PDA

View Full Version : hunting in Pine Valley Wilderness/ Descanso district/ Cleveland National Forest.

california wolverine
12-21-2007, 6:25 PM
Hi ya folks, I am New to SoCal and was planning a 4 day hunting trip to the Pine Valley wilderness in the Cleveland NF in Jan Was wondering if anyone has hunted there? I am going for Jacks and Varmints, maybe Turkey in the season. Any info on that area would be much appreciated. Thanks and Good hunting to you all.
PS If'n any of you all want to go and show me around that'd be real nice. Thanks.

damon1272
12-21-2007, 7:01 PM
You may want to check that those areas did not burn in the last wild fires. I think you will be ok if you are hunting north of the 8. South of the 8 burn pretty good. Check out the kitchen creek and the huaser wilderness area.

emc002
12-22-2007, 10:59 AM
I lived in Alpine for 5 years and hunted most of the National Forest north of 8 on either side of the Sunrise Highway.
Let me know what you're looking to hunt and I would be happy to help if I can.
I mainly bowhunted deer, both Archery Only pre-season and the either sex antleress hunt after season (Thanksgiving to January 31).

california wolverine
12-22-2007, 5:51 PM
Going mostly for rabbits and non game animals. I am thinking about turkey too. wouldn't mind going for a deer though. How come there's no pig down here? I'll check on the burn condition Monday and let you all know. the web site says its open but you have to confirm things. Thanks

acousticmood
12-22-2007, 6:59 PM
Shameless tag.

emc002
12-22-2007, 11:09 PM
Well, you'll be in luck for varmits.
Only caveat here is I haven't lived there since 2002, so don't know about the latest fire, but my hunting area was spared in the 2000 and 2003 fires.

My preferred areas were on S1 aka Sunrise Highway.
Its been so long, I forget exactly where to park, but here are some guidelines:
There is a U-Shaped side dirt road, on the east side of S1, maybe 300 feet long, south of an informational kiosk on S1. The kiosk is on the east side of S1.
There are trails, not official trails, from this point that that can take to to the big meadow south of Big Laguna Lake. Good varmit hunting there.
You can also look for the Nobel Trailhead off of S1 and park near that. There will be less hikers on the east side, but pickings are slimmer. Never got a deer on that side.
If you hunt the west side near the Nobel Trailhead, be cautious, there are lots of hikers and mtn. bikers in the area and they don't stay on trails always. Know where your shots are going.
Varmit hunting will be very good around Big Laguna Lake, deer hunting best in the meadow south of the lake, and sometimes in the meadow northeast of the lake.

Be sure to get your parking permit from the Ranger station in Alpine! Its only $5 and the ticket is $35 (last time I was there).

No pig hunting, but you can hunt javelina in Jamul or Descanso if your willing. I bowhunted and those bastards pack up too much for me to feel safe hunting with a bow.

Oh yeah, turkey? You're pretty screwed. Only one season in San Diego (unless that's changed too) and pickings are slim. Try around Mt. Palomar if you can get access to some land.

I'll answer more questions if you got them, I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
Also, if you don't live close to East County, I'd recommend staying in the Burnt Rancheria campground; it's nice and quiet.

Good luck!

california wolverine
12-23-2007, 1:55 PM
Thanks EmC. I'll let you know how the scouting trip goes.

Fjold
12-23-2007, 3:29 PM
Fall turkey season was November 11-26 and there is no fall season in San Diego County.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/06-07-wf-uplnd-lands-regs.pdf

Rumpled
12-23-2007, 4:56 PM
No pig hunting, but you can hunt javelina in Jamul or Descanso if your willing. I bowhunted and those bastards pack up too much for me to feel safe hunting with a bow.

Got more on that?
I've never heard of them in CA before.

emc002
12-23-2007, 5:10 PM
Got more on that?
I've never heard of them in CA before.

Not too common, but southeast corner of of California (Imperial County) and I've see them near Loveland Reservoir in Jamul (I did a couple projects for the water district that owns the lake) and in Dulzura as well.

Closer to Mexico or Arizona, the better your luck for Javelina.

GuyW
02-03-2008, 5:15 PM
Not too common, but southeast corner of of California (Imperial County) and I've see them near Loveland Reservoir in Jamul (I did a couple projects for the water district that owns the lake) and in Dulzura as well.

Closer to Mexico or Arizona, the better your luck for Javelina.

