PDA

View Full Version : Did he really go to iraq

VAHEVAHE
12-14-2007, 12:49 AM
A really cool guy i met the other day at college said that he just came back from Iraq on a 10 month tour. I was kind of suspecting he was lying on what he said because he looked pretty young and he would hesitate when i would ask him specific question like how many mags did you have on you. Here is some of the stuff he said

he said he was a Sargent
He had 6 mags on him and 1 mag in the gun =7 mags
He said he took his 9mm pistol with him to iraq
He claims his 9mm ammo was "Custom Made" with a rifle style bullet in it (as in the bullet was cone shaped like a rifle rather then the standard round FMJ 9mm round)
He claimed that he would patrol with 3 other people in a square formation.

Did he really go to Iraq or is he bullshi*ing

Army
12-14-2007, 1:00 AM
Complete BS. Slap him for me.

There are no 10 month tours. Marine and Air Force are, at minimum, 6. Navy does at least 6 on floats. Army does 15.

There is no way he took his own handgun...ain't gonna happen. Same with his "custom ammuntion". Would be fried for violating General Order #1 on multiple charges.

4 troops cannot make a square formation. One or more have to be in the center for C&C and commo. Same as a wedge formation. Not to mention, no way will anyone group up here. Too easy for a single IED/RPG to get us all.

Only 7 mags? BS. Outside the wire, you drag as many mags as you can carry, and then stash more in the Hummer.

Stupid cowardly wanna-be you have as a new "friend". Do us a favor....kick his ***.

CalNRA
12-14-2007, 1:01 AM
He claims his 9mm ammo was "Custom Made" with a rifle style bullet in it (as in the bullet was cone shaped like a rifle rather then the standard round FMJ 9mm round)

:eek:

VAHEVAHE
12-14-2007, 1:04 AM
Complete BS. Slap him for me.

There are no 10 month tours. Marine and Air Force are, at minimum, 6. Navy does at least 6 on floats. Army does 15.

There is no way he took his own handgun...ain't gonna happen. Same with his "custom ammuntion". Would be fried for violating General Order #1 on multiple charges.

4 troops cannot make a square formation. One or more have to be in the center for C&C and commo. Same as a wedge formation. Not to mention, no way will anyone group up here. Too easy for a single IED/RPG to get us all.

Only 7 mags? BS. Outside the wire, you drag as many mags as you can carry, and then stash more in the Hummer.

Stupid cowardly wanna-be you have as a new "friend". Do us a favor....kick his ***.

Thats what i thought but since i know nothing about the army i couldn't comment on what he was saying. I am really good at picking up peoples lies which is why i was suspecting he was trying to be a wannabe. Hes not my friend just someone i met at school.

The funny thing was when i talked to my cousin who went into the army he said that he would have like 200-300 rounds on them. My cousin went into the army and was honorably discharged 3 weeks before 9-11. I still remember him standing in front of a hummer with his last name on the windshield of the hummer.

MrLogan
12-14-2007, 1:08 AM
A really cool guy i met the other day at college said that he just came back from Iraq on a 10 month tour. I was kind of suspecting he was lying on what he said because he looked pretty young and he would hesitate when i would ask him specific question like how many mags did you have on you. Here is some of the stuff he said

he said he was a Sargent

BS. Same as what Army said.

In general, you cannot bring your own firearm. You cannot use "custom made" ammunition. 3 people? Yeah, right. What a douche.

boogak
12-14-2007, 1:13 AM
i think he had a cheat. unlimited ammo. can we say "battlefield 2"?

Spiggy
12-14-2007, 1:25 AM
I say play along, this might lead somewhere funny

Try to get him to use military terms, ID Numbers, funny nicknames, and descriptions of weapons.

Then get him to tell us about where he's been and what his job was; how he liked it. That sorta stuff

Grouch
12-14-2007, 1:27 AM
what a douche bag.

CalNRA
12-14-2007, 1:28 AM
he, um, never worked at an in door retail complex, has he?

I second Spiggy's idea, use random terms, numerical designation and Acronyms to see what he comes up with, could be fun.

BB63Squid
12-14-2007, 1:36 AM
Ask him if his testicles are real or rented.

