PDA

View Full Version : Why hollow point ammo is not allowed in indoor range?

SIGfreak
12-30-2007, 12:22 AM
Any one knows why hollow point ammos are not allowed in indoor ranges? Is there any indoor range in LA area allowing hollow point? For practice for sure every one using FMJ as they are much cheaper, but every now and then I want try couple of defense ammo to see how it cycle in my pistol but most ranges seems don't allow.

jumbopanda
12-30-2007, 12:30 AM
I have never heard of this. Which range(s) are you talking about that don't allow HP ammo?

mothergreen
12-30-2007, 12:39 AM
tears up their backstop? bits of the expanding jacket hitting the hanger accidentally and coming back at you? heck I've had a piece of the jacket from a fmj come back at me at an indoor range.

CSACANNONEER
12-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Agoura Target Range allows HPs on half the range. We have two different types of backstops. You can shoot HPs only on the side with rubber. If you come in to do it, please tell whoever is working the counter so that they'll know what lane to put you on.

SIGfreak
12-30-2007, 12:51 AM
I have never heard of this. Which range(s) are you talking about that don't allow HP ammo?

One of them is LA gun club, I belive most of indoors won;t allow you, here is from LA gun club:

"No steel jacket, brass jacket, semi jacketed, exposed lead, soft or hollow point bullets allowed. Full metal jacket only!!"

blkA4alb
12-30-2007, 12:58 AM
I've never heard of this. At Bullseye we allow HPs no problem.

And mothergreen, ricochets and returning flak is part of the business :p . It's pretty common to catch some pieces of bullets coming back at you.

SIGfreak
12-30-2007, 1:09 AM

And mothergreen, ricochets and returning flak is part of the business :p . It's pretty common to catch some pieces of bullets coming back at you.

Where is Bulleyes? My question was for range in LA area - some other areas they even allow you to shoot a canon if you can pass it through their door :D

mothergreen
12-30-2007, 1:41 AM

yep i know, it was just my rational for why some ranges won't allow you to fire jhp's at steel. the othe reason was cuz they are no good for the backstops.

Blue
12-30-2007, 1:46 AM
Weird. Local indoor range here claims that their backstop can take a 50BMG round. They don't allow centerfire rifle because the ceilings aren't rated for anything near that, but I'd hate to be in there when one of those goes off!

mothergreen
12-30-2007, 1:51 AM
:eek: thats one hell of an indoor range.

hypertex
12-30-2007, 6:58 AM
At the indoor range in Torrance, I was told that certain ammo makes the backstops resonate(or something) and the plates work loose faster. This would cause them to perform more frequent maintenance.

Go figure...

huna koa
12-30-2007, 7:11 AM
OC Indoor Shooting Range in Brea and Prado Olympic Shooting Park in Chino....be safe be aware and practice like you mean it; ESPECIALLY WITH THOSE HOLLOW POINTS!!!!

What Just Happened?
12-30-2007, 8:00 AM
I know that at the Firing Line, you're only allowed to shoot either FMJ or all lead rounds.

M. Sage
12-30-2007, 9:24 AM
tears up their backstop? bits of the expanding jacket hitting the hanger accidentally and coming back at you? heck I've had a piece of the jacket from a fmj come back at me at an indoor range.

I've been hit by a piece of jacket from an FMJ at an outdoor range. I was shooting a Sig 226 at a plate rack with 9mm Winchester White Box. IMO, JHP on steel should be just as safe...

CSACANNONEER
12-30-2007, 11:57 AM
At the indoor range in Torrance, I was told that certain ammo makes the backstops resonate(or something) and the plates work loose faster. This would cause them to perform more frequent maintenance.

Go figure...

GSBS! 58 other range owners might have different opinions.

Sheldon
12-30-2007, 1:11 PM
I would have thought the reason would be jacket splatter. I can't believe a hollowpoint is going to do more damage to a backstop than a FMJ bullet!! I hate the indoor ranges that don't allow lead bullets since that's pretty much all I reload.

virulosity
12-30-2007, 6:04 PM
I have talked with the rangemaster at OC indoor range about this (they recently switched to rubber backstop so this is no longer an issue) and he said that they ban JHPs because when they bounce back at you (which does happen with the solid backstops) they tend to have sharp edges which are more likely to cut/hurt you. Makes sense if you can make sense of my long run-on sentence.

hypertex
12-31-2007, 7:12 AM
GSBS! 58 other range owners might have different opinions.

This is what I was told as to except me from firing my 5.7x28 pistol. The story was that the bolts/rivets that hold the backstop plates would work loose.
Time to call in the Mythbusters (dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html)!

kermit315
12-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Shooters Paradise doesnt allow hollowpoints either

CSACANNONEER
12-31-2007, 10:36 AM
This is what I was told as to except me from firing my 5.7x28 pistol. The story was that the bolts/rivets that hold the backstop plates would work loose.
Time to call in the Mythbusters (dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html)!

As someone with an engineering degree from Cal Poly, I have to laugh at this. But, it is their bussiness and I truely believe that they should be able to run it anyway they like. Their reasoning is flawwed though.

randy
12-31-2007, 10:41 AM
The guy in the know on this is Bear308. HP rounds are designed to open up and the jacket can seperate from the core when it hits something.

If you hit a metal hanger at 21 feet there's a real good chance of it comming apart and hitting someone on the line.

bear308
12-31-2007, 11:10 AM
If you hit anything hard with a JHP, most not all and not always, the jacket can separate and ricochete. At most outdoor ranges the only hard stuff is 15 or more yards away, indoor ranges can't contol that as well. The other thing is that in an indoor range the fact that it's an enclosed room and funnels any ricochetes back toward the shooters. The goal is obviously to hove nothing come back to the shooters at any point in time. We have found that Silvertips (winchester) and Gold Dots (Speer) don't have the issue with jacket separation, and we do allow those.

Greg-Dawg
12-31-2007, 6:18 PM
If you hit anything hard with a JHP, most not all and not always, the jacket can separate and ricochete.

Yup. My buddy with a new Glock .45GAP decided to shoot at metal target plates 7-15 yards with JHP. After a couple of shots, I notice something red next to his left leg. Shrapnel from the JHP ricochete back and gave a nice slice close to his left knee.

Also...

THEIR range, THIER rules.

NRAhighpowershooter
12-31-2007, 6:33 PM
Yup. My buddy with a new Glock .45GAP decided to shoot at metal target plates 7-15 yards with JHP.
WAYYY too close for plates with JHP's!! 20yds minmum for lead!

Greg-Dawg
12-31-2007, 6:41 PM
WAYYY too close for plates with JHP's!! 20yds minmum for lead!

Tell me about it. That's why I don't hang out with him anymore. Anyways, most indoor range backstop distances are way less than 20 yards.
:eek:

Now you know why indoor ranges don't allow them.

Splinter
01-03-2008, 12:46 AM
As someone with an engineering degree from Cal Poly, I have to laugh at this. But, it is their bussiness and I truely believe that they should be able to run it anyway they like. Their reasoning is flawwed though.

Well, it is possible that a different force exerted by the fragments that could break free from a HP round (lower mass) could cause a different effect on the resonance of the plates. And if said resonance caused the perfect frequency, which in turn losened the screws.... OK I will stop, but maybe there is a possibility?