PDA

View Full Version : AICS Spacer

PistolPete75
12-22-2007, 9:01 PM
I just got my new R+D AICS rifle, but I have monkey arms and need some extra spacers.

Can I simply take the two screws off, and add 1 or 2 spacers and still use the stock screws (will the screws be long enough)?

I would love to add 1-2 inches if I can.

Prc329
12-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Them screws are pretty darn long. I think you can. There was a guy a sniper's hide that was making the spacers.

Timberwolf
12-22-2007, 10:14 PM
I think I have some spare spacers if interested.

PistolPete75
12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I think I have some spare spacers if interested.

yes, i am interested. do you have the extended screws too? or do you know where to get the extended screws?

i want to add 1 extra inch in length.

Timberwolf
12-22-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't believe you'll need the extended screws for just an inch. I'll look and see what I have in my bag of tricks

Prc329
12-22-2007, 10:26 PM
You have a caliper correct? Measure how deep the hole is in the stock to the screw head. Then measure the screw. That should tell you how much you can add.

wildcard
12-22-2007, 10:31 PM
So when and where will you be testing out your new stick?

PistolPete75
12-22-2007, 10:37 PM
my rifle hasn't been tested yet by Randy. i went by randy's place, and picked up my rifle without the final testing from him.

after i get the stock adjusted, i'm ready for testing. i got a load ready to go.

i also got the specs on his custom chamber, so i'm ready to order my parts for future builds.

can't wait to shoot the rifle.

rksimple
12-23-2007, 7:51 AM
You know you need to post pics now, right? I bet its awesome. Can't wait to see it.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 12:01 PM
i wish i could post pictures. i have no camera on me right now. it's at my office!

range report.

oh my lord. this is the best rifle that i have ever shot. loads were not developed. i used Timber's recipe: fgmm,168gr noslers hpbt, 42.8grains of rl15, and br2 primers. oal was set to a standard length of 2.80oal.

took me three rounds to get me within 1 inch of center mass. quickest i ever got it in sighted. i took a five round group, results were 1/2moa. trigger was a little heavy for me, and i pulled the last round. trigger was supposed to be set at 2.5 pounds, but it feels like 3 pounds.

i was off 1 moa on elevation, and 1/2 moa on windage. by the way, there was a 5-10mph half value crosswind.

now i started to concentrate a little bit more, took 3 shots. cloverleaf grouping, about .3moa. i ended up taking 7 more shots for a total of a 10 shot group. result was 1/2moa, centermass!

i ended up leaving my magazine at home so i was single feeding. i was assuming the same check weld each time i shot it.

couldn't chrono it, cause i shot it! opps! i didn't care. i took a shot at the 400yard buff, 1 shot, hit. 7.75 moa elevation, same as the 700p so i'm assuming 2650fps.

after some fine tuning on the load, and with little less wind. this is easily a .2-.3moa rifle!

Randy Cain is the man! Also figured why my 700p was shooting .75-1moa. My stock recoil lug was uneven and my bolt was uneven to the reciever. Bolt was going in crooked, and got worse over time. I would highly advise to get all your 700 actions looked at. With all the ammo we shoot, it was be a waste not to get the full potential out of your rifle. My 700p action will get trued, factory recoil lug with be replaced with a Holland, and the stock barrel will get a match chamber. I expect 1/2moa on the rifle. Project should be done within 2 months, and be done by Joe and technique taught by Randy.

oh another thing, the badger recoil lug is awesome. first time, i could see instantly where the shot went. wish i had a magazine to do follow up shots. next time, i'll post pictures.

two negative things, i don't like about the stock. should come with extra spacers. you would think that they would come with it after spending so much money on the stock. adjustable cheeck piece is too hard, and too smooth. i used my old cheeck pad from my 700p, and it's much better now.

once my uso scope comes in, i'll be developing my scenar loads and transition into mils.

rifle feels a little heavy, and will take some getting used to.

Prc329
12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I told you about that cheek pad. The stock pack I put on mine makes a world of difference. You gotta love that brake. The badger on my old savage was a thing of beauty. All you got was a slight left to right movement.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 12:58 PM
I told you about that cheek pad. The stock pack I put on mine makes a world of difference. You gotta love that brake. The badger on my old savage was a thing of beauty. All you got was a slight left to right movement.

yep, yep brake and cheeck pad made a huge difference.

i was fondling my stick for like hours last night. couldn't wait till i had a chance to shoot it. i shot about 20 rounds. the most satisfying 20 rounds ever. i usually shoot like 50-100 rounds of match ammo, but this time it only took 20 rounds. man o' man, i was smiling all the way home.

