PDA

View Full Version : "I Am Legend" movie

Rivers
12-17-2007, 9:03 AM
I caught this at the theater last week and am a bit amazed at the box office results. Honestly, it's "good" but definitely not great. On the plus side, it offers CalGunners validation that our preparedness against zombie attacks is the right approach.

About the movie, in short, it's an updated remake of the 1971 "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston and Anthony Zerbe. Close, but the original is better. The mutants in "Legend" are more like rabid zombies on adrenaline. Very fast, amazingly acrobatic and with serious drooling issues. Hygiene is not their strongpoint.

What bothers me about how "Legend" is played out. For example, the lead character is a Colonel in the Army, presumably with weapons and related military training (plus being a medical doctor), in a large city (OK, it's NYC but it's also a decade from now and Bloomberg is not in office.) He would logically have his choice of weapons from any stockpile. Heck, he could even go to his own armory for the picks of the litter. But what does "Legend" use when he goes zombie hunting? A rifle, leaving his pistol in his vehicle. He doesn't even carry his pistol in a side holster!

There is a lot of close-quarter room clearing in the dark. In his own home/fortress, when he's under invasion, he primarily uses his rifle! Only after being launched down his staircase by a zombie does he grab his 12 gauge, conveniently stored in what appeared to be an umbrella bucket! And not even a tactical light on the shotgun!

So really, just who chose what weapons for each scene?!!! It wouldn't have made a huge difference except, cinematically, that the shotgun would make much more dramatic holes in doorframes and zombies alike.

Is it just me or do these lapses irritate you too?

Nefarious
12-17-2007, 9:08 AM
Theres a thread in the off topic section about this movie

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=78826

Rivers
12-17-2007, 9:17 AM
That's my point. For someone who should know better, it really appeared that they used largely inappropriate weapons for many scenes. Shouldn't someone with military training know better? Or are those the weapons you would have used in those scenarios?

Prc329
12-17-2007, 10:08 AM
The only use for a pistol in those situations is to fight to your rifle.

MudCamper
12-17-2007, 10:10 AM
About the movie, in short, it's an updated remake of the 1971 "Omega Man" with Charlton Heston and Anthony Zerbe.

Actually "Omega Man" was based on the book "I Am Legend". I read it when I was a kid.

Nefarious
12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Its a movie made in (anti-gun) hollywierd. They know or care about the gun play. Their stupidity and lack of knowledge is evident in the Last Bourne movie. In one science he is holding a clock to the doctors head, one science laterhe is now holding a Sig 22x series.

Their editors dont know and dont care about the gun play. Do you really think Dick Dye or another military consultant was on the set and in the editing room?

I dont know what you have against science or clocks. :D

What Just Happened?
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
Yes, a pistol would have been nice to have holstered at your side. Especially when he got snared. But I would rather have a carbine with me when clearing a building. And since he doesn't have to worry about over-penetration, why not use a carbine? Yes, it's longer, but when you factor in your extended arms with the pistol, it's not that much longer.

SJshooter
12-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Forget the guns - I want to know where the weeds in Times Square are growing from? The sewer? And how does the Vermont survivor get onto Manhattan island once all the bridges are blown out? Did she swim?

slick_711
12-17-2007, 11:29 AM
The only use for a pistol in those situations is to fight to your rifle.

I haven't seen it yet so I'm going to stop reading this thread, but +1. A pistol is for when you don't have a rifle or are fighting your way to it. A compact AR is perfectly suited to CQB, and no trained fighter would transition to a pistol just to be more compact and lose the firepower of a good rifle.

GenLee
12-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Wow you all beat me to the gun choice questions... But i do agree a good movie.....but not great

What Just Happened?
12-17-2007, 12:44 PM
I think the book was better. I've not read it personally. I've only read the 'graphic novel' which seems to be true to the synopsis given in Wiki. But the whole plot is much better in the (graphic) novel.

MrLogan
12-17-2007, 1:07 PM
A carbine is king in CQB. Pistols are for back up, or to fight your way back to your rifle--as someone else already said.

bigthaiboy
12-17-2007, 1:24 PM
Its a movie made in (anti-gun) hollywierd. They know or care about the gun play. Their stupidity and lack of knowledge is evident in the Last Bourne movie. In one science he is holding a clock to the doctors head, one science later he is now holding a Sig 22x series.

Their editors dont know and dont care about the gun play. Do you really think Dick Dye or another military consultant was on the set and in the editing room?

I'm confused. So Jason Bourne had to remind the doctor that it was time to change from Biology to Chemistry or Physics, by shoving a clock in his face, because the doctor wasn't wearing a watch?

But I honestly cannot remember that scene in the movie. Perhaps, it took place when I had to take a visit to the men's room. Damn, that sounded like a great scene, I love science and s**t. ;)

hitman13
12-17-2007, 1:33 PM
blah blah blah.

who else noticed the ad for a batman and superman movie in 2010?!?!?

bigthaiboy
12-17-2007, 1:38 PM
"I am Legend" was written by Richard Matheson in 1954. It was made into "The Last Man on Earth" starring Vincent Price in 1964 (I caught this movie on late night TV a couple of months ago, and was my reason to go and watch the "I am Legend" adaptation). "The Last Man on Earth" was the closest adaptation to the book. "The Omega Man" made in 1971 and starring Charlton Heston, is such a loose adaption, it almost has very little to do with the book.

