PDA

View Full Version : Chest rig what style should I get?

Jimmy Deuce
12-28-2007, 5:52 PM
Just want calguners input what chest rig I should get. I am 5'11 265 and wil be using it for SHTF. I will not be using it every day. I am stuck between a recon style rig and plate carrier. Give me your 2 cents.

Recon style has built in mag pouches and a built in hydration carrier
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/MOLLE-137.jpg

Plate Carrier style can hold plates and soft armor has 4 built in mag pouches.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/MOLLE-134.jpg
Thanks.

yallknowho
12-28-2007, 5:59 PM
duh, plate carrier. not only can it hold a plate, it gives u more molle attachment points.

USN CHIEF
12-28-2007, 6:17 PM
Plate carrier for me. What if the Zombies start shooting back? Plate carrier definately.

Diablo
12-28-2007, 6:48 PM
Plate carrier. The side pouches can get a little bulky though. The molle attachments are a big plus.

draconianruler
12-28-2007, 6:57 PM
Definately plate carrier. You can add all the molle accessories you may need.

Stormfeather
12-28-2007, 6:58 PM
I have to echo all the guys comments here. In a two way range when SHTF, you want a plate carrier. You can invest in the carrier now, and upgrade as you go along. Buy a pouch every other week, or a IIIA plate a month. If you are going to be using it for SHTF, then theres no reason to skimp. Its your *** on the line, so make sure you have the gear to cover it!

12-28-2007, 6:59 PM
I agree with everyone else. Get the plate carrier and throw some plates in it. And as yallknowho stated, if you need to you can use the molle attachments for more mags.

bobfried
12-28-2007, 11:56 PM
How fast do you think you can put what you posted on versus these? How much attention would you draw with the above and armor plates versus soft underclothes armor and these?
http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5163/img0024kd3.jpg

How fast do you think a tactical chest rig is compared to these when they need to be put into action? Are you skilled enough to make much of a speed difference in use of a chest rig versus these during a firefight?
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4715/img0025mx9.jpg

Here is my statement: I can have 10 fully loaded magazine on me, ready for action within 5 seconds before you could even un-buckle any tac-rig. I can pull a mag out of these about as fast as I can out of my HSGI and tactical Tailor rigs that I had before. I don't need a seperate dump pouch because it is relatively easy to put an empty magazine back into one of these. Walking through a deserted street I would be much less of a target than decked out in my IBA. Oh and I caught your post on ARFcom, remember that most AR rigs won't fit AK mags.

SHFT is preparing for the unknown and immediate, it's not something you can plan and put tac gear on before hand. Practical tactical is often misunderstood:

It has to be practical before it needs to be tactical.

JeffM
12-29-2007, 2:18 AM
...How much attention would you draw with the above and armor plates versus soft underclothes armor...

...Walking through a deserted street I would be much less of a target than decked out in my IBA...

SHFT is preparing for the unknown and immediate, it's not something you can plan and put tac gear on before hand. Practical tactical is often misunderstood:

100% agree. Unless you're going out to look for trouble, the rig bobfried posted is spot on. It might be worthwhile to have in case of a break in/bump in the night investigation (goes under the "looking for trouble" heading).

PS, bob, where'd you get the man-bags?

M. Sage
12-29-2007, 8:02 AM

I agree with you there. Those look like they'd work for ammo pouches or satchels, depending on the situation.

Depending on the SHTF, I really can't see needing more than 3 mags. Carry enough to get out of trouble, not into a firefight you'll lose.

Spaceghost
12-29-2007, 8:56 AM
You have choice to make. How much money are willing to put towards your SHTF ballistic protection? How sure are you that this gear is needed? The answers to the previous questions is going to determine what kind of gear you need for your purposes.

Personally, I would prefer a lo vis plate carrier and a regular plate carrier. Depending on the situation, you just move your strike plates from one carrier to the other.

Check out this lo-vis plate carrier. It isn't cheap, but neither is your life.
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Predator-Low-Vis-Carrier-PLVC-SQVA--P77C39.aspx

As far a molle plate carriers, I would look at some quality brands, such as Eagle, So-tech, Tactical Tailor, or Blackhawk gear(they aren't quite as nice).

