PDA

View Full Version : Huck vs Fred

PressCheck
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jHNSjKV05TQ

Great video for those not in "the know."

jmlivingston
12-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Great video? No, not really. It's nothing but a commercial for Fred Thompson.

John

bwiese
12-13-2007, 12:23 PM
Whenever Huck opens his mouth, it's free advertising for Fred & others (and the democrats to boot).

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
+1 for Fred!

FortCourageArmory
12-13-2007, 12:28 PM
Whenever Huck opens his mouth, it's free advertising for Fred & others (and the democrats to boot).

My feelings exactly.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 12:30 PM
The Huckster as the nominee will mean that the GOP ahs no chance whatsoever in the General.

His remarks and positions are considered by 90% of independents and decline to states to be "batsh*t crazy"

bwiese
12-13-2007, 12:38 PM
The Huckster as the nominee will mean that the GOP has no chance whatsoever in the General.

His remarks and positions are considered by 90% of independents and decline to states to be "batsh*t crazy"

Yeah. Too bad, too because he has a pleasant personality & demeanor that goes over nicely if he'd just STFU, and has shown some grace at debates.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 12:40 PM
Yeah. Too bad, too because he has a pleasant personality & demeanor that goes over nicely if he'd just STFU, and has shown some grace at debates.

I believe the phrase, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool...than to speak and remove all doubt"

applies here

xrMike
12-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Not much to choose from on the Republican side this time around -- Ghouly-Anny is not an option; Romney comes off like a used car salesman rather than a president; Thompson's mouth moves around but nothing of substance comes out -- he's the master of meaningless verbalization -- plus he's just NOT presidential material; Huckleberry, well, I don't know about him because I haven't paid him much attention yet; Ron Paul, well he doesn't stand much of a chance of winning, but I'll probably vote for him anyway...

Besides R.P., it's sad what the Republican party is reduced to this time around. And voting for a Democrat is simply not an option either.

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Thompson's mouth moves around but nothing of substance comes out -- he's the master of meaningless verbalization --

You do know that he is the only candidate to release detailed written plans on how he plans to fix social security/medicare and reform the tax code?

Not to mention the same on the issue of illegal immigration on border security.

Links can be provided upon request :D

PressCheck
12-13-2007, 1:23 PM
You do know that he is the only candidate to release detailed written plans on how he plans to fix social security/medicare and reform the tax code?

Not to mention the same on the issue of illegal immigration on border security.

Links can be provided upon request :D

Fred is also a BIG Friend of the 2nd.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 1:24 PM

Huge!

He has formed the Sportsmen for Fred coalition and is reaching out to gun owners here in CA and nationwide.

I became a member of the coalition last week.

TTT
12-13-2007, 1:37 PM
Soldier415: Links can be provided upon request.

What the heck, let’s see the links. Haven’t been impressed by Fred so far, but I’m not willing to vote for any of the other GOP candidates (particularly RP), so I might as well give Fred’s stuff a look-see.

hitman13
12-13-2007, 1:40 PM
+1 bazillion for fred!!

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 1:45 PM
What the heck, let’s see the links. Haven’t been impressed by Fred so far, but I’m not willing to vote for any of the other GOP candidates (particularly RP), so I might as well give Fred’s stuff a look-see.

Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Plan
http://www.fred08.com/virtual/Immigration.aspx

Tax Relief and Economic Growth (with provisions for a Flat Tax)
http://www.fred08.com/virtual/taxrelief.aspx

Saving and Protecting Social Security:
A Plan to Ensure Retirement Security for All Americans
http://www.fred08.com/virtual/socialsecurity.aspx

Revitalizing America's Armed Forces
Fred Thompson's Plan to Strengthen the Long Term Security of the United States
http://www.fred08.com/virtual/defenseplan.aspx

Education Plan
http://www.fred08.com/Virtual/Education.aspx

Fred Thompson writes on SCOTUS and the DC Gun Ban Case
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=75986&highlight=Fred+Thompson+SCOTUS

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 1:48 PM
Oh, and the announcement of Sportsmen for Fred. Check out the words of praise and steering committee members.

Fred is definately superman when it comes to 2A

Thompson Campaign Announces Sportsmen for Fred Steering Committee

McLean, VA - Today the Fred Thompson campaign announced its Sportsmen for Fred Thompson leadership and steering committee. Iowa State Representative and NRA Board Member Clel Baudler, Gerald Stoudemire, Michael Bane, Bill Bunting, and Lee Ann Tarducci will serve as Co-Chairs of Sportsmen for Fred Thompson.

