PDA

View Full Version : calguns 1911 grips input

lawnrevenge
12-21-2007, 11:49 PM
I found some beautiful lacewood at the local specialty lumber yard this week. I was thinking how nice a set of grips from it would be. But I'd need to buy the whole length of it (10') That seems to be about 20 sets of grips.

I was thinking of making some nice looking ones with the calguns logo woodburned on the side and finishing them in light, dark, and clear finishes.

The problem is that I don't have 20 1911's :(

So I'm testing the waters to see if anyone would be interested in a pair.
I think the cost would be about $20 depending on the cost fo the wood when I get it.

Also, which style, fine lace or big lace?
http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/scans/lacewood_aus.jpg
http://www.woodfinder.com/woods/scans/lacewood.jpg

I want to see if people would be interested before I buy wood or anything.

The time frame for delivery would be about 2-4 weeks from start.

lawnrevenge
12-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Here's a quick photoshop mock-up Imagine that the grey is black and the detail is higher. I just threw this together to give a rough idea of my concept. I'll have a real example made from wood I already have before I try and sell the lacewood variety.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee274/lawnrevenge/1911lace.jpg

jumbopanda
12-22-2007, 1:15 AM
Sounds interesting. $20 isn't much money at all so I don't think you'd have trouble selling them for that price.

tankerman
12-22-2007, 6:41 AM
How were you planning to cut the CG symbol. I may be interested if it's burned in the stocks. Not a big fan of the stamped look or paint coloring

jmlivingston
12-22-2007, 6:45 AM
Maybe it's time for me to buy a 1911!

colossians323
12-22-2007, 7:40 AM
I would take a couple.
I think dressing up guns for a man is akin to a girls and barbies (not to offend any of the men who dress up barbies)
ETA The big lace

What Just Happened?
12-22-2007, 7:59 AM
I like the small lace. When you make these, put me down for one set.

lawnrevenge
12-22-2007, 9:45 PM
Sorry to take long answering.
I was out at the range today :)

The logo would be wood burned. Not stamped or painted, that would rub off and look terrible.

From the poll, it looks like these may be a go after all. I'm just waiting from Kestryll to see if he's okay with me selling something with the calguns logo...

redneckshootist
12-22-2007, 9:49 PM
I would buy a set.

ARRRR-15
12-22-2007, 11:21 PM
Maybe it's time for me to buy a 1911!

Are you telling me your a "gun nut" and don't have a 1911.:confused::)

sammy
12-23-2007, 6:34 AM
I am in for a set of fine lace. PM me for payment info when you have them ready to ship!!! Sammy

tenpercentfirearms
12-23-2007, 6:53 AM
Be forwarned. Everyone will say they want something with calguns on it, until you make it, then they change their mind. I know from personal experience.

tankerman
12-23-2007, 7:02 AM
Be forwarned. Everyone will say they want something with calguns on it, until you make it, then they change their mind. I know from personal experience.
I have purchase CG gear from you. I think the difference here is he's not looking to make or buy several hundred of these grips the price is low and does not require DROS, signed 10% legal waivers, costly shipping or transfer fees.

Put me down for 1 set. Where should I send the money?

tenpercentfirearms
12-23-2007, 7:18 AM
I have purchase CG gear from you. I think the difference here is he's not looking to make or buy several hundred of these grips the price is low and does not require DROS, signed 10% legal waivers, costly shipping or transfer fees.

Put me down for 1 set. Where should I send the money?

I hope you are right. Ask the T-shirt and hat guy how his calguns sales are going. If I remember right, not as well as he hoped.

So I guess all I am saying is keep the number you make as few as possible. If they do well and you run out, you can always make more.

ivanimal
12-23-2007, 7:30 AM
Id buy one of each.

Can'thavenuthingood
12-23-2007, 8:23 AM
[QUOTE][
/QUOTE]

Roger that.

Vick

Max-the-Silent
12-23-2007, 9:01 AM
Nice wood, but I'm not a logo kind of guy.

lawnrevenge
12-23-2007, 9:52 AM
I'll make up the grips with the logo as an option. If you want it I'll burn it, if not I'll omit it. That way if sales are luke warm here I'll look to ebay to move the rest.

Anyway. I'll buy the wood after the holidays and once I have the first set done and photo's taken I'll put where to send money (paypal) and give an ETA for when they'll be ready.

PLEASE DON'T TRY AND BUY SOME UNTIL I GET THE PROTOTYPE POSTED IN THE SALES AREA OF THE FORUM, THIS WAS A TESTING THE WATER'S THREAD, AND IT LOOKS LIKE I'LL BE MAKING THESE.

What Just Happened?
12-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Please do IM those who have responded when you do post the prototypes and the put the grips up for sale.

wayoutwest
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I wood be in for one set

either type

lawnrevenge
12-23-2007, 10:21 AM
I'll be sure to. I will make a list of those who have said they want one, PM them and give them first dibs.

Sonce the vote for big and small grain is balanced I will buy the best looking wood regardless of grain size and if there is still enough demand I'll go with the other size.

.22guy
12-23-2007, 10:56 AM
I'm in for a fine grain set. Let me know.

ar15barrels
12-23-2007, 5:49 PM
Be forwarned.
Everyone will say they want something with calguns on it, until you make it, then they change their mind.
I know from personal experience.

It's not just things with calguns logos.
It's internet buyers in general.
If you ask "would you buy product X?" and you get 100 positive replies, you should safely bet on actually selling 20 of product X.

