PDA

View Full Version : Compton hosts guns-for-gifts exchange

toolman9000
12-14-2007, 9:12 AM
http://www.presstelegram.com/breakingnews/ci_7722026

Compton hosts guns-for-gifts exchange
P-T staff and wire reports
Article Launched: 12/14/2007 07:25:49 AM PST

COMPTON - Guns-for-gift-card exchanges will be held in Compton Saturday and Sunday in an attempt to reduce gang violence in the city, though the program's effectiveness has been questioned.

People turning in a gun to sheriff's personnel will receive a $50 gift card to Best Buy, Home Depot, Ralphs or Target. $100 gift cards will be given for each of the first 50 guns exchanged.

About 400 guns were turned in at a similar exchange in 2005, according to Sgt. Rich Pena of the sheriff's Compton Station. A figure from last year's exchanges was not available.

In a 2006 interview, the executive director of political committee dedicated to preserving rights of gun owners and electing pro-law enforcement candidates called the guns-for-card exchanges "nothing more than a really nice, feel good measure to try to make people feel like this is a positive step, but the fact of the matter is there is probably minus zero number of criminals who are going to give up their firearms in order to get a gift card."

"Unfortunately, what will happen is the same thing with all of these types of programs is that people who have pretty much useless firearms, many of them will not function or are so old to be unsafe, worthless pieces of junk, that will be turned in for a gift card," said Sam Paredes of Gun Owners of California.

Nothing like hanging out in Compton on a Saturday morning, better bring two guns one to turn in for profit and one to protect yourself.

toolman9000
12-14-2007, 9:15 AM
okay, that little uzi guy above was not me I just copied and pasted the article... funny that is what comes up when a article about Compton is put here.

Hkfanatic
12-14-2007, 9:15 AM
im going to go out and buy 50 lorcins !!!!!!! (for 10$ a piece:)

milsurpshooter
12-14-2007, 9:21 AM
time to turn in a bunch of mosins.

ohsmily
12-14-2007, 9:26 AM
im going to go out and buy 50 lorcins !!!!!!! (for 10$ a piece:)

Yeah right. Show me where you can buy a Lorcin for anything (so few seem to be available in CA these days).

As a matter of fact, for those in the Sacramento area, if you have any of these "junk guns" that you are interested in selling or simply have no use for, let me know. Generally, I will pay 30-100 bucks for guns from Bryco-Jennings, Lorcin, Raven, Phoenix, Davis, Sundance, FIE, Jiminez arms, depending on the condition of the gun and what particular model it is.

If you need some extra Christmas cash, and don't want that zinc-alloy gun anymore, let me know. (these would have to be PPTs because obviously, these guns aren't on the CA roster)

Sydwaiz
12-14-2007, 1:44 PM
I've got a whole bunch of zinc castings around, I wonder if those will qualify. (I worked on all the molds for most of them)

bigthaiboy
12-17-2007, 5:13 PM
Yeah right. Show me where you can buy a Lorcin for anything (so few seem to be available in CA these days).

As a matter of fact, for those in the Sacramento area, if you have any of these "junk guns" that you are interested in selling or simply have no use for, let me know. Generally, I will pay 30-100 bucks for guns from Bryco-Jennings, Lorcin, Raven, Phoenix, Davis, Sundance, FIE, Jiminez arms, depending on the condition of the gun and what particular model it is.

If you need some extra Christmas cash, and don't want that zinc-alloy gun anymore, let me know. (these would have to be PPTs because obviously, these guns aren't on the CA roster)

According to Turner's, this is what Raven .25s are really worth! :rolleyes:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=74787&highlight=raven

Hoop
12-17-2007, 5:51 PM
time to turn in a bunch of mosins.

hahahahahaha

Digital_Hate
12-17-2007, 7:21 PM

my father law passed away about a year ago and going through his closet we found a jennings j-22. i was like what the hell is this kind of reminded me of a toy

1911su16b870
12-17-2007, 8:47 PM
Today's LA times said the Sheriffs Dept. gave away all 300 of their $100 gift cards and is calling the trade-in a big success.

jumbopanda
12-17-2007, 11:17 PM
I know that people are mostly joking about turning in Mosins and whatnot, but anyone who would actually go through with it deserves to be slapped across the face. Anyone who claims to be pro-gun should be ashamed to support such an absurd publicity stunt. It is a waste of taxpayer money, and provides a photo op for anti-gun politicians.

Moonclip
12-18-2007, 12:57 AM
Last year it was only $50. I've actually been to this, I guess I deserve a slap in the face. One gun per person allowed. My mom was actually born in Compton:) I use the money to be able to afford more guns!

tenpercentfirearms
12-18-2007, 4:49 AM
Freak, I sell the Mosins for $100 so I might as well skip some paperwork and sell them at the gun buy back. It doesn't matter to me if I sell them to you or sell them to a gun buy back, I just want to sell them. So rather than blame me for selling them to a gun buy back, why don't you come to my shop and save them from their impending doom. If the guns go unsold, it is really your fault. Save the Mosins before it is too late.

Salty
12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
How much you wana bet that a good portion of those guns were stolen just days before the trade in?

I've been to Compton, it's a lost cause.

Ford8N
12-19-2007, 5:37 AM
How much you wana bet that a good portion of those guns were stolen just days before the trade in?

I've been to Compton, it's a lost cause.

I don't see it mentioned on their web site. Compton is a wonderful place to live according to the mayor.

http://www.comptoncity.org/compton/About.html

Sydwaiz
12-19-2007, 9:24 AM
It's nice where my shop is. I wouldn't travel much farther north however. But they did just open a nice shopping center off Alameda.

JagerTroop
12-19-2007, 2:58 PM
2 years ago, a guy I used to work with ALMOST turned in a chinese sks. He told me he was going to do it for some extra xmas money, and I almost crapped myself. Luckily, I got the chance to buy him out. So, he got his money, I got an inexpensive sks, and the politicians' knavery was thwarted. :p