PDA

View Full Version : Davidson's & Remington 700 receiver

hypertex
12-14-2007, 5:00 PM
I've noticed the conspicuous absence of any vendor selling new Remington 700 bolt action receivers. Brownell's and Midway both used to carry them but alas, a transfer fee would need to be payed(usu. ~$50) in addition to the price of the rifle. I am trying to talk Davidson's, (http://www.galleryofguns.com/) into carrying them. My initial email to them was answered advising:
We do not sell only actions but Brownell used to. Their link is http://www.brownells.com/. Or you might try the Remington website. I hope this helps. If you have any questions please contact me at the email address or telephone number below.

Thank you,
Diane Anderson
Web Manager
Davidson's/GalleryofGuns.com
email to: danderson@davidsonsinc.com
www.galleryofguns.com
(800)367-7680

Well, apparently no one does. I also looked through the list of vendors here, but no bolt action receivers. Davidson's is a pretty big distributor, so I emailed again and asked again:

Thanks you for the prompt reply Diane. There has been quite a bit of talk on the subject among my fellow target shooters. If I could organize a number of interested shooters, could your company be enticed into carrying the actions? Would ten orders be enough to do this? If not ten, then how many?

I did note that both Brownell's and Midway both carried new actions until just recently. I have checked several other sites and new actions are not available, probably because of Brownell's et al. One also needed an FFL to get one, necessitating a transfer fee for the private purchaser. The great thing about buying from Davidsons' is that the transfer fee is waived by the local shop. I would really like to make this work and your company could help many of us build our rifles.

Thank you for your consideration and I look forward to your reply.

SO ... who else is interested?

Prc329
12-14-2007, 5:15 PM
I would like one. I have a build I have in mind for tax return time.

hypertex
12-14-2007, 6:06 PM
I'm looking at getting three myself, one of each.

Fjold
12-14-2007, 7:52 PM
If I was going to buy a Remington style action (One that fits all the aftermarket accessories) for a precision rifle build, I would get a Stiller action (Viper or Predator)

rksimple
12-14-2007, 9:42 PM
If I was going to buy a Remington style action (One that fits all the aftermarket accessories) for a precision rifle build, I would get a Stiller action (Viper or Predator)

With the added cost of truing the action and boltface, lapping the lugs, and adding a tac bolt knob, the cost of a spiffed up 700 action is the same as a stiller tac 30. The stiller also has the side bolt release and sako extractor. Better action and more features for the same price.

Prc329
12-14-2007, 9:53 PM
Hmmmm. I forgot about those guys.

Prc329
12-14-2007, 9:58 PM
Maybe someone can put together a ta 30 group buy after the new year. I'd be down. Maybe hold off my truing and build one of those. Putting my current action into a medalist or something inexpensive and letting little bro have it. 6 people and they are $675

ocabj
12-14-2007, 9:58 PM
I would have jumped on earlier, but I opted for the cheap complete rifle option.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=77948
Look around. Remington 700 rifles in less extravagant models are readily available in other parts of the country for under $350. Definitely scan the ar15.com board. When I bought mine there, I saw a few others listed at around $325 NIB.

Prc329
12-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Damn it Ryan, as soon as I had my mind made up you had to go a throw that crap in my brain. Screw you :D

rksimple
12-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Damn it Ryan, as soon as I had my mind made up you had to go a throw that crap in my brain. Screw you :D

I hate it too. I was so impatient when I started with my build that I just wanted it ASAP. So I went down to Randy's place and drosed a remmy. The wait for the tac 30 was about 3 months on its own. In a group buy on stillers, I'd be down for a tac 30 and maybe a tac 338. Have to do my research on the tac338 as its a little bigger than a standard LA remmy.

uscbigdawg
12-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Brownell's will do it again. Basically, it's on Remington to want to release them. They don't have near the profit margin though on selling just actions.

That said, for the money, Viper actions are tough to beat. True custom works of art and VERY affordable.

Rich

ETA: Best place to find a 700 action is a pawn shop....just chuck the rest of the lightly used rifle.

hypertex
12-15-2007, 9:05 AM
Brownell's will do it again. Basically, it's on Remington to want to release them. They don't have near the profit margin though on selling just actions.

That said, for the money, Viper actions are tough to beat. True custom works of art and VERY affordable.

Rich

ETA: Best place to find a 700 action is a pawn shop....just chuck the rest of the lightly used rifle.