If you want to know who the REAL buyers are, take deposits.
Only REAL buyers will give a deposit.;)

colossians323
12-23-2007, 6:14 PM
It's not just things with calguns logos.
It's internet buyers in general.
If you ask "would you buy product X?" and you get 100 positive replies, you should safely bet on actually selling 20 of product X.

If you want to know who the REAL buyers are, take deposits.
Only REAL buyers will give a deposit.;)

This is always true whether on the internet or not.
YOu come up with an idea, express it, find interest, complete project, interest disappears.

Some people do have integrity, and stand by what they post, but most just disappear.

Plus 1000 on the deposit. Real buyers will put down a deposit.

s u b k 0 r
12-23-2007, 7:21 PM
I'd love a set of each but without seeing the craftsmanship of the finished product I won't commit regardless of price. "Woodburned calguns logo" sounds like a scout project.. Will they be cut for ambi safety? Available in slim profile? So far I'm reading "hey I found some neat wood, wanna buy grips!"

just sayin :)

tankerman
12-23-2007, 7:34 PM
I'd love a set of each but without seeing the craftsmanship of the finished product I won't commit regardless of price. "Woodburned calguns logo" sounds like a scout project.. Will they be cut for ambi safety? Available in slim profile? So far I'm reading "hey I found some neat wood, wanna buy grips!"

just sayin :)
I'm looking at them more as a novelty, not as a serious gun part.

lawnrevenge
12-23-2007, 9:35 PM

At the moment there will be one or the other with a possibility of a second run of the other. Since preference is equal (close to it) I will pick the best wood regardless of grain size. If I do a second run it will be the other option to give others that option too.

Well since it's going to be a limited run of 20+/- depending on the amount of wood I buy, I will be able to customize grips to whatever thickness you want (within reason), if you want ambi safety cut just let me know. I've been woodworking since I was 6 (I'm 25 now) and I will have a set photographed before I start selling. I may make some out of some ash I have from a project I just completed as an example before I buy the lacewood. (If people want ash grips I can sell those too, but I dislike the look of ash.)

The calguns logo will cost me $70 to get made up so there has to be a want for the logo or I'll not bother, I wouldn't try and freehand the logos (then it would look like a scout project) it will be with a custom wood branding iron.

I'm not going to ask for deposits. Once I have an example of my product posted it will speak for it's self. And anyone willing to drive out to Yucaipa can inspect them in person.

Also I hope that you use the grips as intended, not only because they are nice looking grips, but because they will advertise CALGUNS. I hope my grips will be taken as a serious item and not just a novelty.

s u b k 0 r
12-23-2007, 9:47 PM
I've been woodworking since I was 6 (I'm 25 now) and I will have a set photographed before I start selling. I may make some out of some ash I have from a project I just completed as an example before I buy the lacewood. (If people want ash grips I can sell those too, but I dislike the look of ash.)

The calguns logo will cost me $70 to get made up so there has to be a want for the logo or I'll not bother, I wouldn't try and freehand the logos (then it would look like a scout project) it will be with a custom wood branding iron.

The initial post didn't mention your woodworking skills or that they would be done with and actual branding iron type die thing - they're sounding better already :) Any access to lasercutting or CNC stuff?

Also I hope that you use the grips as intended, not only because they are nice looking grips, but because they will advertise CALGUNS. I hope my grips will be taken as a serious item and not just a novelty.

I certainly wouldn't consider 'em a novelty even if swappin 1911 grips feels like dressin a barbie sometimes :D

lawnrevenge
12-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Any access to lasercutting or CNC stuff?

If I had access to that stuff I'd probably be offering more styles of grips. At the moment I'm trying to keep it simple...

No joke, the hardest thing will be branding a curved grip. But it should look good.

I've got plans for a cnc mill later on but those are too expensive for me at the moment.

I should also mention that my father has been wood working for over 50 years and he'll be lending a hand (due to the fact that retirement is "boring")

I'm going to have a simple list of options...
thickness (standard or thin, maybe even thick if someone has huge hands)
with or without calguns logo
stain choice (dark, light, clear coat, linseed oil, tung oil, in the raw if you want to so your own)
ambi safety
lanyard cut

They will be serial numbered (on the inside) 001-020
I've got to get a price on wood later this week and order the brand but $20 each w/ shipping looks do-able.

sned45
12-24-2007, 1:29 PM
count me in for 2 or 3 sets.

highspeed11
12-24-2007, 3:18 PM
Subscribe.

T-Bear
12-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Tagged,
Would be up for a nice custom made set with thickness.

RANGER295
12-25-2007, 11:58 AM
I voted for the large lace before I realized that it was asking if you wanted to buy one. I was just saying I liked it better. Here is a picture of one of my 1911’s with a set of lacewood grips that I made on it.
http://i9.tinypic.com/30925mt.jpg
I have found with lacewood that the depth is best brought out with a clear finish. I have experimented with different oils and the darker it is, the less depth. Also the first set I made got gouged up pretty good because lacewood is very soft. They need some kind of hard finish. I like MinWax (sp?) wipe on poly in a satin. I also have some that I made out of purpleheart. I will try to post a picture later.

lawnrevenge
12-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the input Ranger295 I'm going to look into prices of wood this week.

lawnrevenge
12-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks to a few factors this project is on hold...
I don't have the time to invest right now, and will classes starting up again I will have to put this on hold until summer.