PDA

View Full Version : Calif Legal AR15

wwingnut
12-23-2007, 6:16 PM
I presently own a Vulcan Arms Calif Legal AR15. Does anybody have any idea of how to remove the fixed mag release button so as to be able to install the button type that can be pushed in with a tool? I am having a problem finding out how it is installed. Is it glued in or welded or what. any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Solidmch
12-23-2007, 6:49 PM
Forget it just buy yourself a stripped lower.

wwingnut
01-06-2008, 7:25 AM
I don't mean to be persistant, but I understand that some Vulcan Arms AR15 have been converted to bullet buttons by people on this site. Somebody on here must know how to remove the Mag button and the mag catch in order to install a new button. The button appears to be epoxied into the receiver, but I cant determin if the release clip is epoxied into place or not and how much of a job it will be to remove it.

hoffman259
01-06-2008, 2:55 PM
Try posting in the riflemans forum

tacticalcity
01-06-2008, 9:03 PM
You bought the wrong rifle. Sell it and build your own.

I don't like to blast manufacturers, but I have had nothing but problems with Vulcan. The worst mistake I ever made was buying a Vulcan. Nothing was to spec. The trigger holes were drilled too big so I had to spend $50 more on anti-rotation pins from KNS. The rear half was too narrow for any upper so it looked funny, and the material was too brittle and the wings for the tigger guard broke off and the pin hole that blocks the buffer from coming forward when you break it down started to wear out and chip away.

Sell it before this starts happening to you. You bought a rifle for people who are too lazy to do it themselves, and are now trying to do it yourself. That ain't gonna work. You'll screw it up and then it will be worthless. Their lowers are too brittle for you to be trying to work on it. It will break on you just like it did me.

That rifle belongs in the hands of someone who will appriciate it exactly the way it is made and not want to make any changes to it. That is apparently not you.

Harbinger
01-06-2008, 9:08 PM
You bought the wrong rifle. Sell it and build your own.

I don't like to blast manufacturers, but I have had nothing but problems with Vulcan. The worst mistake I ever made was buying a Vulcan. Nothing was to spec. The trigger holes were drilled too big so I had to spend $50 more on anti-rotation pins from KNS. The rear half was too narrow for any upper so it looked funny, and the material was too brittle and the wings for the tigger guard broke off and the pin hole that blocks the buffer from coming forward when you break it down started to wear out and chip away.

Sell it before this starts happening to you. You bought a rifle for people who are too lazy to do it themselves, and are now trying to do it yourself. That ain't gonna work. You'll screw it up and then it will be worthless. Their lowers are too brittle for you to be trying to work on it. It will break on you just like it did me.

...or, remove the epoxy, drill/push out the pin and remove the mag, then use the lower as a dedicated .22 lower. You won't have any problems with the buffer stop pin because a Ciener kit doesn't even exercise the buffer.

FYI, trigger guard wings can break off on any lower if you don't support them from the other side with a piece of plywood.

BELIEVE ME, I'm in total agreement that Vulcan lowers are horrible... but I doubt this guy wants to just toss ~$150 worth of lower + fuel + dros. I seriously doubt he would be able to sell it for more than $50.

WWINGNUT - PM me if you'd like some help converting your lower.

Mike

wwingnut
01-07-2008, 5:31 PM
After looking into the situation a little more, it was a very easy conversion. I posted a note on the gunsmithing threads and got help from some knowledgable people. I gently tapped the release button with the plastic handle of a screwdriver and it compressed easily. The release catch was not epoxied so it screwed off easily. There was a pin through the rear of the mag which I drilled out. This released the mag which also had some epoxy applied to it, but it chipped off easily. What little epoxy was in the button cavity was removed very easily. The whole job took about 20 minutes. When I bought this gun there were not many choices. The FAB 10 was the only Cal legal gun available and that was not suitable at all. Just after I bought the Vulcan, Bushmaster came out with another one. This was all before all the new information concerning getting around the Calif laws was available. I was not too lazy to build one, but it simply wasn't feesable at that time. Thanks Harbinger for the offer to help me, but I did get the job done with a minimum of any problems.
Mike