PDA

View Full Version : NorCal Monthly Steel Precision Steel Match

Vu 308
12-26-2007, 2:56 PM
Here it is guys.

Competitors will have to pre-reg on the Even numbered months. Limited to 30 shooters.

Thanks,

Vu

http://sacvalley.org/SacVal/NorCal_Practical_Precision_Rifl.html

Pthfndr
12-26-2007, 6:17 PM
What? No teaser?

PistolPete75
12-26-2007, 7:19 PM
hope to attend at least one of your matches next year!

uscbigdawg
12-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Holy crap you read my mind! I'm going to love you guys when I get home!!!

Rich

Vu 308
12-27-2007, 4:04 PM
LOL....

Things should be fun in 2008. A lot of chances to pull the trigger.

I really need to get with TWolf to set up a North Vs South battle.

15 of your shooters vs 15 of ours.

Timberwolf
12-27-2007, 4:14 PM
That would indeed be interesting :gene:

Noypi916
12-27-2007, 4:23 PM
Does SacValley have small bore rifle competition too (22LR or air rifle)?

Timberwolf
12-27-2007, 4:25 PM
I could make a comment about certain people up north being small bores but I won't . . . :innocent:

Noypi916
12-27-2007, 4:30 PM
I could make a comment about certain people up north being small bores but I won't . . . :innocent:

hahaha! :D

I'm interested getting into this sports but I dont have a high power rifle. I'm thinking starting with a 22LR will be good + the ammo is not that expensive.

Timberwolf
12-27-2007, 4:38 PM
A lot of us, myself included, started in small bore 3 and 4 position. In fact I have recently revisited small bore shooting, using a 22lr as a training tool for LR Precision.

uscbigdawg
12-27-2007, 5:47 PM
So not fair. So Cal has Mike Voigt and Ron Filho. Two of the top LR/Sniper competition shooters in the country. I'm sure we have our share up north. I'm learning....quickly. :D

Rich

Pthfndr
12-27-2007, 7:48 PM
Does SacValley have small bore rifle competition too (22LR or air rifle)?

Yes. Sent you a PM.

Vu 308
12-28-2007, 6:58 PM
So not fair. So Cal has Mike Voigt and Ron Filho. Two of the top LR/Sniper competition shooters in the country. I'm sure we have our share up north. I'm learning....quickly. :D

Rich

LOL...what! HOLD UP now. Where did you get the top in the country list?

Not taking away from their trigger pulling mojo but you have probably not met Dennis Lorenzo, Rob Thomas, Marc Soulie, or a number of other shooters that don't post on the net. They come out..pull the trigger...go home. :cool2:

Twolf...lets not talk about small bores. LOL..keep in mind I have never seen more 243s...260s...and 6.5s until I shot down south. Not to mention every freaking rifle has a brake. :eek: Soft shoulders down south? Must be the water? LOL just messing with you boys man.

Lets not forget So Cal also has Don Augustine...which is a dyam good shot.

Timberwolf
12-29-2007, 9:56 PM
Vu tell ya what when we square off for the North v South shoot we'll limit it tp 30 cal only - - - 308 or 30-06 - - - no mouse guns, space guns, race guns, hot rods - just plain ol' 30s :gene:

Vu 308
12-29-2007, 11:52 PM
HELL YAH....that is what I am talking about!

Can we dump the BR weight triggers also? I would say 2.0 to 2.5 lbs minimum.

wildcard
12-30-2007, 12:02 PM
Why not just let people shoot what they're good with?

ar15barrels
12-30-2007, 4:10 PM

Because some people have "bought" their "goodness" rather than "earned" it. ;)

A 16lb 243 with a muzzle brake and a 6 ounce trigger is hardly fair competetion against a 12lb 308 with a 3lb trigger and no brake.

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 7:50 PM

I agree with AR15...in today's world and today's technology a guy with the right amount of cash can buy a fair amount of an advantage.

I hope the long range tactical disipline never turns into 3gun or IPSC. Our club is proud that an average joe without big dollars can pick up a Rem M700P or Savage 10FP and be competitive.

If you don't believe me ask Mr Rob Thomas about Dennis Lorenzo and his bone stock Rem 5R 308win.

And its called Tactical Long Range..when was the last time someone ran around with a 4oz trigger in the field? Personally I hate gamers or frustrated lawyers on my line. The guys that try to ask about 10000 questions to find lil ways to game the COF.

Sorry for the RANT...but I am with Twolf...lose the mouse guns and lets see who the real marksmen are when the playing field is leveled.

Just my opinion which isn't even worth 2cents =)

Vu

wildcard
12-30-2007, 8:25 PM
As AR15 said...in todays world with todays technology with the right amount of cash you can buy an advantage in this game.

I hope the long range tactical game never turns into 3gun or IPSC. Our club kind of prides itself that an average joe without big dollars can pick up a Rem M700P or Savage 10FP and be competitive.

If you don't believe me ask Mr Rob Thomas about Dennis Lorenzo and his bone stock Rem 5R 308win.

