PDA

View Full Version : Where to find bottom price brass?

Crazyhorse
12-17-2007, 9:00 AM
Hey guys how do you build up brass? I have like 5 or 6 friends that shoot and I would like to reload for us. The idea would be I put up the money to get a setup going then they pay me cost + a little to reload for them to make up for the cost of the press and gear. We mainly shoot at ranges and are lucky to get 50% of our brass back on the autos, too many end up down range. So with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to build up enough brass to make it work. Do any of the ranges in OC area sell bulk swept brass? Anyone online that does where the shipping isn't going to blow the deal out? I'm not really worried about caliber, we shoot just about everything and the stuff we don't you wouldn't find on the floor often.

ocabj
12-17-2007, 9:07 AM
Hey guys how do you build up brass? I have like 5 or 6 friends that shoot and I would like to reload for us. The idea would be I put up the money to get a setup going then they pay me cost + a little to reload for them to make up for the cost of the press and gear. We mainly shoot at ranges and are lucky to get 50% of our brass back on the autos, too many end up down range. So with that in mind, I'm trying to figure out how the hell I'm going to build up enough brass to make it work. Do any of the ranges in OC area sell bulk swept brass? Anyone online that does where the shipping isn't going to blow the deal out? I'm not really worried about caliber, we shoot just about everything and the stuff we don't you wouldn't find on the floor often.

When you say "too many end up down range", I take it you are shooting at an indoor range where you can't go forward of the line? If that's the case, you could try to build some sort of brass catcher. Either that, or just start shooting at an outdoor range. I'm a brass whore and I hate losing even a single piece of brass, but if you spend a lot of effort trying to adjust your shooting to maximize brass retention, you're hurting your shooting.

As far as buying once fired, just order online. Do a Google search for "once fired brass" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Crazyhorse
12-17-2007, 9:37 AM
When you say "too many end up down range", I take it you are shooting at an indoor range where you can't go forward of the line? If that's the case, you could try to build some sort of brass catcher. Either that, or just start shooting at an outdoor range. I'm a brass whore and I hate losing even a single piece of brass, but if you spend a lot of effort trying to adjust your shooting to maximize brass retention, you're hurting your shooting.

As far as buying once fired, just order online. Do a Google search for "once fired brass" and you'll get plenty of hits.

Yeah mostly indoor. As for brass catchers it might work I just need to figure out how to do it for so many guns. The once fired brass has been the cheapest I've seen so far. Maybe I'll call around to local ranges and see if anyone sells the stuff they sweep.

Thanks,
E

-hanko
12-17-2007, 9:59 AM
... The idea would be I put up the money to get a setup going then they pay me cost + a little to reload for them to make up for the cost of the press and gear.
I'm not an attorney. You might want to consider if money changes hands for loaded bullets, does that make you an ammo manufacturer??...if so, the atf has a license application you need, let alone what the prk wants;)

Pistol brass should be easy to find, check sgn or gun digest (used to be gun list). .223 and .308 brass is getting to be a biotch to locate and prices are high.

-hanko

What Just Happened?
12-17-2007, 10:34 AM
You could put up a WTB in the marketplace section. I know I have some brass that I'd like to get rid of. You could check out ammo brass trader.

rksimple
12-17-2007, 12:49 PM
You should be able to find plenty of brass at the ranges you frequent. While in college, I shot weekly at an indoor range. We were always told to sweep our brass forward. I, however, swept everything back towards me. Ended up with about 60k of 9mm cases and maybe 15k of various others. Rifle calibers may be a little harder to come by.

50 Shooter
12-17-2007, 2:35 PM
www.ammobrasstrader.com

This is a good site for trading and buying brass and other reloading components.

ar15barrels
12-17-2007, 4:19 PM
I'm not an attorney. You might want to consider if money changes hands for loaded bullets, does that make you an ammo manufacturer??...if so, the atf has a license application you need, let alone what the prk wants

Buying components and selling loaded ammo to friends makes you a manufacturer and subject to the BATF's regulations.

You can't "sell" your friends ammo, but you can collectively make ammo.
Gather everyone's money together.
Buy the equipment.
Set it up at someone's house.
Then go together on "group buys" of components and have loading parties or just take turns going over to where the press is kept.
Each person should load THEIR OWN ammo.

One of the biggest rules of shooting is "don't shoot anyone else's reloads".