I heard yesterday from a reputable source, that javelinas have been released on 2 Indian reservations (they don't have to do EIRs and listen to the eco-nutz squeal)....

emc002
02-03-2008, 8:09 PM
I heard yesterday from a reputable source, that javelinas have been released on 2 Indian reservations (they don't have to do EIRs and listen to the eco-nutz squeal)....

Hmmm, possible. I still own 40 acres just above Viejas and usally take the long winding road through the Reservation (the one bounded by white post & rail fence) to get there and alwasy see lots of exotic animals (penned / fenced, not loose).
Do you know which Reservation? Sycuan, Barona, Viejas, or that one between Oceanside/Escondido?

GuyW
02-03-2008, 9:29 PM
They were east country rez, I didn't pay close enough attention...but I could follow up...

emc002
02-04-2008, 7:23 AM
They were east country rez, I didn't pay close enough attention...but I could follow up...

Well that narrows it down to the three I named with Viejas being the most east county. (Unless you count that one in Imperial County, way in the middle of BFE.) I'll make some calls to people I still know in the area...

GuyW
02-25-2008, 6:06 PM
"Wild pigs

Rumors have been circulating that javelina, the pig-like game animals found in Arizona have been spotted in areas around El Capitan Reservoir near Alpine.

Randy Botta, a California Department of Fish and Game wildlife biologist, says that pigs have been spotted in that area, but they are not javelina.

"A member of the Capitan Grande Indian Reservation, or at least someone who lives on the reservation, apparently did release domestic pigs on reservation land in the San Diego River drainage bottom approximately a year-and-a-half ago," Botta said.

He said he has had sighting reports as well as reports of tracks. Feral pigs do adapt quite well to a natural environment and can become large and aggressive."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/02/21/sports/outdoors/f4f377298e7e9b69882573f5001eb388.txt

damon1272
02-25-2008, 7:33 PM
One of the reservations was La Posta. They pigs were Russian Boar according to reports in the UT and a second hand conversation I had with a friend. It would be nice to see a pig population in SD.

GuyW
08-11-2010, 12:38 PM
Huntable pig populations in San Diego County - good article...

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2010/aug/04/cover/

rumblebee
08-11-2010, 3:17 PM
This part kills me-

A few days back, Marc phoned the California Department of Fish and Game and requested a good spot on public land where we might encounter pig. He was told that groups of 20 to 30 feral pigs had been spotted in the backcountry of the Cleveland National Forest, south of Julian and east of Ramona, in the backcountry canyons of the San Diego River.

I've made calls into the DFG to get clarification on hunting areas\legalities and NEVER heard a damn thing back... This guy can call up and get spotting services....cool. Maybe he brings them pie??? :confused:

DirtyDave
08-11-2010, 4:07 PM
This part kills me-

A few days back, Marc phoned the California Department of Fish and Game and requested a good spot on public land where we might encounter pig. He was told that groups of 20 to 30 feral pigs had been spotted in the backcountry of the Cleveland National Forest, south of Julian and east of Ramona, in the backcountry canyons of the San Diego River.

I've made calls into the DFG to get clarification on hunting areas\legalities and NEVER heard a damn thing back... This guy can call up and get spotting services....cool. Maybe he brings them pie??? :confused:

Marc might be a DFG employee....

spectr17
08-11-2010, 5:28 PM
Fall turkey season was November 11-26 and there is no fall season in San Diego County.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/06-07-wf-uplnd-lands-regs.pdf

Unless there was a change from DFG this year, fall turkey season is a GO in San Deigo. We lobbied for the change 2 years ago and the hunters did okay last year there. Some objected saying the hens might take a hit and the population might suffer but so far the jury is out on how the fall hunt has affected the birds in that area.

spectr17
08-11-2010, 5:31 PM

From all the wardens and DFG biologists I talk to this is the first I've heard of javelina in CA. Any source for that? Pics?

Baxter
08-11-2010, 6:30 PM
He is confusing boars and javelina. Also there are two turkey seasons in SD now, finally.

rumblebee
08-11-2010, 7:01 PM
I don't think Marc works for DFG...but, anything is possible...

A computer programmer who is rebuilding his home with solar panels on the roof, Marc is “hooked on hunting.” Out in the grand quietude of the Cleveland National Forest, waiting for boars, he likes to contemplate his fate.

But...looks like DGF is directing some poeple there

Their unchecked propagation has stirred the U.S. Forest Service and California Fish and Game to direct hunters to access points where pigs can be “harvested” (the kindly term) on public land

I just want a contact\spotter at the DFG. I'm ok with stopping by and dropping off pie :D