Clel Baudler has represented the 58th district of Iowa in the state legislature since 1998. He currently sits on the Judiciary, Natural Resources and Oversight committees and is the ranking member of the Public Safety Committee. A retired state trooper, State Representative Baudler also sits on the Board of Directors of the National Rifle Association.

"Fred Thompson has been an unapologetic supporter of the Second Amendment throughout his career and I am honored to be on his team. He is somebody that Second Amendment supporters, hunters, and sportsmen will have as an ally in the White House," said Iowa State Representative and NRA Board Member Clel Baudler. "He has the experience, commitment to conservative principles and understanding of the rule of law that we need leading this nation."

Gerald Stoudemire is a 15-year member and current President of the Gun Owners of South Carolina. The owner of a gun store in Little Mountain, SC, Stoudemire is a NRA Benefactor Member. He has served the Little Mountain community for over 40 years as a volunteer firefighter, including 22 years as the Volunteer Fire Chief.

"I am so pleased to be serving as Co-Chair of Sportsmen for Fred," said Gerald Stoudemire. "Fred Thompson can be trusted on the Second Amendment. He is the only candidate with a consistent record that reflects an understanding of the protection provided under the Second Amendment, and will go to the mat to defend it. I am pleased to offer my support to his campaign and will do everything I can to help Fred win."

Michael Bane is in his eighth season as the host of Shooting Gallery, one of the highest rated shows on the Outdoor Channel. He is the founder and executive producer of Down Range Television, the largest firearms-oriented community website that receives more than 250,000 individual viewers per month. The owner of the Michael Bane Blog, he is a contributor to Outdoor Life Magazine. Bane is the author of 21 books and has been chronicled in numerous publications including Men's Journal, National Geographic Adventure, and Men's Health.

"The so-called 'gun culture' is in fact the mainstream culture of America, and Fred Thompson is the only candidate who understands that simple truth," said Michael Bane. "Through our license fees, our purchases and our contributions, we represent billions of dollars in annual commerce; through our willingness to accept personal responsibility for our safety, we have seen our fellow citizens benefit as crime rates have fallen across our country; through our resolute belief in the Founders' intentions, we have moved toward a better, stronger America. Fred Thompson understands these things because he is more than a candidate...he is one of us."

"I am so honored to have the support of these leading 2nd Amendment advocates, hunters, sportsmen and gun collectors from across the country," said Senator Fred Thompson. "These folks know the real effect of gun control measures is to place onerous restrictions on law-abiding citizens who use firearms for legal activities such as hunting, self-defense, sport-shooting, and collecting. I am committed to fighting for the rights assured to law abiding citizens under the Second Amendment."

Senator Thompson visited with voters today at the Land of the Sky Gun Show in Ladson, South Carolina.

The Sportsmen for Fred Thompson Steering Committee includes:

National Co-Chairs
Clel Baudler (Iowa), Iowa State Representative and National Rifle Association Board Member
Gerald Stoudemire (South Carolina), President, Gun Owners of South Carolina
Bill Bunting (Florida), Chairman, Governor Charlie Christ's Second Amendment Rights Coalition
Lee Ann Tarducci (South Carolina), Board Member and Operations Director, Second Amendment Sisters of South Carolina
Michael Bane (Colorado), Host and Producer of "Shooting Gallery" on The Outdoor Channel

Members:

South Carolina
Kirkman Finlay, Columbia, South Carolina City Councilman

New Hampshire
Stephen Lee, Endowment Member of the NRA (18+ years) and member of Gun Owners of America
Paul Erhardt, Firearm Industry Executive

California
Wally Beinfeld, Shows Director, Beinfeld Productions MB
John Bianchi, Author, Blue Steel and Gun Leather

Tennessee
Ronnie Barrett, Founder, Barrett Firearms Company
Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, Tennessee Lieutenant Governor

Texas
Jerry Patterson, Texas Land Commissioner

Arizona
Scott Moore, Firearm Industry Executive

TTT
12-13-2007, 2:38 PM
Thanks Soldier415.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 2:41 PM
Thanks Soldier415.

You're very welcome. I always enjoy being helpful...and being a PITA from time to time :D

Let me know if you want more info on Freds stances on other issues

mk19
12-13-2007, 2:52 PM
I saw a video once of huck when he was the governor, made fun of by a canadian tv show. he is gonna be GWII.

CalNRA
12-13-2007, 3:05 PM
go Fred.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 3:11 PM
Anyone here involved with his campaign or the gun owners for Fred coalition?

troyus
12-13-2007, 3:21 PM

He's also a huge friend of Scooter Libby.

