PDA

View Full Version : Bisley vs. a "Regular" Single Action Grip

L-2
12-26-2007, 5:00 PM
I'm considering getting a single-action revolver but don't have any opinion regarding the two grip types commonly available. Given a choice, which grip type is preferred and "why/why not". TIA.

Max-the-Silent
12-26-2007, 5:06 PM
For me, it depends on caliber.

I prefer the standard grips, but I've found that the Bisley types are easier on the hand when shooting major (.475, 45/70, .500) caliber SA's

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/Max-the-Silent/Gun%20Collection/MVC-736S.jpg

jmlivingston
12-26-2007, 5:17 PM
What's the difference between them? I presume that Max's picture above includes both types but they all look the same to me.

John

Max-the-Silent
12-26-2007, 5:24 PM
What's the difference between them? I presume that Max's picture above includes both types but they all look the same to me.

John

Your eyes aren't fooling you, and neither am I - The two Rugers and the two Colt SAA's in my pic all have "standard" SA type grip frames. The Bisley type is longer and narrower.

jmlivingston
12-26-2007, 5:38 PM
Okay, thanks! What about birdshead grips, how do they compare to the other two styles?

John

bwiese
12-26-2007, 5:48 PM
Be aware there are two sizes of 'conventional' single-action grips.

The full-size standard Ruger Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks have a grip that I find to be uncomfortable with heavy loads. These grips (as well as the guns themselves) are somewhat bigger/heftier than the traditional Colt SAA. IMHO these Ruger Blackhawk grips are just the wrong size, except for appearance. The "longer/taller" Bisley grip allows a more direct back-thrust for recoil and no edges cutting into your lower palm, etc.

In fact, I am converting a Super Blackhawk into a Bisley (a "Bishawk") as soon as I get off my arse and acquire a Bisley grip frame.

By contrast, the new Ruger 50th Anniv .357 (introduced 2005), the new "New Vaquero" (and, I think the very latest "Montado") have the new smaller frames and smaller SAA-sized gripframes. I find these easier to grasp/shoot, at least for the 38/357 stuff I shoot. (I am unsure if the new 50th Anniv 44Mag Flattop has the new smaller SAA-style grip, but I think so.)

As an aside, the New Vaquero in 45LC should not be used with "Ruger loads', which were designed for the bigger/sturdier frame & cylinder of the traditional big-assed Blackhawks.

A Birdshead grip is likely for style/concealability - I don't think you'd want to shoot 44Mag in them, etc. As I recall, they're typically 38/357 guns with 3+" bbls. They felt OK to me (never shot one).

L-2
12-26-2007, 7:13 PM

John

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/133T.jpg
BISLEY TYPE

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/68T.jpg
"REGULAR" (WESTERN) TYPE

I believe different hammers are usually used, too.

jmlivingston
12-26-2007, 8:01 PM
Thank you guys, for the SA education. Much appreciated! It's one (of many) missing from my collection, but is rapidly moving up my "gotta have" list.

John