PDA

View Full Version : Turned down for M38

Archenemy550
12-13-2007, 11:58 AM
so get this

I go into a Big 5 and see a Mosin M38 in awsome (Marked as an M44 I might add :rolleyes:) condition. I say I wanna buy it.

So the guy behind the counter goes and gets the Co-Store director. She looks at my I.D. and says "Do your parents know you are buying this?"

I was shocked and told her it did not matter and that I am an adult. She said she would not sell it to me and would not give me any reason at all. I asked if she thought I was doing a Straw purchase and she said no. She also said she knows there is a Background Investigation so she knows I have to pass that.

In the end, she talked to me like a child and would not sell me the rifle. I was furious, cause now I will have to wait 11 days from today should I choose to buy this rifle.

I am right now calling Customer Service too see what they can do. Employee discount maybe?

leave what you guys think.

locktime
12-13-2007, 12:01 PM
How old are you?

bwiese
12-13-2007, 12:02 PM
Hmm, sounds like age discrimination to me.

Which Big 5 is it? Who's the manager? (You can PM me if you care to.)

Cobrarlc
12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Give them Hell.

mds2004
12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
This sounds like fun. In on page one.

+1 on Cobraric

Stormfeather
12-13-2007, 3:39 PM
This sounds like fun. In on page one.

+1 on Cobraric

Ditto, marking this one to keep track!

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 3:45 PM
tag for more info

Black Majik
12-13-2007, 3:46 PM
subscribed.

WokMaster1
12-13-2007, 3:47 PM
so get this

I go into a Big 5 and see a Mosin M38 in awsome (Marked as an M44 I might add :rolleyes:) condition. I say I wanna buy it.

So the guy behind the counter goes and gets the Co-Store director. She looks at my I.D. and says "Do your parents know you are buying this?"

I was shocked and told her it did not matter and that I am an adult. She said she would not sell it to me and would not give me any reason at all. I asked if she thought I was doing a Straw purchase and she said no. She also said she knows there is a Background Investigation so she knows I have to pass that.

In the end, she talked to me like a child and would not sell me the rifle. I was furious, cause now I will have to wait 11 days from today should I choose to buy this rifle.

I am right now calling Customer Service too see what they can do. Employee discount maybe?

leave what you guys think.

How old are you again? I didn't get that 11 days thing.

JagerTroop
12-13-2007, 3:48 PM
assuming you are 18+, that is outright discrimination. F***ing Big 5... those guys (some of them) are tards. I would fight this all the way. Good luck. Keep us posted.

5150-417
12-13-2007, 3:51 PM
I wonder if that stupid manager's parents still know she's working at a f-ing big5?

Sydwaiz
12-13-2007, 3:55 PM
Threaten a lawsuit! I'm sure they will change their tune real quick.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 3:56 PM
Threaten a lawsuit! I'm sure they will change their tune real quick.

If he was a minority that just might work...

Ford8N
12-13-2007, 4:48 PM
Again, how old are you?

wilit
12-13-2007, 4:52 PM
Technically the store has the right to refuse service. But still, that sucks. Maybe she thought you had to be 21 to buy a long gun?

rorschach
12-13-2007, 4:56 PM
Tagged.

12-13-2007, 5:05 PM
Did you tell her that you do not live with your parents and have your own place?

Diablo
12-13-2007, 5:14 PM
Wow, I also want to know how this turns out. A discrimination lawsuit would be sweet....:43:

shinigami
12-13-2007, 5:23 PM
How old are you dude?

5150-417
12-13-2007, 5:25 PM
hey you still haven't told us your age, we need to know.

JeffM
12-13-2007, 5:26 PM
Tagged for updates.

I'd say make as big of a fuss as you can. Isn't it illegal to refuse service like this to someone who is legally qualified?

50 Freak
12-13-2007, 5:32 PM
Sounds like to me the store did right. Sounds like you are 11 days away from turning 18 and wanted to buy the gun thinking by the time you pick it up maybe you'll be 18????

quagmiles
12-13-2007, 5:47 PM
How old are you?

bwiese
12-13-2007, 5:47 PM
Sounds like to me the store did right. Sounds like you are 11 days away from turning 18 and wanted to buy the gun thinking by the time you pick it up maybe you'll be 18????