It blows me away the amount of people that make outlandish statements as to where/when they have served if they even did.

Max-the-Silent
12-14-2007, 6:04 AM

he said he was a Sargent

MOS and paygrade. He's a straight up liar. Avoid and ignore.

desertram800
12-14-2007, 6:36 AM
don't be so quick to judge. First of all, the standard loadout out there was 7 mags (of course more were available), and we had to bring our 9mm pistols with us from our home base. Pistols are somewhat difficult to get there a lot of the time because all the "Bob of the FOB"s and high ranking people (those who never do anything) take them because they don't want to carry a rifle around. We were told to bring our own (govt issued of course) beretta M9s with us. Also, people do all different lengths of tours out there. I'm in the Navy, and I did a 12 month deployment. The Army guys we relieved were only out there for 3 months, then they got sent home. Some guys have been out there for two years. As for the 4 man "square" formations?....well....I don't know about that one. Also, you can enlist for 2 years, so it's possible to be young and still have a deployment in your history. I'm not backing this guy up, I don't know him or the situation, I'm just saying don't be so quick to jump to judgement. :D

metalhead357
12-14-2007, 6:47 AM
All your base belong to us!!!!!

DesertDawg
12-14-2007, 6:59 AM
I agree with DesertRam800. That guy could have been a late arrival for the deployment of his unit, so he could have spent a shortened tour. The part about the "custom ammo", though, is pure BS.

Several years ago, one of my co-workers always boasted of having been in the Army Special Forces. I caught him in several lies, but just played along with it. One day, when he was boasting to some new guys about having been an "Army Airborne Ranger", I nearly split a gut from holding back my laughter. He eventually went "psycho"....literally....and after he had been terminated from the job, I learned that he had actually been in the Army....but as a clerk typist! Go figure!

Californio
12-14-2007, 8:03 AM
It never ends.

My Father is 88 and knows someone, his age, that claims to have been a Colonel in WWII but his recounts are just BS.

It just never ends.

Soldier415
12-14-2007, 8:07 AM
I learned that he had actually been in the Army....but as a clerk typist! Go figure!

Well, he was half right, he was a Chairborne Ranger.

As to the OP, here is a quick way to tell.

Ask the motormouth if he has ever been sent to supply to get his Squad Leader chemlight batteries, a box of grid squares, a roll of flight line, left handed wrench.

Ask if he has ever been sent to the Commo NCOIC to get a radio called a *****y Seven, and to ask for it by that name (Commo SGT usually an E-7 SGT First Class)

Ask him if he has ever been given a jar and told to get an exhaust sample of a vehicle and run it down to the motor pool for testing. and/or when he got there, the motor pool SGT spent 5 minutes in the back room and cameout and told him it was a bad sample and he has to go back and get another one as h didnt close the lid on the jar fast enough.

the above can go back and forth all day.

And finally, (this will only apply if he is in a Mechanized unit) ask him if he has ever been woken up at midnight out in the field and handed a flashlight, a rubber mallet, and a big piece of chalk and told to go check all the armor on the tracks (M113 APCs) for weak spots by tapping with the mallet, and when one sction sounds different, to circle it with the chalk.

Then ask if the 1SG smoked the dog snot out of him for making all of his APCs look like, "A gaggle of gay f*cking leapords"

:D

Dump1567
12-14-2007, 8:18 AM
I had an oldtimer walk into my shooting area. Starting telling me stories of his 1,000 yard kills during Korea with his M-14.:rolleyes:

USN CHIEF
12-14-2007, 8:26 AM
BS. No way that he could have brought his privately own 9mm. When I was coming back for Iraq. I did see a Sailor get busted for trying to bring back an AK in Kuwait. This guy is Full of CHIT. Oh, and BTW, Sailors do 6 months, 9 months, 12 months and 16 months. They call it I/A (Individual Augmentee).