Prc329
12-23-2007, 1:11 PM
I'm assuming you put the mark 4 on it correct? I know that Super Sniper wouldn't touch that rifle :D

Cypriss32
12-23-2007, 1:14 PM
Pete Rock GB going on, buy an 6.5mm barrel or an .243 barrel......... If you are gona do all that work to a factory barrel just rebarrel it.
245.00 + 12.00 Shipping!
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413708&fpart=1

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 1:19 PM
I'm assuming you put the mark 4 on it correct? I know that Super Sniper wouldn't touch that rifle :D

for sure, mark 4 went on top. it's a good scope. has some faults, but has good glass and adjustments are clear and precise.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 1:20 PM
Pete Rock GB going on, buy an 6.5mm barrel or an .243 barrel......... If you are gona do all that work to a factory barrel just rebarrel it.
245.00 + 12.00 Shipping!
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=413708&fpart=1

i'm looking to save money for my lathe. new estimated cost on the lathe is now 8.5k so i really need to conserve on the spending as much as i can. thanks for the look out though!

i'm not spending any money on the build except parts like a reamer, go and no go gauges. the only real part for the build with be a holland recoil lug, and i'm going to add a custom muzzle brake which is for free (copy of a vias or badger $3 material cost).

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 5:42 PM
man that Rock barrel group buy is sure sounding pretty good. i might just order one.

rksimple
12-23-2007, 6:57 PM
man that Rock barrel group buy is sure sounding pretty good. i might just order one.

Its tempting. I may get a 6mm barrel just for fun and sit on it for a while. I'm trying to conserve right now and buy components to get me through next year. When my house is done, the payments begin, and my shooting will slow a little. It will be nice to have one solid rifle in 308, with the S&B on top, that can be the workhorse while all of the other projects come online.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 7:08 PM
Its tempting. I may get a 6mm barrel just for fun and sit on it for a while. I'm trying to conserve right now and buy components to get me through next year. When my house is done, the payments begin, and my shooting will slow a little. It will be nice to have one solid rifle in 308, with the S&B on top, that can be the workhorse while all of the other projects come online.

i think that s&b is a good choice. i hear it has better glass than uso.

rksimple
12-23-2007, 7:19 PM
i think that s&b is a good choice. i hear it has better glass than uso.

I've heard the same. But I still love the EREK knob on the USO and wish something similar was available on the S&B. Both are going to be better than I need, but I shouldn't have to worry about it. I just don't want to wait 6 months or so to get the scope. I may send the S&B to PR to get the Gen II XR put in it. I just wish they'd make it a little thicker. Anyway, let me know if Thursday works out for you guys. I got the steel waiting...

Prc329
12-23-2007, 7:21 PM
I'm down just need to go load some rounds tonight :D

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 7:38 PM
shoot i'm down to go shooting. might be the last time i can go mid week shooting in a long, long time. bang bang.

wildcard
12-23-2007, 9:59 PM
Thursday December 27th. Lets do it.

Prc329
12-23-2007, 10:04 PM
Cleared it with the wife. We will be back so lets do it.

rksimple
12-23-2007, 10:15 PM
I'm ready! The place I go is about 5 miles north of the intersection of tehachapi willow springs road (90th st. west) and rosamond blvd. You can mapquest it and see about how long it will take to get there. I'll go early and mark the dirt road to turn off on.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 10:17 PM
yeah yeah. bang bang. i got me 200 rounds ready to go!

so how are we gonna car pool? who's in?

i'm sure Joe would want to shoot with us too.

also, how far can we shoot?

rksimple
12-23-2007, 10:28 PM
You can shoot as far as you want to hike to set up the targets. Or if you pick out rocks about .5 mil in size, they make great targets to. I've set up steel out there to about 900 yards. We could make it 1000 no problem.

PistolPete75
12-23-2007, 10:31 PM
dam, hope my 168s can go that far. that'll sure be a strech for the 168s. anyways, won't know till i try.

Timberwolf
12-23-2007, 11:11 PM
Damn I'm working Wed, Thurs and Friday. Send a few downrange for me.

By the way Pee I've got some spacers and what I believe are the long screws. I'll find out on Thursday r Friday if I'm working this the weekend if you want to come out.

wildcard
12-24-2007, 1:12 AM
yeah yeah. bang bang. i got me 200 rounds ready to go!

so how are we gonna car pool? who's in?

i'm sure Joe would want to shoot with us too.

also, how far can we shoot?

I'm down to carpool! If you don't have that much to carry, you can cram into my ride. But if you got a significant load that can't be stuffed into my car and I can ride with you, I got gas $!

I'll load up 100 rds for this trip.

wildcard
12-24-2007, 1:14 AM
dam, hope my 168s can go that far. that'll sure be a strech for the 168s. anyways, won't know till i try.

They'll reach :) Bring a big piece of cardboard and see for yourself how they group. You can use a small piece of cardboard if you correctly call the wind though!

PistolPete75
12-24-2007, 9:34 AM
we'll they shoot 1000yard consistantly, or do they go a little cookoo at that yardage?

wildcard
12-24-2007, 9:58 AM
1 yard would suck. Think more like 1 foot. It's been a while since I shot at 1K though. Lets put it to the test.

Spdjunkie
12-24-2007, 10:53 AM
"PistolPete75", Congrats on your New R&D Precision Rig !!!

Randy Cain's work @ R&D Precision is TOP NOTCH, Not Surprised at ALL on the Accuracy & Believe me it only gets Better from here on out :D

Merry Christmas Everyone,
F.T.K.

rksimple
12-24-2007, 3:40 PM
we'll they shoot 1000yard consistantly, or do they go a little cookoo at that yardage?

With the elevation up here, they should do OK to 1k. At sea level, its iffy, depending on MV.