchase to sbux policy?

Wear as much NRA gear as you can!

.30-06
08-09-2013, 6:46 AM
I'm not much of a coffee drinker, but I'll make sure to stop in and get iced tea or something.

SanPedroShooter
08-09-2013, 7:13 AM
Wear as much NRA gear as you can!

Yup. Wear your NRA hat.

speedrrracer
08-09-2013, 7:13 AM
Just got home
Wore CalGuns t-shirt, ordered a pile of stuff. Wife is in heaven, points have been scored...

Zedrek
08-09-2013, 7:17 AM
It's funny. I went to the Facebook event for everyone going and the gun grabbers started getting into arguments with everyone else. When they couldn't make valid points they would just block you. Idiots.

mikenewgun87
08-09-2013, 7:23 AM
Thanks for more info!!! Dont even have to convince my wife to go to SB!!!

Hoooper
08-09-2013, 7:31 AM
David Ackert, a statespokesman for the Newtown Action Alliance - “It is disturbing to think that tomorrow night you and your children may be sitting in Starbucks when people carrying guns walk through the door.”

I wonder if people of his nature know that 41 states (according to wiki) are either shall issue or constitutional carry? Kind of entertaining that he is in New Hampshire where, you guessed it, there is probably somebody next to him and his children in starbucks carrying more than just one day a year, or night I guess since apparently for this guy night is the time to go to starbucks :confused:

Track Rat
08-09-2013, 7:49 AM
Wore my shirt while grabbing a coffee this morning. :)

http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p603/jdmquipas2/null_zpsb0c10cbb.jpg

USMC VET
08-09-2013, 7:53 AM
Awesome, didn't know about this as I don't partake in the social media. I'll hit it today though.

Barnstormer
08-09-2013, 8:47 AM

I bet you got some raised eyebrows with that shirt. Very funny.

Barnstormer
08-09-2013, 8:50 AM
David Ackert, a statespokesman for the Newtown Action Alliance - “It is disturbing to think that tomorrow night you and your children may be sitting in Starbucks when people carrying guns walk through the door.”

I wonder if people of his nature know that 41 states (according to wiki) are either shall issue or constitutional carry? Kind of entertaining that he is in New Hampshire where, you guessed it, there is probably somebody next to him and his children in starbucks carrying more than just one day a year, or night I guess since apparently for this guy night is the time to go to starbucks :confused:

I read the same article on FB this morning; you nailed this correctly.

1CavScout
08-09-2013, 9:00 AM
Hmmm, I will be in AZ later today. Might have to Tuck my shirt in and OC my Glock. Last time I was out there, the guy in front of me in line had a 1911 OC'd. :cool:

Rickrock1
08-09-2013, 9:10 AM
Excellent.

Thank you Starbucks.

.30-06
08-09-2013, 11:49 AM

THIS^^

FresnoRob
08-09-2013, 3:38 PM
Enjoying Starbucks right now before heading home.

OneFunGuy
08-10-2013, 11:30 AM
http://www.starbucks.com/blog/early-store-closure-in-newtown-connecticut/1264

chillincody
08-10-2013, 11:46 AM
I bet you got some raised eyebrows with that shirt. Very funny.

the SB workers always compliment my i love guns n coffee sweeter :D

wear pro gun clothes and pay with $2 bills :cool2:

pitbull30
08-10-2013, 11:53 AM
THIS^^

I think these need to be on my Xmas list to all of the people I know who go to Starbucks.

08-10-2013, 12:57 PM
from the same article:

Guns are banned in the company’s corporate headquarters in Seattle, and the chain bars employees from carrying guns, even in open carry states.

“These events are not endorsed by Starbucks. That said, our stores are gathering places for the communities we serve and we respect the diverse views of our costumers,” Starbucks spokesman Zach Hutson said in a phone interview. “We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve, abiding by laws that permit ‘open carry.’”

so they abide local open carry laws, but ban employees from the same law and don't endorse open carry events...

and their CEO is a strong supporter of Obama....

what's there to endorse starbucks over other businesses?? they are getting a free ride....

whlgun
08-10-2013, 1:08 PM
I normally don't drink starbucks but I am willing to support them on a day like today. Hopefully this is big enough for them to see the dollars in supporting us.

08-10-2013, 1:10 PM
I normally don't drink starbucks but I am willing to support them on a day like today. Hopefully this is big enough for them to see the dollars in supporting us.

so you are going to spend money on a business that ban guns for its employees, don't endorse open carry events and its CEO is an avid Obama supporter?

in hoping it will change its policy?

btw - they closed newtown store so no OC event can take place there...

whlgun
08-10-2013, 1:17 PM
from the same article:

Guns are banned in the company’s corporate headquarters in Seattle, and the chain bars employees from carrying guns, even in open carry states.