And its called Tactical Long Range..when was the last time someone ran around with a 4oz trigger in the field? Personally I hate gamers or frustrated lawyers on my line. The guys that try to ask about 10000 questions to find lil ways to game the COF.

Sorry for the RANT...but I am with Twolf...lose the mouse guns and lets see who the real marksmen are when the playing field is leveled.

Just my opinion which isn't even worth 2cents =)

Vu

I shoot one of those bone stock 700P's myself (with a brake). There's no feeling like out shooting some dude with a 8K stick though :) I suppose that given equal skill level, the person with the better equipment will more likely shoot better. But when it is "group vs group," any advantages due to equipment should average out. Besides, to truly be "North vs South," you have to factor in the said gamers and lawyers which will be deterred by limiting the equipment used!

But for the best vs the best, it would help level the playing field by limiting the equipment.

Pthfndr
12-30-2007, 8:41 PM
lose the mouse guns and lets see who the real marksmen are when the playing field is leveled.

Vu

And make 'em shoot using only a sling. None of this wimpy boy bipod and rear bag stuff :D

And FWIW, your opinion is worth a fair amount to me.

So long as I'm still kicking your butt on the range!

Timberwolf
12-30-2007, 8:55 PM
My opinion on this is event we put together a North v South competition it should be a competition and not who has the latest, fastest, flattest, wind bucking, awe inspiring cartridge. God forbid we ever get to the point where we have to have a major and minor caliber to keep it equally competitive.

Anyway right or wrong I still say it should be limited to 30 cal and I agree with Vu that trigger pulls should be at field level of 2.5 lb or higher.

Timberwolf
12-30-2007, 8:57 PM
And make 'em shoot using only a sling. None of this wimpy boy bipod and rear bag stuff :D

And FWIW, your opinion is worth a fair amount to me.

So long as I'm still kicking your butt on the range!

Now that's the spirit, we could go sling or ruck since a ruck has long been an accepted front rest.

PistolPete75
12-30-2007, 9:06 PM
i noticed by my 2nd match that there is a fair amount of advantage with shooters with custom rilfes over shooters with stock rifles.

when i was shooting my stock 700p with no muzzle brake it can be a little fustrating to get off shots within 1 minute, when you can loose your fov pretty easily.

if you guys want to keep it really fair, stock rifles with no brakes should be given a small handicap and new shooters should be placed toward the end in shooting position.

.243 and .260 shooters should have negative points too.

my 2 cents.

Timberwolf
12-30-2007, 9:25 PM
I think I've gotten my hands on a pre 64 Win 70 LA action and am considering building an "old school" Mod 70 sniper rifle in 30-06, except mine won't have a 3-9 scope on it. How much of a handicap do I get?

Pthfndr
12-30-2007, 9:29 PM
i noticed by my 2nd match that there is a fair amount of advantage with shooters with custom rilfes over shooters with stock rifles.

when i was shooting my stock 700p with no muzzle brake it can be a little fustrating to get off shots within 1 minute, when you can loose your fov pretty easily.

if you guys want to keep it really fair, stock rifles with no brakes should be given a small handicap and new shooters should be placed toward the end in shooting position.

my 2 cents.

A good shooter can shoot even better with better equipment. A good shooter with a box stock rifle will out shoot an average shooter with even the best rifle. In my experience. And I've shot a LOT of different kinds of competition.

I took a 100 year old Swede mauser (an original, military issue rifle) and bested 30 other shooters in last years Norcal Bolt Rifle Challenge who were shooting custom guns..

The rules are the rules, and they apply to everyone equally. If everyone plays by them - without "gaming" - then everyone has the same advantage / disadvantage.

If you're a new shooter and want to win, practice more. You get NO handicap from me.

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 9:33 PM

my 2 cents.

PP...I will have to disagree. Sure the custom rigs do hold a lil tigher but I would say half of our top 10 shooters for the 2007 season are shooting stock rigs. Rem 700P 308, Rem 700 5R, and a few Savages to be thrown in the mix. It's the man that logs a few thousand rounds a season that you should fear...not the high dollar rig. I have a few high dollar rigs and still get my *** handed to me. :confused:

"when i was shooting my stock 700p with no muzzle brake it can be a little fustrating to get off shots within 1 minute, when you can loose your fov pretty easily."

Loosing your FOV is not the COFs fault. Now if 29 guys out of 30 or even half of the field came to me and said the same thing you just did then there is a problem with the COF. You losing your FOV is because you do not have NPA and not managing recoil correctly. My 308 has no muzzle brake and if I have good NPA I can watch my trace go down range. Now if I am off on my NPA and not solid behing her..She flies off the right each and every time.

If you are talking about shooting with us..1 minute 3 rounds? That's ALL day.

As for 260s and 243s having negative points..nah. We will just say 30 cal 2.5lbs triggers. Twolf picks and leads the So Cal Squad..I will pick and lead my Nor Cal squad.