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=32294

Just what we need in washington...:shrug:

PressCheck
12-14-2007, 9:12 AM

Just what we need in washington...:shrug:

And your point is???

bwiese
12-14-2007, 9:25 AM

Nobody can tell me what Scooter Libby really did wrong other than playing politics. F***k Valerie Plame, she just want reeligibility for her old job.

Except maybe being a good example of WHY YOU NEVER TALK TO INVESTIGATORS.

MikeK
12-14-2007, 9:27 AM
Nobody can tell me what Scooter Libby really did wrong other than playing politics.
Oh. . .I'm sure there are plenty of people that can tell you what he really did wrong.

Whether you want to hear them is another story.

Soldier415
12-14-2007, 9:41 AM
Nobody can tell me what Scooter Libby really did wrong other than playing politics.

They were investigating who leaked the info, big scandal, Libby didnt leak the info but they needed to prosecute SOMEONE for SOMETHING so they could put the issue to bed.

So they used Libby as a scapegoat. I mean, he worked for Dick Cheney right? He had to be evil and be punished

PressCheck
12-14-2007, 10:27 AM

Here's another site, and message board on Fred.
http://draftfredthompson.com/

Soldier415
12-14-2007, 10:28 AM
Here's another site, and message board on Fred.
http://draftfredthompson.com/

Lot of good stuff there. I have been a member there for a long while now.

Soldier415
12-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Blog Article from Rick Moran. Funny how he lays it all out perfectly.

12/13/2007
FRED VS. HUCK: SUBSTANCE VS. STUPID

http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archives/2007/12/13/fred-vs-huck-substance-vs-stupid/

The 40% of Iowans who self identify as Christian conservatives evidently don’t get out much. Either that, or they’ve simply decided to take an early Christmas holiday from reality. Otherwise, I can’t understand why so many would have fallen so completely for the flim flam being perpetrated by the least knowledgeable, least prepared, and most backward thinking of all the Republican candidates in the field -and that includes candidates going back to the 1950’s.

I am talking about the walking, talking disaster-in-the-making that is Mike Huckabee – former governor of a small, impoverished state, a baptist preacher whose conservative views on social issues make him a perfect candidate for the Leave it to Beaver wing of the GOP, and a man whose thinking is so shallow a warning sign should be plastered on his forehead reading “Absolutely no diving beyond this point.”

Now one might think the best way to get our Iowa brethren to abandon this silly love affair with a silly candidate would not accuse them of being dunces. I disagree. Sometimes, you need to throw a bucket of cold water on people to call their attention to erroneous thinking. And I would think they would find that preferable to the buckets of bullsh*t Huckabee has been tossing their way for months.

Kevin Drum is a liberal Democrat but a keen political observer nevertheless. When I find myself in total agreement with someone from the other side, you’ve got to believe that either some liberal witch has cast a spell on me or we both see the same thing from the empty headed former fatty from Arkansas:

Ross Douthat has more on the fact that Mike Huckabee is basically just making stuff up as he goes along and plainly doesn’t have clue about most of the things he’s asked about. Economic policy? How about a 30% sales tax? Foreign policy? He likes Tom Friedman and Frank Gaffney, two pop commentators with almost nothing in common. Energy policy? Let’s eliminate oil imports by 2017. Immigration policy? Ship everyone back to Mexico. Etc. It’s grade school stuff.

And not to beat this into the ground, but what’s really astounding about this is that nobody actually seems to care much. But eventually somebody will, because eventually this weird combination of barstool ignorance and internet-email-list credulity is bound to produce a howler of the kind that the press likes to latch onto. There’s no telling what it will be, but it’s coming, and when it does the Huckabee boomlet will be over.

Drum didn’t mention health care. Here are the Huckster’s deep thoughts on fulfilling a promise he made yesterday in the debate where he said that by the end of his term as president, all Americans would be covered by health insurance:

I advocate policies that will encourage the private sector to seek innovative ways to bring down costs and improve the free market for health care services. We have to change a system that happily pays $30,000 for a diabetic to have his foot amputated, but won’t pay for the shoes that would save his foot.

We can make health care more affordable by reforming medical liability; adopting electronic record keeping; making health insurance more portable from one job to another; expanding health savings accounts to everyone, not just those with high deductibles; and making health insurance tax deductible for individuals and families as it now is for businesses. Low income families would get tax credits instead of deductions. We don’t need all the government controls that would inevitably come with universal health care. When I’m President, Americans will have more control of their health care options, not less.

Boilerplate mush and about as detailed as a connect-the-dots Santa drawing. Besides, you might note all those nifty tax deductions and tax credits. I wonder how he squares that with his tax policy?