“These events are not endorsed by Starbucks. That said, our stores are gathering places for the communities we serve and we respect the diverse views of our costumers,” Starbucks spokesman Zach Hutson said in a phone interview. “We comply with local laws and statutes in the communities we serve, abiding by laws that permit ‘open carry.’”

so they abide local open carry laws, but ban employees from the same law and don't endorse open carry events...

and their CEO is a strong supporter of Obama....

what's there to endorse starbucks over other businesses?? they are getting a free ride....

How many corporations the size of Starbucks let employees carry firearms at work? Please think that through. The liability that would be involved with allowing that many 18 year old coffee makers to carry guns. This post is a joke.

OneFunGuy
08-10-2013, 2:36 PM
Did any of you guys giving two thumbs up to Starbucks, bother
to read my post number 19?

08-10-2013, 2:46 PM
How many corporations the size of Starbucks let employees carry firearms at work? Please think that through. The liability that would be involved with allowing that many 18 year old coffee makers to carry guns. This post is a joke.

yup, the joke is on people who believe starbucks is a pro-gun company and deserve pro-gun support...

whlgun
08-10-2013, 2:52 PM
Did any of you guys giving two thumbs up to Starbucks, bother
to read my post number 19?

Do you not support any of the businesses that post Newtown acted out of fear and came out against guns if only for a minute?

In the grand scheme of things having a company as large as Starbucks not crumble on open carry on a large scale is a good thing. They could just as easy join the band wagon and tell us to pound sand and it probably won't affect there profits at all.

sharxbyte
08-10-2013, 3:04 PM

or.. for those of us fortunate enough to be owners of a special something, we could conceal and wear an empty holster on the outside :):rolleyes:

johnthomas
08-10-2013, 3:11 PM
I love coffee and guns. I don't like starbucks coffee.

dustoff31
08-11-2013, 6:06 AM
Do you not support any of the businesses that post Newtown acted out of fear and came out against guns if only for a minute?

In the grand scheme of things having a company as large as Starbucks not crumble on open carry on a large scale is a good thing. They could just as easy join the band wagon and tell us to pound sand and it probably won't affect there profits at all.

You mean, Like Starbucks?

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/08/10/newtown-starbucks-closes-before-gathering-of-gun-rights-supporters/

NEWTOWN, Conn. (CBS Connecticut/AP) — Starbucks says a Newtown, Conn., store closed early Friday before advocates on both sides of the gun issue planned to gather there.

Starbucks vice president Chris Carr said on the company website that the decision was made out of respect to the community, where 20 school children and six educators were slain in December.

Starbucks has said repeatedly that they take no particular position on guns either for or against, they merely follow local laws.

So by that standard everyone should be supporting any business in CA who bans guns, as that is following local law (generally).

whlgun
08-11-2013, 9:58 AM
You mean, Like Starbucks? Yes

http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2013/08/10/newtown-starbucks-closes-before-gathering-of-gun-rights-supporters/

Starbucks has said repeatedly that they take no particular position on guns either for or against, they merely follow local laws.

Yes and hundreds of companies choose to not follow local law and do not allow firearms in there stores. What is your point? They are choosing to ignore the anti gun groups that want them to not allow people to carry in there stores. That is a win

So by that standard everyone should be supporting any business in CA who bans guns, as that is following local law (generally) Did Starbucks advocate to ban guns in CA? What local law bans guns? .

My answers are in bold.

dustoff31
08-11-2013, 10:24 AM
My answers are in bold.

They are choosing to ignore the anti gun groups that want them to not allow people to carry in there stores. That is a win

Except when they don't. i.e., their corporate headquarters and Newtown, CT on Starbucks appreciation day.

Did Starbucks advocate to ban guns in CA? What local law bans guns? .

Did they advocate not to? Allright, state laws then.

Look, Starbucks is at best neutral on the matter of guns. They have said so. If you regard that as something to celebrate, good for you.

kielbasavw
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
My lady has been working at starbucks for 5 years, and has never heard any pro gun talk from it

problemchild
09-18-2013, 7:41 AM
Starbucks has banned all guns inside stores as of yesterday. The CEO is ANTI-GUN! I will never drink another cup of their coffee.

Let them know you will no longer purchase their coffee.

