PDA

View Full Version : SLOSA and OLLs

valleyrat
12-29-2007, 7:21 PM
Ill be in Pismo Beach for a couple days and was thinking about making a trip to SLOSA on Monday. Ill have my Finn M91 but it would be cool to shoot my OLL AK too, if I am amongst friends :)

bluestaterebel
12-29-2007, 7:32 PM
what is slosa?

Ford8N
12-29-2007, 7:39 PM
Ill be in Pismo Beach for a couple days and was thinking about making a trip to SLOSA on Monday. Ill have my Finn M91 but it would be cool to shoot my OLL AK too, if I am amongst friends :)

It is encouraged. :gunsmilie:

Boomer1961
12-29-2007, 9:59 PM
what is slosa?
San Luis Obispo Sportsmen's Association (http://www.slosa.org/)

Real close to Pismo Beach

Army
12-29-2007, 11:16 PM
As a SLOSA RSO, and a club Life Member (when I'm not here in Iraq), I encourage you to bring your OLL's and AK's to the range. Jeff works on Monday, he's retired Army and, like me, a small arms repairman with well over 20 years exprience.

$10 for non-members to shoot all day. Unless you bring your own, fresh targets are $.25 each (we have multiple choices). There is no ammo for sale, and no refreshments except for a $.75 soda machine (but has water too). We do not care if you want to bring a lunch, we have a seperate lounge to relax in relative quiet, or a picnic bench outside if it's sunny and warm. Restrooms are open to all. We have LOTS of steel out to nearly 500yds, and can hang paper out to 300yds. Take pics or video and tell your friends!

We only ask that armor piercing ammo is not used. We don't care about steel cases or jackets, we just want our steel plates to last longer:D

Tell "Jeffro" that Dave said 'Hello'!

bluestaterebel
12-30-2007, 12:01 AM
San Luis Obispo Sportsmen's Association (http://www.slosa.org/)

Real close to Pismo Beach

Oh, thanks for the info,,,had never heard of it.

valleyrat
12-30-2007, 8:44 AM
That sounds great! I have yet to work up the courage to shoot my romy/NDS3 at a public range, perhaps now is the time.

As a SLOSA RSO, and a club Life Member (when I'm not here in Iraq), I encourage you to bring your OLL's and AK's to the range. Jeff works on Monday, he's retired Army and, like me, a small arms repairman with well over 20 years exprience.

$10 for non-members to shoot all day. Unless you bring your own, fresh targets are $.25 each (we have multiple choices). There is no ammo for sale, and no refreshments except for a $.75 soda machine (but has water too). We do not care if you want to bring a lunch, we have a seperate lounge to relax in relative quiet, or a picnic bench outside if it's sunny and warm. Restrooms are open to all. We have LOTS of steel out to nearly 500yds, and can hang paper out to 300yds. Take pics or video and tell your friends!

We only ask that armor piercing ammo is not used. We don't care about steel cases or jackets, we just want our steel plates to last longer:D

Tell "Jeffro" that Dave said 'Hello'!

valleyrat
12-31-2007, 6:22 PM
SLOSA is an awesome range, despite the high winds today. I got to shoot my NDS3 ak with no hassle, the RSO was awesome. This was the first time shooting my AK clone at a public range.

Army
01-01-2008, 4:00 AM
SLOSA is an awesome range, despite the high winds today. I got to shoot my NDS3 ak with no hassle, the RSO was awesome. This was the first time shooting my AK clone at a public range.

I love it when a plan comes together :)

madwarrior
01-12-2008, 7:20 PM
Hey Valleyrat like i said that day at the SLOSA range your always welcome
at our range.

sloguy
01-12-2008, 8:03 PM
i only have one complaint about slosa and its a fairly trivial one. i dont agree with paying range fees every trip if im a member. many times i want to shoot a few rounds and leave, but if it costs me 5 bucks per visit even after ive paid membership fees thats just lame.

besides that the range is great. i still go there but not as often. i juts think members should be able to shoot without range fees since they already paid membership fees.

valleyrat
01-12-2008, 9:18 PM
Hey Valleyrat like i said that day at the SLOSA range your always welcome
at our range.

