PDA

View Full Version : Need Shotgun Gunsmith

sbg357
12-18-2007, 6:22 PM
I'm hoping you guy's can help me out. I recently purchased a Mossberg youth model shotgun for my son. Action is pretty lousy and so is the trigger. Are there any good shotgun gunsmiths in the LA/Orange county area?

sargenv
12-18-2007, 6:51 PM
There probably isn't much a gunsmith can do for a Mossberg. It's an inexpensive firearm that will likely get better as it is used. I have a Mossy 500 that was rough out of the box, but all these years later, and hundreds if not thousands of rounds later has worn it in to where it's pretty quick to cycle and use. Proper lubrication and repeated use is the best thing you can do for it in all likelihood.

YMMV as usual :)

Utha Schleigle
12-18-2007, 8:51 PM
Not sure but Cliff's Gun Smithing or Bolsa gunsmithing.

Is the trigger too stiff or rough. Too rough you can fix. I would not lighten the trigger if it has under 500 rounds. Rough edges on cast parts will wear together along with stamped parts as it is fired. Most guns are made a little too tight so after 1000 rounds they are blammed and torqed into perfect working order.

Use the release level to unlock action I would not drie fire 1000 times. Work trigger with telflon/graphite snap caps.

If there is a certain point where the action chokes up look at what the action is doing and put teflon and pencil graphite on these pieces. A dropp or two of oil and then rub the pencil graphite on offending point. Jack action with graphite only 25 times. Graphite is an an abrasive and should not stay in gun any longer than it take to smooth these pieces. Wipe out and make sure it is not over loaded with oil.

Check to see if the arms that lead fron the pump handle bind or not even with the nut that holds them to the tube that runs up down the mag tube.

Clean it and teflon lube it, then jack the action aprox 150 times. Spray more Slick 50 or Triflow is the best and jack another 150 times. Make sure that this oil is wiped off and out of action and chamber/barrel by taking it apart again and wiping it down before firing or storage.

Oh ya - might want to unload gun:eek:

kicker72
12-19-2007, 1:40 AM
Bob Day R&D Custom he is in Pico Rivera. Just east of LA. Website is below
http://americhoke.com/

metalhead357
12-19-2007, 7:35 AM
I'm with Utha with one small difference. I'd wipe the action bone clean and dry with NO lube on the gun and rack the action (empty gun) until it wears in/wears down.... Clean it again and THEN lube it up. Lubing before the wearing-in action is actually making the break in process take longer.

Trigger? ya' got me..... short of trying the same, I dont think I've ever run across a thread of anyone doing mossy triggers.

STIforme
12-20-2007, 1:42 PM
Rob Melhorn in SFV.
He has gained a reputation for working on Benelli shotguns for USPSA three gun matches. I am not sure if he will work on a Mossberg but it is worth a try. He does action and trigger jobs that are smooth as silk. He is usually backed up a month or so. If his work is good enough for Grand Master level competitors it should be OK for you :D I am not sure if you are willing to spend the money that may run you as much as your shotgun. On a competition Benelli it makes sense, on a Mossberg?, it is your call!
PM me if you want his contact info.

rorschach
12-20-2007, 3:02 PM
Bain and Davis in San Gabriel