PDA

View Full Version : meeting an attorney?

nona
12-13-2007, 5:21 AM
I have seen several posters that recommend I have the contact information of a good firearms attorney with me. Carrying around a card or something. I'm not planning anything, this just for those remote oh-**** situations that we prepare for but hope never happen.

Should I contact the attorney ahead of time and tell him or her that I'm planning to do this? Do I need to setup a meeting just to say "Hi?" That seems silly, but I have no idea how theese things are done.

I'll probably pick Donald Kilmer, as he is mentioned often for the Bay Area.

Glock22Fan
12-13-2007, 9:58 AM
Just contact him and ask if he has a card you can carry with you.

It's unlikely that he'll want to meet you, I think, but if he does, he can always ask at that point.

I did this with Chuck Mitchel and got several cards, and a couple of magnetic posters (saying "Permission is NOT given to search this container etc. etc.) to put on my gun cases. Thank you Chuck.

(And yes, I know that if a gun case looks like a gun case, and is in open sight, they can search it anyway.)

StukaJr
12-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Question about the aforementioned card - if getting arrested, do I get to keep the card on my person to make the phonecall or should my phonecall be to the friend/relative with instructions to contact the lawyer?

I've never been arrested so don't know which articles I get to keep on my person.

xrMike
12-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Knowing lawyers in a round-about, general way, I'm willing to bet that not a single one of them is going to want to say "Boo!" to you until you first cough up a modest retainer.

Archenemy550
12-13-2007, 11:59 AM
Hey, is there an actual buisness card that Mike gives out? I would love to have one.

Glock22Fan
12-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Knowing lawyers in a round-about, general way, I'm willing to bet that not a single one of them is going to want to say "Boo!" to you until you first cough up a modest retainer.

As I said above, I had no difficulty getting a card from Chuck, and I didn't give him a retainer.

If the card is in your wallet, and the cops have your wallet, you just need to say "I need to call my lawyer. His number is on the card in my wallet." Much safer than expecting your friend to know what to do when you call him/her.

ohsmily
12-13-2007, 12:42 PM

That's not true. Most criminal-law firms will usually have an initial consultation with you to discuss possible options and general plans of attack should you decide to hire them. The initial consultation is usually 'no-charge.'

xrMike
12-13-2007, 1:14 PM
Wow, that's good to know. I always assumed that 99.9% of lawyers wouldn't even wipe their butts unless somebody paid them some money to do so. I learned something today.

Are you guys sure it's the actual LAWYERS that do these initial consults, and not their lackeys, secretaries, or para-legals?

CCWFacts
12-13-2007, 2:39 PM
Remember, he is trying to sell you on his services. Would you buy a car from someone who doesn't want to talk to you? Of course not! It's also a job interview. You are the employer and he is the employee. Would you hire an employee who is reluctant to meet with you? Would you hire an employee without meeting him and talking with him, to make sure he's what you're looking for and he makes a good impression on you? Of course not!

Any lawyer who is hesitant to have an initial 30min meeting with you, in which he explains his areas of practice, experience, and how he could help you, is not the attorney you want. If you do get this guy's services he will be charging you a lot of money so you you deserve to be treated as both a customer, and an employer.

ohsmily
12-13-2007, 2:51 PM
Wow, that's good to know. I always assumed that 99.9% of lawyers wouldn't even wipe their butts unless somebody paid them some money to do so. I learned something today.

Are you guys sure it's the actual LAWYERS that do these initial consults, and not their lackeys, secretaries, or para-legals?

IAAL.

First the secretary/assistant takes down basic information, then the attorney takes the call or calls back within a short period of time.

Remember, he is trying to sell you on his services. Would you buy a car from someone who doesn't want to talk to you? Of course not! It's also a job interview. You are the employer and he is the employee. Would you hire an employee who is reluctant to meet with you? Would you hire an employee without meeting him and talking with him, to make sure he's what you're looking for and he makes a good impression on you? Of course not!

Any lawyer who is hesitant to have an initial 30min meeting with you, in which he explains his areas of practice, experience, and how he could help you, is not the attorney you want. If you do get this guy's services he will be charging you a lot of money so you you deserve to be treated as both a customer, and an employer.

Exactly. Some attorneys, depending on the type of case, might literally spend HOURS speaking with somebody before the issue of money and a retainer is raised. If the person likes you and is confident in your ability, he hires you, if not, then he meets with another attorney and maybe hires him.

nona
12-13-2007, 6:33 PM
Thankyou to all for the advice you gave.

I guess I'll call. I feel a bit odd setting up a meeting to "interview" for a lawyer I do not want to ever need.

Liberty1
12-13-2007, 7:20 PM
Better to give the card to someone who's number you have memorized, like your wife's or mother's. Once you're detained, hooked, and enroute to the station, I've never known anyone to be able to access their property and especially after it has been booked safe keeping. You'll get you're three collect calls when you're allowed, make them count! :)

WokMaster1
12-13-2007, 8:46 PM
If anything happens, I am going to call Ohsmily.:p

PM me your info, please.....

What kind of law do you practice?

aileron
12-14-2007, 5:52 AM
Hey, is there an actual buisness card that Mike gives out? I would love to have one.

Donate to BlackWaterOps case and he will send you a few, if not just call them up and ask, they will probably have no problem sending some out.

aileron
12-14-2007, 5:54 AM

Donate to BlackWaterOps case and Chuck Michel will send you a few, if not just call them up and ask, they will probably have no problem sending some out.

I give them out sometimes to folks I think should have one on them.