I’d like you to join me at the best “Going Out of Business” sale I can imagine – one held by the Internal Revenue Service. Am I running for president to shut down the federal government? Not exactly. But I am running to completely eliminate all federal income and payroll taxes. And I do mean all – personal federal, corporate federal, gift, estate, capital gains, alternative minimum, Social Security, Medicare, self-employment. All our hours filling out forms, all our payments for help with those forms, all our shopping bags filled with disorganized receipts, all our headaches and heartburn from tax stress will vanish. Instead we will have the FairTax, a simple tax based on wealth. When the FairTax becomes law, it will be like waving a magic wand releasing us from pain and unfairness.

The FairTax will replace the Internal Revenue Code with a consumption tax, like the taxes on retail sales forty-five states and the District of Columbia have now. All of us will get a monthly rebate that will reimburse us for taxes on purchases up to the poverty line, so that we’re not taxed on necessities. That means people below the poverty line won’t be taxed at all. We’ll be taxed on what we decide to buy, not what we happen to earn.

Now I’m no economist or policy wonk or anything but how are we going to give poor folk a tax credit to buy health insurance if there’s no such animal in Governor Huckabee’s brave new Fair Tax world?

Just askin’...

Drum mentioned conservative blogger Ross Douthat who interviewed Huckabee last month and was struck by his unpreparedness for national office:

But when it comes to preparedness, to the hard work of scaling up one’s understanding from state-level challenges to national issues that any aspiring candidate needs to do, Huckabee is way out of his depth. This was my sense talking to him, certainly. Set him off on health care or education or what-have-you in the context of Arkansas politics, and he’s got enough juice to make you think: Here’s a guy who might make a good President. But widen the focus to the nation as a whole, and you’re left thinking: Here’s a smart guy who hasn’t come close to doing his homework. For a charming also-ran with a chance at the Vice-Presidency, that wasn’t a problem. For someone leading in Iowa, it is.

You can’t help but compare the vapid and depthless “policy” ideas extruded from the Huckabee campaign machine with the meaty, thoughtful, and detailed “white papers” issued by the Thompson campaign.

Take Fred’s detailed tax plan that was praised by the Club for Growth and the National Review among other conservative media. In it’s 7 points, Thompson lays out a coherent, conservative plan to cut taxes on individuals and businesses. He couples that with a spending plan that envisions widespread and necessary reform of entitlements along with an end to pork barrel projects. It is a demonstration of muscular – some might even say courageous – thinking that makes Huckabee’s campaign for class president platform look silly by comparison.

By all that is right and fair in the world, Fred Thompson should have enjoyed that surge that Huckabee experienced over the last month. But then, Fred didn’t run around Iowa hinting the Mormonism isn’t really a Christian sect in order to pander to the baser instincts of Christian conservatives. Nor does Fred have the ready charm and unctuous delivery of the sermonizing Huckster. Fred is, well, Fred. He heaves his 6’5” frame up to speak and delivers it straight from the shoulder – no gimmicks, few wasted words.

And little inspiration, I’m afraid. While yesterday’s debate showed an animated Fred Thompson, even a passionate Fred at times, his claim is on our heads, not our hearts. For some reason, he has not made that personal connection a candidate must make with the voter that marks the difference between a contender and an also-ran. Perhaps he can take these last few weeks before the Caucuses and find a way to reach beyond the intellectual and touch people’s emotions. If he can discover a way to do that, he has a chance to surprise the field.

In the meantime, Huckabee’s obvious failings as a candidate are lost on the voters in Iowa who may actually agree with a statement signed by Huckabee in 1998 contained in a full page ad in USA Today that declared:

“I affirm the statement on the family issued by the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention.” What was in the family statement from the SBC? “A wife is to submit herself graciously to the servant leadership of her husband even as the church willingly submits to the headship of Christ.”

The ad wasn’t just a blanket, “we support the SBC statement,” but rather highlighted details. The ad Huckabee signed specifically said of the SBC family statement: “You are right because you called wives to graciously submit to their husband’s sacrificial leadership.”

That’s 1998 not 1898, by the way.

Nor do many Iowa supporters of this neophyte on foreign policy care that he wants to drop the economic blockade against Cuba (Or at least he did 3 years ago. Where he’ll be on the issue next week is anyone’s guess) and talk to the Iranians (a la Obama). It also doesn’t seem to matter that the guy granted twice as many pardons and clemencies to state prisoners as his three predecessors combined.

As long as Huckabee is right on their issues, he could be revealed as an empty headed lout and still get their support.

A sad state of affairs, indeed.