PDA

View Full Version : City of LA No Ammo Sales till After New Years

Equalizer2
12-26-2007, 9:55 PM
SEC. 55.09. AMMUNITION SALES.

(Added by Ord. No. 165,930, Eff. 6/5/90.)

(a) The term "firearm ammunition", as used in this section, shall
include any ammunition for use in pistols, revolvers, rifles, shot guns, or
any other device designed to be used as a weapon from which is expelled a
projectile by the force of explosion or other form of combustion.

(b) Except as specified in Subsection (c) and (d), no person, including
retail gun dealers, shall sell, give, lend or transfer ownership of any
firearm ammunition during the period of seven days prior to the first day of
January of each year or on the first day of January of each year, or during
the seven days prior to the Fourth of July of each year or on the Fourth of
July of each year.

(c) Nothing in this section shall prohibit the sale or transfer of
ownership of firearm ammunition by a wholesale gun dealer to another
wholesale gun dealer or by a wholesale gun dealer to a retail gun dealer, or
of ammunition requested by Section 12324 of the Penal Code of the State of
California.

(d) Nothing in this section shall prohibit sale to or acquisition
by any person described in Section 12302 or 12322 of the Penal Code of the
State of California.

(e) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale of
any firearm ammunition when such sale is prohibited by Sections 12303,
12303.6, 12304 or 12321 of the Penal Code of the State of California, or is
otherwise prohibited by Chapter 2.5, Title 2, Part 4, of the Penal Code of
the State of California.:eek::eek::mad::mad:

VeryCoolCat
12-26-2007, 9:58 PM
Heh... I guess I'll be buying ammo out the back of a riced out civic :p

Ech0Sierra
12-26-2007, 10:03 PM
Lol bet they're trying to cut down on this.http://blogging.la/archives/images/2005/12/saddam.jpg

Equalizer2
12-26-2007, 10:14 PM
I finally found the City of LA Municipal Codes, there are too many to post all at once. But here is why most vendors will not ship to LA.:mad::mad:

SEC. 55.11. RECORDS OF AMMUNITION SALES.

(Amended by Ord. No. 172,002, Eff. 6/5/98.)

(a) The term "firearm ammunition" shall mean any ammunition for use
in a pistol, revolver or other firearm, as that term is defined in Section
103.314 of this Code.

(b) The term "vendor", as used in this section, shall mean any
person who is engaged in the retail sale of firearm ammunition and retail
firearms dealers.

(c) No vendor shall sell or otherwise transfer ownership of any
firearm ammunition without at the time of purchase recording the following
information on a form to be prescribed by the Board of Police Commissioners:

1. the date of the transaction,

2. the name, address and date of birth of the transferee,

3. the transferee's drivers license or other identification number
and the state in which it was issued,

4. the brand, type and amount of ammunition transferred,

5. the transferee's signature, and

6. the name of the sales person who processed the transaction.

The vendor shall also at the time of purchase or transfer obtain the
right thumb print of the purchaser or transferee on the above form.

(d) The records required by this section shall be maintained on the
premises of the vendor for a period of not less than two (2) years from the
date of the recorded transfer. Said records shall be subject to inspection
at any time during normal business hours in accordance with the provisions
of Section 103.14 of this Code.

(e) No person shall knowingly make a false entry in, or fail to
make a required entry in, or fail to obtain the required thumb print, or
fail to maintain in the required manner records prepared in accordance
herewith. No person shall refuse to permit a police department employee to
examine any record prepared in accordance with this section during any
inspection conducted pursuant to this section, or refuse to permit the use
of any record or information therefrom by the police department.

(f) The requirements of this section shall not apply to:

1. any person described in Section 12302 or 12322 of the Penal Code
of the State of California.

2. any off-duty peace officer who displays proper agency
identification which identifies him or her as an active peace officer.

3. any person who has been issued a permit to carry a concealed
weapon under the authority of Section 12050 of the Penal Code of the State
of California

4. any security guard licensed under the authority of Section
12033 of the Penal Code of the State of California.

5. any firearms dealer who has been issued a Federal Firearms
License, a Certificate of Eligibility by the State of California and a
Seller of Firearms Police Permit by the City of Los Angeles.

(g) Violation of this section shall constitute a misdemeanor.

RRangel
12-26-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that is meant for "vendors" within the city limits.

Moonclip
12-26-2007, 10:34 PM
Does no good in my "hood". I'm sure people have learned to stock up or buy ammo in the OC or areas of LA county like Norwalk tha are not under this restriction.

Equalizer2
12-26-2007, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty sure that is meant for "vendors" within the city limits.
I have not been able to confirm it but I was told that Ammo could only be shipped to a class 01 FFL in the city of LA.It has taken me three days just to find this crap. I am also looking for the Fire code for the storage of Ammo in LA.
The entire LA Code on Guns & Ammo was to long to post.:eek::eek:

N6ATF
12-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Yet another law that likely has no effect on the idiots who acquire and fire off all their holiday noisemakers and incendiaries anyway.

ar15barrels
12-27-2007, 12:21 AM
Heh... I guess I'll be buying ammo out the back of a riced out civic :p

I guess I should start selling ammo out the back of a riced out civic :p

bear308
12-27-2007, 1:09 AM
just head out of city limits. Burbank has four places that sell ammo.

