PDA

View Full Version : Is this a high capacity ammunition feeding device? (pics inside)

RossRinSD
12-16-2007, 7:20 PM
I picked this stuff up many many years ago. My dad had a part time job working with helicopters on the weekends up at Fort Ord. I often tagged along to check out the choppers, but I was pretty much left to my own devices while he was up in the air. I went exploring the impact range and nearby woods and trails. I knew they were in a box somewhere, but I was really hoping that they were 30-06 so I'd have an excuse for a 1919

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/RossRinSD/linked556001.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f113/RossRinSD/linked556002.jpg

I know these are blanks. Can I rebuild them with live rounds? What can I legally buy or build to shoot em? I saw an AR upper that used them, but heard it was pretty much unavailable. How can I get a hold of a semi-auto SAW?? What else is out there?

gn3hz3ku1*
12-16-2007, 7:32 PM
hmm i think this is considered large cap.. so does that mean you can rebuild these into a 30 rd mag? or am i tlaking out of my ***?

sloguy
12-16-2007, 7:32 PM
as i understand it, you must keep 11 rounds linked at all times. you may add to the string but if you divide it in half and each side has more than 10 rounds then you will have manufactured a highcap.

im not an expert tho. thats just what ive heard

sloguy
12-16-2007, 7:34 PM
let me clarify my above reply. it is a high cap as it is. if you take it apart down to a 10 round string then you may not add to it or you will have created a highcap. if you detached 11 rounds from a 40 round string then youd have your original highcap but would have created another one as well.

bohoki
12-16-2007, 7:42 PM
but are blanks "ammuniton"?

it is loaded with blanks to reload the magazine with live ammo may be manufacturing

Blue
12-16-2007, 7:51 PM

it is loaded with blanks to reload the magazine with live ammo may be manufacturing

Why not? You probably have to be 18 to buy it :TFH:

wilit
12-16-2007, 8:15 PM
Those look like M60 links. They definitely won't work in a 1919. :( Only thing they'll work in is an M60.

Blue
12-16-2007, 8:34 PM
Those look like M60 links. They definitely won't work in a 1919. :( Only thing they'll work in is an M60.

What if you were to weld on a 1919 link and go from there? The original portion will still work in an M60, and the gun will jam up and stop firing once you hit the M60 links, not letting you shoot below the 11rd mark :D Get the 1919 anyways man!!!!!! I've got one and 10rd belts arent so bad, if you ever take it to a public range everyone will be humping your leg trying to get you to let them shoot it.

sloguy
12-16-2007, 8:56 PM
What if you were to weld on a 1919 link and go from there? The original portion will still work in an M60, and the gun will jam up and stop firing once you hit the M60 links, not letting you shoot below the 11rd mark :D Get the 1919 anyways man!!!!!! I've got one and 10rd belts arent so bad, if you ever take it to a public range everyone will be humping your leg trying to get you to let them shoot it.

are the ones pictured 223 or 308? i thought they were 223.

anyway, i have a bunch of loose m60 links if anyone is interested.

Army
12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
...and the M240 family, and the M134 Minigun, and various NATO weapons.

radioactivelego
12-16-2007, 10:40 PM
...and the M240 family, and the M134 Minigun, and various NATO weapons.If this logic worked with every mechanical feature then I'd be swapping Norinco 1911 parts with my Wilson Combat and still achieve excellent accuracy.

M60 links can be used... with a lot of modification... on every. single. link.

IMI links are something like $70/1000, so I'd rather stick to the cheapest.

Army
12-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Um..M60 is the link designator, not the gun it's used in. "Izzy" links are for the 1919A4 the Israeli's use/used.

You can use M60 links in the 1919A4 as long as you do not seat the round fully into the link....or cut off the tail.

4D5auto
12-16-2007, 11:27 PM
You all saying linked ammo is illegal???

tenpercentfirearms
12-17-2007, 4:56 AM
You all saying linked ammo is illegal???

Linked ammunition is considered a magazine and any linked ammunition over 10 rounds is prohibited from import and sale. The is a large capacity magazine "ban" and it applies to linked ammunition as well.

M. Sage
12-17-2007, 5:17 AM
Linked ammunition is considered a magazine and any linked ammunition over 10 rounds is prohibited from import and sale.

And manufacture! If you didn't have it linked up before 2000, don't link up more than 10 rounds in a single belt now. :eek: And you're right: high cap ban applies to any "ammunition feeding device." Even stripper clips.

as i understand it, you must keep 11 rounds linked at all times. you may add to the string but if you divide it in half and each side has more than 10 rounds then you will have manufactured a highcap.

im not an expert tho. thats just what ive heard

He can de-link it all, and reassemble it. He can split off belts that are 10 or less, and link them all back up into a large belt again. He can add links and make it two miles long if he wants. Repairing high caps (re-linking is repairing) is legal.

Don't modify the links so they can't work in what they were originally designed to work in, though. If you modify them for a 1919, they still have to work in whatever they originally worked in, too.

Doesn't matter what it's loaded with. It could be loaded with inert or with spent brass, it'd still be a high-cap magazine. No matter what's in it (live ammo, blanks, inert, brass, sticks from the woods, etc.), it's still a linked belt that's got room for more than ten rounds, and it was in his possession in CA before the ban. :D

What you're saying is akin to "it's not a high cap AK mag, cause I've got 20 blanks in it and only 10 live rounds." :p

4D5auto
12-17-2007, 8:05 AM
So, all linked up prior to 2000 is OK?? LOL how in the hell would they know unless you give yourself up?? Like I've stated before, I've been out of the scene for awhile and getting into it again. Does the Grandfather clause apply here?? Like high cap mags possessed before a certain date??

MrTenX
12-17-2007, 12:41 PM
Um..M60 is the link designator, not the gun it's used in.

The M60 and M240 machineguns use the M-13 link.
I've never seen 7.62 NATO blanks crimped like that. Those rds. look more like 5.56mm blanks. If so, they are for the M249 SAW which uses the M-27 link which look like a scaled down M-13 7.62mm link.

RossRinSD
12-17-2007, 2:39 PM
to clear any confusion, these are 5.56 rounds

wilit
12-17-2007, 4:57 PM

I asked the very same question in a thread a few months ago because I had a similar belt of blanks my dad got me when I was 7. The idea was "poo-poo'd" because of the dissimilarity between the links and calibers.

Army
12-18-2007, 3:19 AM
My apologies on the link desi. I can't get images here, so I went with what wilit posted.

But my info is still correct :)