Two Shots
12-14-2007, 8:42 AM
Maybe he was part of the "UNIT". His own weapon, Custom ammo only 7 mags maybe he was an expert shot. If it looks like BS, Smells like BS then it's BS. ask to see his Funny picture on his Military I.D or ask if he fired a RUAD (R U A Dork) squad weapon. I'm a SEAL (Settin En A Lounge) chair. I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in the Marines and was in Nam. Turned out he was a NG member never left the state and worked in the motor pool. Went shooting with him and his scope was screwed up, thats why he couldn't hit at 200yrds.Worked with a guy that cliamed he was in major battles in WW2 and landed in Normady etc and dated Marylon Monroe in HS.. No one belived his story and then one day he brought in his Military records and it was true atleast 7 main battles. Truth is sometime stranger then fiction he also had pictures with him and Monroe when she dated him in HS. Turned out he was a Helluva guy that had an iteresting life. just to add my Dad's a WW2 Vet and it was rare to get him to say anything about combat. Friends I worked with that went to Vietnam couldn't talk about it.

M5police
12-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Sounds like he has PTSD from playing SOCOM III too long online and is starting to believe the lies in his head.

Soldier415
12-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I believe this is appropriate:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/ganjaman415/Posters/435734-1.jpg

Charliegone
12-14-2007, 10:32 AM
I believe this is appropriate:

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f273/ganjaman415/Posters/435734-1.jpg

LOL he has a Naruto poster in the back! LOL.:p

45DAVID1
12-14-2007, 10:37 AM

What's even worse than that is YOU know what kind of poster that is!

metalhead357
12-14-2007, 11:53 AM
I'm a SEAL (Settin En A Lounge) chair. I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in the Marines and was in Nam. Turned out he was a NG member never left the state and worked in the motor pool. Went shooting with him and his scope was screwed up, thats why he could hit at 200yrds.Worked with a guy that cliamed he was in major battles in WW2 and landed in Normady etc and dated Marylon Monroe in HS.. No one belived his story and then one day he brought in his Military records and it was true atleast 7 main battles. Truth is sometime stranger then fiction he also had pictures with him and Monroe when she dated him in HS. Turned out he was a Helluva guy that had an iteresting life.

LOL! SEAL! that reminded me of some goober I ran into in Half moon bay trying to sell me a Seal knife; Claimed he had been in 'Nam and looed only about 4 years older than me:rolleyes:. So I get to jabbering with this guy and ask where he did his UDT; he looks at me like Whaaaaa? So I says when did you graduate? He tells me '68 so I ask what class number/graduating class he was he tells me 14 ALPHA:cool: So I start talking weapons and he tells me he was over there with his UZI and a FAL! I says sure I'll buy your knife- how much, he says $40. I say WHAT? What'd you PAY for it? he says he paid $60 for IN basic training. I tell him thats pretty interesting as the only knife *given* in basic training is not a seal knife. He gets all indignant and tries to tell me I'm wrong. I says fine, lets go on over to the payphone and call my Dad's buddy who is/was indeed a SEAL and ask him what its worth. Guy gets all flustered and says $20. I say $5. He finnally balks and comes down to $10. So I pull a $50 and have to wait through 10 mor minutes of Drivel for this guy to finnaly come up with the change before I had him the fifty. He does...we go on talking while I watch this guy did a verbal hole deeper than anything I could have ever imagined....goes on to tell me how there are DESERTS in "'Nam and how he was there for ONE TOUR but he tells me in that time he was both on a riverboat squad as well as part of Operation Pheonix ((maybe someone can finnaly dispell the myth--I was always told this was staffed by SOG guys and never seals.....)) and how he single handedly snipered over 100 kills....there were more but *unconfirmed*:rolleyes:. The only thing that saved me from more amuszment from this guy was his bus came...or I'm sure I woulda heard all about his bombing runs and tunnel clearing exploits too in further detail.

I always wondered if they guy actually thought for a second I believed his nonsense................

rivviepop
12-14-2007, 12:04 PM
just ask to see his dogtags - if he's young and gained Sgt so quickly (usually it takes a few years, when I was in the "youngest" Sgt I met was probably 2.5yrs in and that was rare, most don't gain E-5 until 3+ yrs and PLDC and so on courses) then he'll proudly be carrying his tags. I've been out some 15 years (hon. discharge as Cpl/E-4) and still carry one dogtag on my house/work keys and one on my motorcycle keys so if SHTF I can be identified quickly and my blood type is right there.