Moonclip
12-27-2007, 1:31 AM
just head out of city limits. Burbank has four places that sell ammo.

Who are they besides Firing Line?

Equalizer2
12-27-2007, 2:17 AM
The Big 5 Store on Victory in Burbank, has a pretty good selection and fair prices. Regards, Cliff

bear308
12-27-2007, 8:45 AM
Plus Gun World and Gun Country (both on Magnolia).

Soundman
12-27-2007, 9:22 PM
Yeah last year at a LA range I was told to keep all my ammo in the car and go out to get it as needed because anything I brought into the range could not be allowed to leave between Xmas and New Years. I was very happy that the range was warning people of the stupid law

kermit315
12-27-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah last year at a LA range I was told to keep all my ammo in the car and go out to get it as needed because anything I brought into the range could not be allowed to leave between Xmas and New Years. I was very happy that the range was warning people of the stupid law

that doesnt sound right. its yours, you paid for it, you own it, you took it there to shoot. just because you dont run through all of it doesnt mean you cant leave with it.

bah, stupid LA laws

tombinghamthegreat
12-28-2007, 12:05 AM
CA has more uneffective gun laws. Who would have though that those existed in california.:rolleyes:

CALI-gula
12-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Yet another law that likely has no effect on the idiots who acquire and fire off all their holiday noisemakers and incendiaries anyway.

And I doubt even the idiots actively get off their lazy butt just days before New Year's, with the motivation to go buy ammo just to shoot up in the air and make noise on New Years Eve (even if they could). Shooting up in the air, even for idiots, is an afterthought in the moment, for want of anything better to do. Face it - they are home on New Year's, and shooting up in the air is their last attempt at having some kind of fun, since they didn't go out, but stayed home to get drunk or stoned - they've got the gun, it's already loaded, and/or they have ammo out in the garage because that's where their dad keeps it. They keep a box of 50 rounds lying around, and since they never go to the range, that gives them about 5 years use if they clear a 10-round magazine each New Year's Eve. When they finally run out, they go buy more, likely AFTER NEW YEAR'S EVE because that's when they discover they are finally out of ammo. And they buy one box of 50 rounds of Wolf to last another 5 years, and so on, and so forth. :rolleyes:

Ammo sales never increased with any relevancy on the July 4th or New Year's Eve weekends in the past, even when it was allowed. It was bullcrap. If ammo sales increase now at stores surrounding LA, it's only because people like me are going to the range on their day off and need some specialty ammo for which they don't already have in mass supply (say, something like .45 WinMag or 7.63 Mauser).

Seriously; I doubt anyone - and I am including the idiots who have never shot a gun before EXCEPT each New Year's into the air - actually buy ammo for that purpose, and that purpose alone. They already have the ammo months, or years in advance. Why do I know this to be true? This anti-2nd-Amendment-purchase-of-ammo law in LA has been around for many years, but all I have to do is stick my head out of my house on New Year's Day at 12:00AM, and listen for the even amplitude of percussive cracks in a row, usually in the form or 6, 8 or 10 repetitions, which indicate they clearly aren't fireworks, kids banging pots, or cars backfiring.

N6ATF
12-31-2007, 12:36 AM
Thank you. Doesn't matter where or when you ban ammo or fireworks sales, idiots will continue to use them illegally.

randy
12-31-2007, 8:49 AM
It was just another feel good law passed by those of you that live in Los Angeles City.

CALI-gula
12-31-2007, 10:50 AM
It was just another feel good law passed by those of you that live in Los Angeles City.

Actually, no, technically it's an ordinance and not a law. As a business ordinance, the LA City Council can get away with putting it in force without putting it to voters. It also allows them to avoid the State Preemption law. They can ban sales as a business issue, just like they can regulate other business types and deals - but they learned long ago they can't ban possession unless such a ban is state-wide.

True, we vote on LA City Council members; but like the ban on "ultra-compact" handguns, bans on sales of .50-Caliber handguns (and prior to AB-50, a ban on sales on .50 caliber rifles), these were put in place by a city council vote. In most cases, the general public had no idea these were being heard or put into force because maliscious designs by LA City Council often don't hit the media or their own website until already voted upon and put in place. You would have to attend nearly every LA City Council meeting to know when things are being done, because they will often bring up a vote on an issue by surprise or "emergency" without forewarning, just to avoid having opposition in their chambers (I know, because I was lucky to be there on an occasion when they did this). Even then, when you are given a chance to speak on the issue, it's useless; their vote has already been made up long before they got to their chairs that day, whether by inside agreements or political favors. The time spent for hearing "public opinion" to LA City Council is there chance to look at the docket for the next up-and-coming portion of their meeting - they AREN'T listening to you. When it comes to 2nd Amendment issues, they break their own rules - they'll give the fascist supporters of tyranny several minutes to speak, on and on, so long as it supports their vote - but if you oppose their Hitler-like plans, you are only allotted your 1 minute, and then the number of people in opposition is limited as well. It's never an even balance; I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes.

If there is any governmental organization in this whole country that deserves to be brought up on RICO charges, it's our very own LA City Council.

LA City Council even has closed door meetings on such matters!

Here's just one infamous account of how LA City Council behaves in their chambers, and the lies they will propel, noted in first-person by someone with just a wee bit of influence (I was also there that day):

http://nramemberscouncils.com/caspecial/la50banbarrett.shtml