Stay away from that cheaper than dirt stuff. It's ok for light use, but every day post apocalyptic survival use? No good. It is made by the same factories that make the airsoft gear. Not that it won't work for a short while, but it will not last like the good stuff.

Paul
12-29-2007, 9:12 AM
A vote for the recon style.

I live in SoCal where it gets HOT not not but HOT! Every bit of heat means that the rig ain't going to get worn, meaning it will be taken off too often ... and I also plan on being on my chest a bunch. Prone is the way to go.

I've got a recon style and a set of Class IIIa body armor. 9-months out of the year wearing the body armor would be tough while working under it's added weight and insulation. If I manage to wear the body armor I would have to stay close to home. About the only thing I'd want was hydration and ammo. :)

Mr. Joshua
12-29-2007, 9:43 AM
If you're really set on a plate carrier skip the airsoft crap and get a HSGI Woo or Weesatch, or a Eagle PC w/ cummerbund. They're both very affordable and will give you plenty of room to attach whatever gear you need.

Until I can afford plates, I'm running a Tactical Tailor MAV chest rig w/ assorted pouches for ammo, med supplies and water.

randy
12-29-2007, 9:50 AM
5'11" and 265 unless you are built like a brick SH@( house and have been drinking from the cup of Berry Bonds. You need to do alot of road work before you buy the Ninja stuff. With those proportions you might as well keep your mags in the fridge and some by the recliner chair.

There is no mission if you can't get to the mission.

And before you get all defensive I'm a big fat guy too. If you aren't a fat guy forget this post and don't crush my head.

luvtolean
12-29-2007, 9:51 AM

That's just not always the case. There is no one scenario for "SHTF".

In the Rodney King riots you certainly would've had time to put on a vest with plates.

And personally, I'd want to be and look like the meanest, most heavily armed SOB I could so the n'er-do-wells moved on from my business and/or residence and looked for those less defended.

SHTF does not have to involve movement. In most forseeable SHTF scenarios, the only movement for someone who is prepared will be getting home and/or to loved ones.

In any type of natural disaster, anarchy does not happen instantly, it takes time...and it's usually predictable.

robitrocks
12-29-2007, 9:59 AM
I vote plate carrier. It gives you greater flexibility, you can clip on a blow out bag, hydration system and not feel as limited as you would with a satchel or a recon rig. If you wanted to put on soft armor under the recon rig, you'd be WAY hotter than with a plate carrier. Not that I'm talking down either option, each have their place, I just prefer the plate carrier. :cool2:

robitrocks
12-29-2007, 10:04 AM

In the Rodney King riots you certainly would've had time to put on a vest with plates.

And personally, I'd want to be and look like the meanest, most heavily armed SOB I could so the n'er-do-wells moved on from my business and/or residence and looked for those less defended.

SHTF does not have to involve movement. In most forseeable SHTF scenarios, the only movement for someone who is prepared will be getting home and/or to loved ones.

In any type of natural disaster, anarchy does not happen instantly, it takes time...and it's usually predictable.
:iagree: A Katrina or Rodney King seems a more likely SHTF situation.

l0kster
12-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Bobfried -

what kind of mag bags are those?

bobfried
12-29-2007, 1:40 PM

When I read that I see it as a contradiction. Katrina and the LA Riots were not slow and decaying SHTF of society norms, they were instantaneous combustion of life during a very short compresed period. In those situation your best bet is to GET OUT, immediately. It's nice to think your Rambo and staying to defend your little plot of land, but that's what insurance is for.

How many idiots got he bright idea that they were going to stay and defend their property during Katrina? How many of those same idiots than later complain that the government didn't saved them fast enough?

.......SHTF does not have to involve movement. In most forseeable SHTF scenarios, the only movement for someone who is prepared will be getting home and/or to loved ones.....

Those example are exactly what I would consider SHTF scenarios where movement is immediately required above all else. And than you outline a second scenarios which involve not going anywhere, but than throw in the need to get home or to a loved one quickly. If SHTF I will most likely stay put, but I will have to go somewhere to do something eventually and that might be forced upon me. Making a mad dash home or to a loved one is axactly what I mean by movement during a SHTF. My setup is geared towards those immediate 72 hours than living the pipedream of being the warlord on my roof.

