PDA

View Full Version : Taser/Stun?

nona
12-13-2007, 5:29 AM
(Please move if I picked the wrong sub-forum)

Concealed carry is not likely where I live right now. I am considering other options. I lookedup a bit about stun guns / tasers and appears they are CA legal for CA citizens. Any recommendations? The Taser C2 seems about the right size. This wouldn't be an everyday alltime carrying kind of thing. Just when walking late at nite or early in morning. At theese times I'm the only one around (I hope) I'm looking for sort of a last ditch, give me time to get away type ofg thing.

1911su16b870
12-13-2007, 7:10 AM
Get yourself the Taser C2, sounds like a good idea to me! You can carry it legally in CA 24/7 if you choose. Just remember, max range pushes at 15-feet and both probes need to contact the bad guy for it to work. If one hits, you have to tag him with the unit for it to work.

MudCamper
12-13-2007, 8:36 AM
I've considered a Taser, but the problem is it's only one shot. Most violent crime these days is committed by multiple thugs.

12-13-2007, 8:39 AM
Taser C2 doesn't look bad. I have no personal experience with it, but I do have experience with the X26 model. As 1911 stated, make sure you are within the 15' range if you deploy it. Keep in mind that it is considered a "Less Lethal" weapon and result may vary from person to person. Also remember after the taser stops transmitting the electrical pulses, the suspect can start fighting again. I would say that it is definitely better then pepper spray.

12-13-2007, 8:43 AM
I've considered a Taser, but the problem is it's only one shot. Most violent crime these days is committed by multiple thugs.

You only have one shot with the probes. Even after the probes are deployed, you can still stun someone by making contact with them and the end of the cartridge (X26 model, but I believe the C2 too).

nona
12-13-2007, 6:30 PM
Keep in mind that it is considered a "Less Lethal" weapon and result may vary from person to person. Also remember after the taser stops transmitting the electrical pulses, the suspect can start fighting again. I would say that it is definitely better then pepper spray.

I understand that's it's not a magic wand and does not guaranteed that I'll be safe. To me, it's a last ditch sort of tool. If I need it, I'm already in a bad situation because I'm trapped in danger.

Are there other options/things like this I should consider?

12-13-2007, 6:41 PM
There is an endless supply of self defense gadgets on the internet. Where you run in to problems is finding something that is legal to carry and possess. I think the C2 would accommodate what you are looking for. Have you considered applying for a CCW?

nona
12-14-2007, 4:05 AM
Have you considered applying for a CCW?

I live in Santa Clara county about as no-issue as it can be. I guess that I should try just to go thru the process of being rejected. I am not tooo sure that really early morning dog walks are good cause in the LEOs point of view.

WolfMansDad
12-14-2007, 10:06 AM

True, but after you tase one of them, it's multiple thugs minus one. Minus two if you get the jump on another in the instant of confusion that follows the first being tased. You guys can fight one-on-one, right?

Of course, if they are carrying firearms, that screws up your odds a bit.

Waldo
12-14-2007, 7:27 PM
I looked at this option real hard a couple of months ago, as it seemed like a great alternative. Two things threw me off, and if I've misunderstood, maybe someone more "in the know" can enlighten me:

1. They want my Social Security number. Now, I can understand background checks and all of that, but my SS #, too? Don't even need that for a handgun purchase. The sales person keeps your SS# in his home safe after sending the info to the company for the background check, (Per the sale person)

2. They want to come out to your house to give you an "introductory lesson". Not meet you someplace or come to a classroom. They want to see where you live. (again, per the sales guy).

krby
12-14-2007, 7:48 PM
1. They want my Social Security number.

Who is they?

2. They want to come out to your house to give you an "introductory lesson".

Training isn't bad, if I get to pick the trainer. What does that cost?

Waldo
12-14-2007, 9:10 PM
"They" being the manufacturer of the Taser product.

I'm all for the training that goes with the product, but with it having to be at your place of residence seems to be an excuse to further pry into my privacy that should be no business of theirs....:D

rivviepop
12-15-2007, 9:11 AM
agreed - privacy is not a crime and this is why I don't like the policy behind the Taser company; they require you to do a background check before actually unlocking the device for you, and you have to buy their refill kits in the same way (i.e. they know about it, so might/would ask why and so forth). I talked at length with a local shop employee who's very knowledgeable about them (they keep one under the counter, he pulled it out and explained all the parts and stuff for me), what it takes to get one and so on so I feel pretty informed from a layman's point of view.

If it were regulated by the DOJ (ala DROS) then I wouldn't have as much an issue complying with the law (as much as I might not like it), but for a private company to try and additionally infringe my rights to privacy I do not agree. I do however support the right of anyone who wishes to carry one, maybe you'll save my a** some day. :)

saki302
12-15-2007, 12:41 PM
I bought a used X26 LE model, no check, nada, from a gun shop out of state :D

Sure, it's only one shot, but NO ONE wants to get hit by one. The bad guys know what it is, and know what it feels like. It's not gun deterrent, but against a knife or multiple fist thugs, it'll do just fine.
My retired cop buddy described it as his can of 'shut the F up'.

-Dave