I definitely had a good time, got to sight in my new NDS/Romy. I really appreciate being able to enjoy my hobby without being made feel like a criminal. Big thumbs up to slosa, and it was nice meeting you madwarrior.

Army
01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
i only have one complaint about slosa and its a fairly trivial one. i dont agree with paying range fees every trip if im a member. many times i want to shoot a few rounds and leave, but if it costs me 5 bucks per visit even after ive paid membership fees thats just lame.

besides that the range is great. i still go there but not as often. i juts think members should be able to shoot without range fees since they already paid membership fees.
I agree with you, and we've argued this to the club board until blue in the face. We could easily raise non-member fees to $15 to cover it. Only Life members do not pay range fees.

To be fair, some of the fees are used to maintain ALL the ranges there, not just the public range (and our pitiful salary:D ), and insurance for use of State property. We're still pretty cheap compared to many other ranges that do not allow the variety of firearms and ammo we do.

AJAX22
01-13-2008, 7:33 AM
I like SLOSA, I've been there with several OLL AR's and no one has ever bothered me (beyond one time asking if I had torqued my barrel nut on properly, apparently they had an issue with homebuilt guns before:eek:)

They are a great place to shoot. Especially now that pregenant hill in cayucous is locked up and they shut down pistol point.

The only things they've told me not to do is

1) don't shoot the pistol targets with a shotgun to test the patern of your new barrel

2) don't shoot two pistols at the same time (even if the whole point of gettting two cz52's was to try it out)

3) dont shoot slugs at the 500 yard steel target

CSACANNONEER
01-13-2008, 7:40 AM
This is good to know. If I get up that way, I'll check it out. Is the range BMG friendly? I used to belong to a couple of the private clubs in the back. This was before SAS or SLOSA. Man, I'm getting old!

sloguy
01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
I agree with you, and we've argued this to the club board until blue in the face. We could easily raise non-member fees to $15 to cover it. Only Life members do not pay range fees.

To be fair, some of the fees are used to maintain ALL the ranges there, not just the public range (and our pitiful salary:D ), and insurance for use of State property. We're still pretty cheap compared to many other ranges that do not allow the variety of firearms and ammo we do.

if members could shoot without having to pay the 5 bucks id become a member again. i just feel like what i go there now i have to bring alot of guns and make a whole day of it to get my moneys worth. i mostly shoot 22lr and usually less than 20 rounds of bigger things.

i would even be willing to donate some time for range mantenence if something could be worked out so i didnt have to pay every trip.

thisismyboomstick
01-13-2008, 12:02 PM
SLOSA is one of my favorite ranges. Although admittedly I haven't been to very many since my backyard is 320 acres of open space. I would visit my brother when he was at Cal Poly and we'd drag a couple of M1's and his 03a3 out to the range. The RSO took a liking to my Garand and insisted I let him pound on the 400yd steel with it a bit. There was a guy there with an STG58 Cali-Fal who let me put a few rounds through it and thus my Fal addiction was born. Fun place.

Army
01-13-2008, 11:45 PM
This is good to know. If I get up that way, I'll check it out. Is the range BMG friendly? I used to belong to a couple of the private clubs in the back. This was before SAS or SLOSA. Man, I'm getting old!
We love the BMG's, but our steel does not! If you want to hike up the hill and place a target, you are more than welcome (actually, I'll take it up for you on the Quad). Gallon water jugs are fun, but you have to pack out the debris afterwards. We have less than 500yds to shoot at, which takes some of the fun outta the big boomers, but everyone at the range loves to gape at the blast.

The back ranges were, and are, still SLOSA, just clubs within the club. I first joined the Central Coast Muzzleloaders in 1982, which back then also made you a member of SLOSA. The entire range complex is under the auspices of the Central Coast Firearm Education Facility.

CSACANNONEER
01-14-2008, 5:19 AM
I joined Central Coast Muzzle loaders for a year around 1988 and was a member of SLSBA for several years around that time. I bought my first few smokepoles from Atascadero Guns way back then. I just missed the good ol' days of the outlaw ranch buy a couple of years.

fpasuncion
10-11-2008, 9:56 AM
I live in Los Osos and have yet to make my way out to slosa with my newly built AR...my cousins go out there almost every thursday night. As soon as these two baby girls of mine grow up a little bit more, maybe then I'll meet up with all of you guys! 'til then!