This is where I think most people have their mindset completely mixed up. natural disasters do hapen instantly and they are not something you can prepare for as a slow decline of society. If your planning for a 9.0 mega-quake in Socal, your NOT going to see it coming. And when it does hit your amazing chest rig and plates will be a useless dud because you have to get out fast and get out now.

........And personally, I'd want to be and look like the meanest, most heavily armed SOB I could so the n'er-do-wells moved on from my business and/or residence and looked for those less defended.
........ it takes time...and it's usually predictable.

The only part that makes sense somewhat are these two portion when combined. So you see a slow decline of society and decide to harden your residence, business and yourself. Well guess what, the baddest mofo on the block is going to attatch the attention of the policce, military, city, county, state, federal, police, gangs and the little old lady down the street. The first chance someone ask who we should take out first, your name will immediately pop up. Remember, this is a slow decline of society, so your harden target and pimped out self will immediately make those around you that you have something very valuable to protect. Above all else, even if you mean well, you will be sean as the MENACE on your block and all the "sheeples" will point a finger at you when any authority rolls in.

I will have my home hardened as much as you will, I will be wearing soft body armor and at least one level 4 plate when needed. I will be as heavily armed as you would be. I will have as many mag/ammo around and on me as anyone can. But my house will look the same except for some well placed trash bins and vegetable trowels. I will look just like everyone else on my block, though slightly bulkier and always carrying around my man-purse and guitar case. Being well armed and prepare shouldn't have to be the same as sticking a big *** target on you and your family. Just because I won't be decked out in my HSGI Woosatch with plates and my AR all pimped out in my hand doesn't mean I am not prepared or well armed as nyone else. It's just rather that when me and you walk down the street, people won't notice me anywhere near as they notice you. Or when the military make a fly over, they won't immediately mark my house like they will mark yours as a potential threat. It's all about blending in, there's a reason the military wears camo even when they are decked out in gear, it's because blending in will save your *** and sticking out will get it popped. I feel civilians with no formal military/LE training be most susceptible to the mindset that somehow you have to look like a bad *** to be a bad ***.

There's an old proverb:

The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

MrLogan
12-29-2007, 1:48 PM
When I read that I see it as a contradiction. Katrina and the LA Riots were not slow and decaying SHTF of society norms, they were instantaneous combustion of life during a very short compresed period. In those situation your best bet is to GET OUT, immediately. It's nice to think your Rambo and staying to defend your little plot of land, but that's what insurance is for.

How many idiots got he bright idea that they were going to stay and defend their property during Katrina? How many of those same idiots than later complain that the government didn't saved them fast enough?

Those example are exactly what I would consider SHTF scenarios where movement is immediately required above all else. And than you outline a second scenarios which involve not going anywhere, but than throw in the need to get home or to a loved one quickly. If SHTF I will most likely stay put, but I will have to go somewhere to do something eventually and that might be forced upon me. Making a mad dash home or to a loved one is axactly what I mean by movement during a SHTF. My setup is geared towards those immediate 72 hours than living the pipedream of being the warlord on my roof.

This is where I think most people have their mindset completely mixed up. natural disasters do hapen instantly and they are not something you can prepare for as a slow decline of society. If your planning for a 9.0 mega-quake in Socal, your NOT going to see it coming. And when it does hit your amazing chest rig and plates will be a useless dud because you have to get out fast and get out now.

The only part that makes sense somewhat are these two portion when combined. So you see a slow decline of society and decide to harden your residence, business and yourself. Well guess what, the baddest mofo on the block is going to attatch the attention of the policce, military, city, county, state, federal, police, gangs and the little old lady down the street. The first chance someone ask who we should take out first, your name will immediately pop up. Remember, this is a slow decline of society, so your harden target and pimped out self will immediately make those around you that you have something very valuable to protect. Above all else, even if you mean well, you will be sean as the MENACE on your block and all the "sheeples" will point a finger at you when any authority rolls in.