No 50, I think he's 18 - he used term 'adult':

"...I was shocked and told her it did not matter and that I
am an adult. She said she would not sell it to me and would
not give me any reason at all."

I think the clerk made a decision "this young guy, although legal doesn't get to buy a gun".

That's age-based discrimination. There is no way Big5 can articulate a corporate legal position supporting her behavior and in fact would have to distance themselves from her statements/behavior!

DB2
12-13-2007, 5:53 PM
HOW OLD ARE YOU!!!!!!:D

12-13-2007, 5:54 PM
I believe he is at least 18. He is selling a upper in the for sale forum and says he already has two lowers. He did ask a question about DROSing a firearm while on narcotics. Maybe this is the issue.

NeoWeird
12-13-2007, 6:00 PM
I believe he is at least 18. He is selling a upper in the for sale forum and says he already has two lowers. He did ask a question about DROSing a firearm while on narcotics. Maybe this is the issue.

Someone that takes narcotics is stupid enough to do other illegal things, like buying long guns without drosing them, including AR lowers, and no age limit on uppers. The fact that his last activity was at 6:30, 5.5 hours after he created this thread and less than half an hour ago, I'd say he is avoiding the subject to prevent incriminating himself. I've known all too many teenagers who think they are 'adults' because they can drive or they get booze from their parents or slept with their girlfriend or any other number of things that makes them think they are adults.

Hell, I'm 23 and married and I still don't think of myself as an adult; if I'm forced to define myself as child or adult, the choice is obvious, but in my mind I'm still an immature kid.

M. Sage
12-13-2007, 6:02 PM
Someone that takes narcotics is stupid enough to do other illegal things, like buying long guns without drosing them, including AR lowers, and no age limit on uppers.

Umm, if I remember the thread, he's got a prescription.

12-13-2007, 6:07 PM

Yes, he has a prescription. I was wondering if he mentioned it to the guy at the counter and that is why he went and got presumably a manager who refused the sale.

VeryCoolCat
12-13-2007, 6:09 PM

He is old enough to buy... I looked up his records... seems he bought a gun before.

He also already owns a mosin.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 6:12 PM
No 50, I think he's 18 - he used term 'adult':

"...I was shocked and told her it did not matter and that I
am an adult. She said she would not sell it to me and would
not give me any reason at all."

I think the clerk made a decision "this young guy, although legal doesn't get to buy a gun".

That's age-based discrimination. There is no way Big5 can articulate a corporate legal position supporting her behavior and in fact would have to distance themselves from her statements/behavior!

Get em Bill! :D

oaklander
12-13-2007, 6:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the "11 days" bit, though. . .

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 6:15 PM

its kind of like 2 weeks

TacFan
12-13-2007, 6:22 PM
what year were you born ?

JeffM
12-13-2007, 6:46 PM

Waiting period. Some places do 11 days instead of 10 for CYA reasons. Is the ten day waiting-period up if you started the paperwork at 3:00pm, and went to pick the gun up at 11:00am on the tenth day? Or would you be in violation by a few hours? 11 days makes 100% sure that at least ten 24-hour periods have passed.

chiefcrash
12-13-2007, 6:48 PM

meaning he can't physically posses the gun for at least another 11 days now (10 day wait + a day because big5 wouldn't start the DROS).

In reality, he should have said 12 days, because Big 5 won't let you pick up your gun 'til the 11th day

metalhead357
12-13-2007, 6:50 PM
subscribed...I love hearing Big 5 stories:D

mds2004
12-13-2007, 6:54 PM
meaning he can't physically posses the gun for at least another 11 days now (10 day wait + a day because big5 wouldn't start the DROS).

In reality, he should have said 12 days, because Big 5 won't let you pick up your gun 'til the 11th day

This is what I got out of it too.

StraightShooter
12-13-2007, 6:56 PM
He is old enough to buy... I looked up his records... seems he bought a gun before.

He also already owns a mosin.