Blue
12-14-2007, 12:11 PM
I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in the Marines and was in Nam. Turned out he was a NG member never left the state and worked in the motor pool. Went shooting with him and his scope was screwed up, thats why he could hit at 200yrds.

Sounds like my history teacher in highschool. Guy was in the Army(?) during VN but never went. He would ALWAYS tell us about how he's a VN vet. One day in class he and I got into an arguement about the M16 and he brought up the fact that he was a VN vet again. One of the other students had an older sibling that had had this guy in the past, and knew that he was a mail carrier for whichever branch he was in when he did his service. So this kid chimes in and the shut down began. Turns out the guy never (ever) stepped foot in Viet Nam. He was stationed in Japan the whole time. So he stopped claiming he was a "Viet Nam vet" and he now says hes a "Viet Nam ERA vet".

50 Freak
12-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Guys who served and really saw action usually don't talk about stuff they saw or did.

I once knew this guy, very nice quiet gentlemen. I actually knew his mom and we worked together. Anyways I was hanging out with this guy and noticed all these weird little scars on the back of his neck. I asked him about it and he said it was nothing. His mom in a conversation a few month later mentioned her son's scars and how they ran down his back. I asked what they were and she said that when he was a machine gunner during the first Sandbox games, he was involved in a few firefights and the scars where from where the hot empty shells would come back down and drop in between his shirt and skin.

Bizcuits
12-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Ask him for what Unit he was in... not his "Division", but his BTLN, Company, Platoon, if he can't give it to you in a full sentence, without stopping, he is likely lieing.

Max-the-Silent
12-14-2007, 12:27 PM
I once listened to a comedian that had some good mil specific material.

One of his jokes:

" Any Vietnam Vets here tonight?

"Anybody that wasn't a SEAL, Ranger or Green Beanie?"

tdo315
12-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Well, he was half right, he was a Chairborne Ranger.

As to the OP, here is a quick way to tell.

Ask the motormouth if he has ever been sent to supply to get his Squad Leader chemlight batteries, a box of grid squares, a roll of flight line, left handed wrench.

Ask if he has ever been sent to the Commo NCOIC to get a radio called a *****y Seven, and to ask for it by that name (Commo SGT usually an E-7 SGT First Class)

Ask him if he has ever been given a jar and told to get an exhaust sample of a vehicle and run it down to the motor pool for testing. and/or when he got there, the motor pool SGT spent 5 minutes in the back room and cameout and told him it was a bad sample and he has to go back and get another one as h didnt close the lid on the jar fast enough.

the above can go back and forth all day.

And finally, (this will only apply if he is in a Mechanized unit) ask him if he has ever been woken up at midnight out in the field and handed a flashlight, a rubber mallet, and a big piece of chalk and told to go check all the armor on the tracks (M113 APCs) for weak spots by tapping with the mallet, and when one sction sounds different, to circle it with the chalk.

Then ask if the 1SG smoked the dog snot out of him for making all of his APCs look like, "A gaggle of gay f*cking leapords"

:D

LOL - This reminds me when we sent the new guy over to supply and had him ask for a "fallopian tube". I would have paid to see the look on the girls face that was working the counter that day :D

Charliegone
12-14-2007, 1:41 PM
What's even worse than that is YOU know what kind of poster that is!

Come on dude, you've never seen your little nephews, kids, etc talking about how cool Naruto is, etc? What's even funnier these 2 popular "animes" are about Ninjas (Naruto) and Pirates (One Piece)..

TurboFall
12-14-2007, 2:14 PM
Several years ago, one of my co-workers always boasted of having been in the Army Special Forces. I caught him in several lies, but just played along with it. One day, when he was boasting to some new guys about having been an "Army Airborne Ranger", I nearly split a gut from holding back my laughter. He eventually went "psycho"....literally....and after he had been terminated from the job, I learned that he had actually been in the Army....but as a clerk typist! Go figure!

He's in so deep, the US government gave him a cover job :D

Forever-A-Soldier
12-14-2007, 2:36 PM
Some of what the OP said about the guy he met might have been legit, but the stuff he said about the 9mm ammo and the "square formation" (I think he meant to say "diamond") isn't washing. Though he could have brought his own 9mm there, getting it back could be more difficult and risky.

