PDA

View Full Version : In the SJ Mercury Opinion 12.13.07

arster
12-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Another SJMN anti-gun submission in their Opinion section from a reader:

SJMN-Opinion-December 13, 2007
Let's examine our
weapons position
The latest string of shootings caps a year that included one of the deadliest shooting sprees on record at Virginia Tech. In the last week we have had shootings in Omaha, Colorado and now Las Vegas. And while all this is going on, none of our presidential candidates dare touch this sovereign right lest they lose a vote here or there. It is time to discuss some limits on the sale and disposition of guns before we all feel the need to carry them to protect ourselves, a position incidentally held by Mike Huckabee. I don't believe the framers of our Constitution meant to put deadly weapons in the hands of teenagers with a grudge or anyone else who has an issue with society.
Ray Cosyn
Saratoga

My response I have written to SJMN and posted on their site..

First Examine the Details....

"Ray Cosyn’s “Let’s examine our weapons position” contribution missed numerous main details to the very tragedies he points to. Almost all the areas, whether campus or mall were already “gun-free zones”. These “zones” make those who visit them easy targets as criminals rarely abide to such law and know they are “target rich”. Secondly, many times including in the recent church shooting, heroic efforts of armed persons came to slow or stop the carnage before police ever arrived. Disarming law abiding and properly trained people misses one of the tenets of the Second Amendment, which is for people to be able defend themselves. No the Framers would never condone the behavior of these perpetrators, but rather to promote our ability to protect ourselves from them."

bwiese
12-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Another 'elite' from an isolated, privileged area.

Saratoga's PD is almost like a private guard service, esp in relation to cops/household with only a limited number of service calls. No gang stuff, not much day-to-day crime, secluded $1.2M - $5M homes, many kids go to private school - it's a very quiet community and is one of the areas that pulls Santa Clara county average crime stats down enough they can brag about 'em...

CCWFacts
12-13-2007, 11:01 AM
Saratoga is like some private universe of unreality. You wouldn't even know it exists unless someone takes you on a tour of it, and when you're done with the tour, you understand that there are separate worlds in this country.

Yeah, no one in Saratoga needs a gun, because, as BW says, Saratoga PD operates as a private security guard force. If I had Saratoga PD watching my back I wouldn't need a gun either.

Re: "I don't believe the framers of our Constitution meant to put deadly weapons in the hands of teenagers with a grudge or anyone else who has an issue with society." No they didn't. Neither does the NRA or anyone in the mainstream gun rights movement. The NRA supports keeping guns out of the hands of unsupervised teenagers and children. The NRA supports background checks, to include mental health record checks. That system works.

"It is time to discuss some limits on the sale and disposition of guns" Yeah there are already byzantine and very serious limits on manufacture, sale and disposition of guns. There are BG checks on all buyers in this state.

"before we all feel the need to carry them to protect ourselves, a position incidentally held by Mike Huckabee." I love how these types of writers talk about "everyone" or "all" carrying guns. Um, no. Even in gun-crazy shall-issue states like Arkansas, CCW issuance percentage rates are in the low single digits. But somehow to him, 2% is equivalent to "all".

bwiese
12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
The Saratoga letter writer, Ray Cosyn, is on the Saratoga Historical Foundation Board of Directors. He was (in 2000) a Director of Marketing Operations for Auspex, and before that in a similar role for Hitachi Info systems so he can certainly afford to live in an isolated enclave.

http://www.saratogahistory.com/board_of_directors.htm

Perhaps a board member of an historical foundation should not have his name tied to other political matters?

Seems to me a bit like Andres Soto working for the Wellness Foundation and using its name/letterhead etc when frequently talking to Alison about SKS/AW regulation.

Scout106
12-13-2007, 7:01 PM
Hey Bill, tell me the name of the Chief of Police for Saratoga P.D.. And what color uniform do they wear? Only a security guard force you say?

Last I knew, the City of Saratoga contracts for police services with the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department, as do the cities of Los Altos Hills and Cupertino, and has forever. Santa Clara is the 4th largest county in CA and the largest in NorCal. The Sheriff has a bomb disposal unit, SWAT and Hostage Negotiation Teams, Off Road details, K-9, Motorcycle and traffic units, Narcotics, Detectives, Transportation, Search & Rescue, SCUBA, Civil, Crowd Control and many other specialized law enforcement units in addition to their uniformed patrol division.

I wouldn't advise you ever call a Deputy Sheriff a security guard.

Oh, by the way, you will recognize them by their uniforms, tan and green rather than dark blue.

bwiese
12-13-2007, 8:02 PM
Hey Bill, tell me the name of the Chief of Police for Saratoga P.D.. And what color uniform do they wear? Only a security guard force you say?

Last I knew, the City of Saratoga contracts for police services with the Santa Clara County Sheriff's Department....

You missed my point. Regardless of the contract status of whoever patrols that area, I was saying it's such a low-crime, exclusive area that services are fairly relaxed, and that the SJ Merc letter writer has little to fear living in his isolated community.

jess
12-13-2007, 8:43 PM
My grandparent have lived in Saratoga for so long my Grandfather tells me stories of when they use to shoot the rifles in the back yard all day long without complaints. Hell he once had an old gunpowder log splitter in the front yard! Now their neighbors fight over colors of houses and styles of fences. :eek: