PDA

View Full Version : The Kingdom What type of Rifle?

USN CHIEF
12-28-2007, 6:15 PM
In the movie "The Kingdom", what type of rifle was it that the EOD Expert used at the end of the movie? I really like the looks of it and would like to know what type of rifle it was so that I can start saving my pennies...

Stormfeather
12-28-2007, 7:00 PM
got a pic to help us out here?

a ruger 10/22 maybe?

Lon Moer
12-28-2007, 7:03 PM
I have not seen the movie, so I don't know who "EOD expert" is, but if you mean this guy

http://pagansmurfen.ath.cx/web/misc/vlcsnap-2299561.png
http://pagansmurfen.ath.cx/web/misc/vlcsnap-2301744.png

He's using a HK G3 (HK-91). Closest for us is the PTR-91. :cool:

69Mach1
12-28-2007, 7:05 PM
HK 91/ G3 rifle.
http://blufiles.storage.live.com/y1pTs7kXNCYGDKnRecmbJtPqaeV_Vb1BIXoDv-

Stormfeather
12-28-2007, 7:10 PM
Yup, its definitely a Ruger 10/22. . . . . . :)

As the guys have said, hk91 in .308/7.62 Nato

USN CHIEF
12-28-2007, 10:12 PM
Lon Moer, thanks that is what I was talking about. I guess since it has a pistol grip and detachable magazine I will have to wait until I get stationed out side of Kalifornia.

M. Sage
12-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Man, those are freakishly heavy.

DrjonesUSA
12-29-2007, 1:05 AM
Man, those are freakishly heavy.

....compared to a Ruger 10/22 maybe....

I just handled that EXACT rifle this weekend - HK, wide forearm with bipod - and it was surprisingly light.

I thought the bipod is supposed to add a lot of weight up front, but I couldn't tell it was attached.

If you really think the HK/PTRs are that heavy, you need to workout more.

I'll give you that the PTRs have some noticeable heft up front because of the bull barrel, but that HK almost felt like a toy, it was so light!

M. Sage
12-29-2007, 7:03 AM
The only one I've handled belongs to a friend in Texas. I'd just got done looking at ARs and AKs, so compared to those... He told me that I should carry the HK instead of my AK on our hiking trip (about 30 miles in mountains).

I can handle the rifle, but damn, is it heavy.

gose
12-29-2007, 7:38 AM
....compared to a Ruger 10/22 maybe....
I just handled that EXACT rifle this weekend - HK, wide forearm with bipod - and it was surprisingly light.
I thought the bipod is supposed to add a lot of weight up front, but I couldn't tell it was attached.
If you really think the HK/PTRs are that heavy, you need to workout more.
I'll give you that the PTRs have some noticeable heft up front because of the bull barrel, but that HK almost felt like a toy, it was so light!

The G3 was my latest issue rifle and it is one heavy beast (compared to .223 AWs) and built like a tank (we used them for urban training). For range work, you wont notice it, but after carrying it around for a week, I really missed the weight of my FNC (but not much else ;) ).

brianm767
12-29-2007, 8:48 AM
I have a registered Springfield Armory SAR-8, their copy of the HK91, I think it's the nicest HK91 clone out there, I love it, but like mentioned it's heavy, I couldn't imagine carrying one around as a battle rifle,

My brother had a HK43, man was it sweet, pretty much the same as the 91 but in .223 , I kick my self in the but every time I think about when I passed one up for $1200

Lon Moer
12-29-2007, 1:36 PM
Lon Moer, thanks that is what I was talking about. I guess since it has a pistol grip and detachable magazine I will have to wait until I get stationed out side of Kalifornia.
Well, the PTR is off-list and there are a couple of options for the fixed magazine.
Do a search for PTR/PTR-91 for more details.

afx
01-02-2008, 1:59 AM
It's H&K G33 A2 with G3 Mag

chuck762
01-02-2008, 3:38 AM
It's H&K G33 A2 with G3 Mag

I don't think so seeing as how the G33 uses a smaller mag. Plus if you look at the stock in the picture you see 2 push pins which only the G3/91s use. G33 has only one pin.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa5/spid3rman79/firearmindex.htm

lazuris
01-02-2008, 6:12 AM
After shooting the HK and the FAL during a long weekend in AZ. I have to say i don't care at all for the rifle. It has a short stock and low comb that rests your cheek to close to the rear sight. The stock has a nasty ability to bump you below your eye socket. Now i'm 6'1 with long arms so perhaps an aftermarket stock would have worked. However, after long shoots with them, shooting all .308 i would say i perfer the M1A and AR-10. The reciever is below the cheek weld and your head it above the rifle. If that makes sense.

chuck762
01-02-2008, 6:36 AM
After shooting the HK and the FAL during a long weekend in AZ. I have to say i don't care at all for the rifle. It has a short stock and low comb that rests your cheek to close to the rear sight. The stock has a nasty ability to bump you below your eye socket. Now i'm 6'1 with long arms so perhaps an aftermarket stock would have worked. However, after long shoots with them, shooting all .308 i would say i perfer the M1A and AR-10. The reciever is below the cheek weld and your head it above the rifle. If that makes sense.

I find the standard A2 stock too short also. For my SAR8 I bought a Nambian (spelling?) stock with is basically a FAL stock molded to fit the HK metal. It lengthens the pull nicely and your face isn't as close to the receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/chuck1/66fac68e.jpg

Then you have the worst feeling stock ever which is the A3 stock. Makes it nice and compact but people don't call it the meat tenderizer stock for nothing. :eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/chuck1/DSC01303.jpg

BLACKWATER
01-02-2008, 2:34 PM
Those are some cool rifles that our future shooters would never be able to buy unless the laws change in CA.

DrjonesUSA
01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Those are some cool rifles that our future shooters would never be able to buy unless the laws change in CA.

You cannot buy an actual HK in CA, but you can get an exact and higher-quality copy. Search for "PTR" on this forum.

brianm767
01-03-2008, 12:01 AM
I find the standard A2 stock too short also. For my SAR8 I bought a Nambian (spelling?) stock with is basically a FAL stock molded to fit the HK metal. It lengthens the pull nicely and your face isn't as close to the receiver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/chuck1/66fac68e.jpg

Then you have the worst feeling stock ever which is the A3 stock. Makes it nice and compact but people don't call it the meat tenderizer stock for nothing. :eek:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/chuck1/DSC01303.jpg

Where did you get the Nambian stock? I wouldnt mind trying one on my SAR8,
and also just curious, is your SAR8 a over stamped SAR3? mine is, I never knew what that was till a friend told me, wondering how common they are?

Also is yours a short barrel? what kind of brake or suppressor is on yours?

chuck762
01-03-2008, 3:29 AM
Where did you get the Nambian stock? I wouldnt mind trying one on my SAR8,
and also just curious, is your SAR8 a over stamped SAR3? mine is, I never knew what that was till a friend told me, wondering how common they are?

Also is yours a short barrel? what kind of brake or suppressor is on yours?

I bought the stock years ago from a company that is no longer in business. They pop up every once in while on various boards but run anywhere from 150 to 200 bucks. They were made in either black or green. Of course the green costs more. They also made a handguard that was vented (which I loosely copied seen in the bottom pic).
They are much more comfortable than the standard stock.

I did try a choate folder and it felt much better than the HK collapsible but since I am a lefty the hinge smacked me in the nose when fired it. The choate is a little on the short side also.
ACE stocks makes stocks to fit it and can be had in a fixed or a folder. But thier stocks liek the choate does away with the HK buffer and uses a rubber buffer that needs replacing fairly often from the beatring the .308 gives it.

Mine is a post ban SAR8. Imported in 96 if I remember right and had the barrel threads cut off and a chunk of metal welded on to look like a flash hider. It also came with the thumbhole stock.

My barrel is 16.1 with the welded on hider. It is a YHM phantom that I opened up and pressed on to the barrel then welded in place.
I was going to thread it for the factory HK hider but the taper in the barrel left it undersize for me to thread and since it had to be welded on to be legal length I just turned it down then made the hider a press fit.

It was a pain in the butt getting enough US made parts to be able to switch the furniture around but I did it and it am happy with it.
Now with PTR making a bunch of US made parts it is easy to get the parts count right.

rue
01-03-2008, 11:18 AM
Someone actually watched that movie?

Addax
01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
You cannot buy an actual HK in CA, but you can get an exact and higher-quality copy. Search for "PTR" on this forum.

You can bring the HK SR9, 911 and 43 into California since they are off list rifles.

The SR9 was the answer to the original AW ban to introduce a sporterized version of the HK91/G3, and the SR9 is a little more accurate than the HK91 and it sports polygonal rifling vs. standard rifling, no flash hider and an improved buffer vs. the standard 91. Current Estimated Value: $2000-$6000 depending on the model variant of the SR9 (SR9, SR9T, SR9TC)

The HK911 was a model that is basically a HK91 with an additional 1 stamped on the receiver. These rifles were already in customs when the ban took place (if I have my info. right) and it was modified with the additional 1 stamp and a thumbhole stock was installed, and no flash hider. Current Estimated Value: $2000-$4000

The HK41 is a true civilianized version of the HK G3 battle rifle imported in the 60's, but not too many around in the US. Current Estimated Value: ?? I would have to guess upwards of $3-$4k+

Here is a picture of my SR9 I picked up a couple months back (Rifle on top).
I have since ordered a MSG90 stock (US Mfg), and German wide forearm and US mfg. Navy Lower from JLD.

The rifle below it is a Vector V93 rifle (copy of the HK33) which is a 5.56/.223 rifle.

Both rifles have the Radd Bullet buttons installed and 10 round magazines.

I will take some new pics very soon.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/100_0562.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/100_0562.jpg

DrjonesUSA
01-03-2008, 2:30 PM
You can bring the HK SR9, 911 and 43 into California since they are off list rifles.

I stand corrected!

brianm767
01-03-2008, 5:16 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the Springfield Armory SAR8 banned due to it's features under CatIII and not under CATI by name? or by the Robert-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

I registered mine but I think it was because of the features.

And if thats correct, couldn't we bring a SAR8 in to Cali if it has a locked mag with some thing like a bullet button?

Also I don't think the HK43 is on any list either, man I would love to have one of those!

Addax
01-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Yes on the SAR8.

It is Off List.

I have one (my second SAR8) comming to Cali sometime in the next week.

It will come diassembled with the upper/receiver going to my ffl and the lower/trigger assembly comming to me.

I will install the Radd Bullet Button and the necessary US parts to make it as 922r compliant as I possibly can, since I will not be using the thumbhole stock it originally was imported with..

There is an even lesser known direct HK G3 clone from Portugal built on HK tooling etc. called the XG3S. I found a NIB XG3S back in November and it will be here soon..

Pics will be posted soon...;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't the Springfield Armory SAR8 banned due to it's features under CatIII and not under CATI by name? or by the Robert-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.

I registered mine but I think it was because of the features.

And if thats correct, couldn't we bring a SAR8 in to Cali if it has a locked mag with some thing like a bullet button?

Also I don't think the HK43 is on any list either, man I would love to have one of those!

brianm767
01-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Yes on the SAR8.

It is Off List.

I have one (my second SAR8) comming to Cali sometime in the next week.

It will come diassembled with the upper/receiver going to my ffl and the lower/trigger assembly comming to me.

I will install the Radd Bullet Button and the necessary US parts to make it as 922r compliant as I possibly can, since I will not be using the thumbhole stock it originally was imported with..

There is an even lesser known direct HK G3 clone from Portugal built on HK tooling etc. called the XG3S. I found a NIB XG3S back in November and it will be here soon..

Pics will be posted soon...;)

I almost bought an XG3S myself, wish I would have, but I love my SAR8, now I just need a .223 cal rifle, , hows the quality of the Vector V93? who makes the receiver?

Addax
01-04-2008, 1:04 AM
I almost bought an XG3S myself, wish I would have, but I love my SAR8, now I just need a .223 cal rifle, , hows the quality of the Vector V93? who makes the receiver?

The Vector V93 is Excellent and a very nicely built rifle, but I am very picky about some cosmetics, so some things that might bother me a little may not bother others.

The furniture is sandblasted smooth and it just does not look great, and the trigger guard still had the pin holes open, so I replaced all three parts. The buttstock that came with the rifle is the cheaper all plastic kind. I replaced the buttstock with a HK buttstock with the metal backing/mounting plate (ex police buttstock) and I replace the forearm (see pic below of the updated rifle).

The trigger assembly is from JLD (Navy Lower).

Radd Bullet Button and a 10/40 round magazine is installed.

The receiver I believe is built by Cohaire for Vector.

The rifle is excellent and very very well built, it look exactly like the original HK rifle. Well worth the $1200 I paid for her.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc137/addax/100_0599.jpg

high_revs
03-01-2008, 6:53 PM
Someone actually watched that movie?

i did... on dvd... i was drooling all the time once i saw the HK hardware! :drool5:

now i need to get my hands on one! :D