PDA

View Full Version : Replacing brake on AK

voodoo
12-28-2007, 9:07 AM
How difficult is it to replace a slant brake on an AK with an AK47-style brake?

M. Sage
12-28-2007, 9:27 AM
Err, the slant brake is an AK47-style brake.. :p You mean a 74 brake? You might need a heat-resistant spacer to take up some of the slop, or the bullets could hit the edge of it on the way out (seen that before.)

I just got a JTac brake for my AK, and it comes with a spacer. Still need to shoot it, probably tomorrow, to see how it stacks up.

voodoo
12-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Err, the slant brake is an AK47-style brake.. :p You mean a 74 brake?

Oops, my bad. Yes, I meant "AK74" brake !:D The 74 brake I purchased from Tapco didnt include such a spacer. Is it common to experience "slop"?

M. Sage
12-28-2007, 10:22 AM
You'll have to try screwing it on and see if the brake winds up snug or if it wobbles a bit. The way the compensator lock works on the AK, you might wind up having to find something to take up the space between the muzzle device and the front sight base. That's one of the good things: it's pretty easy to take the compensators and brakes on and off an AK. Just push the plunger and unscrew.

Remember that the muzzle is threaded with left-hand threads, so that "righty tighty" rhyme is backwards for this application. Clockwise loosens, counter-clockwise tightens.

blackbok
12-29-2007, 10:33 AM
Remember that the muzzle is threaded with left-hand threads, so that "righty tighty" rhyme is backwards for this application. Clockwise loosens, counter-clockwise tightens.

That is the most important thing I found in changing brakes. Don't sit there crankin' the thing "lefty loosey", trust me!