Ask for pics... verify, verify, verify. If he's Guard ask him when and where he was in Iraq.

F.A.S. Out

Anthonysmanifesto
12-14-2007, 3:04 PM
would "rifle style" ammo, or cone tipped ammo feed very well in a 9mm handgun?

45DAVID1
12-14-2007, 3:12 PM
Come on dude, you've never seen your little nephews, kids, etc talking about how cool Naruto is, etc? What's even funnier these 2 popular "animes" are about Ninjas (Naruto) and Pirates (One Piece)..

My nephew is 6 months old and my son is only 2. I guess I must educate myself on these crazy japanese cartoons so im in the circle of trust.

KUJO
12-14-2007, 3:30 PM

he said he was a Sargent

Some of what he says could be true. My brother just turned 21 (still young) is a E-4 and will be coming home from Iraq after only 10 months (unless he gets another set of missions) and I beleive he also told me that they only carry 7 magazines in there rifles. And did you put the part about being a cone shaped bullet. He might have meant, AP ammo, or hot ammo like the isreali ammo for uzi's. (which would also be a no-no with the ammo) But as far as him taking his personal gun (unless he meant the one he is trained with) then that is a lie. And the part about 3 other guys is most likely a lie but it all depends on where they patrolled and what they were required to do.

Mac
12-14-2007, 3:39 PM

metalhead357
12-14-2007, 3:39 PM
would "rifle style" ammo, or cone tipped ammo feed very well in a 9mm handgun?

The Only ammo that comes to mind that he might have been speaking about is the Fiocchi Truncated cone ammo...............

rivviepop
12-14-2007, 5:43 PM
My Dad, now 75 went to Korea in 51 and then to Nam in 65. Navy Corpsman. He never mentioned anything about those times - nada, nothing, zilch as far back as I can remember. Different generations I guess. He only spoke about Walter Gilene from time to time and that was usually short.

Gramps (WWII or Korea?) and Dad (Viet Nam) also never said anything. I think dad was in the rear (I found a photo once, might have worked with the mail?) in country but apparently still saw enough badness that he never said a word. I only knew about gramps because I once (as a tiny kid) found a bringback stashed under his bed and asked, too little to remember what he said but in effect it was "don't talk about this."

CSACANNONEER
12-14-2007, 10:42 PM
It never ends.

My Father is 88 and knows someone, his age, that claims to have been a Colonel in WWII but his recounts are just BS.

It just never ends.

Hey, I've met the Colonel. He was shot down several times but always managed to get rescued etc.

The one I particularly like is: I (or a guy in my unit) can make head shots a 1700 yards with a Barrett 82A1, everytime! I've heard this several times. This is the quickest way that I can tell someone's full of BS. A semi auto Barrett is a 2-3MOA gun at best!

JagerTroop
12-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Gramps (WWII or Korea?) and Dad (Viet Nam) also never said anything. I think dad was in the rear (I found a photo once, might have worked with the mail?) in country but apparently still saw enough badness that he never said a word. I only knew about gramps because I once (as a tiny kid) found a bringback stashed under his bed and asked, too little to remember what he said but in effect it was "don't talk about this."

My Dad served in VN...same story. He almost never talked about it. Once, when I was young he mentioned something about stepping on a punji(sp?) stick. When I inquired about it, he got very defensive and said it was hard to talk about, and never watched VN era movies, ie; Platoon, Deer Hunter, etc. I would put them on, and he'd tear up. He served in '68 and, like many others, saw/did some f'ed up *****.
It is just sad and disrespectful to hear when someone tries to get the respect of serving, without enduring the pain. If these fakers ever knew anyone with PTSD, heard the late night screams/night terrors, and saw the sorrow in some vet's eyes... maybe they'd think up a new fake story to tell.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it.
Eli

M. Sage
12-15-2007, 5:57 AM

And is playing Battlefield 2.

TonyM
12-15-2007, 10:12 PM
And is playing Battlefield 2.

NERD!

(I joke because I can. I lub BF2).