PDA

View Full Version : trigger locks in safes?

savasyn
12-18-2007, 2:51 PM
For years I only had locking gun cabinets so as an extra measure of protection, I always left trigger locks on all my guns. This year I bought a Sentry safe and while far better than a cabinet, it's still not what most people consider safe, so I continued to keep trigger locks on them. Why? If for no other reason, if they manage to break into the safe, they'll be more likely to take the guns elsewhere to pry off the trigger locks rather than having a functional firearm in my house.

I recently got a Fort Knox Defender series safe and have moved all my pistols over there. They are a bit awkward to store with locks on them so I'm considering taking them off. Is this safe "safe enough" to not have to worry about "average thug" being able to get into it with common tools? I don't really expect any pro safe crackers to be breaking in. If they did, there's nothing that'll stop them anyway(assuming we aren't home.)

Anyone know of anyone that has had a Defender broken into?

Thanks!

DedEye
12-18-2007, 3:23 PM
they'll be more likely to take the guns elsewhere to pry off the trigger locks rather than having a functional firearm in my house.

Unless they brought a pair of bolt cutters with them :eek:.

Unless you work for the American Department of Redundancy Department of America, just teh safe should be fine.

mike100
12-18-2007, 3:59 PM
If the safe meets the DOJ criteria, then it is a legal substitute for the trigger lock as a safe means of storage.

If a guy can tear open your safe, do you really think that he will give up when he sees some cheesy 69 cent trigger locks?

Sheldon
12-18-2007, 4:13 PM
A safe is safe enough for me. It would be slow enough getting a firearm out of the safe myself and I would hate to have to then fumble with a trigger lock if I ever had to get to one in a hurry.

rue
12-18-2007, 4:32 PM
I think it that locking them all together with cable locks would further make it harder to move them all at once provided he doesn't have a pair of bolt cutters. I'm saving for a real safe myself from Liberty Safes.

ar15barrels
12-18-2007, 4:40 PM
I recently got a Fort Knox Defender series safe and have moved all my pistols over there. They are a bit awkward to store with locks on them so I'm considering taking them off. Is this safe "safe enough" to not have to worry about "average thug" being able to get into it with common tools?

Don't make me laugh at you...

doh, too late.
:rofl2:

chiefcrash
12-18-2007, 4:46 PM
If it'll make you feel better, a lot of thieves just make off with your whole SAFE, and crack it open later...

:D

(happened to my uncle. they just tore out a wall to get the safe out of the top floor of his 3 level house...)

savasyn
12-18-2007, 5:09 PM
Don't make me laugh at you...

doh, too late.
:rofl2:

I thought the same thing until I went to buy one and saw what they are made of. 10 gauge steel isn't all that thick. I bet if you went at it with a grinder, the 2" of drywall inside will protect the contents from the heat you'd be generating.

Someone foolish enough to attack the door would probably give up after a while, but getting in the side probably isn't that hard if you have time to work.

(happened to my uncle. they just tore out a wall to get the safe out of the top floor of his 3 level house...)

That's where mine is. I watched them haul it up. It's be really tough to move without the same device the installers have.

ar15barrels
12-18-2007, 5:17 PM
I thought the same thing until I went to buy one and saw what they are made of. 10 gauge steel isn't all that thick. I bet if you went at it with a grinder, the 2" of drywall inside will protect the contents from the heat you'd be generating.

I'm well aware of how thick the steel is and what it takes to cut into it.
I have seen safes that were cut open in such manner.
You make two big cuts, one down the side, near the front and one across the top.
Pry the whole front end open and reach in to remove the contents.

Is this safe "safe enough" to not have to worry about "average thug" being able to get into it with common tools?

A grinder is not a "common hand tool", it's a "power tool".
Wrenches, screwdrivers and hammers are "common hand tools".

savasyn
12-18-2007, 5:32 PM
A grinder is not a "common hand tool", it's a "power tool".
Wrenches, screwdrivers and hammers are "common hand tools".

Fair enough on the distinction in tools. I guess a grinder would be more special purpose oriented. However, a grinder would be more common than one of those Robo-Pry/Jaws-of-Life type things that'll supposedly open safes up like beer cans.

I bet even the Sentry safes hold up pretty well to the hand tools you listed. Maybe even a 3' crowbar, too.

savasyn
12-18-2007, 6:00 PM
I took off all the trigger locks and, as hoped, they fit WAY better. There even just enough room for the three other pistols that'll be coming home in the next two weeks :)

metalhead357
12-18-2007, 6:11 PM
ok- here we go; *SAFE* guns 101

Disassemble gun, put slide in one safe-
put the frame WITH trigger lock in 2nd safe.

Put both smaller safes into larger safe.

Now did hole 23 feet deep X 8 feet wide;
Pour concrete footer 6 feet deep.

Mount larger safe to concrete pad.

Back fill

Lay housing foundation down.

Build 3 story 8 room house atop foundation.
And guess what-- YOU STILL AINT SAFE. If somebody wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it.

But short of the route mentioned above--- I think you're fine WITHOUT the trigger locks

:p

savasyn
12-18-2007, 6:39 PM
ok- here we go; *SAFE* guns 101

Disassemble gun, put slide in one safe-
put the frame WITH trigger lock in 2nd safe.

Put both smaller safes into larger safe.

Now did hole 23 feet deep X 8 feet wide;
Pour concrete footer 6 feet deep.

Mount larger safe to concrete pad.

Back fill

Lay housing foundation down.

Build 3 story 8 room house atop foundation.
And guess what-- YOU STILL AINT SAFE. If somebody wants it bad enough they will find a way to get it.

But short of the route mentioned above--- I think you're fine WITHOUT the trigger locks

:p

What's sad, is that the extreme method you "suggested" might not be considered "CADOJ approved". It would depend on the type of safes and trigger locks used, but the hole and concrete thing aren't able to be reused. Doh!! :eek:
Guess they didn't take that into consideration when they wrote their dumb law.

tenpercentfirearms
12-20-2007, 4:54 PM
Man I thought I was being safe enough by not leaving a round in the chamber of my house guns. You mean I ought to lock them up or put the in my safe? Blasphemy!