Right on all counts. Two of mine were indeed second hand and cheaper than Brownell's, save the transfer fee. Snipershide just had a group buy on Viper actions in August, R+D was the FFL.

Spdjunkie
12-18-2007, 3:54 AM
Posted this on another thread here:

Where are all the remington 700 308 actions?
They are absent at Brownells and Midway...Remington stopped supplying both vendors with virgin actions alone, IMHO - fear that they may be losing sales from selling complete rifles, BS IMO, but it is what it is. They would rather have someone buy a adl/sps whatever of their line and strip it down, I guess.

Whatever the case may be with Remington. With manuf. such as Stiller stepping up, its all good with me. But, dont get me wrong, I think a factory trued/squared worked over action, like my first from R&D Precision, will shoot just as well with any custom action in the Tactical game, more the shooter at that point than action. As these Custom sticks from these talented smiths will shoot better than majority of us on our good day, Something like "Its more the Indian than the Bow" Something like that. :D

Happy Holidays All

hypertex
12-18-2007, 10:49 AM
I wrote Remington, here's their reply:

Subject
---------------------------------------------------------------
700 action

Discussion Thread
---------------------------------------------------------------
Response (Ron) - 12/17/2007 07:56 AM
Dear Bruno,

Thanks for contacting Remington Country. At this time I am not aware of any of the Remington actions being available. You will have to check back in a few months.

Customer - 12/14/2007 05:20 PM
Which of your distributors/wholesalers can get short, long and magnum actions? I am having a great deal of trouble finding new actions since Midway and Brownell's no longer carry them.
I am looking for one of each myself...

Thanks,

So it probably won't matter even if Davidson's decides to carry them:

I forwarded you email to the Assistant Buyer and our Vice President in charge of purchasing. They do not want to stock the actions at this time and do not know who might be stocking them. The Vice President said he will make some more inquires and if he finds anything he will let me know. I'm sorry that this not the answer you wanted and I wish I could help more.

Thank you,
Diane Anderson
Web Manager
Davidson's/GalleryofGuns.com

Prc329
12-18-2007, 12:49 PM
I think I am going to prowl a few pawn shops and the sales boards to get a couple of rifles to part out.

hypertex
02-02-2008, 4:07 PM
OK guys, here we go: Midway is again carrying Remington 700 actions! Single or in two packs. All in stock at this time. Also, Savage will be carried soon.

PistolPete75
02-02-2008, 4:46 PM
OK guys, here we go: Midway is again carrying Remington 700 actions! Single or in two packs. All in stock at this time. Also, Savage will be carried soon.

get the 700 actions. you won't regret it. remember to get the actions and bolts trued. i'm sure Randall is going to take care of that for you.

hypertex
02-02-2008, 5:25 PM
I've got the Manson Accurizing goodies

PistolPete75
02-02-2008, 6:16 PM
I've got the Manson Accurizing goodies

those tools are good stuff. who is going to chamber your barrel?

hypertex
02-02-2008, 9:33 PM
I am.

Jason762
02-02-2008, 9:43 PM

Awesome! Too bad they aren't selling left handed receivers :(

I'm sure they could generate a big enough mark-up to make up for lack of sales. :rolleyes:

PistolPete75
02-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I am.

i highly recommend a floating reamer holder along with your other tooling. almost doesn't make sense for a hobbiest to do it unless your going to do at least 2 builds to break out.

hypertex
02-03-2008, 9:03 AM
Awesome! Too bad they aren't selling left handed receivers :(

Email 'em. They're a family run business, they may accommodate.

i highly recommend a floating reamer holder along with your other tooling. almost doesn't make sense for a hobbiest to do it unless your going to do at least 2 builds to break out.

Got it too; gonna re-barrel mine, and build two more this run, SA and LA. :)

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 9:04 AM

I just searched and there are no short actions with 308 bolts.
The short actions they have are with 223 bolts.
They have had those for a while.

PistolPete75
02-04-2008, 9:30 AM
I just searched and there are no short actions with 308 bolts.
The short actions they have are with 223 bolts.
They have had those for a while.

can't you simply machine the bolt face to fit a .308?

ar15barrels
02-04-2008, 2:00 PM
can't you simply machine the bolt face to fit a .308?

Yes and no.
Depends on how much time you want to put into it.
Look at how the extractor mounts.
That's a fun cut to make after opening the boltface.
Probably better to go with a Sako or M16 style extractor.