Im curious... how do you know this stuff? What records are you talking about.

NeoWeird
12-13-2007, 7:01 PM
Im curious... how do you know this stuff? What records are you talking about.

That's what I am curious about. The OP's lack of reply is odd in the least; although not out of the norm. Simply because he has firearms doesn't mean he legally owns them. Of course on the same note, there is no way to know if this event is true either, or simply just the makings of someone who needs a little bit of attention from an internet forum.

Archenemy550
12-13-2007, 7:34 PM
Sorry, I had work today and this thing just asploded!

haha, I sure as hell gave them hell! I am 18.

I was told that the girl did not feel comfortable, so she stopped the sale

Big 5 customer service was AWSOME. They gave me 30% off of my next purchase.... which I bought a Ruger 10/22 and a Savage 64 FXP .22

I got 30% off on both and I was told sorry about 10 times. The lady who started this mess is being scolded, at leaast that was what I was told.

dondo
12-13-2007, 7:37 PM
asploded.

StraightShooter
12-13-2007, 7:59 PM
Just curious Archenemy, why do you have a link to a picture of crown royal in your sig line. Seeing as you just said you are 18 it may give some insight as to why someone might be reluctant to sell you a gun.

Blue
12-13-2007, 8:06 PM
asploded.

Change your damned avatar back to a good one.

Archenemy550
12-13-2007, 8:30 PM
In response to straight shooter:

That was an sign I made for an RCC presentation.... I made that using Photoshop CS2 and am proud of my work. Nowhere in there does it say that I consume alcoholic beverages. I also think it looks clean.

Also, how would an employee know my signature? And even if they did, what would it matter. I did not go into the store saying I drink, and I did not go in smelling like alcohol. I am a law abiding citizen, I have no law violations at ALL

If it offends anyone at all, please alert me and I will gladly remove it.

StraightShooter
12-13-2007, 8:40 PM
In response to straight shooter:

That was an sign I made for an RCC presentation.... I made that using Photoshop CS2 and am proud of my work. Nowhere in there does it say that I consume alcoholic beverages. I also think it looks clean.

Also, how would an employee know my signature? And even if they did, what would it matter. I did not go into the store saying I drink, and I did not go in smelling like alcohol. I am a law abiding citizen, I have no law violations at ALL

If it offends anyone at all, please alert me and I will gladly remove it.

Sorry to give you a hard time. I should have read some of your other posts before making that statement. You seem like a pretty stand up guy. Not to mention, my girlfriend is pissing me off right now so i think i needed to vent. My apologies. Also, i wasnt trying to say an employee could possibly see your sig line I was implying something else I guess. I just need to shut up and go to bed. Sorry again for the trouble.

Archenemy550
12-13-2007, 9:35 PM
Hey, No worries man. I totally understand with needing to vent sometimes, specially with a Girlfriend. :)

again, no hard feelings

Someone that takes narcotics is stupid enough to do other illegal things, like buying long guns without drosing them, including AR lowers, and no age limit on uppers. The fact that his last activity was at 6:30, 5.5 hours after he created this thread and less than half an hour ago, I'd say he is avoiding the subject to prevent incriminating himself. I've known all too many teenagers who think they are 'adults' because they can drive or they get booze from their parents or slept with their girlfriend or any other number of things that makes them think they are adults.

Hell, I'm 23 and married and I still don't think of myself as an adult; if I'm forced to define myself as child or adult, the choice is obvious, but in my mind I'm still an immature kid.

I want to clear this part up becasue it upsets me. I am 18 years old, and have been since March of this year. ALL of my firearms have been legally purchased. I do not break the law in any way shape or form, nor would I ever advocate breaking the law. All of my AR's are in legal configuration. My narcotics are legally prescribed and taken as prescribed. I have a legit medical problem. Just because I am in pain, it does not make me a criminal or a drug addict.

I did not say anything to the lady who refused the sale that would make her refuse the sale. As I stated before, her first question was that of asking about my parents. Also, the reason I did not respond to this thread right away, was the fact that I just forgot to check it.... not that I was avoiding it. I have done nothing wrong.

viras
12-13-2007, 10:05 PM
Hey Archenemy550 - if you want the image of your sig to show up as an image rather than a link, you have to surround it with image tags.

