View Full Version : Turner's-Checking out the various stores.-LONG POST

12-17-2007, 10:56 PM
I'm on Winter Break until Jan 2nd and I happen to have jury duty. I'm on call so I have to call in every day to see if I have to report. Bad thing is, I can't really go on vacation. Good thing is, if I don't have to report for jury duty, my entire day is free.

Yesterday, I took my wife to a baby shower in West Covina. I went to Turner's. They had some nice guns on consignment. Sig 220 for $549 in the box with 2 mags. About 80% finish left, but barrel and breech were in great shape. Colt Police Positive I wanted to look at was sold that day.

If you have a K31, they had 9 boxes of Wolf Gold at $16.99 a box. Not a great deal, but not too bad either. I bought 3 boxes.

They have Kel-Tec SU-16A's on sale for $439 but don't have any in stock, so they were pushing the Bravo and CA models. One sales guy was really spewing a sales pitch on two noobs.

"This gun is great. It's the best of both worlds-Kalashnikov gas system and M-16 lower system. It's the only way you can use M-16 magazines in a rifle. No pistol grip."

"Do you like to backpack? Watch this." So he pushes out the pin and folds the rifle in half, then opens it back up. "Now you're lethal again. This thing is lethal. Got bears? Works even better on two-legged types. Killed lots of people in Vietnam."

There was even more entertainment on my side of the counter. There was a guy asking questions about every semi-auto pistol in the case.

"Who makes this Bersa? Is that a good gun? I used to have one, I think. It's a 9 millimeter, right? What's a Walther? It says '9mm'. That's good , right?"

Sales guy: "It's James Bonds' gun."

"Oh yeah. I remember. So they make good guns in England?"

Sales guy: "Walther is German, but this gun is made by Smith and Wesson."

"Yeah, it says 9mm Kurtz. That's German. So it's the same as this Luger."

Sales guy: "No, the Walther is a .380 and the Luger is a 9mm parabellum."

"But this Walther P-1 tag says '9mm Luger'. It's not a Luger?

Sales guy: "9mm Luger and 9mm parabellum are the same."

"But you said Walther is German and 9mm Kurtz is German and the P-1 Walther is 9mm Luger but the Luger is 9mm parabellum?"

This sales guy was being very patient. I had to leave so I went to the register and paid for my 7.5 X 55 Swiss ammo.

Monday I headed out to Reseda. My 10 days were up for a PPT last week, but never had a chance to pick up my rifle. While I was waiting, an elderly gentleman walks up with a paper bag and pulls out two boxes.

A blue Smith and Wesson Model 19 with a 2 1/2 inch barrel is taken out of the 2-piece blue cardboard box. It looks immaculate. Out of the other box comes two pieces of styrofoam holding a Browning Hi-Power. I think it's nickel. I don't get a good look at it, but it also appears to be in mint condition. He wants to sell them.

Sales guy: "We can put them on consignment. We can list the Smith at $400. We can take the Browning but not the magazines."

"So if you sell it for $400 I get $320. What if you buy them from me?"

Sales guy: "We can't buy them. They aren't on the list."

"What list?"

Sales guy: "The California approved list."

Old guy frowns. "But I want to buy another gun. A 686."

Sales guy: "Sorry, but we can't take them in trade."

I walk over to another sales guy next to a shelf of used guns. They are all on consignment. Husband died. Widow is selling off guns. 21 of them. Lots of Ruger single-actions. Vaquero's in .357, 44 mag, 45 colt. Blackhawks in 45 colt. Single six. Sig 225, cheap Smith autos. Can't recall details.

I finally got my rifle and left. Don't know what the old guy finally decided to do with his guns, but if he left them for consignment, there's a mint Model 19 at Turner's in Reseda for 400 bucks.

Not sure which Turner's I'll hit next. If I have time, Signal Hill and Redondo Beach are on my list. If not, Pasadena is close by.

NRA Life Member

12-17-2007, 11:22 PM
I visited pasadena on black friday, there was a really helpful clerk there. Really seemed to know what he was talking about. I wish I could've bought something right then.

The SoCal Gunner
12-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Were you in the West Covina store on Monday or Sunday? I swear I heard the same thing about "this is James Bond gun" when I was in there Sunday around 5-6. There was also a guy who was looking at a bunch of guns saying his 'buddy' owns a gun shop but seemed like he didn't know much about them.

12-18-2007, 1:08 AM
I've been to all Turners locations except the ones in the San Diego area. Don't worry about that Colt, it was slightly out of time. Gunshop banter is hilarious, even my novice gun owner neighbor gets a kick out all the Walter Mitty behavior at Turners both by customers and the help.

Reseda seems to get a lot of interesting consignments and I saw all the ones you mentioned, but I've had terrible experiences there and I live too far to hit that store very often. One of the few FFLs left in the La city limits so they must get in a lot of widows guns. Chino Hills is huge and has the expensive gun room. Norwalk is close to me but they seem to like to price the consignment guns very high.

Fountain Valley is nice but I've had an employee admit to me he calls a friend to get all the good deal or interesting consignment guns. Sure it happens at the others as well.

12-18-2007, 8:17 AM
That's the same guy. I was in there on Sunday between 4 and 5:30. I think the guy was wearing a blue shirt and shorts.

I'm a short asian guy with glasses and a beard. My 12 year-old son was playing around with the fishing gear.

NRA Life Member

Were you in the West Covina store on Monday or Sunday? I swear I heard the same thing about "this is James Bond gun" when I was in there Sunday around 5-6. There was also a guy who was looking at a bunch of guns saying his 'buddy' owns a gun shop but seemed like he didn't know much about them.