Capt Jack
10-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Thumbs up for SLOSA, I go there a few times a year (need to go more!) and its always been a pleasure. Great RSOs and a nice facility. The fact that you don't get hassled for an OLL or AK with Wolf ammo makes it that much better.

Gonna try and go this monday with my girl to let her try out the 9mm for the first time :D

My hope is she gets hooked and lets me start buying up a crateload of new toys! (One can dream can't he :rolleyes:)...

Army
10-11-2008, 9:13 PM
I live in Los Osos and have yet to make my way out to slosa with my newly built AR...my cousins go out there almost every thursday night. As soon as these two baby girls of mine grow up a little bit more, maybe then I'll meet up with all of you guys! 'til then!
NECROPOST :D

COme on out on Sundays. I am RSO then, and have no problem with any military look-alike firearm.

I always have my AR-.22 with me, so your kids can shoot like you!

fpasuncion
10-12-2008, 8:33 AM
what's necropost?

Oh...my daughter's are 7 years old and the other is only 5 months. I'll make sure to make it out there on sundays when I do come though. Thanks!

Capt Jack
10-12-2008, 11:00 AM
I think it means this post has been resurrected from the dead! ;)

I'll be there tomorrow with my girl and her sister, who heard we were going and decided she wanted to try out the 9mm too, the more the merrier!

braskin
10-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Army,
Are the Thurs. night hours all year long? Do you turn on the lights at the rifle/pistol range? I thinking about going this Thurs. but wanted to be sure.

SikDMAX
12-27-2009, 7:59 PM
Just wanted to update this thread a little with some pics of the SLOSA range currently - what a great place! Became members a few days ago and plan on enjoying a bunch of range time there with some new toys and upcoming builds.

Thanks guys!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Shooting/SLOSARange1.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Shooting/SLOSARange2.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Shooting/SLOSARange3.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Shooting/SLOSARange4.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r58/SandInspiredKustomz/Shooting/SLOSARange5.jpg

cal3gunner
12-27-2009, 8:11 PM

SLYoteBoy
12-27-2009, 8:17 PM
Necropost ;). Im only about an hour and 15 north of there. I need to check it out some day. Thought about coming down maybe to shoot or even watch a pistol or steel challenge.

WileyWilly
12-27-2009, 8:50 PM
Website and schedules:
http://www.slosa.org/

old-trapper
12-27-2009, 9:37 PM
nice to see all the slosa guys in here i was there again today good range great people ...I am in los osos ...we all got to get togather and bar b que.

Jim_KT
12-28-2009, 9:31 AM
Dang, I miss SLOSA! That was my favorite place to shoot while I was in college and frequented it quite often during 1999-2002. The wife and I also miss SLO, period! We do make it out that way as much as possible to rejuvinate ourselves and might be there sometime this week.

SikDMAX
12-28-2009, 9:34 AM
Well, the range is open Thurs-Sun 0800-1600 so head out!

RUM
12-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Is this the range thats at the north end of Cal Poly???

SikDMAX
12-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Correct, about 5 miles north of Cal Poly on Highway 1.

about 1.5 miles north of Camp San Luis Obispo and Cuesta College.

patsline74
12-28-2009, 5:53 PM
Does SLOSA rent any guns? My girlfriend just told me she really wants to try a 9mm in case she can carry some day :eek::punk:

Jim_KT
12-28-2009, 6:20 PM
Just booked Wednesday and Thursday nights in SLO. Might bring one of my RAWs and hit SLOSA.

Capt Jack
12-28-2009, 6:31 PM
Does SLOSA rent any guns? My girlfriend just told me she really wants to try a 9mm in case she can carry some day :eek::punk:

No, unfortunately, they do not rent guns or sell ammo. I know that at some of the trap/skeet events they have some loaner guns, but none for rent. If she wants to try a 9mm, I suggest range master in SLO. They have an indoor range and rent several different handguns and some pistol caliber and rimfire rifles.

Just give them a call for more info. Hope she likes shooting, it will make this whole hobby much better! :D
Range Master Guns & Uniforms
(805) 545-0322
149 Granada Dr # A
San Luis Obispo, CA

SikDMAX
12-28-2009, 7:06 PM
Just booked Wednesday and Thursday nights in SLO. Might bring one of my RAWs and hit SLOSA.