Maybe set it up so Twolf can set up a few of his stages and I can run a few of my stages. 1.5 day event...ends on a Sunday afternoon with some BBQ and good laughs. :)

Lets do this T wolf!!!!

Vu

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 9:36 PM
I think I've gotten my hands on a pre 64 Win 70 LA action and am considering building an "old school" Mod 70 sniper rifle in 30-06, except mine won't have a 3-9 scope on it. How much of a handicap do I get?

You get handicap parking. :D

PistolPete75
12-30-2007, 9:36 PM
A good shooter can shoot even better with better equipment. A good shooter with a box stock rifle will out shoot an average shooter with even the best rifle. In my experience. And I've shot a LOT of different kinds of competition.

I took a 100 year old Swede mauser (an original, military issue rifle) and bested 40 other shooters in last years Norcal Bolt Rifle Challenge who were shooting custom guns..

The rules are the rules, and they apply to everyone equally. If everyone plays by them - without "gaming" - then everyone has the same advantage / disadvantage.

If you're a new shooter and want to win, practice more. You get NO handicap from me.

i hear what your saying that it's the indian rather than the bow. i agree with you on that basis, however if you have one hell of a nice bow it sure does make shooting alot easier. my stock 700p had issues and i was averaging .75-1moa. my bolt was going in crooked, and my recoil lug was uneven. yes it shot well, but it wasn't a tack driver.

my new custom rifle has pinpoint accuracy. i can shoot less than .5moa right out of the box with no load development. i now have a muzzlebrake, and oh my Lord, this rifle does not move. very little recoil. i can easily follow up shots with no effort.

it's like night and day in comparison for me. not all stock rifles are built equally. some are built really well right out of the factory and some are not.

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 9:41 PM
PP...curious have you seen a major shift in score at matches now with your custom?

Timberwolf
12-30-2007, 9:43 PM
Vu I'm game - gotta find a good spot but got some ideas. Let me do some recon and I'll post up some ideas.

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 9:45 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeet.

Twolf I know its home field advantage for us but we can also host. I can find a date that will work for us in 2008 and reserve the steel range and 1K range.

We have a bunch of targets and equipment you can use to set up your COFs.

Lets link up and hash out the details.

Vu

PistolPete75
12-30-2007, 9:45 PM
by the way, i'm not looking for a handicap. when i shoot, i shoot in mind that i have nothing to loose and i just shoot. i've shot rifle for less than a year, but i've been out shooting people with alot more experience then me. i don't give a dam, and i just shoot. if someone looses to me, they should be ashamed of themselves to loosing to a newbie! :)

btw, my current round count experience in .308 is only 1.6k rounds.

PistolPete75
12-30-2007, 9:46 PM
PP...curious have you seen a major shift in score at matches now with your custom?

i had it for 1 week. give me a few weeks to get my load and dope down, and i'm ready to shoot.

Vu 308
12-30-2007, 9:48 PM
Sweet. Only problem with a high dollar custom is...0 excuses LOL.

I can't blame any of my guns any more. I usually blame Rob.

PistolPete75
12-30-2007, 9:51 PM

exactamundo.

Pthfndr
12-30-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks a lot. You kids are always blaming us "old" farts for something. ;)

Vu 308
01-01-2008, 5:45 PM
Rob...you need to get that 308 of yours out more often.

Going to need you on this north vs south battle.

Pthfndr
01-01-2008, 7:23 PM
Rob...you need to get that 308 of yours out more often.

Going to need you on this north vs south battle.

You mean my K31 won't pass for a .308? 175 SMK with 44.5gr of Varget @ 2650fps. Sounds like a .308 to me :)

Vu 308
01-01-2008, 7:32 PM
Works for me.

I wish the range was open today. Wanted to get some trigger time with the300WM.

Pthfndr
01-01-2008, 8:19 PM
I really need to get a new barrel for the old Rem. That 5R has been good, but can't hold tight past 500 yards anymore. That or get it set back and recrowned.

Vu 308
01-01-2008, 8:29 PM
Hmmm...we'll talk at the next match.

I have that brand spanking new never been fired 5R barreled action i am gettin ready to send off to have it worked on.

Maybe I should just throw the Rock barrel I have in the safe on that and get you into that 5R barrel?

Or you can jump in on that group buy on the Hide for Rocks?

ar15barrels
01-01-2008, 11:38 PM
I really need to get a new barrel for the old Rem. That 5R has been good, but can't hold tight past 500 yards anymore.

Make me a deal on that barrel so I can use it for a research project.
I'll set it back and rechamber it myself. ;)

Vu 308
01-02-2008, 6:49 PM
There you go Rob.

You need a solid 308 in that safe of yours.

Vu

Pthfndr
01-02-2008, 9:38 PM
There you go Rob.

You need a solid 308 in that safe of yours.

Vu

You handing out $$$$ too? Without those I have to run what I got. :(

Vu 308
01-02-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL..you got way more rifles than i do!