PDA

View Full Version : need advice on p13-45

omahaguntech
07-28-2013, 11:21 AM
I hope this is the proper place for my questions.
This forum is amazing.
Here are my dilemmas.
I ordered a cast P 12, then I heard that the P 13 has more compatible parts with a 1911, so I ordered a few P 13 casts. are most of the frame parts compatible with 1911, such as the hammer strut, safety lock, safety lock plunger, etc. from what I understand the only differences are magazine catch, trigger. the mainspring housing I hear is compatible with an officer 1911 but may need some modification. I'm begging for your expertise, advice and help. I do have gunsmithing experience, and several years precision machining. thank you for your time I appreciate it very much.

nick
07-28-2013, 12:08 PM
Here's the thread you want:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=700987

omahaguntech
07-28-2013, 1:10 PM
I have that thread bookmarked already.lol.. I tried to follow it got a little scattered, perhaps I need to reread it and I missed it, but I didn't read about a parts list per se.

nick
07-28-2013, 1:37 PM
I have that thread bookmarked already.lol.. I tried to follow it got a little scattered, perhaps I need to reread it and I missed it, but I didn't read about a parts list per se.

It's worth reading. As for the parts, you can get the MSH from Smith & Alexander, they make them both for P12 and P13. I believe, officers MSH will work for P13. The trigger and mag release are different, as you mentioned. Both can be bought at Para Pro Shop. These frames are cut for Para/Clark ramp, but some people modified them for non-ramped barrels (basically, just welded them over and did a different cut). Seemed like too much work though.

omahaguntech
07-28-2013, 2:07 PM
the one guy JB Weld a piece of metal in for that application, I'm going to do something similar but I'm going to silver solder it instead, I believe that will provide more strength then an epoxy. I read through it a couple times I really enjoyed the write up. I appreciate your guyses advice and help.

Hoagiem
07-28-2013, 4:58 PM
Jump on in that thread, it is still pretty active. I used a 6-32 flat head screw and hid it behind the slide stop, I plane on using a 4-40 on the next one and a hardened ground pin through the top in slide rail slot which will keep it from coming out, similar to the ejector pin, as soon as I can get some time on it.

Good luck with that project, if you have any questions just ask.

omahaguntech
07-30-2013, 1:21 PM
Can i get a pic of that, i can pm you my number or email

smoothy8500
07-30-2013, 1:40 PM
http://s1234.photobucket.com/user/smoothy8500/library/firearms/P13%20upgrade

I upgraded my P-13 a few years ago using off the shelf parts. Guncraft trigger, Smith & Alexander MSH, the rest were Wilson or Brown.

omahaguntech
07-30-2013, 1:54 PM
Looks awesome!.. Please guys drop all the knowledge tips and pics ya can. So very appreciated!

omahaguntech
07-30-2013, 3:39 PM
okay I met with the guy about plating the frame, he said the best bet is nickel and .002 thick. it will cost about $30 a frame. quick question could I heat the frame and oil dunk it, would that even work on cast aluminum? I don't really want to build a furnace.lol