Nice! Post up if you are heading out Thursday, myself and a buddy will come out!

Ford8N
12-28-2009, 8:37 PM
Ha, We were shooting there one time on Thursday night and the old men from the trap range made us stop because we were making to many sparks on the steel... even though you could see your breath and barely see the steel from all the fog. It sucked that night.:( I guess we were having to much fun.

Koolpsych
03-01-2010, 9:17 PM
Went there this past weekend on Sun. with 4 friends. Got to bring out my AR and my new 10/22. We all had a blast shooting there and the staff was really friendly. Some of them had not shot before so the RO explained the rules and was cool about it.

Despite us looking young (all 21) everyone was friendly to us and it was fun to see what everyone else was shooting! Me and my housemate bought a membership so we will be back soon!

SikDMAX
03-01-2010, 9:27 PM
Went there this past weekend on Sun. with 4 friends. Got to bring out my AR and my new 10/22. We all had a blast shooting there and the staff was really friendly. Some of them had not shot before so the RO explained the rules and was cool about it.

Despite us looking young (all 21) everyone was friendly to us and it was fun to see what everyone else was shooting! Me and my housemate bought a membership so we will be back soon!

Welcome!!

NorcalGSG
03-01-2010, 11:36 PM
Oh how I loved shooting there while at Poly. Night trap shooting, great guys, man I'm sad I'm not there anymore! What a great place.

Capt Jack
03-02-2010, 5:40 PM

Glad to hear you had a good time at SLOSA. Its a very friendly place and no issues with black rifles at all. You have to check out the trap and archery area as well as those are also included with the membership.

Koolpsych
03-03-2010, 1:36 AM
Glad to hear you had a good time at SLOSA. Its a very friendly place and no issues with black rifles at all. You have to check out the trap and archery area as well as those are also included with the membership.

Oh wow I didn't even know they had a trap and archery range! It must be on the right side when you enter? which I have never gone to.

Archery is a lot of fun, I remember learning how to shoot properly in the Boy Scouts and trap would be fun too if I had a shotgun!

Sometime while I am over there I will have to walk on over and see what the other side is like.

Kali-Jax
03-03-2010, 5:25 AM
How about a Calguns range day this month at SLOSA. Either on the weekend or thursday night?

patsline74
03-03-2010, 7:19 AM
Oh man, if that happened, I'd have to scrounge up the range fee I don't have so I can go. I'd be there.

Army
03-03-2010, 1:05 PM
Oh wow I didn't even know they had a trap and archery range! It must be on the right side when you enter? which I have never gone to.

Archery is a lot of fun, I remember learning how to shoot properly in the Boy Scouts and trap would be fun too if I had a shotgun!

Sometime while I am over there I will have to walk on over and see what the other side is like.

The range you see when you exit the highway, is the Hogue Action Range. Strictly for local, state, and national competitions and our monthly club shoots (action pistol/IDPA/ICORE/USPSA).

Going down the lane will get you to the "longhouse" public range, all manner of arms are welcome, from BB guns to .50BMG. We also have a single trap thrower there, for shotgunners that don't want to shoot at the formal range....

...which is at the end of the lane. Two full trap lanes, plus a high/low skeet house. We also just installed and opened a clays-like lane shoot, which is getting rave reviews.

Adjacent to the shotgun range are the 3 archery lanes, with 15 to 40 yard target backs, and includes a few 3-D critters. Archery is only available when the shotgun range is open, for safety reasons. The Shotgun RSO also monitors the archery lanes (shotgun is open Tuesday to Sunday, times vary).

www.slosa.org (http://www.slosa.org) for all information.

Capt Jack
03-03-2010, 6:02 PM
How about a Calguns range day this month at SLOSA. Either on the weekend or thursday night?

I would love to do a calguns range day at SLOSA! The only free saturday for me this month is the 27th, otherwise I've got some free ones next month.

Maybe we can start another thread to see what dates work for other calgunners?

Koolpsych
03-08-2010, 12:35 AM
Sounds like some fun! Never been there on a Thursday night, how is it shooting under the lights?

Went there this weekend and had a blast shooting the metal gongs with the AR and my friends new wasr-10!