PDA

View Full Version : Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

JALLEN
12-13-2007, 6:35 PM
Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

By Cal Thomas
Thursday, December 13, 2007

I have been waiting for this to happen. For years we have witnessed the carnage when innocents were mowed down at schools, colleges, shopping malls and post offices. The unarmed (disarmed?) were easy targets for crazed gunmen armed with grievances, weapons and ammunition.

Now someone has shot back, probably saving many lives. All of the gun-control laws that have been passed and are still being contemplated could not have had the affect of one armed, trained and law-abiding citizen on the scene like 42-year-old Jeanne Assam, a volunteer security guard at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs. The gunman, 24-year-old Mathew Murray, had been expelled from the Youth With a Mission (YWAM) organization for health reasons, according to officials. Authorities say Murray vowed revenge in several Web postings, which copied abundantly from the manifesto written by Columbine High School killer Eric Harris before the 1999 school massacre.

In rants laced with profanity, Murray lashed out against Christians he said had “brought this on yourselves.” He wrote that Christians “are to blame for most of the problems in the world.” Does that qualify as a “hate crime”? Probably not as such designations are usually given only to “oppressed minorities.”

It is Assam and not the shooter who received — and deserves — most of the media attention and praise. Calm and collected at a news conference, Assam detailed her movements and decision-making after hearing shots in the parking lot outside the church. She was especially attentive to possible danger after learning of the earlier shooting during which two people were killed at the YWAM facility several miles away. After hearing shots in the church parking lot, Assam said she walked about 100 yards through a hallway, hid herself and when Murray walked in, emerged from hiding and confronted him. “I was just asking God, bottom line, this is all you,” she said. “It was so loud. … It was scary. But God was with me. I asked him to be with me. And he never left my side.”

Assam is a former Minneapolis police officer who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. She said she had been praying about what to do with her life and had volunteered to help with security at the 10,000-member church. She said, “I wasn’t going to wait for him to do other damage. I knew what I had to do.”

The El Paso County Coroner’s Office has since determined that Murray died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. But it doesn’t matter. With at least five guns, all that ammunition and more weapons in the car, according to police, Assam’s presence stopped Murray from killing and wounding more people inside the church, which appeared to be his intent.

Church Pastor Brady Boyd said he has a 15- to 20-member security staff because “that’s the reality of our world. I don’t think any of us grew up in churches where that was a reality, but today it is.”

Killers — ones with mental disorders, or terrorists — look for places with large gatherings to amplify their acts. That’s why in recent years they have selected targets ranging from the World Trade Center, to Columbine High School, to shopping malls and now a megachurch. On the rare occasions when an armed person has been on the scene before police arrive, such acts have been stopped before further damage could be done. When no armed person has been present, by the time the police show up the killing is usually over and the gunman has shot himself.

The point is that gun laws will not deter criminals with evil intent and police can’t be everywhere they’re needed. But killers can be stopped by law-abiding citizens with guns. As the Supreme Court considers its ruling on whether the strict gun laws in the District of Columbia are constitutional, it might remember Jeanne Assam and her courageous, proper and for now legal response to a lawless act. Though four were killed at the two locations and several others wounded, many more owe their lives to Assam, who should be the new poster woman for those who wish to preserve the right to keep and bear arms.

Cal Thomas is co-author (with Bob Beckel) of the forthcoming book, "Common Ground: How to Stop the Partisan War That is Destroying America"

Copyright © 2006 Salem Web Network. All Rights Reserved.

Link (http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/CalThomas/2007/12/13/praise_the_lord_and_pass_the_ammunition)

1911su16b870
12-13-2007, 7:02 PM
Thanks for this post. If only the anti-mind could see the truth in this article, every state would be shall issue.

JALLEN
12-14-2007, 6:36 AM
But wait, there's more!

Push for gun control stems from boomers' urge to avoid personal responsibility

Thursday, December 13, 2007

If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.” — the Dalai Lama, May 15, 2001.

Thank God Jean Assam, directly or indirectly, took this advice when she stopped the malevolent attack at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs. The former police officer and volunteer security guard who made the suggestion to beef up security at the church without question saved the lives of perhaps dozens of people.

What a terrific conundrum for the anti-gun left. Normally, a gun-waving psychopath is a poster child for their counterintuitive argument that firearms cause crime. This is related to the entire liberal philosophy that individuals are in some way not responsible for their actions but must be goaded into bad behavior by either society or some evil talisman that creates within them the desire to do harm. What actually disturbs them is the symbolic nature of the firearm and its association with the individualism of the West.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity,” wrote Sigmund Freud in his “General Introduction to Psychoanalysis.” Fear of firearms is, in most cases, not related to a fear of crime but likely is associated with disagreement over the idea of singular liberties attached to citizens, which conflicts with the centralizing nature of government.

The simplicity of rule by fiat is always hampered by the stubborn speedbump of individual rights. The right to own a firearm and, by implication, the ability to protect one’s environment without the constant need of organizational interference implies the ability to function at a basic and important level without total surrender of one’s individual rights to the social contract.

This unique aspect of American culture was given birth by British confiscation of colonists’ property. Its symbolic period was the romanticized Wild West, where it was said that “God did not make men equal, Colonel Colt did.”

Firearms by themselves may not have made men free or keep them so in today’s world. But their ownership demonstrates the citizens’ alliance with, not dominance by, their government.

As is often the case, this unique aspect of American culture is most recognized by those off our shores.

British author George Orwell recognized this symbolic and important feature by noting, “That rifle on the wall of the labourer’s cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”

This bit of obvious Americana however, seems to be more difficult to grasp by some of our own politicians: “If I could have banned them all — (and said) ‘Mr. and Mrs. America turn in your guns’ — I would have!” declared U.S. Sen. Diane Feinstein, D-Calif., on the TV program “60 Minutes” on Feb. 5, 1995.

But this fear of firearms and desire to eliminate them is relatively new, even on the left:

“The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, and one more safeguard against a tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible,” said Democrat Hubert Humphrey, vice president and presidential candidate in 1968.

Humphrey’s remarks were significant because it was during this period that the swelling demographic of the baby-boomer generation and its coddled attitudes fostered by grateful parents, survivors of the Depression and World War II, began to make itself apparent. As is often the case with heirs to self-made fortunes, parents desire their children to have an easier time than themselves, often not recognizing that it was just such difficulties that properly molded them.

The baby boomer desire to not be held accountable or take responsibility for actions has led to a never-ending stream of theories that seek to distance people from results. It is from this witches brew of self-indulgence and externalization of wrongdoing that modern gun control is born.

Rick Wagner offers more thoughts on politics at his blog, The War on Wrong, which can be reached through the blogs entry at GJSentinel.com.

Link (http://www.gjsentinel.com/search/content/news/opinion/stories/2007/12/13/121307_4A_Wagner_column.html)

tgriffin
12-14-2007, 8:54 AM
good reads thank you.

Kestryll
12-14-2007, 11:25 AM
This is a thread about the harmful effects of gun control and it's ineffective attempts to stop crimes.
Keep it on topic.