PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a resident of two states

Prc329
12-13-2007, 7:39 AM
This thought crossed my mind this morning. Could you be a resident in two states. Say if you owned a house in California and had one in Nevada could you be a CA resident as well as an NV resident? With IDs in both states, etc?

Mute
12-13-2007, 7:42 AM
Yes you can.

Prc329
12-13-2007, 7:48 AM
How would that pertain to firearms laws. Could I have dual residency and get my tax stamp in NV or where ever the second state is? etc?

Waingro
12-13-2007, 7:49 AM
But you can't have two residences in the same state?

Hunter
12-13-2007, 8:13 AM
This thought crossed my mind this morning. Could you be a resident in two states. Say if you owned a house in California and had one in Nevada could you be a CA resident as well as an NV resident? With IDs in both states, etc?

As long as you actually live in both states you can. But just owning a house/property in NV doesn't by itself qualify you as a resident, even under ATF rules. As for getting a tax stamp item, the best bet would be to form 1) corporation or 2) a trust in NV and then that entity would own the NFA item(s). Good part about this is anyone in the corp would have use of the toys or anyone in the trust, even after you are long gone. Compared to just you having sole ownership if you got the tax stamp with your name on it.

KDOFisch
12-13-2007, 10:05 AM
See now this is interesting, because I do have a Nevada LLC. Anyone know what kind of procedures I would have to look into with ATF etc for buying fun toys through the corporation?

Hunter
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
See now this is interesting, because I do have a Nevada LLC. Anyone know what kind of procedures I would have to look into with ATF etc for buying fun toys through the corporation?

If the corp has a valid NV address that it is doing business at and a place to secure the weapons, then the procedure is the same as one would follow for getting a NFA weapon as an individual. Just in place of the individual's name, the Corporation name is used. Also one doesn't need local LEO signoffs if it is for a corporation.

bwiese
12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
One should use care doing this esp w/NFA.

There apparently was a fairly prominent CA poster on ARFcom sometime back (i.e, quite a few years ago, may not have hung out on hometown forum) who finagled getting listed as an employee of a NV ClassIII licensee and a 2nd NV address, and started having all sortsa nice toys. He got popped by ATF (as well as the dealer) and disappeared for awhile - then reappeared again with all sorts of enticing suggestions.

Soldier415
12-13-2007, 10:35 AM
I think it is possible. Michael Moore's fat *ss resides in two zip codes...

Glock22Fan
12-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Am I suffering from deja vu, or didn't we just have this thread a week or two back?

I kinda remember, because it was pointed out that I was wrong in my post there (the second time in the last two centuries :))

Hunter
12-13-2007, 10:58 AM
One should use care doing this esp w/NFA.....

I agree. That is why one needs to have a valid NV corporation with a valid presence,actively doing business from NV and where one maintains an office. Which means anymore, having a physical address, NV bank accounts, NV phone service, mail service, plus paying rent/lease or ownership of the office property. Otherwords a bonafide business!

IRS has started to crack down on the old "resident agent" approach that a lot of CA residents used for their "NV Corp".

hoffmang
12-13-2007, 12:15 PM
But back to the core question, one can be a resident of more than one state as long as one spends real amounts of time in both.

-Gene

Riodog
12-13-2007, 3:06 PM
But back to the core question, one can be a resident of more than one state as long as one spends real amounts of time in both.

-Gene

I asked this very question a few years ago to the state of Az. I was told that I would need an Az id card and while I was in residence in the state that I was considered a resident. I need to keep my Calif d/l for my employment but an Az id would suffice. As soon as I came back home to Calif then I was once again a Calif resident.

As for the playtoys, I was told that it was legal but that Calif might not be too enthused about the deal. "OH Sh*t, here comes Iggy with his title 3 gun sniffing dog"!!! I didn't pursue it so maybe it's time for a trial run.
Rio

dustoff31
12-13-2007, 5:11 PM
I was told that I would need an Az id card and while I was in residence in the state that I was considered a resident. I need to keep my Calif d/l for my employment but an Az id would suffice. As soon as I came back home to Calif then I was once again a Calif resident.

This is exactly what I do, except AZ D/L and CA ID Card.

hoffmang
12-13-2007, 6:14 PM
The advice I'd give is that NFA toys and actual AWs should stay in your other state of residence. It looks like you can bring off list handguns back if you fill out the import form and pay $19.

-Gene

dustoff31
12-13-2007, 6:58 PM
The advice I'd give is that NFA toys and actual AWs should stay in your other state of residence. It looks like you can bring off list handguns back if you fill out the import form and pay $19.

-Gene

Excellent advice for NFAs and AWs. I just don't feel the need to bring them back, although BOF said that I could bring back my AWs that were registered back in '91 when I lived here full time.

Riodog
12-13-2007, 7:02 PM
Thank you for replies Dustoff31 and Hoffmang,

I would just like to stess the importance of getting the correct information and then rechecking for accuracy. Way back when, I owned a place at the river on reservation land but on the California side. I spent 1 entire week getting jerked around by the Crit indian tribe trying to get an answer to the question...." CAN I own a fully automatic weapon on tribal land?" Sovereign nation and all that crap. They couldn't even give me a straight answer. I got a lot of great answers unfortunately not the correct ones. (by the way->the answer is no).

Rio

dustoff31
12-13-2007, 7:10 PM
Thank you for replies Dustoff31 and Hoffmang,

I would just like to stess the importance of getting the correct information and then rechecking for accuracy. Way back when, I owned a place at the river on reservation land but on the California side. I spent 1 entire week getting jerked around by the Crit indian tribe trying to get an answer to the question...." CAN I own a fully automatic weapon on tribal land?" Sovereign nation and all that crap. They couldn't even give me a straight answer. I got a lot of great answers unfortunately not the correct ones. (by the way->the answer is no).

Rio

Yeah, those folks make their own rules. There are several reservations in AZ that won't recognize an AZ CCW.

Dump1567
12-14-2007, 8:27 AM
I have a house in AZ that I spend time at.

AZ notorized trust from Willmaker
Form 1 with AZ address as storage
Engraved reciever with trust name and city, AZ

= SBR's in my AZ safe.:)

Nothing comes into CA.