I will have my home hardened as much as you will, I will be wearing soft body armor and at least one level 4 plate when needed. I will be as heavily armed as you would be. I will have as many mag/ammo around and on me as anyone can. But my house will look the same except for some well placed trash bins and vegetable trowels. I will look just like everyone else on my block, though slightly bulkier and always carrying around my man-purse and guitar case. Being well armed and prepare shouldn't have to be the same as sticking a big *** target on you and your family. Just because I won't be decked out in my HSGI Woosatch with plates and my AR all pimped out in my hand doesn't mean I am not prepared or well armed as nyone else. It's just rather that when me and you walk down the street, people won't notice me anywhere near as they notice you. Or when the military make a fly over, they won't immediately mark my house like they will mark yours as a potential threat. It's all about blending in, there's a reason the military wears camo even when they are decked out in gear, it's because blending in will save your *** and sticking out will get it popped. I feel civilians with no formal military/LE training be most susceptible to the mindset that somehow you have to look like a bad *** to be a bad ***.

There's an old proverb:

That makes the most sense I've heard all day.

luvtolean
12-29-2007, 6:18 PM
Holy smokes. I guess I can wait to go make dinner a few more minutes...

They were not slow in societal change norms.

They were slow in comparison to a gunfight erupting in front of your house with your kids on the lawn. (which is the kind of thing you'd want something hanging on a hook to grab, and time for nothing else)

But they sure the hell were slow in regards to the amount of time it takes to put on gear. It takes an extra minute or two to zip on a vest.

Katrina was building up for days. If you make the decision to stay, you have a relatively long time to prepare. Even when the water started rising, anarchy didn't start en masse immediately. People had to start getting desperate. And then...then suddenly all hell broke loose.

Your idea of allowing insurance to do it is your idea. I agree with you except that certain bits of that property might be saving my life. Like my food and water. But others choosing to defend what is their's is their personal decision.

Have you ever been in a flood? How about had your house burn down? Business? Ever even had to run your house on a generator for days on end...and watched how neighbors start changing?

I've had things things happen to myself and immediate family. Sometimes members choose to stay. I know of people who went to their grandmother's house in the Rodney King riots as she was too old and frail to be moved quick enough. They were standing guard in front of her house and ended up in a gunfight. People died that day.

My parents live in TX. I wonder if you have any idea what happens on the roads in an evacuation. Many people die on the roads during evacuations. Or how about at hospitals? Places with drugs?

So which one is it? There is no one answer. A SHTF scenario is dynamic. It will always be different.

The natural event happens. You're probably going to head home from work, which hopefully isn't too bad. I don't carry a large arsenal in my car, so a vest or pouch discussion is moot there.

Anarchy will not be immediate. But if it does break out, it will probably be after I've made it home. If you're at home, which is sure the hell where I want to be, why wouldn't you have heavy gear on?

Soldiers fighting in houses wear chest rigs. Seems like fighting in your house...a chest rig might be a good idea no?

I don't want to leave my house and property in an earthquake. The roads will be ****ed. Bad. They are going to be damned dangerous. At my house I have supplies. I will want to keep them and my family safe. Anarchy did not happen in Katrina for DAYS after the announcement of the disaster. The Rodney King riots also went on for days. Most people afflicted had time to prepare if they chose.

My mindset is not incorrect. If I make it home, I will likely be stuck there. And the best way to keep what you have is to appear a stronger, more prepared person than others.

Do you remember the Rodney King Riots? The TV shots? People guarded their businesses with AKs. They were left alone. That stuff worked very damn well. And it was because they were visible.

I feel civilians with no formal military/LE training be most susceptible to the mindset that somehow you have to look like a bad *** to be a bad ***.

There's an old proverb:

Careful with your incorrect assumptions. This isn't military stuff where there are tactics and coordinated action to take out the biggest threat. This is uncoordinated punks tearing up neighborhoods with bricks, rocks, and maybe a Jennings pistol.

The formal training, not to mention real life situations I've been through tells me posturing is always part of avoiding a conflict.

Predators prey on the weak. No matter the species.

The point of all this isn't an argument which is best. The argument is, the original poster wants a chest rig. It is a useful tool in at least some types of SHTF preparation. Help him with that, or move on. Don't tell him it's stupid to do it at all, because it most clearly is NOT!

bobfried
12-29-2007, 6:41 PM
Yah know what, your right and so am I. Moderation is always the best answer, someone readin this need to take half of what i think and half of what you think and it would be perfect.