Mail

Starbucks Customer Relations
PO Box 3717
Seattle, WA 98124-3717
Phone

800-Starbuc (800-782-7282) ext2 <---CALL NOW AND VOICE YOUR OPINION!
Mon – Fri 5 AM – 8 PM (PST)
Sat 6 AM – 4 PM (PST)

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Starbucks-says-guns-unwelcome-though-not-banned-4823265.php

NEW YORK (AP) — Starbucks says guns are no longer welcome in its cafes, though it is stopping short of an outright ban on firearms.
The fine line that the retailer is walking to address the concerns of both gun rights and gun control advocates reflects how heated the issue has become, particularly in light of recent mass shootings.
Most states allow people to openly carry licensed guns in some way and many companies do not have policies banning firearms in their stores. But Starbucks has become a target for gun control advocates, in part because of its liberal-leaning corporate image. In turn, gun rights advocates have been galvanized by the company's decision to defer to local laws.
In an interview, CEO Howard Schultz (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fcrime&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Howard+Schultz%22) said the decision to ask customers to stop bringing guns into stores came as a result of the growing frequency of "Starbucks Appreciation Days" in recent months, in which gun rights advocates turn up at Starbucks cafes with firearms.
Last month, for example, the company closed down a store in Newtown, Conn., for the day after learning that gun rights advocates planned to hold a "Starbucks Appreciation Day" at the location. The store was near the school where a gunman killed 20 children and six women.
Schultz said the events mischaracterized the company's stance on the issue and the demonstrations "have made our customers uncomfortable."
Schultz hopes people will honor the request not to bring in guns but says the company will nevertheless serve those who do.
"We will not ask you to leave," he said.
The Seattle-based company plans to buy ad space in major national newspapers including The New York Times (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fcrime&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22New+York+Times%22), Wall Street Journal (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fcrime&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Wall+Street+Journal%22), Washington Post and USA Today (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fcrime&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22USA+Today%22) on Thursday to run an open letter from Schultz explaining the decision. The letter points to recent activities by both gun rights and gun control advocates at its stores, saying that it has been "thrust unwillingly" into the middle of the national debate over firearms.
As for the "Starbucks Appreciation Days" being staged by gun rights advocates, it stresses: "To be clear: we do not want these events in our stores."
But the letter notes that Starbucks is standing by its position that the matter should ultimately be left to lawmakers. Schultz also said he doesn't want to put workers in the position of having to confront armed customers by banning guns.
The AP was provided a picture of a memo to Starbucks employees on Tuesday. Partners are instructed not to confront customers or ask them to leave solely for carrying a weapon.
Several companies do not allow firearms in their stores, however, apparently with little trouble. Representatives for Peet's Coffee & Tea and Whole Foods, for example, said there haven't been any problems with enforcing their gun bans.
Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, which was formed the day after the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, has been organizing "Skip Starbucks Saturdays" to urge the coffee company to ban guns at its stores. Participants take photos of themselves at competitors such as Peet's that do not allow guns and post them online.
Shannon Watts (http://www.sfgate.com/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fcrime&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Shannon+Watts%22), founder of the gun reform group, noted that Starbucks has taken strong stances on other issues. Earlier this year, for example, the company banned smoking within 25 feet of its stores, wherever its leases allowed. The idea was to extend its no-smoking policy to the outdoor seating areas.
"There's a big difference in the connotation of someone holding a gun and someone holding a cigarette," Schultz said.
In the meantime, Starbucks has become a symbol for advocates of gun rights. A website now even sells products bearing an altered version of the Starbucks logo, with the siren holding up a gun in each hand with the words "I Love Guns & Coffee."
___

otteray
09-18-2013, 7:53 AM
How is not confronting or asking them to leave, a ban?

pontiacpratt
09-18-2013, 7:54 AM

Yep, this.

mavericksun
09-18-2013, 10:34 AM

They basically said no weapons in their stores. They are not going to confront anyone or ask them to leave because they don't want to cause more liability for themselves if something goes wrong during a confrontation. Plus if someone is paying for their items, they are not going to kick out money. If someone else is not comfortable with an OC person and makes a fuss, you can bet that the OC person will be asked to leave. If they make a fuss, then they will call the cops. It's a ban but not in that many words. Their own memo stated clearly their position which is "they do not allow weapons in their stores".

bombadillo
09-18-2013, 10:39 AM
They are asking people in a gentlemanly fashion NOT to bring guns into their locations. I will honor that by purchasing my coffee elsewhere. I really don't like their burned shots, or their bitter coffee regardless. No loss for me whatsoever. Hopefully gun owners will ban together and boycott them as a company though.

bruce381
09-18-2013, 11:06 AM
I buy my coffee at 7-11 anyway cannot stand the lines and all the BS type coffees they make anyway

igorts
09-18-2013, 11:17 AM
and you think 7-11 makes coffee?

otteray
09-18-2013, 2:06 PM
When I complained to an aquaintance of mine that I'd never be able to afford a certain AR 15 that I really like, he responded with, " Just quite spending 5 bucks a day at Starbucks and you'll have the dough for that firearm in nothing flat!"
He was correct; that AR is in my gun collection now! :)