532Fastback
12-17-2007, 1:48 PM
He may have not had the right weapons for defending himself but he seemed pretty freaked out when he was in the bank so most likely his mind was in panic mode and he didn't think about using the right weapon for the job. He probably lost all his training to when he started losing his mind from being alone. This is all just my opinion though.

Grouch
12-17-2007, 2:28 PM
Forget the guns - I want to know where the weeds in Times Square are growing from? The sewer? And how does the Vermont survivor get onto Manhattan island once all the bridges are blown out? Did she swim?

You've never seen the palm trees that grow on LA freeways. :p

ohsmily
12-17-2007, 2:39 PM
Its a movie made in (anti-gun) hollywierd. They know or care about the gun play. Their stupidity and lack of knowledge is evident in the Last Bourne movie. In one science he is holding a clock to the doctors head, one science later he is now holding a Sig 22x series.

What are you on?

CalNRA
12-17-2007, 2:54 PM
What are you on?

give the guy a break. He's apparently been on Calguns since 2002 and only has like 9 posts, probably just overly excited to post again.

What Just Happened?
12-17-2007, 3:15 PM
Maybe he has a lisp and some speech-to-text program?

bigthaiboy
12-17-2007, 4:16 PM
Maybe he has a lisp and some speech-to-text program?

:smilielol5:

Nefarious
12-17-2007, 4:30 PM
blah blah blah.

who else noticed the ad for a batman and superman movie in 2010?!?!?

The whole theater did ...

thomasanelson
12-18-2007, 7:49 AM
Working in "the biz", I can tell you that screen writers, Directors and Producers rarely know s**t from shinola. Some are carefull to make things as real as possible and some could care less. The audience doesn't seem to care either. As far as guns go, we have all seen "flaws" with how, why, where, etc. but just image that lack of detail extends to everything (ie. If you are a doctor or clinical scientist, you probably have lots of problems with the way the medical scenes were portrayed.) In Hollywood, we call it poetic license. Time contraints and simplicity of story override reality.

That being said:

Why didn't he have at least one sidearm at all time on his body?
Why didn't he build (or live in a place with) a bunker that was zombie proof?
Why didn't the zombies hear the generators or where did the exaust fumes go if they were inside the house?
Why wasn't his first question to the woman, "Was it still dark when we got back to my house?"
How come the zombies could defy gravity?
Why didn't he take a long (100-300+ yd) shot at the deer?
If he's so worried about cleaning his scent before he enters his house, wouldn't the zombies smell the fresh deer meat in his house, car, clothes, etc.? Or would he BBQ elsewhere? LOL!
etc, etc. etc.

Just a movie......

4 Brigada
12-18-2007, 8:02 AM
Why didn't he take 300 yd+ shots at the deer?

Well, he planned on eating mice thats why he choose a mouse gun as his overall rifle. They looked like little deer in the trailer maybe. If he choose a FAL or M1A there would be 300 yd+ shots. But then the movie plot would suffer and so would the AR type sales

13Delta
12-18-2007, 2:01 PM
he was a officer and a doc at that(nothing against docs) , they dont get much tactical training(one or two days at the range out of a year) , did better than i expected a doc would do. butt as a whole, the movie didnt have much of a story.

What Just Happened?
12-18-2007, 2:55 PM
Read the book. It's got a much better story.

Salty
12-18-2007, 11:59 PM
Did anyone else catch the line when Will Smith's daughter says "Mommy that man has a gun" and the Wife replies "It's ok sweetie, he's in the Army like daddy".

It really stuck out to me, especially being towards the beginning of the movie and before any shooting scenes. I wonder if there was political agenda behind that or if it just got written into the script with out much thought.

Bishop
12-19-2007, 7:47 PM
+1 on the generators inside. I was like "OMFG HE'S GOING TO ASPHYXIATE!" (but then I laughed because I realized it was a movie :p)

Prc329
12-20-2007, 9:42 PM
I gotta get this off my chest before I get mad. I almost couldn't enjoy the movie anymore after the mag ran empty in the M4 he was carrying. None of my guns except for my 686 can do that. That "click, click, click" was irritating beyond all else.

I did like the weapons closet and even though he did have what appeared to be a scout M14 in a Sage I believe his choice in an M4 was justifiable. Much more compact. Anyone else notice he did not have any sort of BUIS? It did not look as if he could co-witness at all or have any sort of BUIS on the acog.

Socal858
12-21-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, he planned on eating mice thats why he choose a mouse gun as his overall rifle. They looked like little deer in the trailer maybe. If he choose a FAL or M1A there would be 300 yd+ shots. But then the movie plot would suffer and so would the AR type sales

because drive bying a deer is probably more fun