Put a [ img ] in front of it and a [ /img ] at the end of it. Please note, you have to remove the all of the spaces between the [ and img and ] characters.

Like this:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4677/crownhs5.gif

locktime
12-13-2007, 10:27 PM
This team can take the ball and run with it. Next thing you know there is an asplosion.

milsurpshooter
12-13-2007, 10:54 PM
asplosion is when a woodchuck catches a light bullet at 3000 fps and vaporizes.

Army
12-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I thought an asplosion was also known as a Texas heartshot :)

NeoWeird
12-14-2007, 1:35 AM
Archenemy (music?) please don't take offense at my comments. I was just shooting the **** and BSing with everyone else and it's easier to play Devil's advocate than be helpful. The first part of my statement was a general statement, not one aimed at you in particular, and I'm sorry that it was implied you were in that group - I should be clear next time. I actually had a similar event happen to me where I walked into a shop with my credit card and $3k cash with the intent of starting my serious gun collecting. I had purchased a Ruger 10/22 and wanted to get a M1A, two Voltquartsen 10/22s, and a rifle safe - their response? Voltquartsen was overpriced and I could get a normal 10/22 with all the parts for the price of their receiver. Their EXACT quote when I pulled out my wallet and said "I've already made up my mind" was "Why don't you go home and think about it, save your money, and when you've saved enough come back and we can talk again.' Guess who has NEVER gotten my business again even though they are <5 minutes from my house?

It sounds like they took care of you and you made some a couple good choices on firearms. I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Thanks, you know I am going to have a dream about this now and will wake up tomorrow feeling icky and slightly used. :eek:

dondo
12-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Kestryll keeps deleting them. Believe me I have a whole hard drive with avatar worthy pictures. Sometimes I go all day without putting on pants just staring at them.

FinalBoss
12-15-2007, 3:07 PM
Which Big 5 did this occur at?

Turbinator
12-15-2007, 4:43 PM
Sometimes I go all day without putting on pants just staring at them.

I won't even say what I want to say here. I think most can guess. :)

Turby

GSequoia
12-15-2007, 5:07 PM
Sometimes I go all day without putting on pants just staring at them.I won't even say what I want to say here. I think most can guess. :)

Turby

"That's hot?"

dfletcher
12-15-2007, 7:04 PM
Kestryll keeps deleting them. Believe me I have a whole hard drive with avatar worthy pictures. Sometimes I go all day without putting on pants just staring at them.

The ones that get on (at least for a while) ain't too shabby either. This is a family show - let's not speak of where one's pants go, please ........:yes:

N6ATF
12-15-2007, 9:11 PM
In the laundry, one would hope.

hitman13
12-15-2007, 10:38 PM
you can email those to me for review...

ar15barrels
12-16-2007, 12:26 AM

+1 to that. :cool2:

savageevo
12-16-2007, 7:34 AM
what made them poo-poo in there pants. Did Bwiese set then straight. You could have owned part of big five.

RANGER295
12-16-2007, 8:22 AM
I too have had problems with Big-5. Some of you may remember my shotgun buying incident about a month ago. I am actually just writing to corporate now. After I finally figured out a second issue that I will post an update about in the original thread. http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=884639#post884639 Anyway, I am glad it turned out ok for you.

FEDUPWBS
12-16-2007, 11:51 AM
Dondo you just earned aspot in my sig line, thanks!

Sam Hainn
12-16-2007, 9:20 PM

It has nothing to do with his age people - Big 5 MAKES people do an 11 day wait instead of the 10 day wait 'just to be sure' it's 10 days - :rolleyes: - for all DROSes because some days their store hours are different. They also have a fear of their employees being unable to count to 10. There've been other threads in the past tlaking about Big 5's 11 day wait and there was a Big 5 employee explaining other reasons too, about when they shut down their computers, close up the gun counter on certain nights, and other stuff.