Stormfeather
12-29-2007, 10:33 PM
Yah know what, your right and so am I. Moderation is always the best answer, someone readin this need to take half of what i think and half of what you think and it would be perfect.

OK, half of his and half of yours, you are both right/wrong! I can see both sides and while I dont quite agree with your side BobFried, I can see your way of thinking and mindset. Well said arguments on both sides. So lets get down to the meat of it. . whch do either of you reccomend? Recon or Tactical Vest?

N6ATF
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
:dupe: ish
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75377

M. Sage
12-30-2007, 9:07 AM
Both of you make really good points.

That being the case, I'd vote for the plate carrier and a couple of plates AND get a low-profile setup like the man-purses. :D

robitrocks
12-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Check out this murse. It's expensive but kinda cool.
http://www.onesourcetactical.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=921&HS=1

And here's another.
http://www.geardo.com/images/EGL/eggiebowerAC.jpg

Centurion_D
12-30-2007, 1:48 PM
I'm really considering on purchasing one of these..
http://www.sordaustralia.com/SORD/Platforms/SCS_CHEST_RIG_FRONT/1sm.jpg

or one of these..
http://www.sordaustralia.com/SORD/Platforms/CHEST_RIG_FRONT/1sm.jpg

I really like the modular design of their products and they look well made. The company is called SORD and there located in Australia. Check it out.
http://www.sordaustralia.com/index.php

hitman13
12-31-2007, 6:24 PM
http://www.blackhawk.com/product1.asp?P=37CL33

75 bucks while they last

hitman13
12-31-2007, 6:26 PM
:dupe: ish
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75377

i vote not a dupe.

he posted different options and iirc OP of the other thread was looking for a comp. rig, this OP wants a SHTF rig

Bizcuits
12-31-2007, 7:33 PM
Just want calguners input what chest rig I should get. I am 5'11 265 and wil be using it for SHTF. I will not be using it every day. I am stuck between a recon style rig and plate carrier. Give me your 2 cents.

Plate Carrier style can hold plates and soft armor has 4 built in mag pouches.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/MOLLE-134.jpg
Thanks.

I have this exact plate carrier, I don't use the side pouches, mainly because I have a level 2 vest in mine which makes the sides come out more. I have Blackhawk STRIKE pouches on mine.

It is a great vest. Plate Carriers are body armor, and a tactical vest. Or you could just have a tactical vest.

docsmileyface
01-01-2008, 9:31 AM
I have no problem with my MOLLE II FLC that was issued to me. I can carry a lot of crap, it's easy on my shoulders and it breathes well and you can get one on E-bay with a full rifleman pouch set up in woodland or DCU for pretty cheap.

schmud0811
01-01-2008, 3:08 PM
if i were you id spend the money on training instead. Rifle and physical training

Don't take this as a personal attack but here it goes....At 265 pounds unless your in super shape your going to have a hard time walking around carrying your rifle not counting in the added weight of ammo and armor. And if your still foot mobile you won't be in any shape to provide well aimed fire anyways.

The last 10 years of my life i have to wear body armor on a constant basis, and it is not the most enjoyable thing but tolerable. Military gear sticks out like a sore thumb. For SHTF I would get a plate carrier and good plates, you can hide that under a sweatshirt or parka.

Then get yourself a chestrig to go over your plate carrier and outer wear. you can get a subload to attach to your thigh via a riggers belt, for magazines. if you want to go that route. you can remove the added weight of a full load out when you want and still have personal protection.

skip soft armor it is added weight you don't need, we wear soft armor mostly for frag, i doubt you will be getting frag lobbed at you. more than likely .22lr and 9mm from a hommies gat. you need ammo and water and a first aid kit, get that and build from thier.

Q
01-01-2008, 3:53 PM
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4715/img0025mx9.jpg
Those are nice pouches. The russian version is rare.
I'm looking to get a few of these for the g3 if I can find them without the mags since they won't ship here. Anyone know where to buy just the g3 pouches?
http://image.sportsmansguide.com/dimage/102066_ts.JPG?cell=200,200&cvt=jpeg

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=259621