Solidmch
12-16-2007, 9:35 PM
I had a young girl at the one in Fremont tell me she thought all guns were evil! She refused to sell me the green rem .223. I had to wait till her Manager returned from lunch for him to sell it to me. He apologized. He told me she refuses to sell anything having to deal with firearms. He also told me she was a PETA member and did not eat meat. I told him to fire her:43: He laughed and said she was a really good bookeeper. :rolleyes:

jandmtv
12-16-2007, 9:36 PM
i too have had a bad experience with big 5, after i got my mosin from them, they called me saying they got audited by the doj, and they lost some of my paper work, so i went back and filled out the paperwork again, and then a week later they call me back telling me, there is a problem yet again, when i asked what? they said the gun they regged in my name is sitting on their rack, so i ask what gun do i have, they said i dont know, the serial number on your paperwork maches the one on their rack. ohh i was pissed. i went back yet again and they corrected the serial number. and i got 25% discount on my next purchase after i raised hell in the store about their incompetence

oaklander
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Um, with all these problems with Big 5 - let me put in a plug for C&R licenses!!!

If you don't know - a C&R allows you to buy long guns that are 50 years old or older, from out of state, and have them shipped directly to your house. There's also some other benefits re: pistols, etc. - but I will leave for others to explain. . .

It just involves just a little paperwork to get the C&R - it's good for 3 years, and is cheap to get ($30).

See: http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp - it actually makes it sound more complicated than it is. It really involves filling out one form, sending a check, and sending a letter to your local CLEO.

Once you get it - you keep a the original license and photo copy it - then you sign the photocopies and send them to C&R dealers. Once they have your C&R - they put it on file, and you can order C&R rifles to your heart's content!!!

EDIT: you can also get dealer discounts - a lot of times you get the dealer price just as if you had a regular FFL!!!

Moonclip
12-16-2007, 10:15 PM
I had a young girl at the one in Fremont tell me she thought all guns were evil! She refused to sell me the green rem .223. I had to wait till her Manager returned from lunch for him to sell it to me. He apologized. He told me she refuses to sell anything having to deal with firearms. He also told me she was a PETA member and did not eat meat. I told him to fire her:43: He laughed and said she was a really good bookeeper. :rolleyes:

Shes probably good at something else too for her not to get fired, oh wait she doesn't eat meat:). I'd say a call to corporate would be in order about that refusal to sell ammunition.

peepshowal
12-17-2007, 9:22 PM

:50:

rue
12-17-2007, 11:40 PM
I just bought a shotgun from Big 5 without any problems whatsoever. Employee was very knowledgable younger guy and showed me the 870 on sale and the Mossberg 500 on sale and let me handle both to compare. Even pointed out the different advantages and disadvantages of both guns. I ended up buying one right there and in 10 days came back and picked her up. Smooth transaction. I have no problem buying there again from now on.

dfletcher
12-18-2007, 8:24 AM
Re the C & R, while I like having eligible rifles sent direct to my door I like the "out of state, buy face to face direct" handgun ability. Going to as many shows and being outside the PRK as often as I am, I never go without my C & R. I visited Maine earlier in the year & picked up a 3rd issue Colt Officers Match for about $400.00 less than could be had out here. Drove back cross country, almost bought a Reising @ Cabelas in Sydney, NE - too much $$$ though.

retired
12-18-2007, 1:50 PM
Sometimes I go all day without putting on pants just staring at them.

I threw up in my mouth a little bit.:eek:

MidnightSon117
12-19-2007, 1:57 PM
The Big 5 over in Daly City is pretty good about their stuff. I reasoned with the guy who handles the firearms about the 11-day wait, and said on my pick-up day at 10 days, they'd still be open, so could I please pick it up that night instead of the next day?

It worked, and I've now owned my 870 one day longer than Big 5 policy thought I should have :)

They also have some good ammo sales...occasionally.

Holocanthus
12-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Second the ammo sales. They had a sale on Remmington 9mm for $8.99 a box a while back but only had 7 boxes. They gave me a rain check and I wound up with 60 boxes at that price. Now I'm just hoping they have that sale again before I run out.

Knight
12-20-2007, 12:09 AM

Eeeeeeew